Code of Conduct

Default Jazz Prestige appreciation

So after buying Jazz Prestige a while back and a few wearings, I just wanted to say how nice this scent is. It's a shame that it never gets much discussion, even more that is was discontinued. I think I found like only one other thread about it.

It very much feels "warm," overall. There are hints of mint mixed in with the top notes that give it this quirky fresh-aromatic top. It's this mintyness in the top that remind me of Live Jazz, which came some years later.

It is in the middle and basenotes, which give it it's "warm" character, I feel. Some tobacco giving way to hints of sandalwood. There are florals here, it seems, yet more muted and spicy. I feel like Jazz Prestige would work all year round, yet I bet it'd be right at home during summer nights. Interestingly enough, Jazz Prestige makes me want to wear it while listening to jazz in a nightclub, which I think I will next time.
    Last edited by gimpy; 12th December 2006 at 06:49 PM.

Default Re: Jazz Prestige appreciation

How does Prestige compare to original Jazz?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Thumbs up Re: Jazz Prestige appreciation

I love it.. & really sad that it is not on the shelves there

it is more complicated, mature & luxorious than the original JAZZ...you can feel the 'PRESTIGE'

there is somthing about that makes it so french..it has a Fougere character .. i can detect the combination of sandalwood & lavender clearly..
    it was long time since i have sniffed that amazing juice.... I miss it alot...I am still dreaming that the new YSL creative team might bring it back again

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl

When you say Original Jazz do you mean the white & black stripy bottle or the current transparent bottle?

gupts

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    I had Jazz briefly a couple years ago but from what I can remember Jazz is bit lighter and fresher than Jazz Prestige. I remember it seeming a bit perfumey, whereas Presitge has some heavier notes to "weigh" it down some. There are still similarities to the original, yet Prestige takes a more warmer and almost more sensual approach. Jazz is like that all-purpose go anywhere frag, whereas I see Prestige as a more evening frag, if that makes sense. Interestingly, it says it's a Concentree.
    Last edited by gimpy; 13th December 2006 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts
    When you say Original Jazz do you mean the white & black stripy bottle or the current transparent bottle?

gupts
    Speaking of which, I've seen both versions. What's the deal with that?

I'm wearing Jazz Prestige today owing to this thread, and I am in complete agreement with your remarks. The first thing that I am struck by upon initial application is a prominent mint note, reminding me of Green Jeans, Herba Fresca, or CdG's Peppermint. This note is very prominent and longlasting, but it is then joined about 30 minutes later by a progressively more noticeable fougere character. After two hours, the sandalwood is just starting to appear, and this note should slowly strengthen. Overall, Jazz Prestige undergoes a very interesting, albeit pretty narrow, evolution on the skin.

I own both this and the "original" Jazz. As for appearances, my bottle of Jazz is completely striped black and white from head to toe, while only the cap and shoulders of my bottle of Jazz Prestige are given this treatment, the remainder of the bottle being clear. In character, the primary difference that I note between the two is the prominent mint note in Jazz Prestige; this is absent in Jazz. Also, Jazz is a little woodsier in the basenotes than Jazz Prestige. I enjoy both scents very much.

Jeff

I never got the opportunity to wear Jazz Prestige but I do have a bottle of the regular Jazz. It is a great scent, but I guess it is to 'mature' for me to wear. It is like a light 80s powerhouse frag. I have it on my swap list so come with a few suggestions and I may swap it, it's pretty hard to find nowadays.

I should also note the impressive longevity of both Jazz and Jazz Prestige! Ten hours on and the latter is still holding on beautifully, with no sign of letting up.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy
    Speaking of which, I've seen both versions. What's the deal with that?

I think Jazz in the transparent glass bottle does not smell as good as the Jazz that used to come in the white and black stripy plastic bottle.

Perhaps some formulation change alongwith the packaging.

gupts
    Last edited by gupts; 15th December 2006 at 02:43 AM.

