Code of Conduct

Default Santa Maria Novella Imperial Lavender

What lavenders are similar to Santa Maria Novella Imperial Lavender? Anything closest to it
    Currently wearing: Type by Monotheme

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Santa Maria Novella Imperial Lavender

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoglio italianO View Post
    What lavenders are similar to Santa Maria Novella Imperial Lavender? Anything closest to it
    I just got a sample of this today from the SMN boutique (Bal harbour) and I'm going to wear it tomorrow - I will post back at the end of the day. On a test strip it smelled very 'simple', which I am okay with.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

I look forward to your review, Mikeperez. Lavender fragrances interest me as well.

Basenotes Institution

I wore it this morning, I was careful not to douse myself with it and because of this (and the hot weather today) the scent faded rather quickly, so that I didn't have the opportunity to give it my full attention. Here's a few quick impressions:

It's not medicinal or bracing at all, however it does smell very natural. I had lavender growing in my front yard and when the smell is caught in a hot breeze the smell is unmistakable. This is the smell you get on your skin. There is no sweetness, nothing synthetic - a pleasant surprise. Will post more when I wear it again...
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks for your impressions, Mike - this one's been on my radar for a while. How would you compare it with Caldey Island Lavender? Is it worth having both in the same wardrobe?
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Basenotes Institution

I just saw your question now WillC.

I have to wear the SMN again (maybe I'll wear it tomorrow when I fly to NY - lavender scents are perfect for airplane travel) but from what I can remember it is NOT musky in the base notes at all. I usually am not sensitive to musks (some I can't smell at all) but the musk that Caldey Island uses in their lavender water is VERY strong to my nose. So I smell it immediately upon application and then it just gets stronger and stronger as it dries down. The SMN is much more herbal/fresh and I think honestly there are no base notes...it's just lavender. Thus, the short longevity I experienced.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Interesting. When you say short longevity, how long do you mean? Half an hour or so?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Basenotes Institution

After having acquired a bottle of this when a friend bought me a bottle of the tobacco scent from Santa Maria Novella that I didn't really care for, so I returned it and bought this one, I have been wearing Lavanda Imperiale on and off for a while now.

As many of you know, I am a big fan of straightforward lavender notes, unadorned, medicinal, sharp, bracing, realistic to natural lavender. It took me years of sampling so many that turned synthetic or plasticky, too after-shaveish, too fresh (soapy and detergent like). In addition, when a lot of Basenoters recommend lavender prominent scents they usually recommend fougeres. Which, to be honest, are not really my thing. I mean I own a handful of the classics - but fougere fragrances are not the type of scents that excite me.

Of course, Murphy's Law, the one lavender that I really really love is discontinued: Lavanda Tonica by Acqua di Parma.

So, the purchase of Lavanda Imperiale was one in hopes of replacing my love for the Acqua di Parma. Sort of a Plan-B type of lavender. And, for this, it performs nicely. I have to literally drench myself in this to get it to stick to me and last for a few hours. For a few minutes, in the top notes, it almost gets too medicinal and starch-like smelling...but this fades. There is NO sweetness to this lavender - none of that caramel-esque note that features prominently in so many lavender scents. Its very dry, bracing. I spray it on, many times, before or after a gym workout - purely for aromatherapeutic reasons.

I wish this were more affordable. I mean, at Whole Foods you can buy lavender oil diluted in alcohol or witch hazel for less than $20. And it performs about the same as this fragrance in terms of longevity, tenacity and radiance.

Still..this is a classy straightforward lavender fragrance and it goes on like one. Next time you're in a Santa Maria Novella boutique check it out if you like lavender.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Mike,
    Have you tried Demeter Lavender cologne? It's very simple and realistic-- really just like Lavender EO diluted with alcohol. It doesn't last very long, but that's par for the course for Demeter.

I'm referring to this one: http://demeterfragrance.com/lavender.html

Basenotes Institution

Yes 30 Roses. I have. I like it. But it's even more short in longevity. For that, I'd just buy an aromatherapy water/spray/splash.

But, yes, it's straightforward lavender. Unadorned.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I was in Florence two weeks ago and paid a visit to the beautiful Maria Novella perfumery.
    The Lavender is as simple as it gets and lasted on me for about 2 minutes.
    I was very impressed with the perfumery and the very, very friendly ladies who work there but the perfumes have been an enormous disappointment in terms of longevity.

Basenotes Institution

It just popped into my head that this SMN lavedner reminds me a lot of the one Villoresi did, Wild Lavender. Although the Villoresi was a bit more shrill and stiff...and very potent going on (but it still had natural low longevity).

-- Eckhart Tolle