Code of Conduct

Default Pass the sample - proposals

I was thinking of starting a couple of pass the sample. I'm thinking about 2-3 ml per item, keeping the number of perfumes small in the interest of speed.

Ideas I have:

1 - masculine florals: Insense, Silences, Metal (Paco Rabanne), Globe, perhaps Narciso Sublime (Erbolario)

2 - Butch leathers: Knize Ten, Azuree, Bandit, Oud Leather, Oud Cuir d'Arabie, Rien

3 - Random anglosaxon stuff (tester I got at a store closeout): English fern, Castile, Stephanotis, Eau de quinine, Eucris, a couple of yardleys and bronnleys.

Never having organized one, I don't know how many people should sign up for said quantity, perhaps 5 to 10? Also, I'm not sure how to make it work for non-US BNers.

Anyhow, let me know if any of you is interested in any of these 3.

cacio

Default Re: Pass the sample - proposals

I have not seen this sort of thing before so I don't even know what the ground rules would be. Keeps the samples and send different ones along? Or sample and send to the next person? And why not make it US only, that would be easier...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

All I know is that I have loads of samples that I'm finished with, and this seems like a fun way to get rid of them. Although I live in Canada so I guess I'm out.

Sample and then sends them on to the next person.
    Canada should be ok, it may take a few days more, but I think it'll work.

cacio

I did something like this in a cigar forum once many years ago. The first person sent out a humidified box with 6 cigars in it. We were supposed to take one (or two) and add one (or two) and send it along. By the time the box got to me there were 15 cigars in that box. It was a fun thing to do... Perhaps sampling and deciding on one to keep and replacing it would be an idea?
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Great idea Cacio.
    If I were you I'd limit it to the US or start out with the US and then the last US sampler sends it to Europe and then it carries on from there.

I'm going to opt out this time though .

for swap/sale:

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Sounds like fun even though I can't participate. Be sure to share your thoughts here in MFD after you sampled them.

Great idea Cacio, but I'm afraid I can't participate just because I got sick of dealing with italian customs issues...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I'd love to try this out. I too have plenty of samples I no longer want

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    If I were you I'd limit it to the US or start out with the US and then the last US sampler sends it to Europe and then it carries on from there.
    I've been involved in a few sample swaps sponsored by 30 Roses. On one or two of them, this is what we did - international recipients were last on the list, and then they kept the package at the end.

In the past, we were able to do like 3 people with just the small 0.7ml sample vials. It really only gave enough juice for a taste, but it was enough to decide if you want to pursue a larger sample or if it just isn't for you. With a spray vial, you'd want a little more juice per person. Probably be OK with 2 - 3 people per ml.

Large lots obviously took a while to get through. We had threads set up for impressions, but after a month or so people started to lose interest. Smaller sample packages definitely help that. Also, we set up time limits for each person to keep the parcel of samples, to keep it fair for those still waiting.

We didn't add or keep any samples - we just tried a little bit of each of them then sent the whole box onward. I think there was a C&S swap that someone added a few samples too, but it wasn't the intent for everyone to add samples. We did do a box with 30 rose samples (awesome month that was!), in which several people contributed samples, but sent them all to 30 Roses to pack into the original box. That way everybody gets to try all the same stuff.

I'd be interested in joining in - I've actually tried very few leathers, and none of the masc. florals you listed. I also wouldn't mind shipping out a few vials to be included in the package. Check out my wardrobe and let me know if there's anything you'd like me to include! And thanks for putting this together, it's quite a bit of fun to do these focused sampling groups - I've learned a lot in the past and even made a good friend!

I'm in. Sounds like fun.

So right now, it seems we could have akahina (?), philmcpe, Al gae, and jivehippo in Canada. With a 2-3ml size, we should add a few more. It seems al gae prefers option 1-floral, followed by 2-butch leathers (I'd like to start with one pass, then later do a second etc.). Does that sound ok? or is there pref for other options?

Taking out and adding samples could be fun. However, as algae suggested, I think it's easier to keep it simple with few perfumes, so that it's easier and faster. Of course, if people have other stuff to contribute, we can always add to a subsequent pass the sample.

cacio

If there's still room, I would love to try those. Anyone in nyc is also welcome to have a sniff at my place. That might conserve the juice a bit.

