Code of Conduct

Question Parfums de Nicolai - New York ~ from Luckyscent... is this a good formulation?

I heard the newer formulation of New York isn't as good. I have only tried a sample from Luckyscent, but my concern is if I purchase the full bottle will it be the same. Has anyone purchased New York recently from there (how is it)? Thanks in advance...

Default Re: Parfums de Nicolai - New York ~ from Luckyscent... is this a good formulation?

If you dont like the sample, do not order a bottle from Luckyscent because it will be the same.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Default Re: Parfums de Nicolai - New York ~ from Luckyscent... is this a good formulation?

Didn't even know there was a new incarnation. Only familiar with the original which I own a bottle of.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Didn't even know there was a new incarnation. Only familiar with the original which I own a bottle of.
    I've seen some things about a very old version (in a different bottle), but hadn't heard anything of a more recent reformulation. Still one of my top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I recived my new bottle yesterday. They have change the "New York" logo a bit on the sticker, and the scent seems a bit weaker than my first bottle. I think the "old" New York was more powerful. Pity..

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I recived my new bottle yesterday. They have change the "New York" logo a bit on the sticker, and the scent seems a bit weaker than my first bottle. I think the "old" New York was more powerful. Pity..
    It has definitely been a quite a bit watered down -- especially the base is not as opulent. However, the prior version was so ridiculously superior in quality that the new version is still really really good.

Quote Originally Posted by miguelca View Post
    It has definitely been a quite a bit watered down -- especially the base is not as opulent. However, the prior version was so ridiculously superior in quality that the new version is still really really good.
    It seems like it now has become more similar to Bois du Portugal. The former had more intense citrus notes in the top, was more powdery, and had better sillage. -But as you said, it`s still a great fragrance.

Where did you purchase from? What size bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Where did you purchase from? What size bottle?
    I bought the 30ml bottle directly from Parfums Nicolai web-shop.

I bought the 30ml bottle directly from Parfums Nicolai web-shop.
    Hmmm...
    Possible to take a pic?

When has it been reformulated? I bought mine last november or so from a niche perfumery nearby. It's terrific, it's strong as hell, dunno whether it's old or new.

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Hmmm...
    Possible to take a pic?
    The bottle looks exactly the same, but the sticker is a bit different. The letters are thinner, and looks a bit more refined.

okay, thanks.

I haven't tried the recent IFRA compliant version but New York (like Tiffany for Men) always struck me as just too good to be true in this day and age.

Quoted from The Little Book of Perfumes, 2011:

"Keeping New York identical in the face of both citrus and oakmoss restrictions is beyond the reach of even the most talented, high-minded, and diligent perfumer. Patricia de Nicolai is all these things, but the new New York is damaged goods. There should be a waiver customers can sign to get the old stuff." Luca Turin

Given that he wore New York for ten years this must have been a difficult one to write. It's encouraging to hear micuelga's comment - I'll get around to trying the new one at some point but given the impending destruction of the industry by IFRA I bought a few back-up bottles a while back so probably not for a while. My guess is that there is still some 'original blend' floating around out there if you look carefully.

I'll plug The Little Book here one more time seeing as I have now quoted from it a couple of times. It is much more than just a 'Top 100' list - LT & TS have made a valiant effort to inform people about post-IFRA compliant versions of their favourite perfumes and it's actually a public slap in the face for the IFRA for being 'traitors'. There is also some good additional material including a section on The Osmoteque, which Patricia de Nicolai, as it happens, now curates after Jean Kerleo (Patou pour Homme) retired from the position.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 16th May 2012 at 03:28 AM.