Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Fragrancenet

Default Re: concerns about fragrancenet.com

Every time I order, I get an Exceptional sample and a compact mirror. The Exceptional is pretty generic... not something I would buy. The 'basenotes' coupon doesn't work anymore but 'cpmc2' does.

Default FragranceNet - Really that bad?

HI everyone, I placed an order with FragranceNet 2 days ago, today I received an e-mail telling me it has been shipped to Australia. So while I'm waiting for it to arrive I decided to look research more on the GIT I purchased and on FragranceNet.

Came across this review site http://www.resellerratings.com/store/FragranceNet and I have to say I'm more than moderately concerned about everything mentioned by reviewers. Fake or ruined juice seems to be the common occurrence for some?

Default Re: FragranceNet - Really that bad?

I haven't had problems with them, but I guess they may have sent wrong juice and I'm too new to perfumes to tell! I've ordered from them several times. I did have a dispute with dotfragrance, but luckily Paypal refunded my money as the company was unreachable.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

I've ordered from them twice with no problems - both orders were for minis (ca. US$15 each) that I was having trouble tracking down elsewhere.

Judging from the reviews at the link you posted I might think twice about ordering from them again, though there's of course a good chance that you won't have any problem with your order either. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Anyone from Australia ever bought a bottle from them? How long did it take to deliver? Got an email from them with subject "FragranceNet.com - order shipped - International" with message "Your order has been shipped via the USPS International Mail service".

It'll take about 3-4 weeks (sydney)

Sucks having to wait that long, on top of reading the crappy reviews, but I got my Creeds' in mint condition *touchwood*

Thanks Dribs, did you receive email notification when it passed Australian custom? I received an e-mail saying it was shipped internationally but nothing else after that.

Having ordered from fragrancenet.com on more than one occasion there are only two areas of concern for me:

1) Their shipping department needs a refresher course in Packing 101, although I have never had any leakage or breakage problems they are an accident waiting to happen... Bubble wrap around boxed & unboxed bottles should be a given.

2) I purchased a Creed from them that was "Grey Market", serial number was ground off bottle and painted over. Since price was half of what you would pay elsewhere many people wouldn't have a problem with this but I wouldn't buy another Creed from them again.

Overall Grade - C+

Not the best out there, not the worst either. Their shipping is reasonable fast, ok packaging, no problems except for fishy advertisements and e-mails asking you to sign up for stupid shit you don't need (read unprofessional).

My best recommendation is, don't buy something expensive from there. Overall it's an average store for cheap bottles.

So where would you buy something expensive from that's genuine. If I know other places where I can get my next Creed and Tom Ford from I would.

As for shipping guess I will have to wait another 3 weeks, since it's only been 1 week since the order has been shipped to Australia. Will I have to keep driving to the post office everyday or do I get email notification that it has arrived?

Exclamation Updated: Recant / Won't ever buy from Fragrancenet, Beauty Encounter or online shops ever again.

Man, this is the second time I have gotten burned ordering from one of these shops. I just purchased Burberry London after sniffing a sample vial that I had. In the sample, it seems more fresh and lively than the one I purchased online. The one I purchased just smells stale. I did have the sample for quite a while, has there been a reformulation? Could it be the way they store their fragrances? All I know is they smell nothing alike.

Has this happened to anyone else?

From now on, I will be purchasing from reputable stores like Macy's, Sephora, Nordstrom etc., even at the inflated price. It's not worth the disappointment. Sorry for the rant.

Update: See my latest post in this thread. Apologies.
    Last edited by b0n3z; 9th September 2010 at 10:52 AM.

Default Re: Won't ever buy from Fragrancenet, Beauty Encounter or online shops ever again.

I haven't had any problems with Beauty Encounter, and I purchase fragrances from them frequently.
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Default Re: Won't ever buy from Fragrancenet, Beauty Encounter or online shops ever again.

Beauty Encounter seems like a very reliable site. Fragrancenet on the other hand, meh, miss or hit. Don't ever buy something expensive from there.

As a side note -- each of the bottles I am complaining about are no longer available at the sizes I purchased them at. Could I have gotten the last ones?