First of all that's a great idea, also this should be country limited. Should be faster to ship to one and an other no need to cross customs.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    All I know is that I have loads of samples that I'm finished with, and this seems like a fun way to get rid of them. Although I live in Canada so I guess I'm out.
    If that's the case, send them to me lol :P

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    If there's still room, I would love to try those. Anyone in nyc is also welcome to have a sniff at my place. That might conserve the juice a bit.
    I have a feeling we would get along, Brian Chambers. Your Edward Gorey avatar, your extravagant prose, your impeccable taste, and now your brazen approachability. I think it's awesome you would invite the entire basenotes forum to your house.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    I have a feeling we would get along, Brian Chambers. Your Edward Gorey avatar, your extravagant prose, your impeccable taste, and now your brazen approachability. I think it's awesome you would invite the entire basenotes forum to your house.
    I agree. A great addition to this community! A warm welcome to Brian Chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    I'm finding fragrance is a lot like wine. I want to share it with other people, in part because I love to talk about it--but also because it's a great catalyst to other adventures.

As far as the invitation goes, I am pretty safe in knowing that NYers are an aloof bunch. I would be shocked if anyone took me up on it. But the invitation stands. Come on over, and we'll uncork the good stuff.

I'm finding fragrance is a lot like wine. I want to share it with other people, in part because I love to talk about it--but also because it's a great catalyst to other adventures.

As far as the invitation goes, I am pretty safe in knowing that NYers are an aloof bunch. I would be shocked if anyone took me up on it. But the invitation stands. Come on over, and we'll uncork the good stuff.
    I might be interested in this - I'm on the lower east side.

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    I might be interested in this - I'm on the lower east side.
    I will PM you (and anyone else interested) as soon as I know when these will be coming our way.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    So right now, it seems we could have akahina (?), philmcpe, Al gae, and jivehippo in Canada. With a 2-3ml size, we should add a few more. It seems al gae prefers option 1-floral, followed by 2-butch leathers (I'd like to start with one pass, then later do a second etc.). Does that sound ok? or is there pref for other options?

Taking out and adding samples could be fun. However, as algae suggested, I think it's easier to keep it simple with few perfumes, so that it's easier and faster. Of course, if people have other stuff to contribute, we can always add to a subsequent pass the sample.

cacio
    This sounds like fun, but I will be taking a pass...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

So far we have 5 lined up. There's place for more, but I guess we can get going and see how it evolves. I'm not sure of which one the favorite is, but let's go with the masculine florals. I will prepare the samples and ship them out sometimes next week. The person will sniff, then send on to the next one. At some point, it will have to pass to Canada, which implies a trip to the post office and filling the declaration form (plus a couple more dollars for the shipping) - if the last person wants to do so, good, otherwise he or she should send it back to me and I'll send it to Canada. Right now I have:
    1) philmcpe
    2) Al gae
    3) Boomer
    4) Brian (and others in NYC)
    5) jivehippo in Canada - (I didn't get whether oupavoc wants to be in or not)
    Did I miss anybody?

cacio

I sent out the packet to phil this morning. Shipping (regular mail) was $2.12, so I think there's no need to go to the post office, just put in a regular envelope with the postage (the samples are well protected, no need of bubble envelopes).

cacio

Ok, so I got the sample packet today, it included: Globe by Rochas, Silences by Jacomo, Metal by Paco Rabanne, Narciso Sublime by Erbolario, Isense by Givenchy, and a sixth mystery fragrance (Was this intended as a mystery fragrance or do you not know what it is Cacio?) Anyways, I had been wanting to try Globe for a while so that's the one I tried first. Has a pretty old school vibe to it, opens with a nice fresh touch mixed with florals and a prominent leather patchouly base. The drydown is actually my favorite, the leather accord really comes out and smells fantastic. I'll be trying one or maybe even two a day and I'll update on them as I do.

The mystery fragrance is intended as such - I had not thought about it when proposing the list, but then it striked me as being in the same green floral genre, so I decided to put it in, and I thought it could be fun to smell something without knowing what that was. I'll let you know later what it is - it is not very common so I bet most have not smelled it.

I like Globe a lot too - too bad that this style never met with success. It is perhaps the least floral of the set, the others have more substantial green and floral notes.

cacio

Tried Narciso Sublime by Erbolario today. Tons of white florals in this one. Smells very strongly of suntan lotion, if you've ever tried Bond No. 9's Fire Island it reminds a lot of that, I think I like this better though. Probably not something I would actually wear but an interesting sniff for sure.

I might take you up on this offer. I'll be visiting my brother in NYC hopefully next week for our birthday. Would be fun to have a mini-basenotes meet up if possible. I could bring some decants from our wardrobe over, so it's not just a one-way sharing experience.

