Code of Conduct

Default Enthusiasm for your collection

I don't have a huge amount of fragrances compared to a lot people(about 65 or so). However I am in love everything in my collection, and the ones that I don't love I get rid of.

I just noticed recently that whatever fragrance I am wearing seems to be like the best ever at the time I am wearing it LOL. When I am feeling like I need to downsize my collection I will wear a frag that I don't feel all that enthused about, or haven't worn in a while, and all of a sudden I remember why it's in my collection to begin with.

Is anyone else like me in this regard?

Default Re: Enthusiasm for your collection

As a long time fragrance collector I find that even the ones I've added to my collection that I am less that "wowed" by are difficult for me to part with. The thought of downsizing doesn't seem to register with me yet.

I've become more enthusiastic about what is in my collection since I largely stopped buying new bottles a couple months ago. While I always like most everything I owned, I found my attention was frequently trained on what I was going to buy next, and not what I already had on hand. Now that I have cut down on purchases (in order to save money to fund non-fragrance interests this year), I find I am re-discovering what is already in my collection, and really enjoying my old bottles again.

I'm not ready to downsize yet (only just collected them all and, as a novice, am fairly easy to please still) but yes there are some I'm undecided about, plan to sell them off, try them one last time, and then they stay as they are fun to wear, even if not the greatest fragrance. I think I've emptied half of my bottle of Pi that way.

I used to buy ao much on impulse that I've started to swap or give away to friends (expat subordinates at work).
    for swap/sale:

I feel the same way as you do. I have swapped away a few niche bottles during the last years. This year I have sampled them again and I dearly regret having gotten rid of some of them (yes, thinking of you, OJ Tiare and Safran Troublant).

I have reached the point with my collection when everything I have ranges from "like a lot" to "adore". Sometimes I think that I should get rid of the bottles I am hardly using. When I get this urge I grab my bottle, sniff it and the urge is gone. They are all beautiful and worth keeping (even if I have enough perfume to last me for the next 15 years - yes, I have calculated it...)

I'm quite the opposite. Although I like variety, I just don't get jazzed wearing things other than those I really like. Probably going to do a big sale soon.

I love most of my collection, but there are a few that I keep around for some reason, maybe I think I'll like it someday or something. There are certain ones I've bought and tried once and then didn't pick up or even want to smell again, those got sold. I don't want to have a giant collection if it includes ones I don't think I'll actually wear.

So as of right now, my collection is 95% frags I love, 5% I'm ok with...I guess I'm pretty enthusiastic about that!

I only buy fragrances that I really like and I usually get rid of them by using them up. Scents that I've been gifted and am not thrilled about, I might prune a bit quicker by either giving away or discarding. I guess I'm not much of collector...

I'm kinda the same. Over the years, I've slowly whittled down my collection to 27 fragrances that I adore and can't get enough of. I still sample loads, but it takes something special to 'break into' my rotation these days.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Swaps
    Wanted

What I do is, get a fragrance, have the lust for it. When the time comes to downsize I sell the ones I lus after. Only to realise that when I sell them I actually loved them and try and buy them again. So it's a vicious cycle with me and my frags

Thankfully, I managed to so far keep up my enthusiasm even for the least favored fragrances in my collection, my enthusiasm is often strong enough to reach out with joy for a least favored scent
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Dependent

Pretty cool to read how everyone tools their collections. I just started 9 months ago. My full bottles are generally between "really like" and "love." I'm pretty decisive (just ask the women I date) and I'm rarely on the fence about a bottle. It's great to have a number of options in each of my favored scent categories and situations/moods.

I wonder how it will develop over time, as I've really done a TON of sampling these past 9 months. I sometimes wish I had kept a bit better track of all the ones I've tried (adding every single one to the test list, e.g.) but I've gotten a ton of knowledge in that time, too. It's becoming more rare that I come across a frag that's FBW anymore, which my wallet thanks me for.

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    What I do is, get a fragrance, have the lust for it. When the time comes to downsize I sell the ones I lus after. Only to realise that when I sell them I actually loved them and try and buy them again. So it's a vicious cycle with me and my frags
    This just started happening to me. I'm afraid I'm about to buy Knize Ten again after selling my previous bottle, nearly full. The madness has to stop!
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

I'm downsizing right now actually. Getting rid of some fragrances that I really like - in order to finance a few new ones that I love. I'll probably always keep it around 10-15, so I can get some actual use out of my favorites.

It takes a lot for me to want to add a new frag to my current collection, which is actually very small. I sold off most of my designer frags that weren't being used and have a few full bottles of niche frags I enjoy plus a dozen or so small decants... I'm getting more and more picky about what I'll wear.