Code of Conduct

Default A Lab on Fire What We Do in Paris is Secret EDP

Ladies, I don't get over here to talk with you much, but I thought I really needed to share with you today.

I don't know if you've experinced the house of "A Lab on Fire" or not. All the scents have been rather lackluster, not even worth an honorable mention. WOW, was I shocked when I sampled What We Do in Paris is Secret EDP.

This new one from Dominique Ropion is pure femme fatale in a bottle. I wear many so called womens perfumes. This one is just so pure woman I can't wear in public, so I'll enjoy sometimes around the house just for fun.

A Lab on Fire What We Do in Paris is Secret is sexy,alluring,classy and quite addicting to my nose. If a woman walked by me wearing this, I would have the urge to get to know her better.

The price is right - $110.00 for 60ml
    The nose is right - Dominique Ropion
    The scent is right - gets thebeck's top rating

Default Re: A Lab on Fire What We Do in Paris is Secret EDP

I have the discontinued version, the regular what we do is secret.
    Its a very unisex leather fragrance. Kinda sweet, light but persistent.

In paris is something like that?

Ps: They will do 15ml bottles of this?

I haven't tried any of their scents before but you have me intrigued. The name of the scent alone though is enough to get me to sample it

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    I have the discontinued version, the regular what we do is secret.
    Its a very unisex leather fragrance. Kinda sweet, light but persistent.

In paris is something like that?

Ps: They will do 15ml bottles of this?

The two have nothing in common -
    original has notes of bergamot, nutmeg, pepper, leather, jasmin, sandalwood, patchouli and birchwood

new one has notes of Bergamot, honey, lychee, Turkish rose essence, tonka bean, vanilla, heliotrope, tolu, sandalwood, ambergris, musks

If i were you I'd wear it in public. It's not like a bra where it would be obvious you're wearing ladies' clothing.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Nice to know this one is significantly different from WWDIS. That one is interesting, but it didn't really wow me. I do love Rose Rebelle, but it's poorly available, if at all, appearing only infrequently on colette.fr, and it's a tough public wear (really skanky cocoa rose). This sounds like hot stuff.

Basenotes Institution

I just got a sample today so I'll test this soon. I do love Dominic Ropion's creations.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I just got a sample today so I'll test this soon. I do love Dominic Ropion's creations.
    Looking forward to your thoughts. I don't always agree with you, but I have alot of repect for your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    If i were you I'd wear it in public. It's not like a bra where it would be obvious you're wearing ladies' clothing.
    Maybe I'll get brave and try it in public one day. Hell, the public doesn't know shit about fragrances, let alone the gender of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Nice to know this one is significantly different from WWDIS. That one is interesting, but it didn't really wow me. I do love Rose Rebelle, but it's poorly available, if at all, appearing only infrequently on colette.fr, and it's a tough public wear (really skanky cocoa rose). This sounds like hot stuff.
    I find Rose Rebelle exactly like YSL Champagne Parfum. Have you noticed this similarities?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Looking forward to your thoughts. I don't always agree with you, but I have alot of repect for your nose.
    thebeck - we can agree to disagree sometimes ,which is all good !
    If you love this scent, you should wear it on public - I don't see why not.

Well I wrote a little sample review on the Fragrance Industry board. I can say straight off that this is a really sweet fragrance. Honey and lychee are mega busters especially in the opening .It's got a lot of tonka and vanilla and the usual amber and woodiness at the drydown .
    I hesitate to say this is unisex - just because it has so many feminine characteristics -though any man /woman can wear what he/she enjoys. It's simply incredibly sweet and gourmand to me though it does calm down as the scent dries down .
    It's a beautiful scent if you love gourmand and sweetness. There is nothing remotely naughty about this fragrance to me, no sexiness .However, it is a well done scent.
    I won't be buying a full bottle though.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 21st February 2012 at 03:41 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Apparently honey & lychee are what you 'do' secretly in Paris. LOL
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Mike- yes, what we do in Paris in secret - is apparently- gorge ourselves on pastry ,cake and ice cream ! *LOL* Darn it, the secret is out !

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    thebeck - we can agree to disagree sometimes ,which is all good !
    If you love this scent, you should wear it on public - I don't see why not.

Well I wrote a little sample review on the Fragrance Industry board. I can say straight off that this is a really sweet fragrance. Honey and lychee are mega busters especially in the opening .It's got a lot of tonka and vanilla and the usual amber and woodiness at the drydown .
    I hesitate to say this is unisex - just because it has so many feminine characteristics -though any man /woman can wear what he/she enjoys. It's simply incredibly sweet and gourmand to me though it does calm down as the scent dries down .
    It's a beautiful scent if you love gourmand and sweetness. There is nothing remotely naughty about this fragrance to me, no sexiness .However, it is a well done scent.
    I won't be buying a full bottle though.
    Your description is accurate. I just happen to love sweet gourmands on women, especially my wife.