Hobbes22, I am 4th on the list, so I think it will be a couple weeks before I receive the pkg. Not that that should stop us from swapping some samples. Your wardrobe is very interesting.

Anyone who is a friend of Sel de Vetiver is a friend of mine.

I apologize for a lack of updates but on Saturday night I was hit by a car while riding my bike. As you can imagine I haven't been doing much outside of resting in bed. I'll try to get back to the samples soon, if not I'll just send them along.

Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope nothing serious happened - do you have any broken bones?

Get well!

cacio

Sorry to hear philmcphe. Don't worry about anything but getting well. GET WELL SOON !!!!!

Laid up in bed with nothing to do? Sounds like the perfect time to sample! Just kidding man, a car accident is no laughing matter - hope you heal up soon. Don't worry, I'm sure we've all got enough samples laying around to tide us over till you're back on your feet!

Quote Originally Posted by philmcphe View Post
    I apologize for a lack of updates but on Saturday night I was hit by a car while riding my bike. As you can imagine I haven't been doing much outside of resting in bed. I'll try to get back to the samples soon, if not I'll just send them along.
    Sorry to hear that my friend, worry about your health first, frags can wait.

As I do like the idea, but imo this should be limited to countries like example, USA sample pass or Canada sample pass. Simple because it would make shipping faster, cheaper and easier to get to members. Just my opinion.

Hey everybody! I got the package in the mail yesterday after work (I think it languished at the post office for a few days), and all samples are intact. I've started with Metal, cause I like the name. It sure does open up with a nice green floral blast, no powder here. I get the bit of iris, but I'm surprised ylang-ylang is listed in the notes. I usually don't enjoy it, but this floral heart is smooth and creamy, and downright pleasant. It doesn't seem to have much of a drydown to segue into, but the floral notes lose the green edge and become quieter. Not very sweet, either. I enjoy this one, but I think I'd prefer a little more butch after the florals start to fade out - I mean, I'm dying for some woods or something here!

I usually sample during the work week, so may not update again until Monday, but we'll see what happens this weekend. Thanks again for putting this together Cacio!

Good, what happened to phil? I haven't heard from him lately.

Re: Metal, I wonder whether you are hyposmic to the powerful, oily note I detect in the drydown, which is quite persistent on me. It's like the oily note in some narcissus, but here it becomes more mineral and strictly non-floral.

I forget, are the vials themselves labelled? Often, I don't label them, just the envelope.

cacio

Hey y'all, I'm back. I have finished going through all the samples and will be sending them along to BOOMER tomorrow. Some impressions:

Insense: I'd been reading how this was a masterpiece, etc. so I was pretty excited to try it out. I don't throw the term masterpiece around lightly, nor do I feel particularly qualified to apply such an adjective to a perfume. However, as far as masculine florals go, it's rare to find one that doesn't use some sort of crutch to convince the wearer of its masculinity. Woods or spices are often thrown into a floral heart to compliment or distract the delicacy of the floral notes. With listed notes of blackcurrant, lily of the valley, iris, magnolia - I wasn't expecting the most masculine of compositions. However, Insense manages to pull it off. Pleasantly soapy, tiny hint of powder, and a big slug of live greenery. The fir peeks into the heart to keep it grounded a bit, and slightly more into the drydown, but the floral bouquet lasts until the end of the fragrance. Which lasted a full workday, though it was a bit more ghostly towards the end. FYI, this one demands to be worn, not just sampled, the sillage is perfect for me, wafting pleasantly around my head most of the day. I'm going to look into this one more.

Globe: This was a nice surprise for me. It's no use picking it apart - like a significantly darker version of Antidote, the laundry list of notes blends into smooth, unified accords on my skin. I'm impressed by the development - starts with a lot of fruit and florals, which persists a bit into the heart, when the florals assert themselves more fully. Sweet, ripe and rounded - perhaps a little too sweet for my taste, I'm reminded of a sweeter Reflection man for a while here, actually. It turns a corner into the drydown when some leather rises up to darken the florals - it becomes a little more classically masculine here, the leather more prominent than any particular wood accords, but certainly not a stark, naked leather. Definitely interesting and enjoyable, but it didn't quite compel me to search for a bottle.

Narciso Sublime: Had a hard time with this one. I don't know what Narcissus is supposed to smell like, but I get a very tuberosey vibe from this one, very green and mentholated, yet very heady and powdery. Didn't feel terribly masculine in this one.