Blog Entries

^good chance you did in fact get an old bottle. I got 1 Million from Fragrance.net, that being my only experience with em, and it was just as good as any retailer. Amazon.com is pretty reliable as well, I got John Varvatos from there and it was absolutely perfect

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    As a side note -- each of the bottles I am complaining about are no longer available at the sizes I purchased them at. Could I have gotten the last ones?
    Well, while I'm sure Fragrancenet sells authentic items, I doubt their bottles are necessarily well stored. Or to be more specific, most of these companies that sell perfumes at highly discounted price probably get them from sources that don't properly store, e.g. shipments that have been cooking in the sun for days, or batches from stores that have been closed for many years.

Usually a high quality well sealed fragrance that is at the same time not constructed from high amounts of pure oil/animal oils last a very long time, your average perfume will take years to go bad unless it's been cooked for a long time or is it properly sealed. You might have gotten a bad one for any of those reasons, or it was just a bad batch from the manufacturer. If you're really that unsatisfied, try contacting them. Else move on, if you don't want to order online that's your thing, Yes fragrances are one of the riskier products to order online, however you'll be missing on a lot, and paying more as well. But if paying more makes you feel safe, and you don't care about fragrances not available in your area, it's no biggie is it?

I'm sorry that you feel burned. I think we've all been there before and we all know how bad that sucks. However, let me provide you with some consolation. I don't want to insult your intelligence and imply that you can't distinguish the difference between a fresh and stale fragrance, but I've noticed in my experience that fragrances don't always smell the same sprayed from a bottle as they do fresh from a sample vial, even once applied to skin. There is something unique, which I can't explain, that takes place when a fragrance is sprayed from a bottle. In my experience, the top notes, which in most cases are the bright, fruity or fresh notes of a fragrance, are much more pronounced when smelt from a vial. I can name at least 5 fragrances of hand that have resulted in this perception. Even though there is a chance that its gone stale, I would try testing your bottle against the same bottle of cologne in a Macy's or Sephora before swearing off online retailers. Burberry London can definitely be found there.

Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    I would try testing your bottle against the same bottle of cologne in a Macy's or Sephora before swearing off online retailers. Burberry London can definitely be found there.
    Thanks. I already had doing that in mind.

My stuff from Fragrancenet has had the UPC code cut out of a smashed box and replaced with a thin UPC sticker. Green Irish Tweed had a pretty chipped up lid. 1 Million had a smashed box and Burberry London at Nordstroms has a completely different numbering style.

That being said, the juices were all first rate and were every bit as good as what I'd get at ''proper'' purveyors. I'm giving them another go around before I render too much judgement either positive or negative.

Are they a purveyor of closeouts and occasionally boxed in non-original boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    the UPC code cut out of a smashed box . . . . had a pretty chipped up lid . . . . had a smashed box . . . has a completely different numbering style
    And you're ordering more?

That scene in The Deer Hunter springs to mind . . . playing Russion roulette

I think what we get from these discounters many times are fragrances meant for markets in other countries. This is why the packaging can be different. Also with Creed I've noticed Arabic on inserts which I've never seen when I buy directly from Neiman Marcus or the Creed boutique.

Other markets is a definite in my opinion. 1 Million is coming to the US as of September 2010, yet Fragrancenet had it for US sale for how long before that?

Yeah I hear yuh on the concerns....I use Creed Boutique/Luckyscent/Parfumsraffy for my Creeds, Serge Lutens, Amouage, etc. now. The others from FragNet were blind buys on a fantastic sale purchased in a two day period and I wanted some cheapies so I didn't really care too much at the time. As I throw the box away, it's condition upon arrival means nothing to me. The London methinks was simply for a different market as it behaves and smells just like my London from a Well Known Department Store.

Blog Entries

I'm cheap so I've been going with cheap buys from Scented Monkey, free shipping! No problems so far, though they are not good at answering email questions, you might also want to consider Geekbro.com, they have a growing selection.

I've been happy with eBay purchases too, many sellers seem to have this immense fear of getting neg feedback so they are quick to fix a problem, in my experiences.

I've noticed that problem with vial vs. bottle with Millesime Imperiale, so try it and see.

Of the sites you listed, I think Beauty Encounter is the best. BUT, they seem to sell at or near retail.

