Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Is 'Back to Black' worth all that money?

i know it is too subjective, but this is probably the most expensive scent (besides attars) i have read about, with $225 for 50ml. i have not tried it yet. what do you think?
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 12, by quartets:
    1. Zafar, Onda, Tuba, Reve en Cuir
    5. Coromandel, Ex-Idolo 33, Bois D'Encens, Dia Man
    9. Ore, Montecristo, Danger Homme, Derby

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Default Re: Is 'Back to Black' worth all that money?

No. It's just a syrup / honey scent with fruity top notes. Smells nice and smooth but definitely not worth the cash imo.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    i know it is too subjective, but this is probably the most expensive scent (besides attars) i have read about, with $225 for 50ml. i have not tried it yet. what do you think?
    I think it is a very good fragrance. But most of that cost is for the "fancy" bottle. Just buy the refill - it's much cheaper.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

No. It smells really generic and nothing special. Way overhyped!

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think it is a very good fragrance. But most of that cost is for the "fancy" bottle. Just buy the refill - it's much cheaper.
    This.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I agree, you're mostly paying for the luxury bottle/case.

is this actually the most popular by kilian?
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 12, by quartets:
    1. Zafar, Onda, Tuba, Reve en Cuir
    5. Coromandel, Ex-Idolo 33, Bois D'Encens, Dia Man
    9. Ore, Montecristo, Danger Homme, Derby

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

At $2.33/ml (if you buy the travel refill), I think it's worth the price if you like the scent.

The normal bottle is quite expensive at $4.50/ml.

Also, if you want some discussion on the scent and not just the value proposition, I think it's one of the better Kilian scents for sure. It's also good if you enjoy honey and tobacco. I might like it more than Tobacco Vanille, as I find it more complex and interesting.

Way over-hyped. It might be worth the money if you buy the travel refills and don't purchase the bottle.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

No. Pour Robitussin on and you get the same smell...a couple of drops of shoe polish and voila, you got the Oud note. ;-)

If you desperately want to smell like honey, then yes.

IMO the price is a bit steep for the size you get, but if one wants it badly enough...

I gave it a sniff, it was sickeningly sweet, the cough syrup example is apt...I think it might be another case of oud-overdose

I come to the defence of Back to Black. One of my best tobacco scents. Unlike Fumerie Turque, it has more sweetness, if this is what you like. I have the small travel bottle, so I did not spend much.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

You should sample it. If you hate it the question of price becomes moot, really.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Junkie

Waiting for my sample, and really looking forward to it.

Will you guys say it's as sweet as Tobacco Vanille?

No. Sweetened fruity tobacco in a fancy bottle. It's much sweeter than Tobacco Vanille.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I come to the defence of Back to Black. One of my best tobacco scents. Unlike Fumerie Turque, it has more sweetness, if this is what you like. I have the small travel bottle, so I did not spend much.
    I agree.

Back to Black is made from very high quality ingredients. If you like it, it is worth the price. If you don't then it doesn't matter.

BtB is complex and not that easy to get, some of these replies are pretty funny. Lots of people passing judgement without investing any effort. Oud overdose? Robitussin? Sorry, your noses need a tune-up! There is no oud in this at all, and if you think there is, you have no idea what oud smell like.

I've had a sample and I loved it. Too bad I can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I agree.

Back to Black is made from very high quality ingredients. If you like it, it is worth the price. If you don't then it doesn't matter.

BtB is complex and not that easy to get, some of these replies are pretty funny. Lots of people passing judgement without investing any effort. Oud overdose? Robitussin? Sorry, your noses need a tune-up! There is no oud in this at all, and if you think there is, you have no idea what oud smell like.
    +10

If it smelled better it would be, But NO.

Its not just very good , it is incredible . They could double the price and it would still be worth it ... its a love affair for me

If your looking for a tobacco fragrance it's one of the best. Personally I don't compare it to Tobacco Vanille which can't hold a candle to it in the "smells like tobacco" department.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I agree.