Silences: Floral and very green. It gets bitter, in a very good way, later in the development, and although I don't see vetiver in the notes, I get a very vetiver-esque bitterness going into the drydown. I suppose that's the moss, which sadly as a newer perfumoso I haven't had a ton of experience with. Fans of green florals will probably enjoy this, I know I did, although it took a while to get to the stuff I really liked.

Mysterious no. 6 This one opened with a blast of dense florals, hard to nail down exactly what was there. Maybe some iris and rose. It rolls into a sweet, floral heart accord, very reminiscent of Egosite, with perhaps a little more iris? It smelled a little more "purple" to me, and a bit sweeter then Egoiste. And it lacked spice, but it seemed as though a bit of wood (sandal?) was anchoring the florals here - I actually liked it quite a bit. A bit too sweet for me perhaps.

I've added a spray vial of MPG's Centaure to the box for the rest of you to enjoy. I thought that it fit the general theme of the swap, and although not discontinued, MPGs can be hard to sample for some.

All-in-all a very enjoyable experience. Thanks again Cacio, I really appreciate the opportunity to test out these discontinued
    gems! Oh, and by the way, you did label both the bag and the atomizer.

Excellent. Looking forward to the goodie box !

Great descriptions! good to know I labelled, I was a little afraid after your description of Metal, but the other descriptions are spot on.

By chance, I was wearing Insense today. Indeed, big longevity, a little bit of it survived past the gym and the shower after work.

cacio

Update: could not make the post office tues, shipped the package to Boomer yesterday. I sent him a PM with the tracking number.

I received it, Thank You Al. Looking forward to it. I will see if I can add a little something that Brian doesn't have, which means I will have to message him to find out if there's anything on this planet that he doesn't already own...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by >BOOMER< View Post
    I received it, Thank You Al. Looking forward to it. I will see if I can add a little something that Brian doesn't have, which means I will have to message him to find out if there's anything on this planet that he doesn't already own...lol...
    The above response was to Al, meaning I received his PM. Probably confused everyone with that, just was busy and didn't notice.

Anyway, I just received "The Goodie Box" today (literally in a Chanel No 5 box...lol). I'll just need a few days and they will be off to Brian. l8r.

Hi All. Good to be back after we all had a quick vacation!

"Pass The Samples"

1. Givenchy Insense - A "freshly cut" wood note which is heavy at the opening, aldehydes, touch of lavender. This one packs a punch. Strong.

2. Paco Rabanne Metal - Might be the greenest scent I've ever smelled. Reminds of working in the garden when I was a child. Seems to have a bit of every floral note on the planet mixed in. Bizarre.

3. Rochas Globe - sweet with a nice and fruity opening. Then comes the amber, which I love when it's done just right and this one gets it right. Nice trip to the fruit section of the grocery follows and finally the rosey, heavy floral and musky blast takes you to a very nice drydown. This one was easily my favorite. A great one and by the way, you can still find this one too. Excellent.

4. Narciso Sublime - There use to be a certain brand of Pomade that this reminds me of. For those that may not know what pomade is, here you go. Pomade is a very thick and strong hair grooming product that has been used for decades, and actually, is still in use today. To give you an idea, it has a very similar texture to Vasoline Petroleum Jelly, which some of you may be familiar with...lmao. Although there are many different brands of pomade, they all have a somewhat similar smell. This one has that, and also smells just like a particular brand that my grandfather used in his barbershop. I can't remember the name though. That smell is prevalent here. Combined with a very soapy, straight razor shaving soap type smell as well. Once again, taking me back to the days I spent in my grandfathers barbershop. If this one was lighter, I would love it. But, it also reminds me of a teenage kid wearing enough pomade to part the Red Sea, let alone his hair. Pass.

5. Silences Jacomo - Floral, but quickly gets very powdery. To much powder in this one as it dominates. Yuk.

6. Mysterious #6 - Goodyear Tire & Rubber Pour Homme, or maybe it's Michelin. Throw in a little used Valvoline 10w30 and there you have it. I don't own Bulgari Black, but I have sampled it. Striking resemblance at 1st whiff. I had to get this one off after a while...lol. Big, big rubber note right off the bat. This fragrance really is a mystery. I tolerated it for about as long as I could. The "Rubbery, Oily Mess" dominates the scent the whole way. I simply couldn't get passed it to find any other virtues. Double Yuk.

