Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default How do you open a bottle of cologne?

My bottle of Nautica Oceans atomizer get screwed up in my gym bag because it's cap fell off and ripped off the top of the atomizer. Now I want to open it up so I can dump the rest of the EDT into a new bottle with a working atomizer.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: How do you open a bottle of cologne?

I remember seeing either a post here or on other forums about this, but I don't remember the link. Anyway, it involved some heavy duty metalwork (fix the bottle carefully to a work surface, then cut the metal off the top with a pair of sharp metal shears). The point is, caps are not screw-on, they are fixed. But you need to be inclined to such diy work, ior have a friend with the necessary skills and hardware.

cacio

Given that youíve already accepted that the existing bottle is going in the bin I donít think itís quite so difficult: Iíve done this successfully simply using a pair of pliers and a firm grip / twist. It takes a couple of goes normally and the sprayer will be destroyed in the process but itís perfectly doable.

Of course the right answer is to buy fragrances from houses like Hermes or Pell Wall Perfumes who use screw-on sprayers - then itís dead easy
    ďA person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Anybody try opening a bottle of something (I want to attempt Acqua Di Gio) and was able to put it back together without it looking like a mangled piece of garbage?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Given that youíve already accepted that the existing bottle is going in the bin I donít think itís quite so difficult: Iíve done this successfully simply using a pair of pliers and a firm grip / twist. It takes a couple of goes normally and the sprayer will be destroyed in the process but itís perfectly doable.

Of course the right answer is to buy fragrances from houses like Hermes or Pell Wall Perfumes who use screw-on sprayers - then itís dead easy
    I had a Hermes perfume with the permnent clamp-on, so it sounds like people will have to buy your products.

I had a bottle of Realm for Women* that had the permanent clamp on, and eventually it came off on its own. But I'm sure pliers would do the trick.

*Love this scent, with its children's-aspirin-and-cough-drops top notes. Love even more that it was such a market failure that you can get 3.4oz for around $20 at places like Marshall's.

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonster View Post
    Anybody try opening a bottle of something (I want to attempt Acqua Di Gio) and was able to put it back together without it looking like a mangled piece of garbage?
    Palmbeach might know.

Once a crimp topped style perfume bottle is decapped, it's over.

The only way you can remove without decapping is by syringe, and even that is tricky.

So Decap and Decant into a screw top bottle.

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon