Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 48
  1. #1

    Default Secretions Magnifique

    In preparation for my sampling of SM tomorrow I'm curious if anyone actually owns or wears this in public.... Or in private come to think of it

    TIA
    Last edited by socalwoman; 5th February 2012 at 01:00 PM.

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    107,981

    Default Re: Secretions Magifique

    Just tried it in store out of curiosity. Enjoy your unique experience tomorrow.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Secretions Magifique

    I received a sample of it from a dear BNer once. Unsolicited too lol.

    I'll classify it as a Concept art.
    for swap/sale:



  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    11,286

    Default Re: Secretions Magifique

    I do own a full bottle of it. As hedonist said, conceptual art.

    In no way should it touch the skin, though.

    cacio

  5. #5

    Default Re: Secretions Magifique

    I have an official sample and test it at home from time to time.

    If you're able, leave it on your skin for the day as its development is very interesting.

    Yes, the opening is challenging though.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Secretions Magifique

    See today's commentary in female frags section

  7. #7

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    I am down for challenging. I am down for art. But I could not help but have a very visceral reaction to this. In order:

    1. Sneezed (x4)
    2. Sat very still for 30secs trying not to barf
    3. Scrubbed (x3)

  8. #8
    ROtto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Yes, I wear it in public.

  9. #9
    Dependent L'Incandescent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,134

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    I used to wear it in public, and I even got compliments on it. But then one day I wore it around my girlfriend and she almost vomited. She told me in no uncertain terms that I must not even have that fragrance in the house anymore.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

  10. #10
    ROtto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Quote Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post
    I used to wear it in public, and I even got compliments on it. But then one day I wore it around my girlfriend and she almost vomited. She told me in no uncertain terms that I must not even have that fragrance in the house anymore.
    That's not surprising since it's unpleasant up close. it's not a good idea to smell it on a smelling strip or spray it on your wrist and hold it up to your nose, nor is it a good idea to wear it around people you're likely to get close to. But it's interesting "in public." It has a strange radiant milky-metallic glow unlike anything else I've ever worn.

  11. #11
    Dependent L'Incandescent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,134

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post
    That's not surprising since it's unpleasant up close. it's not a good idea to smell it on a smelling strip or spray it on your wrist and hold it up to your nose, nor is it a good idea to wear it around people you're likely to get close to. But it's interesting "in public." It has a strange radiant milky-metallic glow unlike anything else I've ever worn.
    It's the milky note that made my girlfriend so nauseated. For whatever reason, my nose doesn't pick up anything milky at all. If I did get milk, I'd never even dream of wearing it; I actually haven't had milk in probably twenty years because it makes me extremely nauseated. When I used to wear Secretions Magnifiques around the house, I held my wrist up to my nose all the time!
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

  12. #12

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    I was hesitant to try SM because of the overwhelming negative feedback. Truth is I don't find it repulsive at all. Actually I kind of like it. I have to confess though I only applied a small amount, about two drops from the mini bottle. The opening reminded me of the smell of cilantro. Then it began to smell slightly like coconut but more creamier. Three hours later it smells like I had been swimming in the ocean with just a trace of the smell of suntan lotion. Would I wear this in public? Yes although I wouldn't wear this to work because it smells too casual.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,441

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    So I finally tried this. In fact I'm wearing it now as I ordered the set of ELdO 16 minis from Lucky Scent. Reading the reviews here and on Luckyscent I was expecting something terrible. I was expecting a mix of blood, urine, and semen. Now wearing this I do get a hind of blood and semen but only if I hold my nose right up to my arm. Further away I smell steamed milk, coconut, and something floral. This scent isn't that bad. I've only had it on for 30 minutes but I'm definitely not getting the gag reaction that some report.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    I've recently revisited this myself and find it far less off-putting than before. I used to get a strong "wet dog" note, but now that note seems very faint and is more of a wet dog/egg white type of note, with a thick and milky substance. It is mildly disconcerting but does not venture into the realm of unpleasant. What is pleasant, however, is the radiant metallic iris/sandalwood/coconut accord.

    I pick up some of that same radiant accord in Reflection Man, but in SM it is less adorned and, perhaps better off because of it. It's a wonderful accord, if a bit synthetic.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    It's an interesting scent that any fragrance fan needs to try once.

    The metallic notes were too much for me.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Rose Ambre by Fragonard

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,419

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    My one real perfume regret (aside from giving/throwing away lots of perfume over the years before I knew any better) is that I didn't try this perfume before I read and heard all the hype. It's hard to know what I would have thought coming to it completely open and ignorant, because other people's opinions have an effect whether we like it or not.

