Code of Conduct

Default Anyone know what is that sharp annoying note in Amouage Memoir Man?

I got a sample of Amouage Memoir Man from the Perfume Court and I know that this is one I'm not going to ever buy... There is just this very annoying sharp note that I don't like at all.. Anyone know what that note may be???
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Anyone know what is that sharp annoying note in Amouage Memoir Man?

Idk that's a pretty smooth fragrance IMO. Could be the vetiver though, it's a sharp note but it's toned down in this one?

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of a stinging, whistly pepper note? I think it's the same ingredient featured in CdG Ouarzazate. I like it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    Kind of a stinging, whistly pepper note? I think it's the same ingredient featured in CdG Ouarzazate. I like it, though.
    It's kind of a very green pine note... Somewhat crayon scent... And somewhat like a Ralph Lauren polo green scent... But very sharp and annoying to me....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Post Thanks / Like

Wormwood (absinthe)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Wormwood (absinthe)
    If it is wormwood... It is really a very bitter scent... not a fan of it at all... It upsets my stomachs everytime I sniff Memoir Man
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    3. YSL M7
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    If it is wormwood... It is really a very bitter scent... not a fan of it at all... It upsets my stomachs everytime I sniff Memoir Man
    You could go to a bar, order some and see.

It is served by soaking a sugar cube in it, lighting it on fire, then pouring the shot through the burning sugar cube, which rests in a special slotted spoon. It's usually high proof alcohol, but there isn't enough wormwood to get the psychedelic effects, only the bitter flavor.

A Taste of Heaven has some in it too, it is a bitter, astringent, almost minty smell...

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I tested this again. It was good at first, but then the iso-e super creeps out... slowly at first, but gaining huge momentum in the drydown. It carries the wormwood/mint/basil herbal notes and does get annoying and almost overpowering. Damn the iso-e ruined what could've been a really nice frag.

But for me, any large dose of iso-e is getting annoying. I can't hardly wear TdH anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no sharp, annoying note in Memoir Man

The bitter minty green note is definitely the wormwood. I've got real wormwood oil for use in my own creations and the wormwood in Memoir is definitely real and dosed pretty high (for wormwood, at least. This oil is STRONG and even a little goes a long way).

I don't really get an iso e super overdose here. There are some heavy hitting sandalwood synthetics in the dry down, and a fairly prominent guiac and tobacco note, alongside the coumarin-heavy/sweet hay like lavender absolute. Some iso e, perhaps, yes, but prominent? I don't know - I smell a lot going on here, all the way to the very very end.

Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely the wormwood. I find it part of the Memoir Man experience, and it disappears early enough anyway. Ah... how I love you, Memoir Man...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Not sharp or annoying whatsoever
    Last edited by alfarom; 3rd April 2012 at 04:55 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    +2. The wormwood, or any other ingredient, does not come across as sharp to my nose.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

I really like this for the first 2 hours or so, but then I get overwhelmed. The drydown is nowhere close to as good as the start for me.

I am also more sensitive to iso-e than many people, I do not get olfactory fatigue from it, it hits me with wave after wave of scent... because of that, it seems like Memoir gets stronger and stronger into the drydown. I like wormwood, but it is like the tip of the iso-e nose-spear during the drydown. I don't know how much iso-e is in here, but it's more than a small amount.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I don't know how much iso-e is in here, but it's more than a small amount.
    Quite a lot, I agree (as in many others Amouage's) but I'm fine with it.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here