Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy My opinion on l'Air du Desert Marocain has changed

I have been raving about LDDM but my opinion has changed.
    I'm struggling to find an occasion to wear it.
    There's an extreme aspect about LDDM that I didn't experience in the sample.
    It's insanely loud to the people around you.
    The opening is so brash and agressive that it causes instant nose fatigue for me and I don't know how to avoid it.
    This might be a fragrance to enjoy when you're home alone. There were times that I felt a burning sensation in my nose because of the topnotes.
    I have contacted Tauer asking if it was reformulated but he guaranteed me it has not been reformulated.
    I lost the love I had for this fragrance mainly because of the brash opening, the agressive association and the almost zero versatility.
    I wonder if the love for it will ever come back.

Default Re: My opinion on l'Air du Desert Marocain has changed

I've had the same experience. I bought a sample and thought it was one of the most amazing fragrances I'd ever smelled. I'd often just smell the sample because I loved it so much; every time, I thought "wow!" Then I bought a larger decant and found the top notes just too harsh. I find that I don't wear it nearly as much as I thought I would.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

I like it exactly for the same reasons.

I thought it was interesting when I sampled it, but also thought it was basically unwearable. Not a fan of any of the Tauers I have tried, I don't like the ambery base he uses in everything....

Quote Originally Posted by L'Incandescent View Post
    I've had the same experience. I bought a sample and thought it was one of the most amazing fragrances I'd ever smelled. I'd often just smell the sample because I loved it so much; every time, I thought "wow!" Then I bought a larger decant and found the top notes just too harsh. I find that I don't wear it nearly as much as I thought I would.
    Can it be that the sample is from the old style of bottles and the larger decant from the new blue ones?
    I'm sensing a reformulation...

I love LDDM but I agree it's only for an occasional wear.

I mostly use it as a clubbing scent, where its projection and uniqueness are an attention getting asset

Quote Originally Posted by SmelltheGlove View Post

I mostly use it as a clubbing scent, where its projection and uniqueness are an attention getting asset
    I have also used it primarily as a clubbing scent, but I can't even pull it off for that anymore.
    Vintage Dior Homme Intense works better for me, plus I can smell it on myself for the whole night.
    I remember doing 2 sprays of LDDM on my chest and smelling nothing after some minutes.
    I entered a friend's house 1 hour later and he claimed his whole house was smelling like it.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 15th February 2012 at 05:29 PM.

I am absolutely a big FAN and will gladly take/swap any UNwanted LDDM.
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I thought it was interesting when I sampled it, but also thought it was basically unwearable.
    My view too. I wore it once and felt very self-conscious. Maybe I over-did it.

For that reason I hated it after loving it. Love it again now, but apply it very conservatively. It's a great perfume though and I'm thankful, in a way, for this kind of classicism being around among all the super-transparency and nothingness of so many modern scents. Still, it's perhaps the only 21st century release I'd like to see an EdC rendition of .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I find that it's an enigmatic fragrance, it's not an easy wear and does require the wearer to be in the right mood.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Love it again now, but apply it very conservatively.
    How do you apply LDDM?
    1 - 2 sprays to the chest/wrists/...?
    Walk through a spray...?

I wore my sample from Luckyscent just few times and while I didnt use much of juice, I dont consider it to be so powerful and longevity could be better.. Compared to Black Aoud, LADDM projection and longevity on my skin are just average. Still very nice juice. 1 of most wearable niche that I sampled so far.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Unwearable in real world situations.

"I think I want to smell like a moroccan desert at work today". Dont think so.

One of those scents that does well in a wine tasting type scenario when sampling frags for their art value...but not something I want to wear or find occasions to wear.

In my opinion some of you are limiting yourselves.

I love LAdDM. I regularly wear 15 sprays of it.

Its actually from the genre of perfumes that I particularly like to be intoxicated by.
    Olfactory fatigue lasts 10 minutes or so only anyways.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I love LAdDM. I regularly wear 15 sprays of it.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Unwearable in real world situations.

"I think I want to smell like a moroccan desert at work today". Dont think so.

One of those scents that does well in a wine tasting type scenario when sampling frags for their art value...but not something I want to wear or find occasions to wear.
    It smells nothing like a Moroccan desert, not any desert as a matter of fact.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post

for swap/sale:

It happens. I fall in and out of fragrances quite frequently. I quickly get sick of once loved scents if I overwear them.

Should be getting samples of the line, but Ive heard this is the best one of the line. TBH loosing the love for a scent does happen, happened to a few of my bottles, but once and a while when I do wear them I remember the good times.

