Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pass the sample - proposals

I was thinking of starting a couple of pass the sample. I'm thinking about 2-3 ml per item, keeping the number of perfumes small in the interest of speed.

Ideas I have:

1 - masculine florals: Insense, Silences, Metal (Paco Rabanne), Globe, perhaps Narciso Sublime (Erbolario)

2 - Butch leathers: Knize Ten, Azuree, Bandit, Oud Leather, Oud Cuir d'Arabie, Rien

3 - Random anglosaxon stuff (tester I got at a store closeout): English fern, Castile, Stephanotis, Eau de quinine, Eucris, a couple of yardleys and bronnleys.

Never having organized one, I don't know how many people should sign up for said quantity, perhaps 5 to 10? Also, I'm not sure how to make it work for non-US BNers.

Anyhow, let me know if any of you is interested in any of these 3.

cacio

Default Re: Pass the sample - proposals

I have not seen this sort of thing before so I don't even know what the ground rules would be. Keeps the samples and send different ones along? Or sample and send to the next person? And why not make it US only, that would be easier...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

All I know is that I have loads of samples that I'm finished with, and this seems like a fun way to get rid of them. Although I live in Canada so I guess I'm out.
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

Sample and then sends them on to the next person.
    Canada should be ok, it may take a few days more, but I think it'll work.

cacio

I did something like this in a cigar forum once many years ago. The first person sent out a humidified box with 6 cigars in it. We were supposed to take one (or two) and add one (or two) and send it along. By the time the box got to me there were 15 cigars in that box. It was a fun thing to do... Perhaps sampling and deciding on one to keep and replacing it would be an idea?
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Great idea Cacio.
    If I were you I'd limit it to the US or start out with the US and then the last US sampler sends it to Europe and then it carries on from there.

I'm going to opt out this time though .
    for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Sounds like fun even though I can't participate. Be sure to share your thoughts here in MFD after you sampled them.

Power Where You Need It

Great idea Cacio, but I'm afraid I can't participate just because I got sick of dealing with italian customs issues...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I'd love to try this out. I too have plenty of samples I no longer want

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    If I were you I'd limit it to the US or start out with the US and then the last US sampler sends it to Europe and then it carries on from there.
    I've been involved in a few sample swaps sponsored by 30 Roses. On one or two of them, this is what we did - international recipients were last on the list, and then they kept the package at the end.

In the past, we were able to do like 3 people with just the small 0.7ml sample vials. It really only gave enough juice for a taste, but it was enough to decide if you want to pursue a larger sample or if it just isn't for you. With a spray vial, you'd want a little more juice per person. Probably be OK with 2 - 3 people per ml.

Large lots obviously took a while to get through. We had threads set up for impressions, but after a month or so people started to lose interest. Smaller sample packages definitely help that. Also, we set up time limits for each person to keep the parcel of samples, to keep it fair for those still waiting.

We didn't add or keep any samples - we just tried a little bit of each of them then sent the whole box onward. I think there was a C&S swap that someone added a few samples too, but it wasn't the intent for everyone to add samples. We did do a box with 30 rose samples (awesome month that was!), in which several people contributed samples, but sent them all to 30 Roses to pack into the original box. That way everybody gets to try all the same stuff.

I'd be interested in joining in - I've actually tried very few leathers, and none of the masc. florals you listed. I also wouldn't mind shipping out a few vials to be included in the package. Check out my wardrobe and let me know if there's anything you'd like me to include! And thanks for putting this together, it's quite a bit of fun to do these focused sampling groups - I've learned a lot in the past and even made a good friend!

Basenotes Plus

I'm in. Sounds like fun.

So right now, it seems we could have akahina (?), philmcpe, Al gae, and jivehippo in Canada. With a 2-3ml size, we should add a few more. It seems al gae prefers option 1-floral, followed by 2-butch leathers (I'd like to start with one pass, then later do a second etc.). Does that sound ok? or is there pref for other options?

Taking out and adding samples could be fun. However, as algae suggested, I think it's easier to keep it simple with few perfumes, so that it's easier and faster. Of course, if people have other stuff to contribute, we can always add to a subsequent pass the sample.

cacio

If there's still room, I would love to try those. Anyone in nyc is also welcome to have a sniff at my place. That might conserve the juice a bit.

First of all that's a great idea, also this should be country limited. Should be faster to ship to one and an other no need to cross customs.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    All I know is that I have loads of samples that I'm finished with, and this seems like a fun way to get rid of them. Although I live in Canada so I guess I'm out.
    If that's the case, send them to me lol :P

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    If there's still room, I would love to try those. Anyone in nyc is also welcome to have a sniff at my place. That might conserve the juice a bit.
    I have a feeling we would get along, Brian Chambers. Your Edward Gorey avatar, your extravagant prose, your impeccable taste, and now your brazen approachability. I think it's awesome you would invite the entire basenotes forum to your house.