This. No oud at all. And the Robitussin/cough syrup comparison is ridiculous. You can smell the quality of the ingredients. It is a rich, warm, comforting scent well worth every penny.

Worth every single cent u'll spend on it. If u can't afford the fanciful bottle + coffin, get a 50ml refill. If U wanna go cheaper, get the travel sized spray, comes with fanciful atomizer. Or get in on a split.
    Now if yur question is whether the case is worth it or not. If you are a passionate collector, without a doubt it is. Once U buy it, all u'll need 2 do is buy refills. It's an investment, like a capital overlay, as you use it more and buy more refills, the price per ml will continue to fall over the lifetime of the fragrance. So if u absolutely adore this scent, then save up & buy it. It's definitely more cost effective than TOM FORD PRIVATE BLENDS - just as expensive without the decadent packaging.

Basenotes Junkie

I'm not a fan, but if you like it enough, then by all means go for it. It all depends on if you like it enough...

Its sweetness has washed off any other note. I personally didn't like it at all.

I found it too sweet and powdery.

Quote Originally Posted by galwaygirl001 View Post
    I found it too sweet and powdery.
    'sactly. And I found that Immortelle de Corse does a similar thing for me, and cheaper.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I'm a tobacco fan and Back To Black is one of the best. Kilian is a wonderful line and one of the few Niche lines that you can buy cheaper by "passing" on the bottle. This is one of the very few that even offers a refill option and doesn't require the original bottle to put it in. I think it is very smart marketing, and wouldn't be nice if many other expensive lines we love would do the same thing?????

It's been a long time since I've smelt Sander Feeling Man - can anyone confirm my thought, from memory, that this is similar? Feeling Man is tobacco with a raspberry note in it as well.
    The Bark Bites Back.

You can buy 1 oz for $70 and 2 oz for $140 in the refills. That's a bargain in my book. Plus if you buy an actual bottle, your getting a gorgeous presentation and you get discounts to refill the bottle. Yeah it's worth it.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    You can buy 1 oz for $70 and 2 oz for $140 in the refills. That's a bargain in my book. Plus if you buy an actual bottle, your getting a gorgeous presentation and you get discounts to refill the bottle. Yeah it's worth it.
    ^- This

The answer is:

Absolutely, yes.

and

Absolutely no.

This will entirely depend on how much you like it.

Only you can decide if it's worth it, and there's only one way to decide. Get a sample. Spray it on your skin and sniff.
    Then, it's either:

"Yeah! I'd pay that much to own this!"
    ...or...
    "No, I wouldn't pay that much to own this."

In my opinion, no. But I am not very fond of it.

No, it is not worth the money

Basenotes Member The New York Perfumista's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes! I own it and love it. I have it in the travel case. It's super sexy lux baby powder. I wear it and I know it would smell amazing on a man. The raspberry note in the fragrance is mouthwatering.
    My current Scent Addiction: Heeley Bubblegum Chic
    Twitter: @theNYperfumista

I like it. It's not worth retail price, although By Kilian does have incredibly beautiful presentation. As recommended above, buy a 30ml ($70) or 50ml ($125) refill bottle and a $3 atomizer and save yourself a lot of money.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Junkie

I have loved Back to black since the day I first sampled it.

Sampled it again some days ago and got an honest 26 hours out of it (even with a shower). What the HELL? That's as long as I've ever smelt something on me. Absurd, and magical

I just ordered the travelset from luckyscent. I got at least one friend wanting one of the atomizers, planning to gift one to my dad as a birthday gift and keep one or two myself and get the 50 ml refill whenever I'm out. I don't need alot of it seeing as I've got tons of other fragrances. But, for those evenings when I really want to bring out the gun of awesomeness and tobacco / honey / spice, Back to black will be ready. EPIC FRAGRANCE IS EPIC!

