Code of Conduct

Default Recommend 1 Cheap-o, 1 affordable & 1 mid priced frag for my image or personality

Think of a frag that might complement or lift up my low key personality.

Simple
    Quiet
    Clean cut
    Aloof
    Introverted
    A tad vain (not to a true metrosexual level)
    Not a skirt chaser
    (used to be always gloomy. Not anymore)

That's why I chose Eeyore as my avatar.

I don't really wanna use loud, brash, cheerful or macho frags, because it just does not fit me at all.

Don't bother recommending a high end frag, I'm a penny pincher and a beginner here and I aint buying it even if it smells like God's cologne.

Another detail about where I live that might be useful to those who are kind enough to recommend.. I live in a sunny, tropical, humid climate, near bodies of water (river, fish ponds, the sea)

Thanks in advance.

CHEAP-O:

AFFORDABLE:

MID PRICED:

Sound Scents

Default Re: Recommend 1 Cheap-o, 1 affordable & 1 mid priced frag for my image or personality

Cheap-O: Bellagio for Men by Parlux
    Affordable: Bulgari Black
    Mid Priced: Tiffany for Men
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Default Re: Recommend 1 Cheap-o, 1 affordable & 1 mid priced frag for my image or personality

Thanks.

I know my personality sounds so dull, but when you're in the middle of a long depression, like I was for about half my life, stuff like sparkling personality and being a people person does not feel very important at all.

I'm better now, and one of the things I'm using to start up my social engine is good scents, among other things.

in the affordable category:
    +1 Bulgari Black: rubbery, plush
    also Kenzo Flower (happy sparkly) and Aromatics Elixir (confident, spicy)

cacio

TYVM.

I used to not care about scents at all. Did not see the point. Now, I'm genuinely amazed how fragrances work on other people. It's like an invisible and virtual "eye contact and friendly smile" that you project to others.

People seem a bit more pleasant around me when I use JUST the right amount of scent.

Try Guerlain Vetiver or Habit Rouge.

Looking around basenotes forums tonight, I think I've found the type of fragrance I'm looking for.

Barbershop scents.

I'm thinking of buying the same talcum powder my old barber uses when I get my haircut. (not the case with that radioactive green "Million dollar" hair tonic he slaps on to my face after my hair and shave is done. )

I don't mind smelling like an old man.

Any good cheap ones? I already got around 8 modern scents in rotation, but I'd like to try those clean barbershops scents for everyday, non special occassions.

Would Old Spice and Brut be good for this? Or too strong?

Something easily available and inexpensive.

Sound Scents

Rive Gauche pour Homme from YSL or Clubman from Pinaud should fit the bill for inexpensive barbershop scents.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Sounds like Old Spice or Brut would be right up your alley. You could get one of those for your cheap-o. Maybe just don't apply too heavily.

If you have a good association with the talcum powder your old barber uses it's worthwhile to go find out what it is. This might give you that clean cut and confident feeling you want when you go out.

Prada Amber Pour Homme, or Mugler Cologne for mid range. They both smell like soap.

Sultan Man
    Carbone de Balmain
    Burberry London

CHEAP-O: Cuba gold

AFFORDABLE: Rochas man

MID PRICED: Chanel Allure Homme Sport

Banned

CHEAP-O: Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

AFFORDABLE: Story by Paul Smith

MID PRICED: Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Really nice recommendations.
    Thanks, everyone.

I love the "fresh out of the barbershop" clean and well groomed feel, without being over scented and smelling out of place.

Definitely Rive Gauche

It also falls in the "affordable" range

Lots of good recommendations above.
    I will have to second Rochas Man and Lolita Lempicka au Masculin. Lolita will give you a very unique smell that others will be interested to smell more of because its just so different but not blantant and in your face. Rochas Man is great juice and better than a lot of niche quality gourmands. Those are both cheapies or affordables (25 bucks or less). For Mid range try Bulgari Black. Its about 35 bucks. All 3 fragrances are very not "look at me" or anything like that but are very good to smell more of.

CHEAP-O: Nautica Voyage, simple and clean cut

AFFORDABLE:Burberry Brit powdery/Rive Gauche(love it) since you like barbershop scents.