I received a used bottle and my impression is that this is quite heavy.I have never sampled the original Jazz and the Live Jazz left me unimpressed.I know the latter is considered as a summer scent,but I think that Jazz Prestige suits better to colder months.Rather formal too,I can't find many occasions to wear it.
    On the other hand,the juice I got, could possibly have gone off...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

The lavender, mint, and tobacco persist, whereas the geranium "burns off" and the sandalwood is not strong. The fruit note really works well here, keeping it "modern" and balanced. It starts out similar to many of this ilk, such as Montana ("red box"). This is more refined and subtle, thank goodness. If you can get it cheap it's well worth it. For example, I like this better than Creed's Vintage Tabarome. Longevity and sillage are excellent too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    The lavender, mint, and tobacco persist, whereas the geranium "burns off" and the sandalwood is not strong. The fruit note really works well here, keeping it "modern" and balanced. It starts out similar to many of this ilk, such as Montana ("red box"). This is more refined and subtle, thank goodness. If you can get it cheap it's well worth it. For example, I like this better than Creed's Vintage Tabarome. Longevity and sillage are excellent too.
    I'm very glad you enjoy this Bigsly. The problem for me when I wore this was the "fruity" part of the opening. I'm not sure if this is true or not but when I smell Jazz Prestige, there is an apple note in the beginning that completely throws me off and is basically the whole theme of this fragrance. Now that you mention a mint, I realize now that there was some sort of menthol in this "theme": mint and apples. Which may sound very nice but in reality, does not smell so good together. Or at least is my opinion.

I've only sampled Jazz & Live Jazz a long time ago, so I can't really compare them. As for Prestige, I've never smelled anything like it. The apple / mint / sandalwood accord is unlike anything I've sniffed before. I don't get much tobacco out of this like other reviewers do. As a matter of fact it's a pretty linear scent that doesn't evolve a lot. Prestige is quite "perfumey" when first applied, but thankfully that subsides pretty quickly. On me the scent lasts all day, but stays close to the skin after 4-5 hours. I would say sillage is moderate during that time. Prestige is light enough to be worn in all but the hottest of weather. However, I couldn't see myself reaching for it all that often. While I enjoy and wear the scent, I would tire of it quickly if I had to use it with any sort of regularity...

Overall, I like this scent a lot as a change of pace option. It's not a 5 star scent, but it's not going up for sale either. I don't think I'll look to replace it when it's done, at least not at the prices I'm sure it's going for. However, if you can get it for a decent price then I think it's worth a shot...

Reviving this old thread, because I've scored some of this juice, and it really is pretty unique to my nose. I can't decide if I like it , or figure out when I would wear it, but I'm pretty sure it's a work of art. My initial impression is that it's a mutant fougere, caught mid-morph from something stately and classic to something modern and just a little dirty, but also completely out of step with contemporary frags. More frightening than fresh, but more pretty than ugly.

I got a bottle a few weeks back for a low price. I think it would make a nice office scent and great for summer nights. I would wear it with casual dress- The citrus and mint is quite refreshing and the tobacco and sandalwood give it a mature feel.

I can't say there is anything else much like it in my wardrobe and am happy to own it.
    La vita Ŕ breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a very nice scent.

Well put BenDayDot. I find it more laid-back than Jazz. The greater note separation and softer overall feel makes it a great warm evening scent as koala suggests. The greater prominence of the patch and honeyed notes probably adds to the casual/semi-casual feel. Perhaps a little dated but still it's wonderful and sadly discontinued.

Fantastic scent, love it!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Fantastic scent, love it!
    Same here!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Smells good but is definitely a bit dated. Naturally still very much wearable, but hasn't stood the time best. Bergamot - geranium - Mysore sandalwood with a hint of tart apple. Rich and soapy, purely 80's style fragrance, no matter even though released in the 90's.
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 23rd September 2012 at 11:19 AM.

I remember making this thread!

I still feel the same as I did in 2006 about this frag. I'll echo what was said about that it is a tremendous frag for summer nights, and one of the most unique smelling frags I have smelled.

I had Prestige many years ago.
    And I loved it.
    Found one at eBay sometime ago but was too expensive.
    Maybe ysl remember to bring it back...

You still get the odd bottle for sale on ebay, I think there is one on there now which is brand new in box, and still sealed, there cant be many of those around nowadays. This was one of my favourites during the 90's, I might just invest....

- - - Updated - - -

You still get the odd bottle for sale on ebay, I think there is one on there now which is brand new in box, and still sealed, there cant be many of those around nowadays. This was one of my favourites during the 90's, I might just invest....

Recently picked up JP to complete the Jazz trio. It's spectacular! It builds on the base of Jazz a very suave Rosewood and vanilla accord. Impossibly good. At times it reminds me of Zino. Need to start picking up some backup bottles.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976