Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Secretions Magnifique

We whipped out SM at our meetup yesterday, and I have to say: every time I smell it, I acclimate to it a bit more. I almost like it now.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Of course, but what I meant is that while marketing is usually PART of the hype, in SM is mostly 90% of the whole game. SM is not the only fragrance to play a milky/floral/metallic/bilge accord but it's the only one that generates silly, sort of moralistic reactions that most of the time I find over-sized and quite annoying and depend entirely on the name of the fragrance...
    I don't mind this, to be honest. It very effectively pulls up the goal post and sets it out miles away from where it used to be, in terms of what qualifies as a fragrance and what can be wearable. The hype aspect draws attention to this...broader playing field, if you will. I think it can be eye-opening for people who only think about fragrance as some sort of sprayable fashion accessory that it can be much more. Most of us on here don't need to be convinced of that fact, so it seems redundant and silly. But I appreciate what it does in terms of advancing the art form of scent-making (and representing it, from a marketing perspective).

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    I also need to give a full wearing to Lutens' Bas de Soie as I've heard comparisons with this also.
    Its really interesting that you bring this up- as soon as I read it, a lightbulb went off in my head.

I find Bas de Soie difficult to wear for this very reason. There's something about it that comes of smelling like a big hunk of cold meat, but not just any meat- its what I imagine human meat to smell like. Its blander, strangely warmer and not as metallic as say a steak or pack of ground beef.

With SM I get freshly gutted fish. No fishy smell, more like metallic, salty, cold innards.

I definitely get the connection between the two.

Any time I smell this I want to run away! I have no doubt that it changes after time - I've read so many reviews saying as much - but that opening! To me, it smells like lemon juice spilt on tin foil. I once got a little tin foil in my mouth (I'd sliced a freshly-baked cake and got a little foil caught on the cake by accident) and when I bit down on the foil it felt as thought someone had fired an electric current through my teeth. Extremely unpleasant and exactly the same physical reaction I had when I smelled SM. Eugh, eugh, eugh!

I don't know, guys...I do agree that marketing is at work in all of us, however, I WANTED SM to be edgy and "dirty" when I smelled it. I wanted it to be really avant-garde. But literally, it made me almost wretch......twice! It smells like a wound that has finished bleeding and is trying to heal, IMO.

That said, I believe the disparity is that SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T PICK UP ON THOSE ROTTEN ACCORDS BECAUSE OF THEIR OWN DNA. For example. I had two fragrance dummies over to my house the other night. I was letting them test my frags so I could buy them perfumes for their wedding. I warned them ahead of time about SM, and told them that I just wanted to let one of them smell it just for a gag. Therefore, he knew going in that it was going to be horrible. He sniffed it a few times and said, "What's the big deal?"

Yes, the hype can be compelling, but seriously, to the right person, SM (on its own) makes me want to toss my cookies. (And ELdO is my favorite house).
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Anyone ever try tasting it?

Tasting? Like tasting an oyster that will send you to ER within the next hour.

Indeed, I'm with lionheart about the genetics. I joked some time ago that people with very strong reactions to SM likely had coast dwelling ancestors who were selected to avoid eating past-its-prime seafood.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Oh, I maintain that the marketing thing IS at work on all of us, at all times. In fact, I remember a study posted here long ago that did brain scans as well as subjective reports of wine that they had the subjects taste. There was a cheap wine (something like $5 a bottle) and an expensive wine (something like $500 a bottle) and not only did people almost unanimously prefer the expensive wine, they also showed more brain activity in regions correlated with pleasure and satisfaction. The catch? Some of the subjects were given the $5 wine and told it was the $500 wine, and vice versa. Their subjective expectations literally impacted their objective experience.
    I've read whole books on this wine test thing. Partly as a result, I never pay $500 for a bottle of wine. I wonder how a similar test with fragrances would turn out. I personally have found absolutely no relationship between price and quality and enjoyment.

They teach you in marketing that setting the price is part of the marketing strategy, e.g., never but a bargain price on a luxury brand no matter how little it costs to make. This is why Apple products have the highest markups in the industry.

Nobody can taste a price, but I can certainly tell the difference between a poor bottle of wine and a fine bottle of wine. It should also be noted that $500 bottles, when purchased retail, are almost never intended to be drunk immediately. Most of them will taste like tannic cat piss without at least a decade in the cellar.

I do agree that price does not correlate to quality in any predictable way. Except one: at higher price points, you are more likely (but certainly not guaranteed) to get better quality. Being educated about what you enjoy, whether it be wine or fragrance, is what will allow you to circumvent marketing and identify both the amazing bargains and the high-priced bottles that are actually worth their high price.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    I've read whole books on this wine test thing. Partly as a result, I never pay $500 for a bottle of wine. I wonder how a similar test with fragrances would turn out. I personally have found absolutely no relationship between price and quality and enjoyment.

They teach you in marketing that setting the price is part of the marketing strategy, e.g., never but a bargain price on a luxury brand no matter how little it costs to make. This is why Apple products have the highest markups in the industry.

If you do it, I'll do it. But I want to see video!

Go on then!

I wanted to like this as I appreciate well done quirky fragrances. I sprayed and 60 seconds later the tester was in the trash and I was scrubbing my arm. This is a terrible fragrance imo. Too much for me.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

I own "Vulva Original"...that doesn't count though?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensual View Post
    I own "Vulva Original"...that doesn't count though?
    Ewwwww, you're so gross!

Just got a sample of this from Alityke!

I've had it on for a few hours now and it's starting to get tedious and outstay its welcome. By no means is it the anti-Christ which it's made out to be, but it's far from pleasant and wearable! It does indeed resemble the smell of the image on the bottle, underpinned with a green floral note and it has a rather vivid and interesting metallic note, which I'm assuming is what gives it its blood vibe. Overall it's pretty nasty and I think I'm going to scrub it off now
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 7th July 2012 at 01:13 PM.

Smelled like melon to me. Salty, sandy melon.

I firmly believe that much of the repulsion people experience when first smelling SM is down to hype and expectation. If you were to sample it completely blind, not having heard of its reputation or seeing the big spunky phallus on the packaging, I'm sure you wouldn't be nearly so disgusted.

I've just revisited SM a month or so after first sniff and granted, it's a very challenging fragrance with some very unusual milky, marine, light metallic floral accords, but it's not the instant gag reflex activator that I'd originally convinced myself it was.

I still wouldn't wear it though.

Pass