    Still, my reaction wasn't as violent or dramatic as Katie Puckrik's or many others'. I definitely didn't like it; it's got lots of that metallic salty aquatic thing that I don't like even in small doses, and I thought the floral notes came off as weird and cartoonish against that background. To me, it smelled categorically bad, but then if forced to choose between that and the awful musk from Narciso Rodriguez for Her, I'm honestly not sure which I'd wear.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    I found Fils de Dieu to share similarities with Secretions Magnifique only it's much more wearable as it's loaded up with citrus fruits, more coconut and rice. It's hiding in the base though.
    I also found that Humiecki and Graef's Bosque had a strong SM vibe in the base only much more wearable.
    I do like to sniff SM from time to time, I find it pleasant in small doses, I love the sharp metallic twang, but applied liberally it's quite unbearable, these are good alternatives for anyone in the same boat as me.
    I also need to give a full wearing to Lutens' Bas de Soie as I've heard comparisons with this also.

  18. #18
    Power Where You Need It
    alfarom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,507

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    I guess I'm with those who think that SM is more sort of conceptual art than a proper fragrance but I also strongly believe that if this juice would have been called "Les Fleurs Marine" or whatever other non-provocative name and released by one of the billions of anonymous brands available on the market, almost nobody would have cared about it.

    Oh, the power of suggestion (aka marketing).
    Last edited by alfarom; 11th April 2012 at 12:46 PM.


    Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

  19. #19

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    I found Fils de Dieu to share similarities with Secretions Magnifique only it's much more wearable as it's loaded up with citrus fruits, more coconut and rice. It's hiding in the base though.
    I also found that Humiecki and Graef's Bosque had a strong SM vibe in the base only much more wearable.
    I do like to sniff SM from time to time, I find it pleasant in small doses, I love the sharp metallic twang, but applied liberally it's quite unbearable, these are good alternatives for anyone in the same boat as me.
    I also need to give a full wearing to Lutens' Bas de Soie as I've heard comparisons with this also.
    Totally spot on w/ the Bosque thing. And that ties into what Alfarom said. I think that if they listed 'semen accord' in Bosque's notes list, we'd hear people mentioning it in all sorts of reviews. As far as I know, I'm the only one that has ever mentioned that accord (although at least you too have picked it up, forfreddie ).

    My many years here have taught me that fragrance is not just what we smell, or rather, what we smell is truly influenced by things like notes lists, marketing, word of mouth and general community opinion re: the scent, and brand clout (or lack thereof).
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 11th April 2012 at 11:14 AM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Totally spot on w/ the Bosque thing. And that ties into what Alfarom said. I think that if they listed 'semen accord' in Bosque's notes list, we'd hear people mentioning it in all sorts of reviews. As far as I know, I'm the only one that has ever mentioned that accord (although at least you too have picked it up, forfreddie ).
    ).
    Thanks. Yeh on my first wearing of Bosque (which I think is fantastic), the opening blew me away, and then the salty/milky/metallic vibe going on in the base, oh man. I reviewed all the H&G samples in my blog doing like, initial impressions, I think they missed out a lot of accords in their notes list... "Feet" in Askew I noticed was missing :')
    I consider Bosque what Secretions Magnifique should have been if it were a wearable fragrance.

    I'm not too sure about the marketing thing. That can be said about tons of stuff... some of the Comme des Garcons line, and maybe even in the opposite sense, we could sniff Amouages blind and be totally unimpressed without the packaging and huge pricetag. Whilst the ELDO marketing may be over the top at times, they're doing it right!

  21. #21

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Is this the one with the penis on the bottle? I shall resist the hype.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,419

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Is this the one with the penis on the bottle? I shall resist the hype.
    That's the one. It's worth smelling. Anyone who's interested in perfume should try and experience it at least once.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Thanks. Yeh on my first wearing of Bosque (which I think is fantastic), the opening blew me away, and then the salty/milky/metallic vibe going on in the base, oh man. I reviewed all the H&G samples in my blog doing like, initial impressions, I think they missed out a lot of accords in their notes list... "Feet" in Askew I noticed was missing :')
    I consider Bosque what Secretions Magnifique should have been if it were a wearable fragrance.

