Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Best Iris fragrance, please help

Hello everyone!

I am on the hunt for a beautiful Iris based perfume where it shows itself front and center. The absolute love of my life is Chanel 19, (earlier formulation EDP and Parfum) and I guess I am trying to find not exactly a clone but something that has haunting beauty and powdery sadness of Iris. I have tried so far:

Serge Lutens Bas de Soie - not bad, by didn't blow me away
    Chanel 28, La Pausa - made me sick
    PG Iris Taizo - very nice opening but the base is too oriental

Any suggestions you might have will be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Best Iris fragrance, please help

Iris Bleu Gris
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Thank you WillC!

I just checked out Iris Bleu Gris on Fragrantica, sounds very interesting but it might be a bit too masculine for me? I am a girly girl and looking for something soft with a bit of naughty. In any case Iris Bleu Gris is definitely on my try list

+1 Iris Bleu Gris (not too macho IMO).
    Also I suggest Prada Infusion d'Iris. For a subtler, knee-trembling beauty, try Chanel 18 (a bewitching iris/rose).
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

Basenotes Institution

+1 Prada Infusion d'Iris ( and also Chanel No. 19 EDP but you love it anyway !!!!!!!! )
    For something out of this world iris but very expensive- Irissss by Xerjoff.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

PG IRISH ORIENTAL.

Cmax...

Another affordable, yet quite recommendable suggestion for testing may be Iris by L'Erbolario
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Wow! Thank you guys for you recommendations. It looks like Iris Bleu Gris and Prada Infusion d'Iris got the most votes so far. They are both on my must try list! I am also intrigued by your recommendation for Irissss by Xerjoff, Mimi Gardenia: if something is sooooo expensive it must be sooooo good!!! If I win a lottery I will definitely give a try...

Mr. Ken_Russell where can I test and purchase Iris by L'erbolario?

Thanks again everybody!

Hermes Iris Ukiyoe

Iris Silver Mist
    Iris Pallida
    Iris 39
    Citta di Kyoto
    Dzongkha
    Last edited by hedonist222; 8th February 2012 at 02:56 AM.
    for swap/sale:

So far, I only found online retailers like Amazon for purchasing L'Erbolario within the US, thus I don't know anything about their testing/sampling possibilities, but if I find a regular retail store within the US, I will return with another post
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Strange, I had the opposite reaction, I strongly dislike the swampy metallic Bas de Soie, but love the fresh La Pausa.

I second hedonists suggestion of the (expensive) Le Labo Iris. Also, reports suggest that Guerlain Apres l'ondee has now turned into an elegant iris, but I have not smelled the reformulation.

cacio

Thanks again everybody!

I heard quite a bit about Le Labo Iris, will have to try this one as well. I am most intrigued about Iris Pallida but it seems like there is a slim chance I would be able to find it anywhere. Luckyscent offered it for a while, but I was too afraid to buy it blind. Now of course they sold out and I am regretting that I didn't take a chance.

What about TDC Bois d'Iris, can anyone tell me how it smells? I recently acquired their Jasmin de Nuit and though not big jasmine fan I fell in love with it.

Christian Dior - Dior Homme ??

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Iris Silver Mist
    Iris Pallida
    Iris 38
    Citta di Kyoto
    Dzongkha
    He meant Iris 39 =)

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefluffy View Post
    Thanks again everybody!

I heard quite a bit about Le Labo Iris, will have to try this one as well. I am most intrigued about Iris Pallida but it seems like there is a slim chance I would be able to find it anywhere. Luckyscent offered it for a while, but I was too afraid to buy it blind. Now of course they sold out and I am regretting that I didn't take a chance.

What about TDC Bois d'Iris, can anyone tell me how it smells? I recently acquired their Jasmin de Nuit and though not big jasmine fan I fell in love with it.
    TDC Bois d'Iris is nice, very nice in fact. I wear it when I want something perfume'y and fragrant. The iris, if any, is not prominent like in La Pausa or Bas de Soie. So deeply imbedded but adds to the overall goodness of the perfume.

Iris Pallida is very unique. Reminds me of Turtle Vetiver Exercise 1 in concept not in actual smell.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    He meant Iris 39 =)
    You must be an auditor by profession, if not, then at least by instinct.
    for swap/sale:

Well, thanks to everyone's contribution I just ordered following samples:

Iris Bleu Gris
    TDC Bois d'Iris
    Heeley Iris de Nuit
    Frederic Malle Iris Poudre
    L'Artisan Dzongkha

I would have to order Le Labo Iris 39 from different source separately when my frugal conscience let me. As soon as I receive and process these "juicy" Irises I will be back with my thoughts. Meanwhile, thanks again for your caring and kind input, Basenoters are a kind folk indeed!

Banned

L'Eau d'Hiver by Frederic Malle - an icy iris ...

