Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Best Iris fragrance, please help

No love for Divines L'Homme De Coeur? It's one of my favorites and has a great fresh iris vibe to it.....Definately worth sampling in my opinion.

Hermessssssss Hirissssssssssss
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Hello, everyone! Thanks again for great advice and your kindness. I am still waiting on the sample of ISM to arrive but meanwhile wanted to share my thoughts on the ones I have tried so far:

Iris Bleu Gris - Wow, isn't it something? The opening is especially impressive, but the middle reminded me of the more romantic version of Caron's Yatagan. Iris Bleu Gris is definitely very complex and interesting scent but I couldn't wear it as there is brooding dark masculinity in it. As mentioned earlier I am a girly girl and when I smell Iris Bleu Gris I imagine some dark stranger in a black leather, dangerous and very handsome walking through the ruins of a castle in a early foggy morning, wet grass and horse manure sticking to his boots...A men wearing Iris Bleu Gris could sweep me off my feet.But I digress...

Iris Poudre - Gorgeous, just gorgeous, if a bit sweet. Exquisite scent for femme fatale. Could definitely see it in my collection but would have to start with a decant first as I have a suspicion that I might get tired of it after a while.

TDC Bois d'Iris - Very pleasant, unoffensive, great all around scent. I loved light woodsiness of it, but there is nothing haunting in it. It's just very pleasant with limited longevity and unimpressive dry down. Not stuff of my dreams.

Dzongkha - Very unique, spicy. I don't know what to make of it. Reminded me Sl's Bas de Soie in the middle, but Dzongkha far more interesting and complex. I will hold on to my sample and keep exploring it. To me it is one of those scents where you need to make friends with first, ask them on a date, buy dinner...

Iris de Nuit - This one is on my must buy list. Both Iris Poudre and Iris de Nuit have carroty opening that made me sick in 28, La Pausa but did not offend me for some reason in these two fragrances. Iris Poudre is in your face gorgeous where Iris de Nuit is more subtle and has that haunting sadness of Chanel 19 that cuts through the heart. Iris de Nuit succeeded in evoking similar images that Chanel 19 did though Iris de Nuit is very quiet and polite with little powder.

I will be back as soon as I get ISM

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 17th February 2012 at 05:28 PM.

Well, I got ISM finally, and... Oh my goodness, it is definitely an Iris of them all! So irisy I don't know what to do with myself. I feel like I need to grow up to understand and appreciate it. I can only imagine admiring ISM from the great distance for the true masterpiece that it is. It is like wearing Mona Lisa, intimidating! May be too much for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    Well, I got ISM finally, and... Oh my goodness, it is definitely an Iris of them all! So irisy I don't know what to do with myself. I feel like I need to grow up to understand and appreciate it. I can only imagine admiring ISM from the great distance for the true masterpiece that it is. It is like wearing Mona Lisa, intimidating! May be too much for me...
    LOL!! It is amazing, isn't it?

I had a similar iris quest to you... And wound up in the same camp. Iris Silver Mist is amazing, if too much for me for regular wear, I've still yet to find an ''ultimate iris" that tops it.

Sounds like fun, lots of good recommendations.

A few more that might be worth trying if you can find a sample or decant:

Apres l'Ondee (Guerlain) The latest formulation favours the iris over the heliotrope, I believe.
    Mon Numéro 8 (L'Artisan Parfumeur) Limited Edition.
    La Femme Bleue (Armani Collection Privé) Limited Edition. Beautiful, very elegant, not cheap.

@dmnw: yes, I wear l'Home de Coeur by Divine finding it calm, limpid, full af grace.. great suggestion!

Bois d'iris, Van Cleef, for me an angelic smile! Myrrh blended with iris, vanilla and labdano, reveals an interesting spirituality. It results a comforting , gentle scent with woody soul ,pleasant to wear every day.

Although reading your request I think they are not iris types you're waiting for, I desire to mention
    Felanilla by Parfumerie Generale, an iris powder very particular that develops uncommon old pharmacy appeal..
    Naiviris by Huitiem Art, bold and bright red iris.Woody and lipstick effects in perfect balance.

Good research! :-)
    Last edited by leuconoe; 28th February 2012 at 07:01 AM. Reason: missing quote

Quote Originally Posted by LaBoheme View Post
    LOL!! It is amazing, isn't it?
    Yes, it is absolutely amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I had a similar iris quest to you... And wound up in the same camp. Iris Silver Mist is amazing, if too much for me for regular wear, I've still yet to find an ''ultimate iris" that tops it.
    I agree, it seems too much for everyday wear, that is why Iris de Nuit is still on top of my must buy list. May be one day I will acquire full bottle of ISM...