I bought Allure Edition Blanche from Fragrancenet a while ago. From the product descriptions which said it did not have a box, I figured it was a tester even though the website did not explicitly say so. When it arrived, I noticed that on the back side of the bottle there was a patch of paint scratched out exposing the glass underneath; please see the attached picture. From the look of the scratch, in my opinion, it was not accidental but a deliberate act to disguise or remove something on the bottle. Given that the fragrance itself was good, I didnít want to go through the trouble of sending it back through international shipping and so forth. From this experience, I am apprehensive about purchasing from Fragrancenet again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

By the way, I have made a few purchases with Strawberrynet and can recommend them.

Have ordered so many times, and for years, from Beauty Encounter and all I've encountered till date is pure awesomeness.
    Last edited by Killer_Vavoom; 8th September 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Well, I wouldn't buy Creeds from Fragrancenet after my Millesime Imperial fiasco. But I've ordered many designers from them and never had a problem. I'm very surprised that Burberry London doesn't smell right, considering how common and inexpensive it is. I agree with the suggestion to compare it with a department store tester. If it doesn't smell right, return it.

I've been buying from Beauty Encounter for years and never had one problem.

fountain

on the strength of the favourable reviews on bn, i purchased lapidus pour homme from fragrancex.com. contrary to the many fantastic opinions here, it turned out a skin scent, not a sillage monster. it is supposed to last 16+ hours while, on my skin, it holds for a mere 6 hours. am i to assume they sell fakes/diluted products? i've been waiting for ps by paul sebastian now. if it turns out 'watered down,' i'm not going to order from that shop ever again. has anybody here had a bad experience with fragrancex pls? i doubt the lapidus issue has got to do with my slight skin dryness for other 'powerhouse' colognes last on me for 1547 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Fountain View Post
    on the strength of the favourable reviews on bn, i purchased lapidus pour homme from fragrancex.com. contrary to the many fantastic opinions here, it turned out a skin scent, not a sillage monster. it is supposed to last 16+ hours while, on my skin, it holds for a mere 6 hours. am i to assume they sell fakes/diluted products? i've been waiting for ps by paul sebastian now. if it turns out 'watered down,' i'm not going to order from that shop ever again. has anybody here had a bad experience with fragrancex pls? i doubt the lapidus issue has got to do with my slight skin dryness for other 'powerhouse' colognes last on me for 1547 hours
    This is a tough one because I have experienced a similar frustration with Versace Dreamer. I am very confident that FragranceX sells good products, but I wonder if your bottle is old. Lapidus PH isn't exactly a hot seller, and there's a good chance their stock sits on the self for a long time before being sold. I have sampled this from a vial and it wasn't a sillage monster but not a skin scent either.

I never had any problems with fragrancenet. All the fragrances that i bought there were fresh, and I always got great deals there. I`ve already bought there Jaipur Man Edp, Jaipur Fraicheur, Kenzo Jungle, Kouros Fraicheur, Heritage EDP, L'Instant Extreme Edp, Egoiste Cologne Concentree, Allure Edition Blanche, Lancome Magnifique (for a friend), Van Cleef & Arpels Feerie Edp, Rouge Royal, Angel B Men Collector Edition. All them come fresh, well wrapped, so i may count as a positve case for the store.

Quote Originally Posted by scensation View Post
    I bought Allure Edition Blanche from Fragrancenet a while ago. From the product descriptions which said it did not have a box, I figured it was a tester even though the website did not explicitly say so. When it arrived, I noticed that on the back side of the bottle there was a patch of paint scratched out exposing the glass underneath; please see the attached picture. From the look of the scratch, in my opinion, it was not accidental but a deliberate act to disguise or remove something on the bottle. Given that the fragrance itself was good, I didn’t want to go through the trouble of sending it back through international shipping and so forth. From this experience, I am apprehensive about purchasing from Fragrancenet again.
    Mine allure edition blanche is the unboxed one too, but it didn`t have any black marks or scratched paint...

