Code of Conduct

Default Vial vs. Spray sampling

Hello everyone. I get most of my samples from Luckyscent in the .7 ml style and was wondering if it makes a difference if a sample is sprayed or dabbed or slathered on? I figured out of a sprayer it would cover more surface area, but I didn't know if it would effect the fragrance that much.

Default Re: Vial vs. Spray sampling

Whenever retailers include samples with purchases I make, I'm always grateful to get the spray ones. Like them much better.

Both works for me.....just can't have everything....so I am happy with both.
    Last edited by volley2; 31st January 2012 at 03:54 PM.

I much prefer spraying. It's a more realitic approach to testing than dabbing.

for swap/sale:

Thumbs up Re: Vial vs. Spray sampling

I don't like using dab vials anymore, You get a much better impression of the fragrance from an atomised spray.

Some of the fragrances I was looking at purchasing I like the sample but they are all in vials. I thought about buying small sprayers to put some in to see if spraying them on makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8buffering View Post
    Hello everyone. I get most of my samples from Luckyscent in the .7 ml style and was wondering if it makes a difference if a sample is sprayed or dabbed or slathered on? I figured out of a sprayer it would cover more surface area, but I didn't know if it would effect the fragrance that much.
    To be honest, I much prefer spraying. Its just better imo. You dont have to worry about anything. What I did when I knew that I have 50 samples coming my way was. I ordered 50 plastic atomizers for 25bucks, and I simply put them into that.

Definitely spray.. Best way to test something is to use and apply it the same way you would if you owned it

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8buffering View Post
    Some of the fragrances I was looking at purchasing I like the sample but they are all in vials. I thought about buying small sprayers to put some in to see if spraying them on makes a difference.
    Just goto Nordstrom and ask for some samples. They usually put them in a bag for you. Once you're left alone make another sample yourself and toss some extra empty atomizers into your bag.

You get a much truer sense of longevity with the atomizers.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

When I can get spray samples I do but the Niche ones I get from Luckyscent only come in a .7ml vial. They only limit you 2 samples per fragrance, and they have some of the harder niche fragrances to find.
    Last edited by Ih8buffering; 31st January 2012 at 05:03 PM.

Blog Entries

I buy 2.5ml atomizers in quantity and decant the glass vial samples into them for testing. I get a much better sense of the fragrance that way. Yes, the atomizers cost a bit but they save me from wasting money on a perfume that I'll later decide I don't like.

And if I order from Luckyscent I order 2 of the same scent-- that's 1.5 mls, enough for me to get a sense of it. If I need to test further I'll order again in a future order but usually 1.5mls does it.

Just found some 1.5ml spray atomizers that should do the trick. I have some fragrances like leau de desert that I really don't want to over look just from what I dab on or smell from the vial. I have quit just giving up on scents after my initial smell. I did tr same thing with Dior Homme and now I can't put it down.

I like sprays better but vials aren't too much trouble.
    Just forget using the stick and apply directly on the forehead forearm.

Are the glass and plastic 2.5ml atomizers able to be cleaned? I didn't know if you use the plastic ones if the fragrance would seep into the plastic so to speak rendering it useless to try to re use. I figured you could soak them in isopropyl alcohol and run alcohol through the atomizer.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I buy 2.5ml atomizers in quantity and decant the glass vial samples into them for testing. I get a much better sense of the fragrance that way. Yes, the atomizers cost a bit but they save me from wasting money on a perfume that I'll later decide I don't like.

And if I order from Luckyscent I order 2 of the same scent-- that's 1.5 mls, enough for me to get a sense of it. If I need to test further I'll order again in a future order but usually 1.5mls does it.
    This is word for word what I do.

I decant them into spray atomizers if they come in vials.

I dab first to get an initial impression but decant into atomizers and spray for a full days wear before purchasing a full bottle.

Sometimes fragrances smell nice dabbed but don't wear well and vice versa.

Sprays are much better when sampling because when you spray it onto your skin it will rest and develop normally but with a dabber it will come I contact with your skin when you are holding inland you will rub it is slightly ( which is bad)

I prefer to spray too. I got a bunch of little atomizers and dump vials and decant minis into them. I've given up on trying to clean them. You may be able to with some EDCs and things with poor longevity. I tried cleaning A Back to Black spray sample - no dice. That one's going to smell like B2B for 20 years, I think.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I ordered plastic atomizers versus the glass since there was a big price difference in the 2.5 ml size. I have some Bond No.9 samples and some Creed samples to test out along with about 20 from Luckyscent. The guy at Saks was nice enough to give me a sample of Royal OUD. Sad part is most Creeds dont do well on my skin and the Bonds do.

Hey Heperd. Have you ordered any of these? If you got some, were yours any good?

I got a bunch because they were so cheap, but didn't have great luck with them. The spray tops seemed a bit too big, so when you screw them on they never get tight. When it should get tight it just jumps the thread and gets loose. I ended up tossing about half of them, and have to tape the rest to make sure they stay on.

Ive gone through about 100 of them with testing and giving samples away. The first lot I got a few months ago were terrible. Like you said the tops were loose and would pop right off. Wrapping the threads with teflon plumbers tape fixed that problem though. Bit of a pain but with how cheap they are i guess it was worth it.
    The last lot i ordered were much better, they must have re-calibrated the machines in China. Out of 50 all but about 5 were tight fitting. I still wrapped the threads for extra precaution.
    The 8ml sample vials on there are very high quality. They are what I use to carry multiple frags when traveling.

Teflon tape - that's a great idea! I'll try that with the ones I have that are still loose. Good to know that they are better now.

I agree about the 8ml ones - the ones I got were great. Their ~30ml glass atomizer bottles are decent as well.

I also get a vast majority of my samples from the luckyscent folks (straight from the source), and now I always put the juice in an atomizer before sampling. I wasn't convinced there was much difference until my Petrana experience. Spraying really opens up the pepper note, and it's quite a different fragrance for the first hour or so depending on application method. I get my atomizers from accessoriesforfragrances.com, and I get them 50 at a time. It's also nice to always have some on hand for swapping and travel.

Don't re-use any plastic parts with a different fragrance. You're right, the scent "seeps" in and can contaminate your new sample! Glass parts can be re-used, but I have yet to find an atomizer with a glass sprayer...

That is what I was thinking. Guess I made a good decision to go with the cheaper plastic ones since even with glass the sprayer would be still lingering of the last fragrance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    I dab first to get an initial impression but decant into atomizers and spray for a full days wear before purchasing a full bottle.

Sometimes fragrances smell nice dabbed but don't wear well and vice versa.
    agree ...