MID PRICED: Cartier Roadster spearmint, YSL live jazz would be a cheaper alternative but not as nice and clean, in my opinion.
    Last edited by LoPsOrange; 9th February 2012 at 01:30 AM.

GENDARMEEEEEEEEEE yup, im yelling

Cheap: Azzaro PH
    Affordable/mid: Rive Gauche PH or Guerlain Vetiver

+1 Antidote

Encre Noir

I appreciate the recos. Inspiring and exciting selections, for me.

I think I'm slowly getting deeper into this perfume loving business..

I'm wearing Clean Men tonight, btw.

Sorry to hear of your battle with depression. I can relate—it is a genetic curse in my family. Sending you a big (hopefully non-creepy, albeit from a stranger) internet hug! As a kid, I always felt a kinship with Eeyore, too… Anyway, I’m a newbie here too, but fragrances *are* fantastic and it is amazing how a nice scent really can uplift one’s spirits.

For a cheapo clean barbershop scent, also try Tabac Original. It is strong, but I like it a lot more than Old Spice and with a light application, it smells great. There are also various iterations of Bay Rum out there, and those usually have a nice spicy, clean “freshly shaved” aroma.

Lots of great affordable ones were already mentioned, so also casting my vote for Rive Gauche, Eau Sauvage, Guerlain Vetiver. Maybe also look at Caron Pour un Homme, F by Ferragamo pour Homme, and Fath Pour l’Homme.

For other cheapos and affordable ones in the strain of Brut but nicer, (since you mentioned that too) might be Azzaro Pour Homme, Boss Number One, Cerruti 1881 Homme, and maybe Jazz.

As you mention that you are wearing Clean Men, maybe you also like citrusy- cologne styles? I always find citrus scents to be happy and bright. If it is an area of interest, definitely try Mugler Cologne! Eau de Cologne Imperiale is also a classic but doesn’t last very long of course. Versace Man eau Fraiche and Azzaro Chrome Sport are also ok affordable citrusy scents. 4711 is ridiculously cheap, but it is truly a cologne water and requires lots of reapplications, though that may be nice if it is hot and humid… Hermes Eau d’Orange Verte is also pretty affordable, but again, not long lasting as it is a citrus… After smelling a nice clean citrus, beware, the Clean Men may smell like a urinal cake in comparison though! Lol…

Best of luck!

+1 Encre Noir
    As soon as I read your post this is the first thing I thought of. It's perfect.
    It's somehow cheerful, yet gloomy, minimal and atmospheric.

Old Spice EDC put into an atomizer bottle is great. Also get Rive Gauche and Azzaro pour Homme and you will be set for life.
    Nothing makes you feel cleaner than Rive Gauche.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

You guys (and gals) are excellent. Thanks for the replies.
    Will seriously check all these out.

I used to be happy with just 1 cheap drugstore baby cologne in my cabinet, but this site and another local site's making me wanna experiment and buy and horde dozens of original scents. Heh.

To Ms.Cestrum:
    I'm not particularly in love with all sunny, citrusy scents, it's just that it's somewhat like a default scent to use in the humid, sweaty tropics.

Doesn't matter what are the notes are, as long as I feel squeaky clean and fresh and well groomed, even in the middle of the day when it begins to get steamy and sticky during the hot season.

Not so much wanting to project the most fragrant and luxurious and sophisticated scents on me.
    Just wanna smell super clean.

Deauville, by Michel Germaine, is another cheap option in the clean, powdery category; I think my bottle cost $7, so it is definitely an affordable scent. Also recommend Old Spice, as it's a classic that I think everyone should have on hand.

+1 on Lolita Lempica Au Masculin, Azzaro PH, Burberry Brit, Rive Gauche, and Encre Noir. None of these scents should cost you more than $40, with most even cheaper than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulakenyo View Post
    Just wanna smell super clean.
    Prada Infusion d'Homme is a super-clean, starched white shirt type of scent.

Top Notes
    Mandarin Orange, Neroli, 'Clean Notes'

Middle Notes
    Iris, Galbanum, Cedar, Vetiver

Base Notes
    Benzoin, Frankincense, Powdery Notes