Code of Conduct

Default Help: Racy, edgy new frag for my girlfriend for V-Day

Ok, I need the basenoters to help pick my next frag for my girlfriend, probably for V-day. I'm going to list the main frags she has that she really likes. She really wants something unique and special. She HATES anything that is very popular or common to the non-basenotes world: (so no Angel, Chanel 5, etc.) I want to keep it under $200, so niche is ok. I want something special, racey edgy, sultry etc. Here is her main wardrobe that she really loves:

-Creed Love & Black
    -Dune
    -Shalimar
    -Blgari Jasmin Noir (although it's a little boring perhaps)
    -Creed Neroli Sauvage (has a sample, so I could get it)

Thanks in advance everyone!
    Last edited by jpo; 9th February 2012 at 03:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help: Racy, edgy new frag for my girlfriend for V-Day

How about Tom Ford Black Violet or Black Orchid?

l also recommend Caron Narcisse Noir; a seductive floral with incense & animalic undertones.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Tuberoses are very edgy and sultry. Examples are Fracas (buttery, not too difficult to find) and Tubereuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens (more aggressive).

For sultry in the sense of musks and spices, there's Kurkdjian Absolue pour le soir (expensive though, although I believe below $200). And for edgy in the sense of leather whips and similar paraphernalia, Bandit (a green leather).

Re Caron Narcisse Noir suggested by teardrop, this used to be the perfume for femmes fatales. But it has been badly reformulated in the regular version, so you have to check the (expensive) extrait, not the eau de toilette.

cacio

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

Re Caron Narcisse Noir suggested by teardrop, this used to be the perfume for femmes fatales. But it has been badly reformulated in the regular version, so you have to check the (expensive) extrait, not the eau de toilette.

cacio
    Thanks cacio; l haven't tried the vintage, but l sampled the EDT just days ago, & l personally found it swoonworthy! See this month's Sample of the Day thread for my impressions.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

All great suggestions so far everyone! Caron Narcisse Noir sounds wonderful, but look hard to find the extrait (vintage) other than ebay. I'd hate to blind buy an expensive vintage off ebay. What do you guys think, is that risky?

Kurkdjian Absolue pour le soir sounds like it's a love it or hate it frag. Perhaps a sample is in store.

She has always liked the Tom Ford's, those are worth a check to. I have not tried the Black Orchid or Black Violet. I think she liked the Neroli from TF.

She has a sample of Montale Moon Oud, which she really likes , but doesn't have great longevity. I'd like to get her a frag that develops and blooms all day, like Musc Ravageur does on me!

Blog Entries

Blind buying an expensive vintage on ebay is definitely risky, l would say.

l am surprised to hear of a Montale with poor longevity; l usually find their longevity outstanding.

Does your gf like ambers? lf so, Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterranea by Profumi del Forte is worth a try; an complex amber with lots of character & amazing longevity. And easily unisex, so if she doesn't like it, then you probably will!

Sur la Plage

Miller Harris L'Air de Rien
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

If she likes ambers (or enjoys MR on you) you could check out Mona di Orio's Amber and Musc (or just get her to wear MR). They aren't really edgy or sultry though, just simply wonderful. Her Oud might fit the bill but that's outside the budget you indicated.

Tom Ford Violet Blonde would also be worth a sniff - an edgy floral with animalic undertones. Costume National 21 is an unusual patchouli with all the attributes you're looking for. If she's a bit daring and open to unusual scents then you could try HdP 1740 - a dark, exciting blend.

Basenotes Plus

Jpo, please come back and let us know what perfume you chose to give her for Valentine's Day.