Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Artisan parfumeur - Sville l'aube

l just finished reading the book & found it a fascinating read; a wonderful story interspersed with lots of interesting historical information & fascinating characters. l recommend it to any "perfume lover". Unfortunately l can't make it to Covent Garden today, but l very much look forward to trying this perfume!
    To those who have tried it, how does the longevity compare with other L'Artisans? l have had issues with lack of longevity with them in the past.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Ya, L'artisan's longevity stinks from what I have tested. Drole De Rose..such a good scent but it's really a pity it doesn't last. Wouldn't spend the money on it. I don't know about this one though.

Foody mess? No orange blossom...mmm and mint? Idk about that. Licorice yes, mess...not so much. I still wanna try it though.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Basenotes Institution

It was persistently boring on me, got good 5 hours of it and the elbow creases smelled even longer. Isn't it always like this: stuff you don't like lasts and lasts? LOL

I would say medium longevity, worse than Timbuktu or Dzonghka and better than many other L'Artisans.

I forgot about Dzing/Dzonghka..those seem to last ok from what I remember. Never tried Timbuktu though.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    Thank you I'm fully enjoying it, for sure it's my best new summer scent this year.

Hope it will be soon available because it's beautiful in this season (heard a rumor for a september release )
    I have been wearing it myself. To me the orange blossom/lavender/incense combination are all there. I like this one.
    Currently wearing: Guirlandes by Carven

Blog Entries

Haven't tried this one yet....not sure if I will. Orange blossom is more my sister's thing than mine. L'Artisan's in general are working really, really well for me here in the midwest, uch more so than when I lived in the northeast.

I get wonderful longevity from Passage d'Enfer, Mure et Musc Extreme, Dzing!, Tea for Two, Timbuktu & Dzongkha. In general, I do not believe L'Artisans are particularly "known" for their longevity. Do you all agree?
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I acquired a couple of mls of Sville L'Aube, and have worn it twice now.

I've seen it characterized as L'Artisan's new orange blossom soliflore, but for me it is not a soliflore. The orange blossom took second place to the incense and benzoin notes, which dominate throughout, and more so as the scent dries down.

I didn't find it indolic at all.

Although it's sweet if sniffed directly, it isn't so sweet as it wafts up. I noticed the orange blossom right away, and also a root beer note (I didn't just imagine that; my daughter took one whiff and said she smelled root beer. I've noticed this note with several other fragrances, including AdP Mandorlo di Sicilia and Hilde Soliani Conaffetto, the latter also being an orange blossom fragrance.)

The incense was there from the start, and a balsamic note, slightly creamy (the benzoin, I suppose.) It was a little smokey at first, but not as much as Avignon. I didn't get the lavender or beeswax.
    Edit: Maybe I didn't pick up on the lavender because of the different variety it is, according to the interview with Duchafour, see: http://www.basenotes.net/content/133...ville--l-aube
    When I try it again, I'll see if I can detect that.

For me this was basically an incense + orange blossom scent, emphasis on the incense. I didn't find this a "sexy" perfume, notwithstanding the backstory about the night in Seville that was its inspiration.

The scent lasted over 7 hours on my skin, but I got tired of the incense going on and on; in the end it became monotonous.

I will give it this: a little goes a long way. I just used one spray to the chest area.

My advice: Try before you buy, unless you are crazy about incense and don't have the opportunity to test it first (given that it's a limited edition.)
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 2nd August 2012 at 05:47 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Great review, 30R. Thanks a lot, you might save some people a few clams.

I attended the Duchaufour and Beaulieu talk in Covent Garden the other week.
    I enjoyed the opening (and we smelt the raw materials used including the Seville lavender which was extremely resinous like labdanum) - it was the unusual lavender and as 30 Roses says - an orange blossom quite devoid of the indoles which was surprising.
    Unfortunately on me the beeswax/incense create a myrrh like texture and all came out to quick on my skin. On paper the brightness from the beginning was very nice, but the quick straight-to-drydown accord that came out on my skin was unappealing, it wasn't any incense I was familiar with and the whole composition is extremely subtle.
    Having said that - others that were at the talk who tried it on their skin had a lot more luck than myself - it was amazing how different it was on different skin - don't blind buy!

...it reminds me of Giorgio Beverly Hills for Women: anyone else the same experience...?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...it reminds me of Giorgio Beverly Hills for Women: anyone else the same experience...?
    That surprises me. I can't stand Giorgio and can smell it from a mile away; it actually gives me a sick headache. The sweetness in particular gags me.

Seville L'aub
    e doesn't remind me of it in any way, and although I don't wish to wear it, it doesn't repel me the way Giorgio does.

Basenotes Institution

This is a tricky one indeed.

I have been sampling it several times over the past month. I keep Trying To Like It. I hate it when I do that, but sometimes it happens - the back story, the perfumer, the line...I love them all. So I keep trying it hoping that it will click. Sometimes Duchaufour scents are like this (I detested Dzonghka the first time I smelled it, now I love it...same for many others). However this one just rubs me the wrong way.

I think it is very strong and very orange blossom prominent on my skin. And, unlike 30 Roses, it is extremely indolic on me - I smell very unwashed when I wear it. Now I am totally okay with smelling unwashed or skanky, I love many scents like this, but I don't like this scent so the 'dirtiness' just adds to the overall annoyance.

(sigh)
    "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you will ever have."

-- Eckhart Tolle