Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Xerjoff's Dhofar & Uden - Impressions

Today I received a bunch of samples and among them were Uden and Dhofar - the first Xerjoffs I ever smelled. I have them on for a couple of hours now and am acutally quite baffled by the similarities with way, way cheaper fragrances - although of very significant higher quality.

Dhofar: I like it a lot and is a contender for the "Buy somtime, maybe"-list. What it reminds me of is a more sparkling version of Quorum, later on it also bears similarities with Querelle! It's definetly in the style of those 80ies masculine powerhouses with some added sparkling freshness. This style is a favourite of mine but is it worth the monstrous price tag? Phew... though one!

Uden: Wow, this really smells aquatic in the opening. Pretty nice and high quality but far from what I expected from a critically acclaimed super-luxe fragrance. When it gets into the heart notes, it morphs into a slightly better but otherwise quite similar version of "The Dreamer". I would never shell out that kind of money for Uden. Edit: I did shower in the meantime but there's still quite something left (presumably the basenotes) and I have to say they smell gorgeous. What is left of the fragrance reminds me a bit of Millesime Imperial's or GIT's base.

I am surprised I don't see these comparisons made by other people so far. What is your take on them? Which other Xerjoffs would you recommend me (apart from "try them all")?
    Last edited by Nasenmann; 3rd February 2012 at 02:18 PM.

Default Re: Xerjoff's Dhofar & Uden - Impressions

Thanks for your impressions on these two as we could do with more reviews and info on the Xerjoff line up. Their shooting stars sample box is very tempting with six 15ml bottles of the mens range for 160 Euros/$226. Especially compared to Pure Distance M which is 17.5ml for about the same price give or take a few euros/dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered my samples from "Aus Liebe Zum Duft" (aka "First In Fragrance) for the reasonable price of 8€ per vial.

Post Thanks / Like

Uden is ok, I've tried it a couple times... I'm not sure about the combination of aquatic notes and coffee, seems odd and they kinda clash instead of blend together very well.

The only other one I've tried so far is Kobe, it is a very nice citrus/oud combo, very high quality and maybe worth the price if you love it. I enjoy it but won't fork out the cash for this.

Post Thanks / Like

Uden is one of the dullest Xerjoffs. I mean I can eat hot sauce with custard but does it really make sense? No...neither does coffee and aquatics and the result, despite Xerjoff's attempt to be 'unique' just doesn't work. Also it has a mini-me marine note but its not enough to label it a 'marine fougere'....there's just way too much coffee and vanilla in the composition.
    -

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Uden is a quite generic/unremarkable woody-vanilla imo. Dhofar's lavender/coriander/pine combo in the opening is, so far, one of the worst things happened to perfumery. Just meh...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Thanks for your impressions on these two as we could do with more reviews and info on the Xerjoff line up. Their shooting stars sample box is very tempting with six 15ml bottles of the mens range for 160 Euros/$226. Especially compared to Pure Distance M which is 17.5ml for about the same price give or take a few euros/dollars.
    I have to agree with you there, this the best bang for your buck to get into or have fragrances from this house
    Last edited by Oupavoc; 1st March 2012 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Uden is one of the dullest Xerjoffs.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Uden is ok, I've tried it a couple times... I'm not sure about the combination of aquatic notes and coffee, seems odd and they kinda clash instead of blend together very well.
    Bump

I'm trying Uden today as my SOTD and your impressions is what I'm getting. The citrus/aquatic notes with rum and coffee do seem to clash. Its really weird the scent just does not come together at all and seem to be in conflict with each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed on Dhofar. It is a bit similar to Querelle. Great stuff! Uden is one of my Xerjoff favorits. Very complex and unique. Expencive, but It`s worth it! I own Kobe, Modoc, Uden and Fars, and I absolutely love all of them. Oroville and Dhofar are on my wish-list ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Xerjoff: I am dissapointed with the creativity and originality. I am overwhelmed and amazed by their quality.
    It is as if someone decided to do familiar accords (even well known frags) with the highest quality of ingredients imaginable.

That being said, Uden and Dhofar are (imho) the worst of the Xerjoff line. Boring, unimpressive and generic.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the pleasure of trying Uden today after wanted to sniff it for a while after reading the notes. And Is there anyone out there that feels me when I say that the top of this Fragrance is strikingly similar to Frapin's L'Humaniste? I happen to love L'Humaniste so in turn I do indeed love this...Of course the dry down changes the frag and is way more complex and creamy with some Vanilla. I really really enjoy it. I happen to think this would be beautiful on a Spring Summer Night.
    Im not going to lie to you; that smells like pure gasoline.