Code of Conduct

Default Breath of God by Lush

Searches are coming back empty on this one and apparently it's not listed in the directory either.

A basenoter mentioned this one to me the other day and I'm kind of interested in it.

Any of you have experience with it?

A couple of things I'd like to know: How would you describe the scent? Is it watery? Is it similar to any other frags? And does it lean toward the masculine or feminine side of the fragrance spectrum?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Breath of God by Lush

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Searches are coming back empty on this one and apparently it's not listed in the directory either.

Try harder.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    Try harder.

Thanks, buddy.

Is there a secret password or something I should know about?

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post

Alfarom, is that the same fragrance as the one by Lush?

I know it's got the same name but it looks like two different companies.

completely the same

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    completely the same

Thanks!

BNTBTBB used to be an offshot of Lush. Then it was killed. But Turin Sanchez gave 5 stars to BoG, so it was brought back in the main line and is now available in Lush stores everywhere (so you can smell when you stop by one). Incidentally, a couple of other BNTBTBB have come back (eg Dirty) or are available from the Lush website (but not from the stores).

Re BoG, I love it. It's an avantgarde smoky vetiver. I would describe it as a base of fresh vetiver overlaid with some plasticky smoke, like fried motherboard, and a touch of artificial Japanese candies. Which sounds like a disaster, but instead works perfectly. The feel is quite different from other smoky vetivers (say Sycomore) - it's definitely grey and weird, almost like a picture from a post-industrial wasteland. It is definitely masculine (though I don't see any problem with women wearing it), and there's nothing watery in it. As is clear from the description, this is a love/hate thing, and, while cheap, it shouldn't be bought blindly.

It also comes in a stick form. Interestingly, the stick on my skin comes out differently. At regular temperature, I only get the fresh vetiver. when I am at the gym and sweat, the smoke comes out. In other words, the stick, on most people, may appear as a more regular vetiver with a hint of smoke.

cacio

I would certainly avoid blind-buying this one. I fall firmly in the 'hate' camp. It reminded me of rotting vegetation (specifically, cabbage) and I couldn't get home fast enough to scrub it off.
    Last edited by Marais; 11th February 2012 at 07:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Funny about the melting motherboard. Breath of God is the sum of Inhale and Exhale, created by Simon Constantine, and inspired by his trip to Buddhist temples in the Far East. Inhale is the more feminine of the fragrances. Exhale is the other one, although everyone can wear them both. Simon sort of threw them together to see what would happen, he said, and this happened.
    At first they were in B Never Too Busy to be Beautiful, the lovely shop which lost Lush a considerable amount of money during its short, brightly burning life. Then they were supposed to have gone forever (so I bought one of everything). Then they came back within Lushs Gorilla Perfumes. They have the full range at several Lush shops, including Regent Street and Newcastle, as well as online, and some of the really early Lush fragrances like Icon, like a superhuman version of Mure et Musc IMHO. Lots of natural ingredients, soothed by some safe synthetics, but still wild enough to give you a surprise. Incense, wood, herbs, flowers and fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I would certainly avoid blind-buying this one. I fall firmly in the 'hate' camp. It reminded me of rotting vegetation (specifically, cabbage) and I couldn't get home fast enough to scrub it off.
    I agree with the blind buy comment but I fall in the 'love it' camp. It is definitely unisex but is unique. I can't stop sniffing my wrist when I wear it and for me it dries down to something reminiscent of Marc Jacobs Men which I also enjoy.

And it has massive longevity.

I am completely surprised that this one still exists as I can't imagine it being popular with your typical Lush customer. I had a small bottle from Never Be Too Busy, and the current version smells virtually the same; smokey vetiver, decaying florals, incense, wetness. While being extremely unique, it's quite wearable. In some ways it reminds me of Vero Profumo's Onda.

Sur la Plage

It is an excellent fragrance. I highly recommend it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hmm Breath of God smells like what it is...two fragrances full of their own complexities that got mashed up into one bottle. It's not a good thing. If Luca Turin didn't 5* this no one would have heard of it. It smells better after a while but nothing special. It's not watery.
    Last edited by Renard; 12th February 2012 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renard View Post
    If Luca Turin didn't 5* this no one would have heard of it.
    I think you might be right about that.

