Code of Conduct

Default Buying for others

Does anyone buy perfumes for other people and if so what is your thought process?

I ask this because, i believe many of us on this site have developed an acquired taste, which is different to the mass market. Much of what is popular, is seen as synthetic to basenoters, conversely much of what is liked by people on the forum (especially niche stuff) is not appreciated by your regular consumer.

Case in point, a former girlfriend kept wearing a fragrance I couldn't stand, but she wore it because 1- I guess she found something appealing in it. 2- It was a designer brand which started becoming popular. I bought her portrait of a lady and she didn't like it at all. (To be honest, although i was disappointed, as long as she didn't wear her cheap designer and start hugging me i was cool )

Have any of you had a similar experience with others not having the same appreciation of scents as you and how does that dictate what you buy others (if at all)?

Default Re: Buying for others

My thought process is this: I ask what she wants, she tells me, and I buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    hednic is a wise man.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Simples!

The bottom line; it's extremely difficult to get this right, whether or not the person you're buying for is a "basenoter-type". Different noses & different skins will always affect the outcome. Give them a chance to try it & like it before wasting your money.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

I only give perfumes to people I know for a long time (eg. wife, parents, siblings). Some of my cousins who don't care about the scents they're going to use, asked me for a bottle or two, and I gave them my extra Guess Marciano and Issey bottles.

Take a sneek look at any bottles they currently own, & use that as a guide of what style they like; gourmand, floral, etc

I never blind buy for other people - far too much of a risk. I'll only give a perfume gift if I know it's what they want. The only exception is my mother - she is so easy-going and sweet she sees merit in everything and she'll love anything I buy her, just because I've bought it for her. Even so I'd steer clear of niche - as you say, many of them are an acquired taste. If you want to widen the horizons of a significant other get a load of samples - it would be fun and they could decide what they liked best. I would advise against a heavily dictatorial approach!

I'll buy for a couple of close family members - my wife, sister, and uncle. For my wife and sis, I know what they wear and enjoy on others and can usually find stuff they'll like a lot.

I noticed my uncle (65 years old) wears Polo green, so I bought him a bottle of Esencia Loewe for Christmas, and he and his wife really loved it.

Know what they really like,ask them,or just get samples because blind buying full bottles can be a waste of good hard earned money...

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Take a sneek look at any bottles they currently own, & use that as a guide of what style they like; gourmand, floral, etc
    This.

As presents, quite frequently. But only if there is a certain familiarity with the fragrance tastes of the respective person and much easier if I already bought another fragrance present for the same person sometime ago.

No - most of the times I don't even suggest scents to others.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Jil Sander - Man
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Not unless I know exactly what they like, or I get an ebay lot of mini's to use as gifts.

I have a dear girlfriend who helped my family out over the summer by helping take care of my house and kids when I was in the hospital for a few days last summer. I bought her a bottle of Shalimar in anticipation when I was expecting her for a visit, as she had moved since last summer. She gave me a weird look and said "isn't this, like, really old"? I explained to her that it was a classic and a beautiful fragrance and that her Grandmother probably wore it, to which she made a face and asked why anyone would want to wear something their Grandmother wore. She did not even want to try it on. I was a bit hurt, but oh well, more Shalimar for me, I took her out for a nice dinner instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie1980 View Post
    Not unless I know exactly what they like, or I get an ebay lot of mini's to use as gifts.

I have a dear girlfriend who helped my family out over the summer by helping take care of my house and kids when I was in the hospital for a few days last summer. I bought her a bottle of Shalimar in anticipation when I was expecting her for a visit, as she had moved since last summer. She gave me a weird look and said "isn't this, like, really old"? I explained to her that it was a classic and a beautiful fragrance and that her Grandmother probably wore it, to which she made a face and asked why anyone would want to wear something their Grandmother wore. She did not even want to try it on. I was a bit hurt, but oh well, more Shalimar for me, I took her out for a nice dinner instead.
    I can understand that one may not like a fragrance somebody else bought as a gift but not trying it on is a bit too harsh. Thumbs up for inviting her to dinner anyway. I think I would have been too vexed to do so.

I've only bought fragrances for my brother because he doesn't bother to get into fragrances much himself and is happy wearing almost anything. It's the big sister's responsibility to make sure he smells good :-)

For others though, I sometimes buy fragrance discovery sets, but I wouldn't get them a full bottle of anything. Too risky!

I took my dad to Sephora to find some frags that he likes, then got 3 samples for him to try before I buy. It's fun to share the hobby with the fam, and he gets to take them home to mom for her approval . I wouldn't buy for someone without having them sample first, it's too risky imo.