Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Aventus - What am i looking for?

I just received a sample of Aventus after reading all the hype and well, I smell a hint of goodness but it seems i get a big whiff of alcohol/synthetic smell before reaching "aventus". I've let it sit on my skin for about 45min.

Default Re: Aventus - What am i looking for?

Give it more time.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yea its a beautiful fragrance ... Masterpiece in my eyes...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still not too sure where the hype is. Now afraid i've gotten a fake Aventus sample, never smelled Aventus before so I can't really make a call.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a citrus and leather/slightly smokey fragrance. For the first 30 minutes it's supposed to smell like pineapple and after that the leather starts to dirty it up along with the patchouli.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Zino Davidoff, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Royal Oud, M7 (all versions), Chanel Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and Thierry Mugler Pure Malt.

Quote Originally Posted by Classé View Post
    I'm still not too sure where the hype is. Now afraid i've gotten a fake Aventus sample, never smelled Aventus before so I can't really make a call.
    Maybe it's just not a scent that does it for you. Or maybe the hype has tricked you into thinking you're going to smell something outrageous. Really, to me, Aventus is just pineapple with smoke (of course, the smoke is deceptively complex). I love it, but that doesn't mean everyone will.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    It's a citrus and leather/slightly smokey fragrance. For the first 30 minutes it's supposed to smell like pineapple and after that the leather starts to dirty it up along with the patchouli.
    On my skin, I don't get any citrus (unless pineapple counts as citrus). The pineapple lasts many hours. I'd say that after 6 hours, I don't smell as much pineapple anymore, but if my body heats up at all, boom, the pineapple is back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Maybe it's just not a scent that does it for you. Or maybe the hype has tricked you into thinking you're going to smell something outrageous.
    I think that is what I honestly expected, something out of this world. I apparently got the extra smelly pineapple batch aswell, but I don't smell the pineapples. At one point I though I did but it was just Pure Malt, which by the way smells great

When I started getting into fragrances in a big way, one of the first things I did was seek out Aventus. When I finally smelled it, I didn't get it either. I was doing something stupid: trying to smell the hype. I had ridiculous expectations that, of course, could never be met.

Months later, I sampled it again, but this time, I did it the right way. I just sprayed it on my arm and smelled it for the sake of smelling something new. I didn't care about the hype. This time, I smelled a rich but not sharp pineapple top with an elegantly smokey base. It was the same scent, but I enjoyed it more because I was smelling it for myself rather than trying to analyze other people's opinions. Over a three day period, I went from like to love to must own.

Aventus isn't my favorite fragrance, but it's definitely in my top 5 (along with Gucci Pour Homme I and II, Fahrenheit and Eau des Baux... and Bvlgari Black. OK, that's 6).

If you get the chance, take a sniff of Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9. It doesn't smell like Aventus, and yet, it kind of does. Or maybe I should say they're different but have a similar vibe. Most people seem to get excellent longevity from Bleecker Street, but sadly, I didn't. If I did, it would be a must buy for me. I actually got a compliment on the street from a total stranger the day I tried it. I've NEVER had anything like that happen before! Eventually, I'll give Bleecker Street another try.

I'm not badmouthing other people's opinions. I love reading reviews, and hype can call attention to something I'd have otherwise missed... but in the end, the only opinion that matters is your own since you're spending your own money, right? Oh, and just in case you're lucky enough to be able to spend other people's money... dude... hook me up with a bottle of Bleecker St!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    When I started getting into fragrances in a big way, one of the first things I did was seek out Aventus. When I finally smelled it, I didn't get it either. I was doing something stupid: trying to smell the hype. I had ridiculous expectations that, of course, could never be met.

Months later, I sampled it again, but this time, I did it the right way. I just sprayed it on my arm and smelled it for the sake of smelling something new. I didn't care about the hype. This time, I smelled a rich but not sharp pineapple top with an elegantly smokey base. It was the same scent, but I enjoyed it more because I was smelling it for myself rather than trying to analyze other people's opinions. Over a three day period, I went from like to love to must own.

Aventus isn't my favorite fragrance, but it's definitely in my top 5 (along with Gucci Pour Homme I and II, Fahrenheit and Eau des Baux... and Bvlgari Black. OK, that's 6).

If you get the chance, take a sniff of Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9. It doesn't smell like Aventus, and yet, it kind of does. Or maybe I should say they're different but have a similar vibe. Most people seem to get excellent longevity from Bleecker Street, but sadly, I didn't. If I did, it would be a must buy for me. I actually got a compliment on the street from a total stranger the day I tried it. I've NEVER had anything like that happen before! Eventually, I'll give Bleecker Street another try.

I'm not badmouthing other people's opinions. I love reading reviews, and hype can call attention to something I'd have otherwise missed... but in the end, the only opinion that matters is your own since you're spending your own money, right? Oh, and just in case you're lucky enough to be able to spend other people's money... dude... hook me up with a bottle of Bleecker St!
    Great advice! And yes I've been looking at Bond No 9 aswell, just need to get some samples. Unfortunately it's my own dinero I will be spending!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Put it aside for a while, then re-test it.

&

A smokey watery pineapple fragrance with the scent of apples and jasmine hanging in the background. Try it a few times before coming to a hasty judgement as you may "get it".

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Try it again another day. I think it's overhyped, but it's certainly a great fragrance. Not much to dislike about it. My sample smells like smokey pineapple. I don't find it to smell synthetic at all.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought there was a hype around it. I was mistaken. No hype, but an excellent fragrance.