Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Serge Lutens: Overhyped if not overrated?

Hi guys!

I've smelt few of the Lutens line. I didn't get the Wooaaahou effect I expected, considering the aura of mister Lutens. Frankly speaking. Not to say the frags are bad but... I found most of them (the few 5 or 6 tested) to be a kind of conceptual exercise, that forgot what I consider the primary and obvious thing: a frag is to be worn. Serge Noir, to me, is the perfect exemple... I'm not trying to bash or something and I'm really open minded but...
    What do you guys think?

Default Re: Serge Lutens: Overhyped if not overrated?

Serge Noire is one step below rotting chicken skin in the trash can. There are several others that are really great.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Sur la Plage

It's one of my favorite houses. They make many excellent fragrances that are all wearable.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 4th February 2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Letitbenose View Post
    Hi guys!

I've smelt few of the Lutens line. I didn't get the Wooaaahou effect I expected, considering the aura of mister Lutens. Frankly speaking. Not to say the frags are bad but... I found most of them (the few 5 or 6 tested) to be a kind of conceptual exercise, that forgot what I consider the primary and obvious thing: a frag is to be worn. Serge Noir, to me, is the perfect exemple... I'm not trying to bash or something and I'm really open minded but...
    What do you guys think?
    which ones have you tried?
    a while ago i thought the same, but i changed my mind. there are two masterworks : muscs koublai khan and ambre sultan.
    gris clair, fille en aiguilles and arabie are decant worthy.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

I agree that Serge Noire is really horrible.

I wonder which ones you've tried? Douce Amere, A la Nuit, Gris Clair, and Chergui are all very wearable. I don't see this line being hyped up too much nowadays... maybe a year ago I would have agreed that he is overrated, but the only Lutens that really receives a lot of discussion now is Muscs Koublai Khan. MKK fits into the category of conceptual fragrances that are unsuitable to be worn, in my opinion.

Serge Lutens, or more specifically Christopher Sheldrake make some of the best fragrances out ther ( in my opinion)

A great line, but there's a lot of diversity there. The first three I tried ( Cedre, Santal Blanc, and Five O'Clock Au Gingembre ) left me utterly apathetic, but later explorations wowed me.

What fragrances do you like already? That's a good guide to know which Lutens to suggest.

For the record, I don't like Serge Noir at all.

Along Serge Noir, I tried Nuit de Cellophane (cellophane-plastic-synthetic of course ), Tubéreuse Criminelle (I prefer Nuit de Tubéreuse), Féminité du Bois (I found ok), Un Bois Vanille (yes that's vanille), Chergui (interesting but not my cup of tea), Fille en Aiguille (I have to try it again), Ambre Sultan (Ambre Russe rules, in my book)...
    Of course I have a long way to go, that's for sure.
    I admit: "overrated/overhyped" are provocative!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    A great line, but there's a lot of diversity there. The first three I tried ( Cedre, Santal Blanc, and Five O'Clock Au Gingembre ) left me utterly apathetic, but later explorations wowed me.

What fragrances do you like already? That's a good guide to know which Lutens to suggest.

For the record, I don't like Serge Noir at all.
    I've read rave reviews about Iris Silver Mist. Some peaople calling it "The best iris of the world" or somethin in the same vain!
    I like iris, I guess: one of my fav frags are Dior homme Intense and Infusion d'Iris...

Along Serge Noir, I tried Nuit de Cellophane (cellophane-plastic-synthetic of course ), Tubéreuse Criminelle (I prefer Nuit de Tubéreuse), Féminité du Bois (I found ok), Un Bois Vanille (yes that's vanille), Chergui (interesting but not my cup of tea), Fille en Aiguille (I have to try it again), Ambre Sultan (Ambre Russe rules, in my book)...
    Of course I have a long way to go, that's for sure.
    I admit: "overrated/overhyped" are provocative!

I have both, but... yes, it's your book. I prefer Ambre Sultan :P

Don't know if you got overhyped about this house. I've read many comments about them being too potent/unwearable/complex etc etc... I find them to be great perfumes, very wearable and nice. Maybe some people read about them and expect "something more".
    In my opinion it's a great line with more than enough variety.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    I have both, but... yes, it's your book. I prefer Ambre Sultan :P

Don't know if you got overhyped about this house. I've read many comments about them being too potent/unwearable/complex etc etc... I find them to be great perfumes, very wearable and nice. Maybe some people read about them and expect "something more".
    In my opinion it's a great line with more than enough variety.
    Humm yes, high expectations often brings disillusion. But I don't give it up... just need to lower my expectations

No problem if you don't end enjoying Lutens... par example I don't like the Amouages I've tested so far, and, obviously, can't understand the hype around them. Anyway, they must have something I don't get if so many people enjoy them.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned

Serge Lutens is a wonderfully innovative House, with their share of hits and misses ...

Over-hyped and overrated? More overshadowed by other emerging niche houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Over-hyped and overrated? More overshadowed by other emerging niche houses.
    this

I like the way several of their fragrances smell.

Originality, intelligence and wit are in pretty short supply these days, and often misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Originality, intelligence and wit are in pretty short supply these days, and often misunderstood.
    it starts to be more interesting... all the qualities mentioned apply to lutens, the thing is nothing is unlimited... hard to distribute a nearly perfect combination.
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Serge Lutens is a wonderfully innovative House, with their share of hits and misses ...
    +1 as with many fragrance houses.

I think of perfumery as just another form of art and am glad that all the niche designers are out there contributing to the art of perfumery. If you can rock MKK, then by all means. However, I prefer to be the center of attention with my interactions with people not my cologne. I believe restraint is a central component of class. Sometimes niche perfumes like to take center stage, and when that happens others just think of you as the "cologne guy". Of course this can happen with over spraying as well.

Is it fair or even logical to assess something as overrated or over hyped without properly trying it ?

Ohh and you may not really like iris, the Dior and Prada are not as iris prominent as the pyramid notes make them out to be.
    for swap/sale:

Ambre Sultan is one of my favorite fragrances and I have tried Chene, Fumerie Turque and Chergui and I think that these are all really good fragrances. There are a lot more I want to try in the coming months.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Tonka Imperiale
    3. Dior Homme
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Oud Wood
    6. Ambre Nuit
    7. L'air Du Desert Marocain
    8. Noir de Noir
    9. Apple Brandy
    10.Straight to Heaven

Banned
    Blog Entries

I thought Bois de Violette was very pretty and somewhat interesting, but was surprised by how synthetic the scent smelled. Didn't seem to be up to snuff compared to Malle and Creed. Around the same time I was using BdV I was also using Floris Limes body wash, and recall thinking the Floris also smelled better. But in all fairness this was just one Lutens scent, I must try many others before forming an opinion of the whole line or the brand. I do like what Lutens has to offer, there seem to be quite a few different scents and several interesting approaches to certain traditional themes.

If the few you have tried don't thrill you, c'est la vie. Does that make the whole line overhyped and overrated? NAH. Just not your cuppa.
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

... I'm not trying to bash or something and I'm really open minded but...
    What do you guys think?
    I think, no I know that I'm a cheap bastard. The thought of paying >$100 for 50ml for a line's run of the mill offerings runs against my grain. Nevertheless, over the years and despite this significant bias, I've accumulated 1/2 dozen bottles and there's probably another 1/2 dozen or so I've got an eye on. This house is impressive... probably in my top 5.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I own four Lutens. I think their price point is reasonable and I really love their line. Whenever I'm in an "elegant" mood, I always reach for a Lutens. I have Arabie, MKK, 5 o'clock au Gingembre, Chergui.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

I've read rave reviews about Iris Silver Mist. Some peaople calling it "The best iris of the world" or somethin in the same vain!

I like iris, I guess: one of my fav frags are Dior homme Intense and Infusion d'Iris...
    Iris Silver Mist is great, and really, like no other iris out there. The Dior and Prada are pretty tame by comparison, though well-constructed fragrances with their own merits. ISM is rooty, dark, and well worth a wearing... Like many Lutens it came across weird at first, but then I loved it.

Overall, great quality, but I am not fond of all the scents. I enjoy a few, and consistently good quality with longevity and sillage.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

I don't get the hate for Serge Noire, I love it and think it's one of the best of the six I've sampled so far...

- Serge Noire: Love it, very dark, warm, mysterious and thought provoking
    - Chergui: Like it quite a bit, but I don't really get the huge praise it receives
    - Gris Clair: Hate it, boring lavendar bomb
    - Ambre Sultan: Like it, but way too sweet and powdery for me to wear
    - Arabie: Like it for the olfactory experience, but totally unwearable for me
    - Fille en Aiguilles: Love it, reminds me of christmas
    Last edited by Daze; 5th February 2012 at 10:16 AM.

It depends on the taste of each person (and of their expectations). In my opinion Serge Lutens make very original and quality fragrances.
    - A lot of people thinks that they live when the only thing they do is simply exist.