I haven't had an unpleasant experience with any of the online vendors that I've done business with. I don't shop with one particular vendor. I do extensive searches for the cheapest price, and go with whoever that is. Now if the price difference is small, and I can either go with a vendor I've purchased from or one that I haven't, I got with the one I know.

fountain

This is a tough one because I have experienced a similar frustration with Versace Dreamer. I am very confident that FragranceX sells good products, but I wonder if your bottle is old. Lapidus PH isn't exactly a hot seller, and there's a good chance their stock sits on the self for a long time before being sold. I have sampled this from a vial and it wasn't a sillage monster but not a skin scent either.
    thank you timkm1. now that makes me apprehensive that the paul sebastian i ordered had spent the last 20 years on a brightly-lit shelf in a morroccan heat.

I've never had a problem with FragranceX or FragranceNet, but Scented Monkey is not a site that I particularly trust anymore. I ordered L'eau D'issey PH and bought one for my room mate at a fragrance vendor in the mall, and the difference in strength was huge! Scented Monkey may be cheap, but I don't think their products are properly stored at all!

Seems like with a fragrance like Burberry London, they would have had to pretty far out of their way to cause it to go stale.

I have half a bottle of London that I bought new when the fragrance was first released. It has been sitting on top of my bathroom shelf since purchase. It must be over 4 years old.

It still smells exactly like a brand new bottle.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I would try testing your bottle against the same bottle of cologne in a Macy's or Sephora before swearing off online retailers. Burberry London can definitely be found there.
    Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    Thanks. I already had doing that in mind.

You aren't going to believe this. So I actually went to Sephora last night to test my bottle against the one in the store. The bottle I received matched the store's perfectly and I couldn't believe it. I then proceeded to sniff the original Burberry and BANG that was the scent I was after. Turns out, the carded sample vial marked "Burberry London" I had purchased from Beauty Encounter a few years back (I think it was called something else back then) had the original Burberry's juice in it. I was stunned needless to say, and I walked out of Sephora with a bottle of the original Burberry. Interesting turn of events eh?

I am recanting my original statements, but I am still going to be leary from here on out with online shops. Was the error with the sample vial made by Beauty Encounter, or did it come from the Burberry factory that way? I'll never know.

Default Re: Updated: Recant / Won't ever buy from Fragrancenet, Beauty Encounter or online shops ever again.

Actually, I believe the "Original" was originally marketed under the name London. After a while, they took the "London" out and gave that name to the more recent release (Burberry London). Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this to be the case.

Default Re: Updated: Recant / Won't ever buy from Fragrancenet, Beauty Encounter or online shops ever again.

ah, yes... here is an ebay listing of Burberry Classic with the "London" still intact on the bottle.

I'm unaffiliated with the ebay seller, of course.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BURBERRY-LONDON-...item43a1421302

Sorry I didn't catch this before. It should have occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    ah, yes... here is an ebay listing of Burberry Classic with the "London" still intact on the bottle.

I'm unaffiliated with the ebay seller, of course.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BURBERRY-LONDON-...item43a1421302

Sorry I didn't catch this before. It should have occurred to me.
    Thanks so much for that! You learn something new everyday.

Sorry about Your experience.....This is why I rarely purchase from on line sites.....The savings is not worth the risk for me!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by scensation View Post
    I bought Allure Edition Blanche from Fragrancenet a while ago. From the product descriptions which said it did not have a box, I figured it was a tester even though the website did not explicitly say so. When it arrived, I noticed that on the back side of the bottle there was a patch of paint scratched out exposing the glass underneath; please see the attached picture. From the look of the scratch, in my opinion, it was not accidental but a deliberate act to disguise or remove something on the bottle. Given that the fragrance itself was good, I didnít want to go through the trouble of sending it back through international shipping and so forth. From this experience, I am apprehensive about purchasing from Fragrancenet again.
    Actually, as far as I know and from personal experience, other friends/family personal experiences with fragrancenet, they tend to try and scratch out serial numbers from bottles that are not wrapped in cellaphane. Where your bottle is scratched out in black, that is where blanche edition shows its serial number and since you received it unboxed, that is why it is scratched out. I'm not sure why they do that but I'm sure the fragrance is authentic.