Regardless of what one likes (I do love LADDM), I don't think to LADDM as the worst sillage offender - so I probably wouldn't be particularly disturbed by the Arabian spraying method in this particular instance. To remain in the line, I'd be a little more concerned about such method with Lonestar memories (which I like too).

cacio

Dependent

to round out the perspectives on this frag, i'll share my opinion that the sharp unique spicy top notes are what i like, then once the balsamic base begins to peak through, it's too sweet for me. and so on, and so on, and dooby dooby doo.

The first time I tried my sample I was blown away, then next time I decided I didn't really like it. Right now I'm feeling lukewarm on it. I think I got too much of an ambery feel to it, and I'm not too hot on amber right now.

The sample I got from luckyscent was nuclear strength. I got the sample while at work, and put one-drop on my shirt and everyone could smell it for 20 feet. It felt so uncomfortable and went home. But the worse part is that nobody liked the smell and the worst: it reminded me of walking into a regular'ol Indian spice shop that also sells cheap incense sticks. The hype is beyond me!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I find that it's an enigmatic fragrance, it's not an easy wear and does require the wearer to be in the right mood.
    I agree. I will plan on wearing it sometimes and then back out. It can give me a headache! My wife loves it on me and one of my assistants complimented me on it once. But for me it is a challenging scent. But I have to say I enjoy it more than Egoiste, which absolutely wore me out. Can't wear that stuff, even though I like the smell itself.

How do you apply LDDM?
    Walk through a spray...?
    1 spray to the chest is enough. I suppose a walk through might work, too. I find the longevity to be very good and sillage, at this dosage, civilized .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I find it a master piece but I agree that it is hard to wear

A very nice fragrance.

I have been raving about LDDM but my opinion has changed.
    I'm struggling to find an occasion to wear it.
    There's an extreme aspect about LDDM that I didn't experience in the sample.
    It's insanely loud to the people around you.
    The opening is so brash and agressive that it causes instant nose fatigue for me and I don't know how to avoid it.
    This might be a fragrance to enjoy when you're home alone. There were times that I felt a burning sensation in my nose because of the topnotes.
    I have contacted Tauer asking if it was reformulated but he guaranteed me it has not been reformulated.
    I lost the love I had for this fragrance mainly because of the brash opening, the agressive association and the almost zero versatility.
    I wonder if the love for it will ever come back.

Something similar happens to me... i can't smell it on myself but... no one seems to notice it when i wear it (and i usually go happy trigger). Everytime i wear it i feel more dissappointed as I feel i'm losing something as it's a very respected fragrance.
    I was thinking about buying a full bottle, but I finally made my mind up and i'll buy Amber Absolute instead.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. Its a good one.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

It smells nothing like a Moroccan desert, not any desert as a matter of fact.
    Wise words spoken by a true desert-dweller! After living all my life in California and New Mexico, I also can't imagine any desert smelling like it, and this is the main reason why it annoyed me so much. I didn't even finish my little LuckyScent sample.

Thinking aloud, I feel that a little bit of sweetness or some other note that takes removes the vast emptiness of the "desert" would make this much more amazing. Anyone know of a scent that shares a similar DNA as LADDM?

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Regardless of what one likes (I do love LADDM), I don't think to LADDM as the worst sillage offender - so I probably wouldn't be particularly disturbed by the Arabian spraying method in this particular instance.

cacio
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Wise words spoken by a true desert-dweller! After living all my life in California and New Mexico, I also can't imagine any desert smelling like it, and this is the main reason why it annoyed me so much. I didn't even finish my little LuckyScent sample.
    Sometimes lack of confidence pushes one to use fancy names, packaging or marketing.
    Sad but true.

for swap/sale:

It is an amazing fragrance and you can give me whatever you don't think you will be using.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Noir de Noir
    4. Tonka Imperiale
    5. Musc Ravageur
    6. Bois d'argent
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Tobacco Vanille
    10.Oud 1

I find it a total masterpiece, however it's a female opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    An opinion need not have genitalia .

for swap/sale:

I like L'Air but not enough to spring for a bottle of it.

The concept of falling in and out of love with a fragrance is not unknown to long-term fragrance lovers, I've done it myself many times - which is why I don't sell fragrances too hurriedly!

For the record, my favourite Tauer fragrance is Incense Rose.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I thought it was interesting when I sampled it, but also thought it was basically unwearable. Not a fan of any of the Tauers I have tried, I don't like the ambery base he uses in everything....
    I feel the same way. Something just doesn't click with me.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

How do you apply LDDM?
    Walk through a spray...?
    Have you tried one or two to the back of the neck + one on each forearm?

I've only got a sample so far but I'm finding it far less nuclear and in-my-face when worn this way.