I have a bottle and oddly I don't find it that odd...at all. I still like it though.

Definitely a polarizing fragrance. It's unique, I'll give it that. But I cannot imagine wanting to smell like...that.

Its very medical on me and very little vetiver I do get the sandalwood Turin goes on about.
    DONNA

It's ridiculous how often here people seem to take Guide's opinions as if they were completely made by Luca Turin. (again, for example, see posts #14, #15)

The (great) review in the Guide was made by Tania Sanchez. T-A-N-I-A S-A-N-C-H-E-Z.
    She gave those 5 stars, although I'm pretty sure Luca would have done exactly the same thing.

BoG is a great yin yang fragrance. In the words of Bob Ross: "happy little accident".
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 12th February 2012 at 10:00 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I wanted to like it, but it really got on my nerves after several wearings...and I am a big vetiver fan. I admire what they were trying to do with this, but for me it's unwearable.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Dependent

Curious about this one. Inhale has melon in its notes. Do you guys detect Calone in the BoG?

Smelled BoG, Dirty, and Tuca Tuca.

BoG smelled odd.
    Dirty smelled odd and minty.
    Tuca Tuca smelled like an old ladies house. I couldn't believe it. I mentioned it to the SAs and they both laughed and said that they get that a lot. How someone can great the old ladys house scent is genius! I just wouldn't wear it but still amazing. I wonder what the notes are (moth balls, mildew, urine, and baked cookies)?

Maybe I will try BoG again because of the recommendations.

It's very far from watery. It's a dense smokey fragrance, but rather "burnt" than just smokey as many other scents are. I am not in the hate camp, but surely in the "wouldn't wear it" one.

I'm not sure if I've tested this one or not, but as a whole, I have like Lush fragrances (men and women's). That said, I find their products to be a bit expensive, so I would definitely test before purchase

On the ole' "to test" list.

Definitely will test this one before going blind on it!

Blog Entries

Try before you buy. It's definitely a complex, well-made fragrance, but it reminds me too much of a barbecued chicken sandwich.

What? At least I'm being honest.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Going tomorrow to try this one out. Hopefully they carry it at my local Lush.

I like Breath of God. It is complex yet earthy and cleansing in some way. I like the feel of the fragrance more than the way it smells. Breath of God smells like all of the things you might find in a rural setting all blended together. It smells of dirt, clean air, rotting hay, fruit, flowers, and vetiver roots. It is a combination of two perfume oils that Lush sells called Inhale and Exhale. I have these too and I really enjoy Exhale which is very clean patchouli/musk, but Breath of God is a more complete fragrance than either of these. Its a 1 + 1 = 3 blending for BoG.

Blog Entries

reviving an old thread but.. is there a difference between the solid perfume and the spray? I mean it should be because the spray is 3x more expensive but what exactly is?
    www.smellandtell.wordpress.com <-- my rookie perfume review blog.
    Last review: Histoires de Parfums - 1740
    Say hey!

Dependent

What a weird coincidence. I bought the solid perfume last year and wore it once. I'm finally wearing it again today. It's very strange. I don't detect any difference in the formula between spray and solid and I assume the solid is cheaper because it's quite small. It has a hideous blue color to it! Very concentrated despite the stick's smallness.

This is one on which I go back and forth. This is due mostly to the fact that it never smells the same on me twice in a row. Sometimes it comes off brilliantly while other times there's just something that seems a little off. Definitely not a blind buy.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Regarding the difference between spray and perfume, as Monkeybars said, the formula seems to be the same. However, it behaves somewhat differently on my skin. The spray gives the full range of notes, the stick seems to stress the vetiver-fresh part in regular circumstances, and the smoky part when it's very warm, or I'm sweating.

As also pointed out, the stick is cheaper because it's much smaller. But I haven't finished it, so I don't know what the relation is between that and the perfume, if the perfume really contains 3 times as much frag than the solid. So in sum I'd say the solid is good and worth purchasing, especially if you just want to try. But check it under different conditions (cold/warm) to see if and how the profile changes.

cacio

I've been meaning to try this one out for so long. I love the name, mainly. Saying I'm wearing "Breath of God" just sounds cool. I'll have to see if I can't find a sample somewhere.

