Code of Conduct

Default Perfume prices: Italy vs. USA?

Hello All! I'll be taking my wife to Italy this April for two weeks to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. We both love Italian perfumery and will no doubt be picking up a few things while there. I was curious as to whether well known brands such as Mazzolari, Profumum Roma, and and Profumi di Pantelleria are significantly cheaper in Italy than what we can get them for here in the USA? Additionally, I understand the VAT adds an additional 20% to the price and that it may not be recouped in some instances. Thanks for your help!

Mike

Default Re: Perfume prices: Italy vs. USA?

Have fun in Italy!

Italian brands are usually cheaper in Italy, but usually not significantly so, and it depends on many things including the exchange rate and the fee charged by your credit card company. Unlike in the US, the prices quoted in stores already include the sales tax, so you don't have to add anything. Sometimes, you can recoup part of the sales tax (not sure how much) if the stores gives you a form that you need to stamp at the airport; however, not all stores do so and if they do, they do to large purchases only (more than a couple of hundred euros). So I would not consider the tax reimbursement when deciding whether to make a purchase, though of course if this happens much for the better.

If you look around, there are a few threads on this forum on stores to visit in Italy and stuff to buy. Among the cheap brands, you might want to consider l'Erbolario as well, which is quite inexpensive in Italy.

cacio

Default Re: Perfume prices: Italy vs. USA?

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Have fun in Italy!

Italian brands are usually cheaper in Italy, but usually not significantly so, and it depends on many things including the exchange rate and the fee charged by your credit card company. Unlike in the US, the prices quoted in stores already include the sales tax, so you don't have to add anything. Sometimes, you can recoup part of the sales tax (not sure how much) if the stores gives you a form that you need to stamp at the airport; however, not all stores do so and if they do, they do to large purchases only (more than a couple of hundred euros). So I would not consider the tax reimbursement when deciding whether to make a purchase, though of course if this happens much for the better.

If you look around, there are a few threads on this forum on stores to visit in Italy and stuff to buy. Among the cheap brands, you might want to consider l'Erbolario as well, which is quite inexpensive in Italy.

cacio
    Grazie mille, Cacio!