Quote Originally Posted by leuconoe View Post
    yes, I wear l'Home de Coeur by Divine finding it calm, limpid, full af grace.. great suggestion!

Bois d'iris, Van Cleef, for me an angelic smile! Myrrh blended with iris, vanilla and labdano, reveals an interesting spirituality. It results a comforting , gentle scent with woody soul ,pleasant to wear every day.

Although reading your request I think they are not iris types you're waiting for, I desire to mention
    Felanilla by Parfumerie Generale, an iris powder very particular that develops uncommon old pharmacy appeal..
    Naiviris by Huitiem Art, bold and bright red iris.Woody and lipstick effects in perfect balance.

Good research! :-)
    I am a big fan of Parfumerie Generale and Huitieme Art! I was contemplating a sample of Naiviris but also Cuir d'Iris by PG. Have you tried Cuir d'Iris? Thanks

Sorry, double post
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 27th February 2012 at 04:15 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Did you happen to try L'Artisan Iris Pallida? I didn't see it mentioned in the thread.

Blog Entries

Been loving this thread. I have been on a similar journey too! I have STILL never got to try Iris Silver Mist. Must make it a priority.

Cuir D'Iris will take you into different territory, that of Leather/Iris.

Equistrius by Parfum D'Empire hasn't been mentioned yet. Beautiful Iris.

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    IMO Cuir D'Iris smells like an oily dirty skin or a dirty hair, don't you think?
    I have even posted it in here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/291...59#post2471159
    I had no idea it smelled so bad. Thanks for saving me from the goat I can't stand even the smell of the goat cheese, though goats do look very cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Been loving this thread. I have been on a similar journey too! I have STILL never got to try Iris Silver Mist. Must make it a priority.

Cuir D'Iris will take you into different territory, that of Leather/Iris.

Equistrius by Parfum D'Empire hasn't been mentioned yet. Beautiful Iris.
    Thanks for the recommendation of Equistrius, I didn't even think about it. I love sensible prices of Parfum D'Empire offerings and currently own their Azemour Les Orangers, very classy. Would definitely have to check out Equistrius...

Buy the way, what are your favorite Irises that you have discovered so far on this journey?

Blog Entries

The favourites? Well, lets see...Iris 39, Naiviris, Iris De Nuit, Cuir D'Iris. Also Dior Homme is a great everyday choice. Has that not been mentioned yet? But I did go down the Leather/Iris route too. I betcha you will go there....

Dior Homme by a mile

The favourites? Well, lets see...Iris 39, Naiviris, Iris De Nuit, Cuir D'Iris. Also Dior Homme is a great everyday choice. Has that not been mentioned yet? But I did go down the Leather/Iris route too. I betcha you will go there....
    I very glad to see that Iris de Nuit is among your favorites, definitely on my next purchase list. As for Iris 39 it has been mentioned numerously in this thread, looks like I must give it a try. As for leather/iris route, it is too late: I am already heading down this path. I absolutely love Cuir de Russie and contemplating Cuir Ottoman, especially, when it is affordable comparing to extravagances such as Xerjoff Irisss. I do love leather/iris combination when I want to be a bit naughty, but I also wanted something that smelled like a pure Iris to put me in a romantic mood. Iris de Nuit and ISM are the ones that can do that, though I can't imagine wearing ISM without casting my eyes down in the presence of its Majesty.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 28th February 2012 at 01:23 AM.

Hi whitefluffy!
    Following romantic iris mood and your love for beautiful Iris de Nuit, I thought Guerlain Vol de Nuit too , can be a possibility.. soft like Heeley, more complex , romantic, oniric...

yesterday I read about Iris Prada Exclusive that it dries in sort of "fluffy" skin scent:this seems just right for you nick!

for your question:Cuir d'Iris not yet, 1 sample is arriving 'cause various comments got me curious !! Others PG animal notes in Cuir Venenum and Ombre fauve are an heavy affair indeed!
    Last edited by leuconoe; 28th February 2012 at 09:08 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

I can appreciate the lengths the OP is going to look for a No.19 clone. It doesn't exist yet, I'm afraid.