    I'm not too sure about the marketing thing. That can be said about tons of stuff... some of the Comme des Garcons line, and maybe even in the opposite sense, we could sniff Amouages blind and be totally unimpressed without the packaging and huge pricetag. Whilst the ELDO marketing may be over the top at times, they're doing it right!
    Oh, I maintain that the marketing thing IS at work on all of us, at all times. In fact, I remember a study posted here long ago that did brain scans as well as subjective reports of wine that they had the subjects taste. There was a cheap wine (something like $5 a bottle) and an expensive wine (something like $500 a bottle) and not only did people almost unanimously prefer the expensive wine, they also showed more brain activity in regions correlated with pleasure and satisfaction. The catch? Some of the subjects were given the $5 wine and told it was the $500 wine, and vice versa. Their subjective expectations literally impacted their objective experience.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Oh, I maintain that the marketing thing IS at work on all of us, at all times. In fact, I remember a study posted here long ago that did brain scans as well as subjective reports of wine that they had the subjects taste. There was a cheap wine (something like $5 a bottle) and an expensive wine (something like $500 a bottle) and not only did people almost unanimously prefer the expensive wine, they also showed more brain activity in regions correlated with pleasure and satisfaction. The catch? Some of the subjects were given the $5 wine and told it was the $500 wine, and vice versa. Their subjective expectations literally impacted their objective experience.
    I love stuff like that! It's so interesting

    The other day at work, my boss came in (knowing I'm a perfume nut) and held her wrist up to me.
    Sniffing I was like "Ooooh that's quite nice" I didn't really think anything of it but certainly wasn't repulsed, it was just a very synthetic tacky floral, very mainstream.
    She laughed and told me she'd passed a rip off of Kenzo Flower in Poundland! And that was it.
    I was like "...Oh"

  25. #25
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    7,611

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    I can't wear it as I had a really bad allergic reaction to it when I tried my sample... It caused my eyes to go blurry. I wouldn't wear it in public anyway though as I hated the smell to the extreme (albeit I did not associate it with some of the more risque elements many others do). Apart from the allergic reaction, like Primrose, the milky metallic notes were just too much, IMO. I definitely regret trying it on so many levels.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

    6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie
    Currently wearing: Chromatics by Aramis

  26. #26
    Power Where You Need It
    alfarom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,507

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Oh, I maintain that the marketing thing IS at work on all of us, at all times.
    Of course, but what I meant is that while marketing is usually PART of the hype, in SM is mostly 90% of the whole game. SM is not the only fragrance to play a milky/floral/metallic/bilge accord but it's the only one that generates silly, sort of moralistic reactions that most of the time I find over-sized, quite annoying and depending entirely on the name of the fragrance...
    Last edited by alfarom; 13th April 2012 at 04:17 PM.


    Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

  27. #27

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Not for me. At first, I was very curious and eager to try it, but after the first wearing, I couldn't handle it. I definitely can't wear it in public, ever!
    How does sunshine smell like?

  28. #28
    Dependent starshipvelcro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ohio somewhere
    Posts
    2,470

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    There is no way I'm going to try this. It's actually turned me off from the company, because it doesn't seem to exist for any other reason than to generate attention, and that just doesn't sit right with me. With the way they name their fragrances they remind me of the indie kids who go to starbucks to hang out. Maybe I can get over myself, Fat Electrician and Jasmin et Cigarette look promising...

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,419

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    There is no way I'm going to try this. It's actually turned me off from the company, because it doesn't seem to exist for any other reason than to generate attention, and that just doesn't sit right with me. With the way they name their fragrances they remind me of the indie kids who go to starbucks to hang out. Maybe I can get over myself, Fat Electrician and Jasmin et Cigarette look promising...
    I know what you mean, but don't let it totally put you off. The company's a bit out there with some of the names and the imagery, but there are some really good scents there. The two you mentioned, plus Putain des Palaces, Encens et Bubblegum, the new Fils de Dieu, etc. SM is a thoroughly nasty perfume, but we don't have to be hysterical about it. Some people are, and that's too bad.

    I'm just glad there's someone out there foregoing the usual ultra-serious and "risque" marketing (and let's not even pretend that ELd'O's is the most provocative marketing or imagery out there in perfumeland) and having a bit of fun.

  30. #30
    fsface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    284

    Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

    Hmmm.

Similar Threads

  1. Secretions Magnifiques?
    By Carlosoraibi in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 15th January 2012, 11:53 PM
  2. Secretions haunts me!
    By SculptureOfSoul in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 5th September 2010, 09:10 PM
  3. Sécrétions Magnifiques
    By Basteri in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 16th June 2010, 08:27 PM
  4. Secretions Magnifiques...
    By LuckyLuke in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 20th October 2009, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000