Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

Default New York Oud by Bond No. 9

Does anyone know the note breakdown of new York Oud by Bond No. 9? I can smell rose, musk and other scent. I'm guessing it's oud, although I'm not familiar with the smell. I got a sample of it recently, and I'm testing it out . Any information would be appreciated.

Default Re: New York Oud by Bond No. 9

I own a big bottle of NY Oud... I get mostly rose and oud....
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

So is Oud the soapy musky scent I'm getting? What does Oud actually smell like anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingpharroh View Post
    So is Oud the soapy musky scent I'm getting? What does Oud actually smell like anyway?
    Oud has a very unique scent... Depending on the type of oud will determine the scent... I believe the oud that is in NY Oud is what is call Borneo Oud... Very green, woody, clean and uplifting... Smells like you're walking through the Borneo forest... But in NY Oud... You have the rose which is the dominent note.... Unless you smelled pure Borneo oud, then you won't be able to filter out the oud, because it's blended nicely with the rose...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

The crystal Oud is 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000.8 times better

I don't mean any disrespect to the fans, but I don't smell any oud in NY Oud whatsoever. Granted, there's the usual synthetic "oud" (smells like the same Givuadan's "oud" that's used in almost all "ouds" these days) with some rose and synthetic musk (the latter two are what gives NY Oud that soapy brightness) but that has nothing to do with actual fragrant substance called oud. The rose too, is unlike any natural rose that I've smelled, harsh, aggressive and almost whorish in its lack of poise and refinement.

True story - I came by my local store that sells Bonds the other day and when I tried the NY Oud on my skin, I told the store clerk that there's not a drop of any kind of oud in this fragrance and he was extremely skeptical about my opinion although he was cool about it, but one could tell of course. I didn't want to argue so I just offered him a swipe of a pure oud oil I had on me - Oriscent's Royal Kinam and his reaction was an instant and visible shock -- he didn't expect such complexity, depth and beauty and his tone changed right away. He said that he actually hated NY Oud but the tiny swipe of Royal Kinam was a huge eye-opener that took him completely by surprise. We chatted for a bit and he just couldn't stop sniffing his hand, then he grabbed a crapload of Bond samples and gave them to me (completely unsolicited). He kept saying how grateful he was and he felt he couldn't do enough to thank me.

Interestingly enough, I've had very similar experiences a couple times already when I was trying the various "oud" fragrances like Creed's Royal Oud and By Killian's. First you get the sales clerk rhyme off whatever ridiculous marketing dribble their respective company indoctrinates them with, then when they hear that their "rare and precious oud fragrances" have nothing to do with oud they either argue or politely dismiss you, then when they try the real thing they get an absolutely priceless look on their faces and start offering their collegues to sniff as they can't believe how divine the real (and good quality) stuff smells.

No doubt, each fragrance will have its fans and give them enjoyment but it's a damn shame that all these ridicoulously overpriced synthetic concoctions that all fragrance houses are flooding the market with these days allow them to capitalize on the idea of elusive and precious fragrant material without any scrutiny from the consumers. People are duped to believe that the perfumes they are buying are the epitome of rare quality, ultimate luxury and decadent opulence when in reality it couldn't be further from the truth.

I think that the best example of OUD that Bond has is the Harrods Swarovski Limited Edition. I understand that you can purchase it in a "non-crystalized" bottle called Harrods Oud. It is FANTASTIC. In my opinion, the other outstanding oud fragrance that's out there is Tom Ford Oud Wood. Oud smells very unique, kind of like a woody sort of marijuana. I went to an essential oils store to sample it, so my nose would be able to identify it.

Now that my chemical sensitivities seem to be completely gone, I ordered another sample of NY Oud and am really loving it. There's actually a huge dose of oud in this - probably synthetic, I admit. It's the same oud note that is in Al Oudh, which smells more of the wood chips than oud oil. I really love the plum in the opening, and the booziness too (I'm pretty sure part of the plum accord is the natural note of davana, as I can smell that quite clearly in the opening - it smells plummy/grapey and wine-like).

The soapiness some are picking up on is primarily thanks to the orris, I believe. I like the way it adds smoothness and a touch of cool elegance to the heart.

All in all this is one of the best takes on rose/oud, imo. It's full of life, fun, sexy, and intellectually interesting, too.

Somebody else loves this one too! This one lasts a long time, projects well and is a beautiful composition, but not much oud for me, just enough of that artificial oud note to blend well with the other ingredients. I really like the plum note and it seems I like most fragrances that have plum in them. Probably my favorite scent released last year.
    Most worn scents according to my haphazard use of the SOTD...so perhaps my favorites.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (23 wears)
    2. M7 by Eves Saint Laurent (18 wears)
    3. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (21 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (14 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (13 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (12 wears)
    7. Terre d'Hermes by Hermes (11 wears plus; often not recorded, my "go to" scent.)
    8. Interlude Man by Amouage (11 wears)
    9. Journey Man by Amouage (12 wears)
    10. Bullion by Byredo (10 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: 1861 by Xerjoff

Sculpture, what a great way to describe it. I get that plum opening and I get the rose in it. I don't think of it as a whoreish rose, but it is not like the rose I got in Czech and Speake 88, or Black Aoud, or earthiness of Voleur de Roses. I get more rose and some woody vibe most of the day. I will say that this is one of those longevity monsters, right up there with the Montales. The oud is not like the oud in Black Aoud by Montale, for sure, and to me, if Royal Oud is oud, then NY Oud is oud. My wife did not like most of the Bonds but this one she likes, even says for me to wear it more, and the daughter likes it too.

Basenotes Member

93% full with original box for $150NZD incl shipping

Do you think this is worth a blind buy at that price? Also for those who like this fragrance do you think the premium for this particular Bond at retail is justified firstly in terms of quality of ingredients and secondly as being more enjoyable overall