Ninjaedit - About the travelflasks - how are they? Any thoughts on quality and ease of refil? I'm pretty much in love with "proper" bottles, but I have 40'ish right now and I'm having a huge problem finishing them all ... that's why I went for the travelkit. Feel free to give me good news regarding the feel, fit and finish of them

I just purchased my first By Kilian. It is "Sweet Redemption." I know you are talking about Back to Black. However, since he is from the Hennessy family (who knows about luxury), and uses (as I understand it) Baccarat bottles, and lacquered boxes with a skeleton key, and you LOVE the fragrance, then it's a no-brainer to me. I have no buyer's remorse at all. Of course, I'm a sucker for the packaging, too.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Worth every penny.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

No, Back to Black smells like a more darker, sweeter and richer YSL La Nuit to me... that's all...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Yes it is worth it. As has been said above, if you want the whole presentation, get the bottle in the box. If not, get the travel size. Even in the fancy box, it's no more expensive than an Amouage or some Frédéric Malles.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I agree with petruccijc, just purchase a bottle of the refill. You don't need the fancy bottle which costs your an additional $100+.

Is there a site that ships internationally that sells the refill? I have really loved my samples from By Killian. And Frapin too. The price prevents me from getting them.

Thank you.

Very high quality honey/tobacco...worth it if you like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cannotavoidtrite View Post
    Is there a site that ships internationally that sells the refill? I have really loved my samples from By Killian. And Frapin too. The price prevents me from getting them.

Thank you.
    Doesn't Bergdorf sell it, and doesn't Bergdorf ship intl?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cannotavoidtrite View Post

Thank you.
    http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...ollection.html

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...ill%5FSet.html

Basenotes Junkie

A question to anyone currently owning the travel-set. Are we talking four atomizers, or just one atomizer filled and three glass bottles for refilling the ONE travel spray?

I bought one set hoping for four atomizers so I could give away some for gifts or something. I can still decant into loads of 5 ml sprayers I have and give away, but it's not quite the same I guess.

After some pondering I'm assuming it's just one fancy sprayer, but hey, I could be wrong

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    A question to anyone currently owning the travel-set. Are we talking four atomizers, or just one atomizer filled and three glass bottles for refilling the ONE travel spray?

I bought one set hoping for four atomizers so I could give away some for gifts or something. I can still decant into loads of 5 ml sprayers I have and give away, but it's not quite the same I guess.

After some pondering I'm assuming it's just one fancy sprayer, but hey, I could be wrong
    Comes with one atomizer.

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post

One atomoiser only!!

Kilian, Kilian, Kilian. Way too expensive, i think he not charging for the juice, just the flashy, posh bottle presentation i think

Basenotes Junkie

Cheers for the heads up on just one atomizer. No biggie really. I'll just decant the rest into 5 mil bottles and distribute to the needy for a small fee

Really looking forward to my set. I find B2B fantastic, and for me better than Tobacco Vanille. And the 24 hours + longevity is just fantastic. Yay

I like BtB a lot - I own it and wear it often. It is not at all generic (or Oud or Cough Syrup???). However it is very sweet powdery tobacco. If you like it - it is worth it. If not, then it isn't. Certainly give it a try, and if you like it, get yourself the 50ml refill.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Not worth the money, way too expensive. Pure Havane is a much better deal and does a similar vibe for much less.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Not worth the money, way too expensive. Pure Havane is a much better deal and does a similar vibe for much less.
    Sorry, have to disagree, similar vibe, maybe. BtB to me is a much better fragrance and worth the difference in cost.

That is like saying since Cool Water has a similar vibe to GIT, it is a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Sorry, have to disagree, similar vibe, maybe. BtB to me is a much better fragrance and worth the difference in cost.

That is like saying since Cool Water has a similar vibe to GIT, it is a better deal.
    The worth of a fragrance in its cost varies from person to person no doubt (personal budgets and prioritizing how much one can spend on a fragrance is also a factor)

Personally, i havent come accross a Killian that i think is worth the money. You are just paying for the box

No. Tobacco Vanille much much better.