It sounds like you're off to a great start, but I'll add Lipstick Rose as an option - it's as much iris as rose, and is certainly a very fun, light-hearted take on iris.

I'm a no. 19(pre-reform.) fanatic too and I love Iris Silver Mist(Lutens). When I'm in the mood for something sweet then I go for Iris Poudre(Malle editions).

I liked Prada Inf. d'Iris okay but it's far too weak on my dry skin. Dior Homme is okay but too foggy, if that makes any sense. lolz.

I also love love love Calandre. I'm not sure if it's fits the bill as big-time iris scent but if there were no #19, it would be my number 1. There is some orris root in it IIRC.

Thank you, LaBoheme! This was very informative - as a fellow fanatic of early 19 you can relate to what I am looking for. Now I would definitely have to try Calandre and I am intrigued by Iris Silver Mist. Guess I would have to shell out for $7.00 sample at Perfume Court to check it out. Could you tell me a bit more about it, how similar it is to Chanel 19? Thanks

I'll say 1st that I've tried sooo many different perfumes to break my vintage no. 19 addiction (Silences, Scherrer 1, Niki St. de Phalle, Givenchy 3, Private Collection, Vent Vert, Heure Exquise, Vivre etc) and I'm still an Ebay haunting ghost. :<

I just haven't found anything that comes close. In fact, things with similar top notes like Silences and HE just make me frustrated! lolz.

That said, I don't think that ISM or Calandre actually resemble no. 19 at all in fragrance but they have a similar beautiful, strange, androgynous spirit, IMO.

I've got a few more on my list to try(vintage Quelques Fleurs, Jil Sander Scent 79 & Woman 3, Amazone) but I'm less than optimistic at this point. LOL ...Who knows, I might get a pleasant surprise one of these days. Meanwhile, the #19 hunting & hoarding continues.

In addition to all the very good recommendations above, I'd also suggest Prelude to Love--by Kilian. The top is citrusy, but after that the iris is very much front and center.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

ISM is pure carroty iris with very little else going on. I love it but it took me a while. I also recommend Prada Infusion d'Iris, and most of the Chanel Exclusives are pretty irisy- particularly 28 La Pausa, Cuir de Russie, and 31 Rue Cambon. Have you tried the No 19 Poudre?
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Hello, Kagey

Yes, I have tried 19 Poudre. Very nice and in your face but it is not stuff of my dreams. Too bad I read your post too late. I just ordered ISM and sounds like I might hate it just like I did 28 La Pausa. I love the powdery face of Iris but not the celery-carrot one. Oh well, the hunt continues....

Quote Originally Posted by LaBoheme View Post
    I'll say 1st that I've tried sooo many different perfumes to break my vintage no. 19 addiction (Silences, Scherrer 1, Niki St. de Phalle, Givenchy 3, Private Collection, Vent Vert, Heure Exquise, Vivre etc) and I'm still an Ebay haunting ghost. :<

I just haven't found anything that comes close. In fact, things with similar top notes like Silences and HE just make me frustrated! lolz.

That said, I don't think that ISM or Calandre actually resemble no. 19 at all in fragrance but they have a similar beautiful, strange, androgynous spirit, IMO.

I've got a few more on my list to try(vintage Quelques Fleurs, Jil Sander Scent 79 & Woman 3, Amazone) but I'm less than optimistic at this point. LOL ...Who knows, I might get a pleasant surprise one of these days. Meanwhile, the #19 hunting & hoarding continues.
    It is disheartening to know that there is nothing that comes close to vintage Chanel 19, and I will now hoard mine with more vigor. Ebay, I love you, I love you, I love you....

Hello, Kagey

Yes, I have tried 19 Poudre. Very nice and in your face but it is not stuff of my dreams. Too bad I read your post too late. I just ordered ISM and sounds like I might hate it just like I did 28 La Pausa. I love the powdery face of Iris but not the celery-carrot one. Oh well, the hunt continues....
    Well, give it a try and you may end up loving it too!
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    The best is difficult to tell, but Prada Infusion D'Iris and D'Homme (which is perfectly unissex) are great options, as Hermès Hiris.
    Plus 1 Hermes Hiris (and has the most in common with the uber pricey Irissss by Xerjoff) IMO

Iris is tricky because the powdery aspect can be because of the addition of other notes.

edited to add- you won't like Hiris and Irissss... they have the carrot Iris notes
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Plus 1 Hermes Hiris (and has the most in common with the uber pricey Irissss by Xerjoff) IMO

Iris is tricky because the powdery aspect can be because of the addition of other notes.

edited to add- you won't like Hiris and Irissss... they have the carrot Iris notes
    Thank you, now I don't have to worry about winning lottery to afford Irissss.
    Last edited by Whitefluffy; 12th February 2012 at 01:25 AM.

Thank you, now I don't have to worry about winning lottery to afford Irissss.
    I'm very glad I went back and read your post more thoroughly
    Sync'in and Think'in in 2015!