Le Labo Iris 39 is more green-floral than iris, lacks the icy aloofness of No.19. And the civet is more a pussycat.
    SL Iris Silvermist is very rooty, an iris overlord (overload). Impressive but it may wear you out.
    FM Iris Poudre is weak, barely-there iris. Outrageous, given the price.
    TDC Bois d'Iris is dry & lipsticky. No staying power.
    SL Bas de Soie reminds me most of No.19 but it lacks depth and complexity.
    28 La Pausa is fresher and elegant but little by way of iris.
    Naiviris by Huiteme Art - iris & woods. Warm, dry but not spicy. Understated but nice.

I would also recommend a sampling of Xerjoff Shingl - loads of iris, some carnation over rum & amber. I find this to be more mesmerizing than Irisss. Unfortunately both are equally ridiculously pricey. But the collection set offers better value imo.

I can't believe right now on BN it took 50 posts to put Dior Homme out there.
    However it smells average to me and like the previous BN scent de jour TdH it is gone from my skin and clothes in minutes not hours.
    Since you didn't like 28 La Pausa I'd recommend Iris Silver Mist.

I know only a few Iris (Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense, Prada Infusion d'Iris, Infusion d'Homme, Paul Smith, Le Labo Iris 39 and Iris Silver Mist) and to me, Iris Silver Mist is one of the most beautiful fragrance i have ever smelled. You can have a split from the split board for a really good price.

Hello everyone!

I have Prada D'Infusion Iris and Huitieme Art Naiviris coming soon and as soon as I get them will be back with more thoughts. So far Iris de Nuit is still top of my list. I don't think I will be getting ISM as I prefer to wear my perfume instead of the other way around - I don't want to be lorded over by ISM

Dzongkha update: After I took Dzongkha out on a few dates I can definitely see it in my collection. As a big fan of pepper and incense fragrances I was going to get CDG Ouarzazate, but Dzongkha has it all plus Iris, a clear winner for me. To me Dzongkha sits between Bas de Soie and Ouarzazate and much more interesting than both. When I wear it I feel cool, calm, collected, and vicious, just like that blond lady from Kill Bill

Lubin's Bluff has a good Iris note though it does not dominant rather mixed in with other notes.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Murdock

Blog Entries

No one has mentioned it yet, but I really like Acqua di Parma's Iris Nobile (check out the EDP concentration if possible). It's similar to Malle's Iris Poudre, but different in a way that's hard to describe. It simultaneously carries the weight of a classic Chanel (I think it would make a fantastic wedding scent) while still being something a very exceptional girly girl (or a truly urbane man) could wear regularly.

Also, as stated before, there's a reason Dior Homme gets so much love around here. It's a wonderfully creamy chocolate iris with fascinating green facets that's easily a contender for the best iris in production today. Don't let the "Homme" fool you - it's great for anyone.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    No one has mentioned it yet, but I really like Acqua di Parma's Iris Nobile (check out the EDP concentration if possible). It's similar to Malle's Iris Poudre, but different in a way that's hard to describe. It simultaneously carries the weight of a classic Chanel (I think it would make a fantastic wedding scent) while still being something a very exceptional girly girl (or a truly urbane man) could wear regularly.

Also, as stated before, there's a reason Dior Homme gets so much love around here. It's a wonderfully creamy chocolate iris with fascinating green facets that's easily a contender for the best iris in production today. Don't let the "Homme" fool you - it's great for anyone.
    Thank you, it was really enlightening, I was keeping my eye out for Iris Nobile and wondering what it smells like; now I know I need to sample it for sure. As for Dior Homme, I don't know...still cant get past the "Homme" part.

Blog Entries

.... As for Dior Homme, I don't know...still cant get past the "Homme" part.

Oh no.......Really don't let that put you off. Lots of the girls wear out and out "masculines" anyway. But even if you wouldn't go that far, please just disregard the "Homme part", as you say. It is actually misleading. Dior should have been bold enough to market it for either a man or a woman, as many other companies off the high street do. I think that Dior Homme is really interesting in this respect. So this one may be a challenge for you, and that is great!! Sometimes we find what we are looking for where we least expect...

Oh no.......Really don't let that put you off. Lots of the girls wear out and out "masculines" anyway. But even if you wouldn't go that far, please just disregard the "Homme part", as you say. It is actually misleading. Dior should have been bold enough to market it for either a man or a woman, as many other companies off the high street do. I think that Dior Homme is really interesting in this respect. So this one may be a challenge for you, and that is great!! Sometimes we find what we are looking for where we least expect...
    Ok, you talked me in, and I will definitely look into it

Blog Entries

Ok, you talked me in, and I will definitely look into it
    Attagirl!