7. Maitre Perfumer et Gautier Centaure - (Al Gae added this one) - I appreciate Al adding this one as I had never tried any of the MPG line. Lavender, IMHO, can make or ruin a scent in a hurry. Many times it's simply overused. This one really blends it well. The mint blast eases its way in and blends nicely with the lavender. From there it flows flawlessly to a very woodsy finish. Excellent.

Thank you cacio, Al and everyone that made this possible. This was great ! Looking forward to the next one.

Ok, I did my thing, short and sweet and I'm done. Time for Brian to give these fine fragrances some "Poetic Justice".

>BOOMER<

Boomer

Thanks for the comments! Agree with all, except the mystery ... we shall see what the others think! This may warrant a thread by itself. When the passing is done and the identity revealed, we might want to start one.

Re the pomade, this reminds me of a post some time ago about Amouage Gold man. Somebody claimed it smelled like the pomade called Tres Flores or three flowers. I promptly bought it - regrettably no similarity. But it doesn't smell bad either, and it does smell somewhat thick floral. Would that be the pomade in question?

cacio

Boomer

Thanks for the comments! Agree with all, except the mystery ... we shall see what the others think! This may warrant a thread by itself. When the passing is done and the identity revealed, we might want to start one.

Re the pomade, this reminds me of a post some time ago about Amouage Gold man. Somebody claimed it smelled like the pomade called Tres Flores or three flowers. I promptly bought it - regrettably no similarity. But it doesn't smell bad either, and it does smell somewhat thick floral. Would that be the pomade in question?

cacio

Unfortunately no, I will recognize the name the second I hear it though. It's amazing how smells can take us back to a time long ago, in an instant. That's what Narciso Sublime (even though I didn't care for the strength of it) did for me. It took me way way back in time, and in a hurry. Great experience...

Package arrived today! Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    I'd be interested, but I'm not in USA.
    Where are you? It's on its way to Canada next.

All of the samples are still really full. Any objections if I ask some of the local NY BNers if they want to have a sniff before it exits the US?

These are great BTW. Thanks for putting this together. I have never smelled any of them!

It seems our sniffers are very considerate. Sure, the more people can smell, the merrier.

cacio

Paco Rabanne Métal - Around the four hour point, it has turned so skanky and fecal (like a dirty diaper) that it's just repulsive. I see no mention of this in any review--not even of the initial skank, which was acceptable. I've had similar issues with other frags (Mouchoir de Monsieur), so maybe I'm either hypersensitive to something or my skin turns a particular element in the worst way.

Paco Rabanne Métal - Around the four hour point, it has turned so skanky and fecal (like a dirty diaper) that it's just repulsive. I see no mention of this in any review--not even of the initial skank, which was acceptable. I've had similar issues with other frags (Mouchoir de Monsieur), so maybe I'm either hypersensitive to something or my skin turns a particular element in the worst way.
    lol

Double...

Is it too late to arrange a NYC sniff meet up? I'm actually in town, I wouldn't mind a meet-up with some of the NYC people that have expressed interest (Brian Chambers, firehorse, icanzapyou).

I still have the samples. Firehorse, are you still following this thread? Icanzapyou was interested but sounds like he's pretty busy.

I had not noticed Brian's post on Metal. Quite interesting, perceptions are completely different on this one. I perceive it as green, oily (not tar, but olive oil) - as Tania Sanchez review. Al Gae perceives it as a pretty green floral with no drydown (which means he is anosmic to some drydown notes). Brian as extremely skanky and fecal (meaning he must be hypersensitive) This one needs more opinions for sure... alfarom (who seems to agree with Brian on other issues) eg?

This suggest a face off of sorts, two giant monsters fighting each other and bringing destruction to the streets of NYC, Tirrenico, aka the blue monster, vs Metal, aka the green monster. If I ever stop by in NYC, Metal's what I'm going to wear for Brian to smell - he'll surely respond with Arabian doses of Tirrenico!

cacio

This one needs more opinions for sure... alfarom (who seems to agree with Brian on other issues) eg?
    This time I've to (partially) disagree with Brian. To me Metal is all about an extremely green chypre entirely built around hyacynth: a true to life hyacynth. Yes, if you smell the real flower, expecially when it's almost overriped it has an indolic aspect that may bring to mind of fecal notes but I don't get this aspect from Metal.

Overall I quite like Metal but I find Le Temps d'une Fête a much better take on the main theme...

These samples have stalled in my apartment, but hobbes22, firehorse, and icanzapyou are coming over tonight to take them for a spin around the block, and I'll be sending them to JiveHippo tomorrow.