Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Aromatherapy diffusers?

After discussing different designer Aromatherapy diffusers with Teardrop in another thread I thought it might be helpful if everyone shares their suggestions and favorite fragrance diffusers (candles excluded). All suggestions are welcome.

Both Teardrop and I had a pretty hard time finding something that does not look very cheap & plasticky. Ill start with two suggestions

Look forward to seeing everyone else's findings!

Air Aroma - Aromax Diffuser

Dayna Decker - Couture Essence Diffuser

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best Aromatherapy diffusers?

Hah! I knew it wasn't easy, so far no suggestions :-/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ooh rosewond l only just found this thread! Thanks for asking this question. l'm off to work shortly but l'll check back here later...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Those Dayna Decker reed diffusers (along with several candles) have been available at several of the local TJ Maxx stores here in my area, for a FRACTION of the price, since about December. For reference, I'm in TN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

...And l'm back!

What l was looking for in the other thread was a diffuser that uses those little pads that can be impregnated with oils, or as Hillaire suggested, actual perfumes. l loved the idea of having a room suffused with perfume in this way; it would be another way of enjoying one's perfumes, as well as getting an idea of what the sillage might smell like from a distance, without having to spray it on someone else!

While l love the look of those Aromax diffusers, they do not work in the same way, & they are horrendously expensive!
    The ones l've seen that do work this way (fan-operated diffusers?) are all cheap-looking white plastic.

So, what l would like is one that l can use with real perfume, that looks good, that costs ideally around £50, & definitely no more than £100 maximum. ls this possible?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post

What l was looking for in the other thread was a diffuser that uses those little pads that can be impregnated with oils, or as Hillaire suggested, actual perfumes.
    The pads could work nicely. I think you just want to make sure they arent heated in any way. I believe when you heat fragrances like with oil burners this can lead to distortion of the fragrances because your changing the properties of the fragrance. Will have to do a bit more research on these pads I think

I have never used one of the pad diffusion devices but I find it hard to believe that a little pad with perfume on it will work any better than stick diffusion or candles.

I think you have two choices left: 1) lampe berger catalytic fragrance lamps or 2) an industrial scent diffusion system.

If you haven't tried catalytic fragrance lamps, I would start here. If you are unfamiliar, here is a youtube video about the fragrance lamps:

http://youtu.be/QTnVwAAYOPE

The lamps, wicks, and scent fuel can be purchased relatively inexpensively on eBay. There is no open flame (except for the first 2 minutes while you are heating the wick) and the scent can fill an area very quickly. The lamps run until they run out of fuel or until you snuff them with the cap. I find that they are much more effective than candles. This is definitely worth a try as you can always resell the lamp on ebay if you decide it doesn't do the trick. I use 2 myself: one in the entryway and one in the living room and I usually run them for a couple of hours each day. You could always add a lamp for each room if you want to scent a larger area.

The other advantage of catalytic lamps is that you can make your own fuel using a favorite personal fragrance and 91% isopropyl alcohol (I use 10% fragrance to 90% isopropyl as a general starting point for mixing - so a 100ml of your favorite fragrance could make 1000ml of fuel. This may be too strong or too light depending on the fragrance). You can also scent your own fuel by using concentrated candle and body fragrance oils purchased online or essential oils purchased locally. For concentrated oils, I use a mix of 1ml of fragrance to 100ml of alcohol. Each fragrance reacts differently to the heat, so you really need to test each fragrance oil to see if it will suit your needs. I have had good luck with SaveOnScents.com. They have a sample program which allows you to purchase 5 1.5ml vials of fragrance to test for around $4 including shipping. When mixed with 91% isopropyl, each vial makes enough fragrance to burn for about 7 hours -- more than enough to decide whether or not you like the fragrance. (and remember, you need 91% isopropyl - I buy mine at CVS for about $3 - NOT 70% isopropyl. The 70% has too much water and won't burn.) I use my lamps daily and the wicks last about one month each.

The other alternative would be to use a scent diffusion system designed for public spaces such as this scentwave system:

http://www.scentair.com/why-scentair...ons/#scentwave

I have considered these but decided to try the Lampe Berger first because the pro systems are expensive. But if you are looking for a seamless, professional result and money isn't an issue, this might be a great way to go.

For me, the catalytic lamps worked fine.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions LA2000, lampe berger is always a good option I used to have one. Scentair systems are sort of horrible looking though.

On a positive note I did find this, even though its just a concept, it looks quite beautiful. I wish they made these

http://www.studio-kg.com/scenter/

I just love that capsule diffuser idea because it uses natural things inside.

The only reservation with many of these products is the sheer quantity of chemicals being inhaled alongside the scents used. To render the scent to release its smell more slowly, such huge proportions of the diffuser base chemical are used, as well as in many cases, artificial perfumed chemicals for economy.

I did go and smell quite a few reed diffusers yesterday whilst shopping out of new curiosity. I found the ones I tried seriously chemically offensive, although I do realise one wasn't meant to smell them so close up. My husband smelled one and promptly sneezed numerous times and he doesn't suffer from any breathing problems or allergies.

I don't personally want all that in my lungs without knowing exactly what was in them. I would definitely prefer to use my own aromatherapy smellies on a little pad. I do like to know exactly what I am breathing in and that it is doing me good rather than harm.