Blog Entries

Just got a sample and, if my wife doesn't like it for herself, I will be buying myself a bottle.

Blog Entries

Oh. My. God.

I blind bought a bottle of this based on the rave reviews I've been reading, which is something I do not ordinarily do. Boy, am I happy that I did! I typically do not like gourmand, sweet perfumes, but this one is ultra sexy! I put it on about two hours ago, and the honied top notes are now giving way to rose. It's gorgeous. Ropion is a GENIUS!

According to fragrantica.com:
    Top notes: bergamot, honey, lychee,
    Mid notes: Turkish rose essence, vanilla, heliotrope
    Dry downs: tonka bean, tolu, sandal wood, ambergris
    Read my blog: MadPerfumista.com

One of the real tests of writers, especially poets, is how well they write about smells. If they can't describe the scent of sanctity in a church, can you trust them to describe the suburbs of the heart? -Diane Ackerman

I got my sample tonight and put it on right away. I'm getting a cloud of fluffy heliotrope infused with ethereal sweetness. Very appealing. I dabbed from the sample and it's staying pretty close to the skin. I wonder if it would project more if sprayed?

Hm...I'm suppose I'm going to have to try this one again later, because my first sampling made me think more of a home fragrance, or a generic bakery-type scented candle, than a perfume. I got a very mild, milky and sweet skin-scent with a touch of almond (must be the heliotrope) with the merest hint of honey and no rose (hmph!) ...it's pretty boring, actually. Not awful, just very non-innovative, and what I'm getting from it is something I'd much prefer to get from Hypnotic Poison. I always expect opulence from Ropion, so this was quite a let-down.

Mimi, your description sounds so incredibly scrumptious! Even though you make it sound almost too sweet, I'd be thrilled to get a whiff of all those decadent Parisian pastries! Nope, the best dessert comparison I can muster is blancmange. Disappointing.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Basenotes Institution

Evangeline- maybe it's skin chemistry. This stuff was overwhelming sweeeet on me but mellowed somewhat as it dried down . It's funny because I found it quite opulent but just too much of a good thing all in one bottle . It just had this pastry and pink sweet character right to the end, for me.
    You're right though, Hypnotic Poison is better as a scent but I see no relation to What We Do In Paris Is Secret on me. ( Such a long name........... )

Well, if you say you got Ropion-type opulence then I definitely need to retry it, especially if you didn't find it to be a pale relation to HP, because that's the very first thing I thought about it (after "Hm, Yankee candle.") ...makes me think my smeller was having an off day. Thanks Mims!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

A bump, and a link with the review I wish I could have written. Octavian Coifan can write.

I agree 100%.

http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...et-lab-on.html

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Generally, perfume on a man would be more publically obvious than a bra - but you could wear both at that same time and see what most people notice first.

Blog Entries

I just tried this stuff. DA-Y-UM! This is good stuff! Comparison scents would be Back to Black, Spicebomb, Antidote, and Bulgari Black.

Awesome stuff. It has a leathery/rubbery synthetic vibe that's thoroughly diffused in a sweet gourmand. Hints of tobacco and the gourmand aspects recall Spicebomb, but the rubber (more like new patent leather, in some ways) with the vanilla and tolu bring to mind Bulgari Black. And of course the honey and tobacco make me think of Back to Black, but it feels more feminine than that. Overall, a very boozy feel.

This is great stuff. And it totally lives up to the name. This scent and Wasser's Sweet Dreams 2003 are like night and day. A great pair of co-releases. Innocent hopes and decadent lusts. Wasser's is beautiful in its restraint and purity - this one is beautiful in its non-chalant appeal to multiple cravings. I like Sweet Dreams 2003, and I'm glad I got some, but it's just not "me" enough to be something I would want to wear frequently. This one is extremely gratifying in a totally different way; right now I'm craving "noir" - and this sucker satisfies.

The small bottles come wrapped in paper - Wasser's in his formula, Ropion's in one of two rather appropriate drawings.

Red gives this one 4/5, possibly 5/5 black cowboy hats! (And any ladies who are rolling their eyes right now - do check out Sweet Dreams 2003. That one is for y'all.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

Red gives this one 4/5, possibly 5/5 black cowboy hats! (And any ladies who are rolling their eyes right now - do check out Sweet Dreams 2003. That one is for y'all.)
    What We Do in Paris, Texas is Secret as well?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    What We Do in Paris, Texas is Secret as well?
    LMAO

Well, apparently, not any more!

Banned

I agree with thebeck, its so femme fatale to my nose as well, but

If i did not try Byredo Seven veils, i would be impressed here, this one goes i the same direction so its not very original, but nice

Its 101% feminine perfume to me:-) , as if it was made by Byredo, and a bit less edgy then that carrot smell like in Seven veils:-) , more like a mix of fruity Pulp and Seven veils

I agree smells gourmand