Code of Conduct

Question Bought a unopened vintage Shalimar and it is the Presentacion Avion... now what?

I finally bit the bullet and bid on some vintage Shalimar extrait on eBay. The package I bid on was unopened, with little information provided about it in the listing, but I took a chance on it and won the auction. It was listed by someone that must've been clearing out his mother's estate or something because he had sold few things on eBay and then all of a sudden had a bunch of old women's fragrances and cosmetics, all posted with starting bids at $0.99 no reserve.

Anyway, I received the package the other day, and to my surprise found that the vintage bottle I purchased was the Presentacion/Presentation Avion that I had seen referenced so often in articles about vintage Guerlain!

"A very rare presentation, called the Presentation Avion (airplane transportation presentation), used this style of box and was offered on the Air France Paris-New York flights, starting in 1960.

The box was slightly different in the fact that instead of laying down inside the box, the bottle would stand up snugly inside a small plinth, in which the box lid would slip over, making a cover. The stopper was not inside the bottle itself but was inside a tiny cardboard box which was included in the presentation box.

The perfume was sealed with a cork covered in a thin plastic seal. These bottles were made by both Baccarat & Pochet et du Courval. Look for their logos on the base, an entwined HP or the Baccarat symbol."

I can't tell you how shocked I was, though I was disappointed too, because I was eager to have some old extrait to wear, and I obviously can't open this one! Also, I am not sure I am into holding onto it, when I know there are collectors out there who would enjoy having it far more than me. I really just want some great old extrait to wear!

The problem is, I have no idea what it's value is, and how best to go about selling it. I am worried that an eBay auction may not reach the right audience. Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding out what the real value of this bottle is and/or where I could get it appraised or best list it?

Here are some photos... I haven't been able to find any other images of this packaging online, just the clamshell style.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bought a unopened vintage Shalimar and it is the Presentacion Avion... now what?

Despite your misgivings, I still advise listing it on eBay. There are bottle collectors who search eBay.

Start the auction at the least you would accept for it and no reserve. The market will determine the price. To be sure of more views, try listing it for 10 days (i.e. timing it over 2 weekends.)
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 14th February 2012 at 03:15 AM. Reason: typo

Default Re: Bought a unopened vintage Shalimar and it is the Presentacion Avion... now what?

Is it ok if I use the photos of this box in my guide to vintage Shalimar? Do you have a date anywhere on that box? And could you take a photo of the bottom of the bottle if you still have it??
    Thank you!!

Duplicate posting!

I'm finally going to be listing it on eBay this weekend. Thanks for your advice, wish me luck!

angelaira, please contact me via PM with the link to your guide and your email addy, and I can send you better pictures to use.