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    I have a feeling we would get along, Brian Chambers. Your Edward Gorey avatar, your extravagant prose, your impeccable taste, and now your brazen approachability. I think it's awesome you would invite the entire basenotes forum to your house.
    I agree. A great addition to this community! A warm welcome to Brian Chambers.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    I'm finding fragrance is a lot like wine. I want to share it with other people, in part because I love to talk about it--but also because it's a great catalyst to other adventures.

As far as the invitation goes, I am pretty safe in knowing that NYers are an aloof bunch. I would be shocked if anyone took me up on it. But the invitation stands. Come on over, and we'll uncork the good stuff.

I'm finding fragrance is a lot like wine. I want to share it with other people, in part because I love to talk about it--but also because it's a great catalyst to other adventures.

As far as the invitation goes, I am pretty safe in knowing that NYers are an aloof bunch. I would be shocked if anyone took me up on it. But the invitation stands. Come on over, and we'll uncork the good stuff.
    I might be interested in this - I'm on the lower east side.

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    I might be interested in this - I'm on the lower east side.
    I will PM you (and anyone else interested) as soon as I know when these will be coming our way.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    So right now, it seems we could have akahina (?), philmcpe, Al gae, and jivehippo in Canada. With a 2-3ml size, we should add a few more. It seems al gae prefers option 1-floral, followed by 2-butch leathers (I'd like to start with one pass, then later do a second etc.). Does that sound ok? or is there pref for other options?

Taking out and adding samples could be fun. However, as algae suggested, I think it's easier to keep it simple with few perfumes, so that it's easier and faster. Of course, if people have other stuff to contribute, we can always add to a subsequent pass the sample.

cacio
    This sounds like fun, but I will be taking a pass...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

So far we have 5 lined up. There's place for more, but I guess we can get going and see how it evolves. I'm not sure of which one the favorite is, but let's go with the masculine florals. I will prepare the samples and ship them out sometimes next week. The person will sniff, then send on to the next one. At some point, it will have to pass to Canada, which implies a trip to the post office and filling the declaration form (plus a couple more dollars for the shipping) - if the last person wants to do so, good, otherwise he or she should send it back to me and I'll send it to Canada. Right now I have:
    1) philmcpe
    2) Al gae
    3) Boomer
    4) Brian (and others in NYC)
    5) jivehippo in Canada - (I didn't get whether oupavoc wants to be in or not)
    Did I miss anybody?

cacio

I sent out the packet to phil this morning. Shipping (regular mail) was $2.12, so I think there's no need to go to the post office, just put in a regular envelope with the postage (the samples are well protected, no need of bubble envelopes).

cacio

Ok, so I got the sample packet today, it included: Globe by Rochas, Silences by Jacomo, Metal by Paco Rabanne, Narciso Sublime by Erbolario, Isense by Givenchy, and a sixth mystery fragrance (Was this intended as a mystery fragrance or do you not know what it is Cacio?) Anyways, I had been wanting to try Globe for a while so that's the one I tried first. Has a pretty old school vibe to it, opens with a nice fresh touch mixed with florals and a prominent leather patchouly base. The drydown is actually my favorite, the leather accord really comes out and smells fantastic. I'll be trying one or maybe even two a day and I'll update on them as I do.

The mystery fragrance is intended as such - I had not thought about it when proposing the list, but then it striked me as being in the same green floral genre, so I decided to put it in, and I thought it could be fun to smell something without knowing what that was. I'll let you know later what it is - it is not very common so I bet most have not smelled it.

I like Globe a lot too - too bad that this style never met with success. It is perhaps the least floral of the set, the others have more substantial green and floral notes.

cacio

Tried Narciso Sublime by Erbolario today. Tons of white florals in this one. Smells very strongly of suntan lotion, if you've ever tried Bond No. 9's Fire Island it reminds a lot of that, I think I like this better though. Probably not something I would actually wear but an interesting sniff for sure.

I might take you up on this offer. I'll be visiting my brother in NYC hopefully next week for our birthday. Would be fun to have a mini-basenotes meet up if possible. I could bring some decants from our wardrobe over, so it's not just a one-way sharing experience.

Hobbes22, I am 4th on the list, so I think it will be a couple weeks before I receive the pkg. Not that that should stop us from swapping some samples. Your wardrobe is very interesting.

Anyone who is a friend of Sel de Vetiver is a friend of mine.

I apologize for a lack of updates but on Saturday night I was hit by a car while riding my bike. As you can imagine I haven't been doing much outside of resting in bed. I'll try to get back to the samples soon, if not I'll just send them along.

Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope nothing serious happened - do you have any broken bones?

Get well!

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Sorry to hear philmcphe. Don't worry about anything but getting well. GET WELL SOON !!!!!