I've bought many fragrances from FragranceX and never had a problem with them - same with Ebay.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Burberry's choice to reuse the London name for a completely different scent is rather asinine. Sorry that this caused you all sorts of problems, B0n3z.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by jcastano View Post
    Actually, as far as I know and from personal experience, other friends/family personal experiences with fragrancenet, they tend to try and scratch out serial numbers from bottles that are not wrapped in cellaphane. Where your bottle is scratched out in black, that is where blanche edition shows its serial number and since you received it unboxed, that is why it is scratched out. I'm not sure why they do that but I'm sure the fragrance is authentic.
    Doesn't Chanel (at least) have some rules for their authorized dealers about conditions of sale, and so on? If so, then filing off the serial numbers is a way for Fragrancenet (or whoever is selling to them) to avoid getting in trouble with the manufacturer.

Avoid fragrancenet when it comes to unboxed or tester items... I have ordered many times from them and the only time I had a problem was when I ordered an EXPENSIVE fragrance that was "UNBOXED"! Their customer service is worse than CRAPPY, they hang up on you when you call so you have to keep calling till someone feels like taking your call "without hanging up of course" and they almost never reply to their customer service emails!
    When returning an item they claim it takes 2 weeks after receiving it to refund you which is bull****, you should get refunded right away not after 2 weeks OR more, who know?!

Not the best place to order from because customer service is very important to me and to many online shoppers... but they're working hard on becoming the WORST place to shop for fragrance online I guess!

Default Serge Lutens from Fragrancenet?

Hey everybody,
    Has anybody had any experience with purchasing Serge Lutens from places other than Barneys, Luckyscent, Aedes, etc.? Fragrancenet currently has good prices for some Lutens, and with a coupon code, the price will be significantly lower. Has anybody had any purchase history for Lutens from Fragrancenet? If so, how was the frag itself? Thanks for any input in advanced.

Default Re: Serge Lutens from Fragrancenet?

They are real, and in good condition.

No worries.

Wow I'm really surprised they have it. Maybe Frederic Malle is coming next?!

Parfum1 has also had Serge Lutens for a while now, too. And they sometimes have 20% coupons. Usually a 25% coupon once a year.

I'm fairly certain these two companies, plus Beauty Encounter and possibly others, use the same wholesale distributor. I once had to return a package from BE and the RMA return address was to some 3rd party company. I've noticed all these sites more-or-less share the same inventory, and new acquisitions are usually shared among these sites, which leads me to believe they all source their products from the same place.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Basenotes Institution

Docman - you're right ! For a 15 % discount now at Parfum1- use this code- it works - TJOOSFORUPQ. I put this code on the discount board a while ago.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I read somewhere here that parfum1 was a pretty shady outfit. IIRC they operate another discount site as well

If I may expand the discussion, has anyone had a good or bad experience buying from Perfume Village in Santa Ana, California?

Basenotes Institution

Captcrunch -I have ordered at least 6 times from Parfum1 - most recently - I got my last order ,mid last week. All good and fresh products. I know some people have had a bad experience with them but I'm keeping my fingers crossed they have improved as all my orders have been 100 % positive.
    MysteryBluff40- I'm not sure about perfumevillage .....must check it out though.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Parfum1 is perhaps the most dependable I have come across. I ordered Gris Clair from them in excellent shape. Beauty Encounter is also reliable. I was kind of skittish about ordering Lutens from Fragrancenet, but I ordered ChÍne from them (and with discounts, it came to around $80!) with no problems.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Wow, I'm shocked, and pleasantly surprised. Very good news to find SL going for cheaper than retail.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I would also consider Strawberrynet. Their SL prices are quite good and they are trustworthy.

I have not ordered SL from Fragrancenet, but I have ordered Creed before, with no issues. Not sure if that does anything for your peace of mind, but I figured they were a comparable level product (in fact I get the impression Creed would be MORE likely to be couterfeited) so I think it would be a low risk purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffa View Post
    So where would you buy something expensive from that's genuine. If I know other places where I can get my next Creed and Tom Ford from I would.

As for shipping guess I will have to wait another 3 weeks, since it's only been 1 week since the order has been shipped to Australia. Will I have to keep driving to the post office everyday or do I get email notification that it has arrived?
    could you please tell when did you receive it..how many working days??i have received email its been shipped last Wednesday..thanks