Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to build an orris accord...

Hi everyone!!!
    Since Irival ( Orris ROot Replacer) Is expensive and hard to find, is there any suggestion of how to make an "Orris Accord"? Thanks.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to build an orris accord...

Isoraldeine 70 would be a good place to start and is available from both Perfumerís Apprentice and Hekserij.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered it already from PA. Also a friend of mine gave me this, in order to build an "orris" accord:
    -Ionone Alpha -1
    -Dihydro ionone beta -2
    -Irone alpha @10% -2 ( hard to get and expensive, but we can experiment leaving it out)
    -Isoraldeine 95 - 5
    Hope it helps. I am wondering ( Since orris is used as base note) how we can create an "iris-orris" in top and heart notes of any composition.....any idea (I know carrot and celery)?
    Then you can see that I am obsessed with orris..
    Thanks always Chris !!!!!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if you want irris-orris as a middle to top note, what you are really looking for is violet - something I must say I really love - and then you are looking at a combination of the main ionones: alpha, beta, alpha-methyl and perhaps dihydro ionone beta. You might add isoraldeine 95 (more violet and less orris than the 70) and undecavertol too.
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Chris. Thank you.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yandynestor View Post
    Great Chris. Thank you.
    Youíre welcome. Another thought if you are trying to create a violet accord: youíll need cucumber aldehyde (trans-2-cis-6-nonadienal) in traces too. Donít use too much or it will go from violet to melon quite suddenly (and then to cucumber if you keep going).
    Chris Bartlett

Great Post Chris!!!!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize about cucumber aldehyde..interesting. What about Orriniff ( I can smell some cucumber there) and Violiff? Any suggestion of woods and musks to impart more coolness to my orris-iris-violet creation? I was thinking in Norlimbanol , but in small traces too, cause it can overpower any composition. Thanks always Chris!!!!!!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

The best I find to getting the ingredients right is a headspace analysis if you can find one: cucumber aldehyde is counterintuitive I agree, but is also in the scents of the hyacinth and narcissus flowers in tiny amounts and is an essential for a good violet IMO. I like to have some green-ness in it too - violet leaf absolute is the obvious choice, but also leaf alcohol (again part of the scent of the real flower).

Offiniff and Violiff are both pre-mixed accords by IFF so I canít say exactly whatís in them, but certainly Violiff is intended to be used as-is to create a violet note. I donít use either personally as I have an accord of my own devising that I prefer to use.

Now as to the woods and musks - I have used a tiny amount of norlimbanol, a whole collection of different musks and some Chinese Cedarwood. If you donít have the Chinese then Virginian works well too and is cheaper.
    Chris Bartlett

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Chris thank you always! What a expensive hobby! I feel will never finish buying something that is missing.
    Sometimes I tell my self: Do a minimalist-synthetic fragrance and that's it. But I dont want to give up, even if I spend a whole year collecting the right ingredients for my iris-orris perfume , and learning from my mistakes; and now (as you saw in my other post) I want to make a metallic accord. Maybe they will work very well together. I want to have access to Maurice Roucel " Black Book" and steal the secret of Lutens "Iris Silver Mist". I believe that perfume is the reason of my insomnia.
    Can I steal it......?