Cool Re: My opinion on l'Air du Desert Marocain has changed

Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Maybe Tauer made a typo and really meant "dessert"

It's a great composition but so bizarre that I would advise that it only should be used when you're traveling back in time to meet with Salvador Dali (anyone see Midnight in Paris by Woody Allen?) or any other experience involving Surrealism.

Pleading insanity in a courtroom, or being Luca Turin getting married also come to mind.

Well, at least no one can say that the only fragrances popular these days are boring aquas or officewear

-That would be one weird underwater office--

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I wore 2 full sprays to the office today. Smells great! Office appropriate? It is when you're the boss!

I'm on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    1 spray to the chest is enough. I suppose a walk through might work, too. I find the longevity to be very good and sillage, at this dosage, civilized .
    Now, you didn't mention the word civilized in a LDDM topic, did you??
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Have you tried one or two to the back of the neck + one on each forearm?

I've only got a sample so far but I'm finding it far less nuclear and in-my-face when worn this way.
    I will try this, thank you for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I wore 2 full sprays to the office today. Smells great! Office appropriate? It is when you're the boss!
    There is no need to intimidate your employees like this!!!
    lol

There is no need to intimidate your employees like this!!!
    lol
    Too true!

I blind bought it based on the rave reviews and find it to be one of the most unique scents I've ever come across. I find it to be a combination of amber absolute and Creeds Santal imperial. Less is better with this one for sure..it's a powerhouse on my skin.

This one is my number two favorite scent. I always go with six shots each wearing three below the belt, two in the front*, one in the back. Same for above the belt. My all time favorite is Portrait of a Lady I could bathe in that stuff, if I could afford too. LOL. Strange Huh?

* Just don't hit the jewels or you'll be walking like John Wayne that day. Trust me on this.
    Last edited by Hey.its.me; 22nd February 2012 at 10:04 PM.

Amber, and I use the term loosely, is incredibly tenacious and also has a habit of blossoming long after application in my experience, so LADDM can grind on a bit if you are not careful. That said, I think this is a beautiful and evocative piece of work and I find t_g_l's suggestion of an EDC a really interesting thought.

I wore a sample once and felt very self-conscious. Far too strong for me and smelled too much towards the turpentine/cleaning fluid industrial spectrum to be wearable. It's an interesting smell - but as a perfume I'm not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by SmelltheGlove View Post

Same boat, although never tried for clubbing per se

Quote Originally Posted by Hey.its.me View Post
    * Just don't hit the jewels or you'll be walking like John Wayne that day. Trust me on this.
    I know what you mean - I've spent most of my life walking like John Wayne...

But seriously, LADDM is one of the oldest fragrances in my wardrobe and I still love it just as much as I did back in 2006. I'm just amazed at how expensive it is these days, per ml.
    Last edited by Trebor; 24th February 2012 at 01:33 PM.

How do you apply LDDM?
    Walk through a spray...?
    2 neck sprays (dunno about new bottle sprayer but the old is very economical! i've never seen sprayer that spritz so little!)
    but the warmer months are the bigger my love to LDDM is!
    its perfect just around 15-20 degrees, i hate wearing it in winter !
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

I love LDDM but I find it very important to use it sparingly. For me this fragrance defines "less is better". I got much more enjoyment from it when I learned to not spray it close to my head or neck.

Actually, I'm in love again with LDDM!

This is simply a "1 shot to the chest" fragrance, no more!
    Done that way, I get no nose fatigue. And beautiful whafts for several hours.

This perfume attaches itself tenaciously to clothes. I smeared some from a sample onto my chest and forearms yesterday. When I took my shirt off last night I tossed it on a chair. Today I walked into the bedroom and I could smell it across the room. Yes it's no kind of desert smell. Yes it smells like an incense shop, and I've burned so much incense before I've sworn it off because it made me sick. I swear it got stronger as the day went on yesterday, and it is crushingly bone dry. I think this is where it's wearability problem comes from, in that it's almost suffocating in it's dryness. But it is wonderful, just wonderful.

I like this a lot. Although, I rarely spray a lot of any fragrance at a time. I usually do 1 spray of this to the upper chest...if it's extremely cold out, I'll do one there and one to the back of the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    I agree with you Alicka......

Haha! Seriously though, 15 sprays?

Yes!! The sample I got from lucky scent had me in love with this thing, had a sweet beautiful smell and projection to it that recieved many compliments, but the larger decant I got the sweetness is gone and pretty much as you guys describe it :/

Why So Serious?

I don't get the potency others have mentioned. But it's a fabulous scent, I actually prefer the top notes of this stuff.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud