Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: My opinion on l'Air du Desert Marocain has changed

2 days now, shirt on chair. I smelled it across the room as soon as I opened the door. That's longevity and projection wow.

When I bought the bottle I had also the impression that it was harsher, more tarry than the original sample I had ordered at Tauer's. At the same time I think the harshness depends strongly on weather conditions and that it comes out more at cooler temperatures (!). But I may be mistaken. When I wear it, after a couple of hours it gets as smooth as the stuff from the sample. In the first hours I get some Lonestar Memories from ist (tar).
    I don't wear it very often but I do wear it - even to work. 2 sprays.

I just received my bottle today and I tell you 100% that is much weaker than a year ago, before two sprays had enough and I was burning the nose horn and 6-7 is OK now. I believe that with so many complaints that it is too hard it has changed for the better and now is more loose and enjoy more.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It smells nothing like a Moroccan desert, not any desert as a matter of fact.
    I disagree...mildly. Visit Death Valley (California USA) during the spring rains, and you will smell something quite reminiscent of that phenolic tar/creosote topnote. Not the patchouli or vanilla, though.

I still love Marocain. Just started on my 2nd bottle. The new blue bottle smells the same to me as the old clear one.

That said, I also would love to see an EdC formulation, with a bit less vanilla.

HEAR ME, TAUER: WE NEED A FLANKER ALREADY! L'Air du Vallée de la Mort EdC!

The weaker, the better, with this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    The weaker, the better, with this one...
    Amen! Jeez.. I swabbed a sample vial dabber wand a mere 2 times on my shirt collar with this stuff and after 2 rounds of laundry the smell was still there. This stuff should come with a hazmat suit.

I've been trying for 3 years to like this scent but each wearing only gets worse for me, my most recent wearing of it even netted me a rare and dreaded criticism. I still refuse to give up but this is the one fragrance where I'm simply not on board with the general adoration.

Blog Entries

L'air opens with generous top notes, and that seems to be the theme, until it changes into softer notes and hangs on ... Repeat spraying seems to build up a nice lingering powdery almost chocolaty scent.

Generally speaking, it may be more suited for the girls, and the guys could use Orange Star or Lone Star Memories instead.

My opinion of L'air has not changed, but it is not a scent that one wears every day, too much of same goodness, I need variety.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Brilliant scent but as others have noted, rather difficult to wear. I find even one spray on chest under clothing to be too loud for most situations.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I love this stuff and so does my girl. This has amazing longevity on my skin and I find less Is better.

I like it as well and while it is very strong, it works perfectly as a walk through if one wishes to wear it in a real world situation.

Beasutiful scent.
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir

I still love it, especially for the first hour or so. The drydown bores me with the vanilla/patchouli accord. It works just fine; I just with the phenolic aspect lasted longer.

Come on, Tauer, EdC FLANKER TIME!

Banned
    Blog Entries

desert marocain is a masterpeice; it's purpose is for art more than utility.
    not for the average customer, but a special treat for a man who wants a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I agree. I will plan on wearing it sometimes and then back out. It can give me a headache! My wife loves it on me and one of my assistants complimented me on it once. But for me it is a challenging scent. But I have to say I enjoy it more than Egoiste, which absolutely wore me out. Can't wear that stuff, even though I like the smell itself.
    Now almost a year later and my opinion has not changed. This is a scent that is mood dependent for me. I have considered it as my SOTD probably 3 or 4 times over the past month, but I always put it back, fearing it will grate on my senses. My wife really digs it, so I need to wear it more often. I told her I have thought about selling it and she begs me not to! I wear it MAYBE 5 times over the course of a year. But for her sake, I will keep it, just like I keep Rive Gauche.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Actually, I'm in love again with LDDM!

This is simply a "1 shot to the chest" fragrance, no more!
    Done that way, I get no nose fatigue. And beautiful whafts for several hours.
    That's how i wear it. Maybe 2 shots. Under clothes keep it under control.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

I found this to be very un-wearable scent. I wore it to dinner once and had the most unpleasant experience eating food. The mix between the smell of LDDM and the food was horrible. After that I just felt it to be too strong and powerful. I have also been to Morocco and this smells nothing related to it.

Is it stronger than Black Aoud? If it is and hasn't been reformulated then I guess I joins my to-buy list.

No, it isn't . On my skin it doesn't project too much.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sample vial I have is quite average in longetivity and projection, it's curious that it seems so strong from the bottle.

Total noob here but it smells like expensive Old Spice to me. It does have something that I can only describe as "cool" and "neon blue" in the dry down that I love though.

Quote Originally Posted by LiteEmUpGood View Post
    I found this to be very un-wearable scent. I wore it to dinner once and had the most unpleasant experience eating food. The mix between the smell of LDDM and the food was horrible. After that I just felt it to be too strong and powerful. I have also been to Morocco and this smells nothing related to it.
    Yep - it gets right in the way of nearly everything including eating food. It's massively cloying and almost totally unwearable.

I enjoy it, have a vintage rectangular bottle and find it's projection not too strong.

But it does list oakmoss as one of the ingredients, so if you like it you might want to pick some up before the EU lowers the boom.

I still have a 95% full bottle (the big bottle) of the original. Hadn't worn it in a long while.

Decent fragrance

Banned
    Blog Entries

Marocain is the perfect kind of gourmand fragrance.

One that uses a little bit of vanilla to supplement what it doesn't have.

But never uses a ton of vanilla as a crutch to carry a bad fragrance.

I went through this phase for a little while. I actually almost sold my bottle. I decided against it, and I wore it out to dinner tonight, and I loved it. Great scent.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I went through this phase for a little while. I actually almost sold my bottle. I decided against it, and I wore it out to dinner tonight, and I loved it. Great scent.
    Hey! I'm wearing it today too. I almost bumped up a really old thread about wearing LDDM in the heat. OK, I don't know how much 70 degrees counts as heat, but still... I spent the afternoon outdoors in the sun with a friend. I wouldn't usually wear LDDM on a day like today, but something about it just seemed right. LDDM feels like a winter scent, and it sure is superb in the winter. But it has a dryness about it that does well on a warm day.

I LOVE the opening. I feel like that's a scent for me to enjoy.
    I get compliments on the heart and base.

And that's what makes for a truly great scent, in my opinion. There's something for me, and something for a date. LDDM is very much like two fragrances in one.

LDDM is easily in my top 10 of all time. Probably top 5.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

The versatility is what puts me off,
    Love it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    1st real laugh of the day.

I need to get a sample of this.

Im a 8 spray black orchid wearer.

I disliked it at first, then loved the dry down but now dislike it again. I'd struggle to think of an occasion to wear it.

Had a full bottle but sold it as I was struggling to find an occasion to wear it just like you

I love this stuff and get compliments when wearing it...

Love it. Wear it all year round, any occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    ..."I think I want to smell like a moroccan desert at work today". Dont think so...
    It smells nothing like a Moroccan desert, not any desert as a matter of fact... Sometimes lack of confidence pushes one to use fancy names, packaging or marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Wise words spoken by a true desert-dweller! After living all my life in California and New Mexico, I also can't imagine any desert smelling like it, and this is the main reason why it annoyed me so much. I didn't even finish my little LuckyScent sample.
    Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    I disagree...mildly. Visit Death Valley (California USA) during the spring rains, and you will smell something quite reminiscent of that phenolic tar/creosote topnote. Not the patchouli or vanilla, though....
    Quote Originally Posted by LiteEmUpGood View Post
    ...I have also been to Morocco and this smells nothing related to it.
    AFAIK and IIRC I remember reading something about the naming of this fragrance. I don't remember if this or the female version was created first but I do remember reading something (possibly on the Tauer blog?) about the name being inspired by one of Tauer's friend's shops that was called something along the lines of Desert Marocain. The fragrance too was inspired by this shop's smell (it sold incense etc.).

Therefore I think many people have been misled by the name. It hasn't anything to do with an actual Moroccan desert and was never meant to. I mean come on deserts don't smell of much. I also love how people describe being transported to a Moroccan desert by this fragrance. Always good for a laugh.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    AFAIK and IIRC I remember reading something about the naming of this fragrance. I don't remember if this or the female version was created first but...
    There is no male or female version of it. L'Air du Desert Marocain is unisex. There's just one version.

My experience of it has changed quite a lot: but I still love it. The first few shots out of the tester it seemed like freshly creosoted log on a bonfire (and I could barely tolerate it). This morphed suddenly and I became anosmic to the smoke/creosote completely. These days I still love it but seem to find myself focussed on the Pettigrain which is the thing that now seems huge to me. I love it; love that it's strong; love that it's a real fragrance and doesn't seem like something that's been scraped together at the lowest possible price for the formula.

One of the things I find most interesting about this scent seems to be also reflected in some of the posts here -- that I'm simply not sure whether I like it or not. It wears really nice, and lasts well (although I don't get the wild projection that others seem to), yet there's a series of ingredients in it that just rub me the wrong way -- but that's what gives it its interest. In that sense, it's a very clever composition as there's some crazy juxtaposition in the notes that somehow works. Conflicted.

Lonestar Memories, however, is a different story; I can't stand that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    There is no male or female version of it. L'Air du Desert Marocain is unisex. There's just one version.
    I know L'Air du Desert Marocain is unisex. But this isn't:

https://www.tauerperfumes.com/le-maroc-pour-elle.html

When you said "I don't remember if this or the female version was created first" it looked like you meant a female version of L'Air du Desert Marocain.

I guess I will have to re sample. First application didn't yield any love. Considering some of the comments, I might want to lock myself in the bathroom next time I test it.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I will have to re sample. First application didn't yield any love. Considering some of the comments, I might want to lock myself in the bathroom next time I test it.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    I wore my sample from Luckyscent just few times and while I didnt use much of juice, I dont consider it to be so powerful and longevity could be better..
    I had the same experience also from LuckyScent. However I purchased my sample a year before I actually bought the bottle. I feel the bottle I received was not the same quality as the sample I purchased. Longevity with the sample seemed to be a lot better.

Tauer is way overhyped it's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    Do you mean, you got negative comments while wearing it? Interesting. I haven't experienced that at all - buuuuut - I've almost always worn a scent for an hour or two before seeing anyone. The opening of LDDM is very dusty and dry. And SPICY! I love the opening, but it's the heart and base that have gotten me compliments. I bought my bottle at the beginning of this past winter.

treeman5823

When you said "I don't remember if this or the female version was created first" it looked like you meant a female version of L'Air du Desert Marocain.
    L'Air du Desert Marocain is supposedly the 'masculine' counterpart of Le Maroc Pour Elle.

I have a bottle... have tried to like it... but, just too musty for me.

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    I have a bottle... have tried to like it... but, just too musty for me.
    Alright, im going to do you a favour. Send your bottle to me and I will recycle it for you so that pesky Lddm isnt taking up valuable shelf space
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

The kindness of Basenoters has no bounds! ;-)

Sound Scents

Like all the other Tauer compositions I have tried to date this one was not up my alley. It probably is my "favorite" of those I have tried, but that is not saying much. I am hoping to have better luck with Tauer's latest release, Noontide Petals.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    L'Air du Desert Marocain is supposedly the 'masculine' counterpart of Le Maroc Pour Elle.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Is it stronger than Black Aoud? If it is and hasn't been reformulated then I guess I joins my to-buy list.
    Not as strong as Black Aoud.
    The only thing stronger than Black Aoud is AndyTauer's Lonestar Memories.
    I could smell it for 2 days from a shirt situated in the next room

Quote Originally Posted by nashulian View Post
    Not as strong as Black Aoud.
    The only thing stronger than Black Aoud is AndyTauer's Lonestar Memories.
    I didn't realize Lonestar Memories was that strong. I've only smelled it a few times. I LOVE IT, but I can't imagine wearing it. It's just... so... wild. I may have to order the Tauer Discovery Set when fall comes around so I can give a few of his other scents a proper wearing.

I don't find L'air to be insanely strong, though I do only wear two sprays. It has outstanding longevity for me, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people fool themselves into thinking it faded away as it makes the transition from top to base. The amber base is sweet but quiet in comparison to the dusty/spicy opening, which lasts for a few hours. I get around 12 to 18 hours from LDDM. It's one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by nashulian View Post
    AndyTauer's Lonestar Memories.
    Totally opposite from my experience a few months ago. In and out in roughly 2 hours. If not I would have purchased it.

Other reviewers have had similar experiences. I guess YMMV.

I just tried my sample over the weekend and found it to be somewhat unpleasant. Been disappointed in the two Tauer's I've tried (this & Incense Extreme). DOn't think I'll be trying any more of the Tauer stuff.

I didn't realize Lonestar Memories was that strong. I've only smelled it a few times. I LOVE IT, but I can't imagine wearing it. It's just... so... wild.
    It's was very strong and loud on me when I tried it. Sadly, it also lasted a long time -- which was unfortunate as I think it smells like detergent.

He did changed the formula on his new batch. If you really care - go and ask Andy on his blog, he answers every question, every day. Ask him about Desert Marocain.

In my opinion some of you are limiting yourselves.

I love LAdDM. I regularly wear 15 sprays of it.

Its actually from the genre of perfumes that I particularly like to be intoxicated by.
    Olfactory fatigue lasts 10 minutes or so only anyways.
    15 sprays REALLY?

Lone Star was reformulated also.

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    He did changed the formula on his new batch. If you really care - go and ask Andy on his blog, he answers every question, every day. Ask him about Desert Marocain.
    Could you post a link to the blog post you're referring to? I can't seem to find it. Andy has adamantly denied reformulation of his perfumes time and time again. This is what I've found in his blog..

"I do not reformulate. There is one exception: Le Maroc pour elle ,where I had to change some things due to legislation. Especially the air du désert marocain is 100% identical to the original formula. Any difference is in the nose of the observer or due to maturation, storage or slight variations in raw material qualities. As long as possible I will not touch the formula of air du désert marocain."

I've sampled it a few times. WOW at first sniff. LOVE it, and will be buying a bottle soon.
    A lot of people claim that it's hard to wear, but I don't find it unwearable at all.
    Guess it's a plus for me!

Lonestar was my first tauer purchase. I chose lonestar over lddm. When your reading the over the top press release, you later wonder what the writer was getting at because the scent doesn't make you think of the story they described. Lonestar, at least for me, smelled like the picture andy was describing.

The Scoop
    New from Andy Tauer! 'It’s the scent of a lonesome rider, wearing old jeans and leather jacket, after a long day on the horse in the dry woods, preparing his coffee on the open, smoky fire. I want it to be fresh and light, yet lasting and powerful.... When I created this fragrance, I wanted it to be true and unique. I wanted it to be rich and lasting. I had a vision that was guiding me, a picture of a wide land in my mind that I tried to bring to live. It is my pleasure to share this picture with you.' -Andy Tauer

LADDM is beastly fragrance, make no mistake about it.

I wore it out once last fall courtesy of Min New york sample and, like someone else in this thread said, was feeling quite self-conscious about it. It is not only a projection bomb, it has some features in the scent itself that may come across as quite a bit old-fashioned. The amber in this fragrance is very traditional. So something to keep in mind here.

With that said, I do enjoy the scent to myself. To me it is a scent of melancholy.

A Masterpiece. I too wear it under my clothes for work. A real pleasurable scent to own as it is my only Tauer scent.