Code of Conduct

Default Samples to buy/bottles for a newbie

I have tried quite a lot of niche fragrances, my favourite being Aventus followed by maybe Back to Black, MDCI Invasion Barbare, and then maybe 1270 or L'Humaniste, I am trying to build a collection as I have sold all mine and am restarting with only getting 5 niche and 5 designer, I want some fresh scents but also warm scents, I have DHI for cold nights, I have a list here and want recommendations, I like Vanilla, blackcurrant, blackberry, incense, lemon, lime, apple, cinnamon, things I dislike are leather, musk, anything too 'old' I am 22.

Default Re: Samples to buy/bottles for a newbie

Welcome!

If you want something fresh, I'd suggest you also try a vetiver (green and fresh), for instance Vetiver Extraordinaire, Chanel Sycomore, and others. One incense that's quite fresh and modern is CDG 2 man (lemony, incensy).

cacio

Oh and if someone recommends something and I love it I will buy you a bottle of that fragrance and ship it to you for free.

Perhaps Wild Fruits by Mancera might work for you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Give A Taste of Fragrance a try by Thierry Mugler for something warm. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

At least Egoiste, Opium homme, Cuir Ottoman, Dior Homme and Dior homme sport are fresh and warm. I suggest you to check them out.
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Basenotes Member

For a more brooding, dark day while still keeping the woods alive, Encre Noir. (First wear hated it, second wear love)
    For something that sounds up your alley (a sweet vanilla bomb) 24 Gold by scentstory (good quality to price) (reccommend)
    A sweeter vanilla/coffee that is also a great deal MJ Legend (fantastic)
    Top 5 Fragrances
    Aventus
    Dior Homme
    Encre Noir
    Dolce and Gabanna The One
    24 Gold

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsual View Post
    Oh and if someone recommends something and I love it....
    24 Gold, you can thank me later
    Top 5 Fragrances
    Aventus
    Dior Homme
    Encre Noir
    Dolce and Gabanna The One
    24 Gold

Niche:
    Guerlain Spiriteuous Double Vanille (Boozy Vanilla)
    Creed Millisime Imperial (Lemony)
    Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (Almond Cookie)
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (Tobacco Leaf and Vanilla)
    Amouage Jubilation XXV (Blackberry and Incense)
    Creed Virgin Island Water (Pina Colada)

Designer:
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt (Whiskey with Berries and Caramel)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Havane (Tobacco, Cherry, and Vanilla)
    YSL La Nuit De Lhomme (Vanilla and Cardimom)
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche (Very Citrusy and Lemony)
    Mont Blanc Individuel (Smells like Creed Original Santal; Cinnamon, Sandalwood, and Vanilla)
    Dole Gabbana The One (Fresh Tobacco, but doesn't last too long)

Hope these work out for you and you will enjoy them!
    Last edited by TMAdidas; 4th March 2014 at 08:03 PM.

We seem to have similar taste, so I'll recommend some of my personal favorites:

Monsieur de Givenchy (vintage)- You can get this inexpensively on ebay. I think you'd really like this one- it opens with bright lemon, but it's so so much more than a regular old citrus.

Pure Havane- A must have designer in my opinion. The sweet cherry mixed with tobacco and the A*Men formula just works so well in this. I feel like a million dollars every time I wear it.

Lumiere Noire- You like cinnamon, and since Black Aoud is up there, you must at least find rose tolerable. This is a softer oriental and the very definition of a fragrance feeling "warm" in my opinion. I think it's the simplicity of it that just draws me in.

Egoiste- Simply put, Egoiste is my favorite fragrance. The modern rendition is bright and extremely wearable.

1740 Marquis de Sade- I know you don't like leathers, but I recommend you try this anyway. It's less leather to me than it is a beautiful woody scent, almost oud-y. Every time I wear this, I can never stop sniffing it.

L'Air du Desert Marocain- Dry, warm, ambery and vanillic, also one of my favorites

Tobacco Vanille / Tonka Imperiale- There's a good chance you've tried these already, but since you seem to like gourmands, you'll very likely rave about one of these.

Portrait of a Lady- The best rose/oud I've ever smelled. It's the raspberry note that really makes this fragrance work.

Your taste is really diverse and it's pretty hard to nail down what you're looking for. So you want a small, varied wardrobe that mixes the highs and lows in terms of price. You like bright top notes and seem to lean towards fresh and gourmand, and you dislike animalic notes.

For Niche, I would go with Aventus. For designer, I would go with Dior Homme Intense.

Hmmm, I think I would have you completely remove black aoud and add Jubilation XXV.

Hermes Ambre Narguile
    Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale
    Parfume d'Empire Wazamba
    Roberto Cavalli Oro (women's but wearable by a guy who likes sweet frags and it is dirt cheap)
    Last edited by cello; 7th March 2014 at 01:58 AM.