Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford fragrances

I am looking into a lot of Tom Ford fragrances. I ordered some samples and I can't wait to get them so I can give them a try. Do you all have any thoughts on the Tom Ford fragrance house? Secondly, are the fragrances worth the money?

Default Re: Tom Ford fragrances

Let the samples do the talking, and try not to make a purchase based on hype. Remember that scent is a matter of taste which in turn influences your willingness to shell out money for that particular fragrance. I have sampled Tobacco Vanille, Noir de Noir, Amber Absolute, Tuscan Leather, Neroli Portofino, and Black Violet. They are all quality juice and you are bound to find at least one that you like from the Private Blend line. I was blown away by Tuscan Leather and Noir de Noir, which are full bottle worthy in my opinion.

I've only tried a few but grey vetiver was fantastic to my nose and well worth the price. Give that one a sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpharroh View Post
    Do you all have any thoughts on the Tom Ford fragrance house? Secondly, are the fragrances worth the money?
    Overrated and No. Just my opinion. Many others here will differ. I suggest trying them and making up your own mind.

To me, they are usually good. But the private collection, overall, seems to me a little too simple for the price. In the regular line, I like Grey vetiver. In the private line, favorites are oud wood, noir de noir, and the discontinued velvet gardenia.

cacio

Im also interested in what others think, I havent seen very much discussion on here about these.....

I'm a big fan of Tom Ford fragrances. The Signature Series fragrances (Tom Ford, Tom Ford Extreme, Grey Vetiver, Violet Blonde, Black Orchid, White Patchouli) are less expensive than the Private Blends, but they are every bit as good. In my opinion, they are definitely worth the money. (I especially like Violet Blonde and White Patchouli.) The best of the Private Blends (the more expensive series) are Noir de Noir, Amber Absolute, Purple Patchouli, Moss Breches, and Santal Blush. (That's one person's opinion of course; lots of people would disagree.) Tobacco Vanille is also very popular from the PB line; I like it, but not as much as the others.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Almost every Tom Ford fragrance I've tried has been nice. Amber Absolute, Noir de Noir and Tuscan Leather are probably my favorites of the ones I own.

Tom ford for Men has an old school vibe to it. It's longevity isn't too bad but projection gets close to the skin after 2 hours. It's not epic enough considering how good his Private Blend line is.

Grey Vetiver is very dry and citrusy. It has a very upscale smell to it. Great for suits.

Tobacco Vanille is very sweet and has incredible sillage and longevity. It has a great tobacco and vanilla smell. It's my fave Tom Ford.

Noir De Noir, Tuscan Leather, Italian Cypress, Lavender Palm, and Arabian Wood all smell good too.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

From his regular line I like Tom Ford Extreme. My gf wears Black Orchid which I enjoy on her. From his private line I like Tuscan Leather, Tobacco Vanille, and Champaca Absolute (you might find this last one to be very feminine). I think they are definitely worth the price, but you will find them quite linear (something I don't mind at all). Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather last more than 12 hours on my skin. I really love this house, the quality is fantastic IMO.

A perfume is worth the money if you like it enough- nobody can answer that for you!

I actually really like Tom Ford perfumes and would be so glad to smell Oud Wood, Tuscan Leather, Santal Blush, or Grey Vetiver on more people. But you have to see for yourself. It's great when you find a house that you really get on with. Good luck with the sampling, and report back.

Most Tom Ford fragrances are way too heavy and old school for me but i quite liked Neroli Portofino and Grey Vetiver. However there are lots of great Neroli fragrances out there for less and this one wasn't even special and smelled rather artificial to me.
    The private blends are also totally overpriced in my opinion, which however seems to be Tom Fords strategy for fragrance, makeup and fashion. Everything is overpriced so that people think there must be somehting special about it but really you just pay the name because it's not like other brands are necessarily cheap, but Tom Ford just wants to top them. Also he's a total douchebag.... but I guess that's not what this is about....

Never met a Tom Ford I didn't like, although some of them get hyped to high heavens.

I've been trying the Lavender Palm a lot lately. Have found myself working in places where I can get samples to test it. It's am absolutely beautiful, calming lavender. Also been trying the Oud Wood a lot and feel I am heading for a purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by sin_is_in View Post
    The private blends are also totally overpriced in my opinion, which however seems to be Tom Fords strategy for fragrance, makeup and fashion. Everything is overpriced so that people think there must be somehting special about it but really you just pay the name because it's not like other brands are necessarily cheap, but Tom Ford just wants to top them. Also he's a total douchebag.... but I guess that's not what this is about....
    Your opinion, of course. But how many high-end perfume companies DON'T do that? Chanel, Prada, VC&A, Armani, Dior, and countless others have "exclusive" or "private" collections that many would say are outrageously priced, so how is Tom Ford trying to "top" them?

And why the personal insult? Can you document this douchebaggery?

Banned

like any other House, there are hits and misses ... you will have to poke around until something strikes your fancy ...

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    the private collection, overall, seems to me a little too simple for the price.
    Yeah, I kind of agree with this. There's some fragrances in the line I quite like but I can't reconcile the linearity/simplicity with the extremely high pricing.
    At a lower price point there would definitely be a few in my collection.

Of course this just speaks to my preference for fragrances that develop/change during a wear.

Perhaps I'll buy into a few decants at some point instead.

Tuscan Leather
    Purple Patchouli
    Oud Wood

for swap/sale:

I'm not very fond of Tom Ford's fragrances but there are a few of them that really worth checking out. In the regular range I'd suggest Grey Vetiver, Black Orchid and Tom Ford Etreme. Also the latest Violet Blonde is not bad... In the Private Collection I particularly enjoyed Italian Cypress, Musk Pure and, up to a certain point Santal Blush and Urban Musk. The most popular deliveries such as Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather are way too overrated IMO and nowhere close justifying the outrageous price tag.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sound Scents

I have tried many from the line and it has been quite hit or miss for me. I think Tobacco Vanille is the standout, but I rate the line in general pretty low on the value meter personally. That said, value and taste are subjective, so your experience may vary.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Whilst I agree with others that Tom Ford is overpriced, that is what the split board is here for!

Although I must admit I did treat myself to a full bottle of Tobacco Vanille just because I had the funds available, hadn't done a split before and I love it too much!

Today is the first day I've worn it in a few weeks after trialling some samples and I've already been complimented twice this morning.