Code of Conduct

Default Agaraura Oud Chypre

Has anyone tried this yet? I just ordered a sample, as another leather chypre is my favorite frag, Puredistance M. I have tried other agaraura mukhallats, Tropica and Nippon Koh, and have been very impressed so I have high hopes for Oud Chypre. The only other high quality oils I have tried are Amouage Homage and Tribute... and IMO, agaraura's products are in a different league and make Amouage's creations seem weak and synthetic by comparison.

As luck would have it, it's their least expensive offering at $100 for 2.6 grams, I'd guess that comes to around 3 mL as water is 1g/mL, oil is usually lighter than water. Seems pricey, but their other mukhallats only require a tiny smear of oil, you could probably wear the 2.6g bottle several hundred times.

http://agaraura.com/chypre.html

Default Re: Agaraura Oud Chypre

oud, leather and chypre.
    it's like music to my ears.

This is promising too:

"Please note that since only ingredients derived from natural sources were used, natural oakmoss extract (a crucial part of chypre fragrances) is part of this blend. Allergies to oakmoss are mild and extremely rare, but do exist."

maybe (hopefully) not to IFRA specifications?...

I got my sample in the mail, there was a mix-up but I was well taken care of and received a double-sized sample to make up for it.

I was really looking forward to trying this, I like chypres and oud... a lot of mukhallats are made with lower grade oud, but this one has oud from Borneo in it, which is a personal preference. This was also made using real oak moss with no regard to IFRA's restrictions on the material, another bonus!

This starts out with grapefruit and rose on top, then a woody, sort of bitter and dark accord that involves patchouli, oak moss and oud. The other aspect of oud, especially Borneo oud,is a sparkling "medicinal" facet. This is evident, but it has been modified by one of the other ingredients, or possibly is a characteristic of the oud used in the blend... in any case it has a camphorus, minty vibe to it... it's not exactly any of these things, but that's the closest I can come to describing it. It's not immediately identifiable as the medicinal note in oud either, but is sort of a combination of the medicinal and minty/camphorous notes. After a while it settles down a bit and the chypre accord really gels. It is very natural feeling, it has a similar vibe to DSH and Soivohle all natural frags. But with all the oud oil I'm guessing longevity is going to be very good, which can be an issue with all natural frags. Potency is very, very high, meeting or exceeding Amouage's Tribute attar for a point of reference. One tiny drop from the plastic wand-applicator in a sample vial is enough to give it a try, I'd probably use twice that for a full wear. You could likely wear 1 mL 100 times.

edit: I said before this was a leather chypre, but I think it's more of a woody chypre. I could see how some might get leather or hints of it, but to me it not overtly leathery.

I'm going to wear this a few times first, but I'm thinking this is worthy of a purchase. It is $100 for a tiny amount, probably 3mL, but it is so potent it is like buying a 100 mL of a typical EDT.

They also just released Layali, a rose oud combo that I also have a sample of... it's $180... I'm afraid to try it for my wallet's sake, it sounds like I'd like it:

http://agaraura.com/layali.html
    Last edited by Dorje123; 6th March 2012 at 03:48 AM.

I was going to write about this as I just wore it yesterday. I own a bunch of Agaraura pure oud oils but in the past have only bought samples of his mukhallats. All of them were good but I never bought bottles. This time I bought full size bottles of Oud Chype, Khashab, and Idaina Dento along with a bottle of the pure oil Borneo Noir.

Oud Chypre is great! The top notes of rose and grapefruit are nice but the drydown where the Borneo oud and oakmoss shine. I don't get any leather out of this but it is still a great fragrance. Also yes $100 is a good deal because this stuff is so potent you just need a couple of tiny drops.

Khashab is nice but a bit of a let down for me. It just hasn't clicked with me yet.
    Idaino Dento is amazing. My favorite of the three I ordered.
    I havent tried Layali yet but my brother tried it and said it isn't a typical oud-rose mix which is a good thing for me.
    Al Arabiya I have a sample of and debating whether to buy a whole bottle. Something in the top notes I don't like but the drydown is very nice.
    AgarAura has very nice stuff and the owner Taha is great. He is a fellow Basenoter too.
    For pure oud oils AgarAura and Oriscent are the best.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I also have samples of some of their older mukhallats, I wish I had bought Tropica (Borneo oud, rose, ambergris). I have a sample of Idaina and their older version Koh... they are both good but samples are enough of these for me. I got a tiny, tiny bit of Khashab in the shipping mix-up, I like woody but for me Oud Chypre is woody enough and much more interesting. I have not tried Al Arabiya.

I'm jealous of your bottle of Borneo Noir though, I couldn't try it because they didn't offer samples and it was nearly $500... out of my budget! I'll stick to the .2 mL samples of the pure oils for now, lol. I could see buying Oud Chypre though, it's really affordable for what it is, IMO.

Here is what the owner, Taha, said about the camphorous note:

Ahh, the camphor note in Oud Chypre..... that is actually a very precious essential oil, extracted from Lignum Vitae (Tree of Life). One of the cornerstones of old-school chypres is camphoraceous patchouli. Another cornerstone is woodiness. Lignum Vitae encompasses both the camphoraceous as well as woody aspects, making it perfect for using in a chypre blend.
    There's actual patchouli in the blend too of course. And there's Borneo oud. Patchouli is supplemented by the camphoraceousness and the Borneo oud (bright and crisp itself) is exalted by the bright crisp woodiness of Lignum Vitae.

I bought Oud Chypre and Layali, will have to start a new thread on Layali here soon... I want to wear it for a while first so I have a good handle on it.
    Last edited by Dorje123; 20th March 2012 at 03:49 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Wow, this sounds awesome

How much are samples Dorje123?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wow, this sounds awesome

How much are samples Dorje123?
    Samples are $12 for .2 mL. It sounds expensive but .2 mL is a huge sample, good for many wearings.

Samples of Layali and Idaina Dento are a little more expensive, but both are worth trying as well. I bought Layali, a masculine rose-oud combo with a similar vibe to Tribute and I have a sample of Idaina, if you like incense and oud it is a must-try IMO.

http://www.agaraura.com/mukh.html

EDIT: I previously said Oud Chypre was sold out, that was a mix-up, it was another one that sold out and there is still some Oud Chypre left. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by Dorje123; 20th March 2012 at 03:50 PM.

Sounds tempting,
    by the way how do you compare Oud Chypre with Tropica, if I'm not wrong they both contain borneo oud, which one do you prefer?
    Everytime I found those pure oud oils and mukhallats samples in the mail box, I'm like a child on christmas day lol Very interesting to sample

They look very impressive and I have been meaning to get some samples but I am knee deep in samples from other places and just have not got around to trying them. Though I know that those concentrated pure perfume oils they use in their mukhallats are going to be of real luxurious opulence that make even Amouage smell cheap.

I'm gonna have to get those samples some time this year. Agaraura is a hidden gem of a company.

I obtained a sample of Oud Chypre, a couple of weeks ago, and found it to be very pleasant but I do wish that a small dose of either ambergris or some animalic musk was added.

As for whether or not it’s worth buying, let’s put it this way: every time I apply some on my arm, within minutes, I completely forget that I’m wearing. I only remember over 12 hours later. That rarely happens to me, so I’m seeing this as a not too positive sign.

It's definitely worth sampling though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I obtained a sample of Oud Chypre, a couple of weeks ago, and found it to be very pleasant but I do wish that a small dose of either ambergris or some animalic musk was added.

As for whether or not it’s worth buying, let’s put it this way: every time I apply some on my arm, within minutes, I completely forget that I’m wearing. I only remember over 12 hours later. That rarely happens to me, so I’m seeing this as a not too positive sign.

I'm wearing a sample of this right this minute. Nice stuff. The rose is a very true rose, unadultered fresh from the garden rose. I wasn't quite ready for that, I'm so use to my rose a la Calice Becker style (jammy rose). The oud is very nice, (no stench) and a little dab will last all day. Am I going to buy some more? Probably not, not because it's not good enough though. I just have an aternative to get a similar effect. Layer Oud Luban and Highness Rose - not exactly the same, but good enough for me.

I'm going to sample Layali tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by l'improviste View Post
    Sounds tempting,
    by the way how do you compare Oud Chypre with Tropica, if I'm not wrong they both contain borneo oud, which one do you prefer?
    Everytime I found those pure oud oils and mukhallats samples in the mail box, I'm like a child on christmas day lol Very interesting to sample
    Tropica is much simpler... oud, rose and ambergris. Oud Chypre is as much about the chypre as the oud. In Tropica the oud is more dominant, although there is a pretty good amount of rose too. It's too hard to say which I prefer though... they are different enough I'd like to own both, so maybe Tropica will be remade someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

Try applying it to the same places you would normally apply a perfume. I get whiffs of it all day. Agaraura also has suggestions for application too. A small dab on your arm is enough to "test" it but not to wear it IMO.

This was my mini-review of Oud Chypre: "This is perhaps the most amazing chypre I've ever tried. In fact, this puts all other "leather chypres" to shame! The opening rose and grapefruit is stunning and the basic "chypre" middle notes are extraordinary, very woodsy and mossy, smelling almost like the inside of a very old chest. Finally, as the oud begins to show, I'm getting notes of leather, very rich, dark, supple leather. I wouldn't buy this because of the oud but because this completely pushes the boundaries of chypre construction."

And then I bought a bottle. In fact, I'm wearing it right now and love it. In true artistic fashion, this really does push the boundaries of what the timeless classic construction of a chypre can do.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'm wearing a sample of this right this minute. Nice stuff. The rose is a very true rose, unadultered fresh from the garden rose. I wasn't quite ready for that, I'm so use to my rose a la Calice Becker style (jammy rose). The oud is very nice, (no stench) and a little dab will last all day. Am I going to buy some more? Probably not, not because it's not good enough though. I just have an aternative to get a similar effect. Layer Oud Luban and Highness Rose - not exactly the same, but good enough for me.

I'm going to sample Layali tomorrow.
    Glad you like it! I will check out Oud Luban too.

Layali is on the other end of the oud spectrum... dark, rich and opulent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    They also just released Layali, a rose oud combo that I also have a sample of... it's $180... I'm afraid to try it for my wallet's sake, it sounds like I'd like it:

http://agaraura.com/layali.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post

Layali is on the other end of the oud spectrum... dark, rich and opulent.
    My sample of Layali just arrived today. It's a truely beautiful fragrance. As Dorje123 said, dark, rich, and opulent!
    Mark K