Code of Conduct

Default guerlain tonka imperiale: worth it?

I heard great things about TI, i was kind of disappointed with bond new haarlem and didn't know if tom ford's tv was too strong. I heard TI is a great in between. To anyone who owns it does the projection get you noticed, and hows compliments? The note breakdown sounds amazing and from reviews it looks like a winner. I also heard the same about cuir beluga, between the two which has the crown in terms of projection, longevity, and compliments?

Default Re: guerlain tonka imperiale: worth it?

Tonka Imperiale is a very nice scent and the few times I've used it the longevity and projection were very good.

it's freakin beautiful.

It's just such a good scent. It's definitely softer than the other 2 listed and actually I'd say a bit less sweet.

Its very good. Frankly I prefer tonka blended with other notes like lavender in Fourrea Noir and vetiver in Vetiver Tonka.

for swap/sale:

Sur la Plage

IMO, no.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Believe the hype. A slightly boozy tonka based masterpiece from Guerlain. When I first wore it it just smelled average to me, however my opinion greatly changed upon subsequent wearings. Nothing challenging or anything like that. It just has some beautiful subtleties that flew right under my radar at first.

but how is everyones experience in terms of projection,longevity, and compliments? i never tried TV but NH gave me a strong scent cloud for the first 45 minutes then became close to the skin. Does tonka imperial project? and what was the reception like? BTW I'm a college junior so i would generally wear this to lectures, dates, etc....

It lasts a long time on me and projects well. If you're looking for compliments though there is a lot that can be had for cheaper. I'm not saying that it won't be complimented, but if your priority is to get noticed, there are many that can be purchased that will accomplish this end for a fourth of the price. And you'll be doing yourself a disservice if you buy something with a price tag like that if you're trying to cater to anyone's tastes but your own.
    Last edited by Partario; 9th February 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

i dont know how new haarlem was weak for you. It projects and lasts forever

well i obviously would never purchase if i didn't like it. I am just saying the opposite is also true if you wear a scent and it smells like nothing is on ya or is offensive to others its not worth it either. I have GIT, MI, and Riverside and they project well and smell amazing, along with garnering tons of compliments. I think the complement factor is just the cherry on top to the perfect fragrance.

If you love sweet fragrances then this inst a problem imo, yes it is and that's why i purchased this.

New Haarlem is a sneaky one, kinda like Aventus to me. I didn't think I could smell it anymore, but got compliments 10+ hours after applying two sprays.

I gave Tonka Imperiale my first proper wearing today (from a sample), and it performed pretty well. It's been about 11 hours, and I can still smell traces of it.

Tonka Imperiale lasts forever, but is not a projection beast on me, 3-4 foot scent cloud. The scent last all day, last time I had it on was Thanksgiving and it lasted from 10 am all the way up to 12-1 am when I went to bed. One of my top 5 niche, better and more classy than New Haarlem.

I prefer Tobacco Vanille.

Will give this a full wear on Saturday, should be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by LoPsOrange View Post
    Tonka Imperiale lasts forever, but is not a projection beast on me, 3-4 foot scent cloud. The scent last all day, last time I had it on was Thanksgiving and it lasted from 10 am all the way up to 12-1 am when I went to bed. One of my top 5 niche, better and more classy than New Haarlem.

I prefer Tobacco Vanille.
    I'm not sure this is the Guerlain I'd compare to Tobacco Vanille - Spiritueuse Double Vanille is much closer to TV to my nose, and better too.

In a word...yes!

It is a great scent with average projection and longevity. I love the scent but it is hard to justify when compared with Tobacco Vanille and New Haarlem which are both projection and silage monsters that last forever for less $$$. I picked up a decant in a split for 30 ml and that is going to be enough for me and it won't kill my wallet either.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Aplle Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

dont spend any money you dont have on it please
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Blog Entries

I always wanted it and just ordered it from Nordstrom at a good price.

After reading Kafka's article, where she was underwhelmed -

http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2013/0...nka-imperiale/

I wonder what other ladies have to say about it.

Thank you, girls.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Well TV and NH aren't really similar apart from being sweet, so it's hard to compare. TV and NH are more "bold" or straightforward I guess you would say while TI is gentle.

When I first smelled TI I wasn't very impressed, but after about 5 wearings I really began to appreciate how good it is. I guess I would compare it to eating a really soft, moist almond cake on a brisk winter day if that makes sense . It's really gentle and comforting, I really love it. As far as compliments, it's a bit more feminine so you aren't going to be getting manly man compliments, but yes it definitely does get compliments. People love it. Projection is about average on me, but it suites the gentleness of the scent very well.

So definitely try it, a sample is only maybe $4.