...And the Breath of God smells of sweet sedition
    The Great Deceiver--King Crimson

treeman5823

I own a bottle of this and, interestingly, don't get the biological rot that everyone seems to note. Instead, BoG--to me--is menthol melon + violet amber. Very good nonetheless.

Looking back on this post I can only say, "Dammit! Why didn't I take my own advice?!"

I ended up goind blind on it and HATED it. It smelled so much like an open can of Skoal Mint chewing tobacco ("dip" as it's called) I almost found it nauseating. It definitely did not work for me. My memory's a little vague at this point, but I seem to also remember a cigarette butt thing going on, some shoe polish, a fire, and something that reminded me of a garage.

It's a very weird fragrance. And for some reason I didn't get any of the things that made it sound so good in some of the reviews--or maybe I wasn't patient enough with it. Kinda wish I saved at least a sample of it before selling it, as I'd like to revisit it for curiosity's sake. Still, this was a complete bust.

I'm interested in the oil part called EXHALE, the dark-woody part (as they say it) of Breath of God. Could someone define to me? It is more a patchouly scent? a vetiver one? Thanks!

Exhale is an incense vetiver - not really patch but sort of temple incense and fresh-rooty vetiver. Very good on its own, but in a way more traditional. It has none of the compelling weirdness of BoG, the synthetic feel, the artificial candy flavor-incense smoke juxtaposition that make BoG unique.

Here in the US, Exhale is only available in oil form from the Lush website.

cacio

I absolutely loath it. I smell rotting veg like God forgot to clean his teeth from about three days ago and has been eating too many sweeties after a fag riddled night out. Sorry all fans.

Lush was the place my Daughter told me she always crossed the road when passing it after school.....
    Then I passed it & did the same

not many frags have made me gag. This is one. Secretions Magnifique is the other.

This is so strong and pungent. And of course the stuff didnt want to be scrubbed off easily. My skin was raw trying to get it off.

The tuttifrutti effluvia of Lush stores comes from their cacophonous soaps and bubblebombs. The frags, if one can manage to smell them in that olfactory pollution, are nice.

cacio

Banned

Lol, when i first smelled BOG,

I was sooo surprised something so weird exists, it gave me sensation of air coming from himalaya mountain to my nose:-) , this smelled so like forest cold air, then a bit of meditative quality , but so unusual, i was sniffing the bottle for days before i kind of get it....its blue green, grey combo of colours

Now i find it too masculine to wear and a bit too strong, it projects like mad!:-)

If i were a man i would wear it . I was very impressed 1 st time i tried it....just not so anymore, i loved Karma later more!!...i know all natural perfumes can not be so strong:-) but well done for lush this is unusual font style their perfumes write in! :-) they definitely are the only one there who make perfumes this way?

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    ...their cacophonous soaps
    lol... you write like Turin

The tuttifrutti effluvia of Lush stores comes from their cacophonous soaps and bubblebombs. The frags, if one can manage to smell them in that olfactory pollution, are nice.

cacio
    I agree. It's 10 times stronger than a Bath and Bodyworks. I tried testing some fragrances and they have the shot glasses with the paper in the bottom, but all it takes is being in that store for 5 or 10 minutes and your nose is done. I guess you could always go back and forth between Starbuck's and Lush.
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (Lemon)

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Dependent

Well after another full wearing, it simply doesn't smell like a personal fragrance to me. It smells like a high-end cleaner. I think it's all that menthol or wintergreen. Mixed with the smoky cade and incense, it just comes off like a smell from some big bottle under the sink.

Eventually got to sample it and didn't like it at all. If given to me for free, I would turn around and sell it.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

The tuttifrutti effluvia of Lush stores comes from their cacophonous soaps and bubblebombs.
    cacio

I'm emailing one of the Lush perfumers this quote who is partly responsible for that Tuttifruiti Effluvia... HAHAHAHAHA

Too Funny...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Did you mention it puts people off going in?
    Or were you suggesting it as a new scent range?

Have to throw in my 2 cents here, and say that I'm among those who love it.

It's just one of those very polarizing sorts of frags where everyone will have to decide for themselves, I think.

Inexpensive samples available from Lush, and on hand at all of their stores as I understand.