Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Givenchy Gentleman

This was the first fragrance I ever owned. My father gave me a tester when I was a small child, about 25 years ago. I remember cherishing it dearly and would like to buy a bottle but first a question: If I buy a new bottle today, will it be the same fragrance that I had back in the mid-eighties - or has it been reworked over time, and if so to what extent?

Thanks!

Default Re: Givenchy Gentleman

It has been reformulated and people say the old one was the best. I have the reformulated version and I like it and love the patchouli accord. You need to test a spayer in a store to see if you like it and it measures up too what you remember.

Quite different to me but you may like the new one better. You really need to sample, or get an original on ebay.

Basenotes Member

Thanks guys. Ideally I would test both but that's not likely. Would the difference really even be discernible to my novice nose? Or is it mostly noticeable to the experts? Sorry to be pedantic, but for some reason it matters to me that the one I will test - and probably buy - is the same (or extremely similar) to the one that I had all those years ago

... then you should get the vintage!

I have both the old and the new but have to say that the modern version is still a beautiful fragrance IMO. This has to be one of the rare reformulations that wasn't made a mess of. I would have no hesitation in purchasing the newer juice but if you find a vintage - go for it- always good to have. I find after 10-15 mins it's really impossible to tell the difference between the two.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    I have both the old and the new but have to say that the modern version is still a beautiful fragrance IMO. This has to be one of the rare reformulations that wasn't made a mess of. I would have no hesitation in purchasing the newer juice but if you find a vintage - go for it- always good to have. I find after 10-15 mins it's really impossible to tell the difference between the two.
    + 1000 to ALL.

the new is still beautiful and powerhouse.

PS. This was also my first fragrance.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Even if your "novice nose" can't tell the difference now, suppose it can in the near future? I don't have a bunch of these kinds of reformulated vintage frags on my swap/sales page because I need the money !

Keep an eye on eBay if you are set on getting the exactly the same smell

Great fragrance. Go for vintage; it's what you really want. The new one is still wonderful, though. One of the few instances where I smelled a fragrance on a card and bought it immediately.

It's probably different than it was years ago. I only have the original from decades ago. A very nice fragrance.

I've only tried the newer version and quite liked it - in my experience the vintages are generally superior

I really want to try the vintage. I loved the new one immediately, but Turin gave it a shitty rating and proclaimed it was once a really great leather but reformulations left it rather flat.

I smelled (and bought) the newer version first - one smell had me hooked - it's a wonderful fragrance. I was then intrigued enough to buy the vintage which I managed to do via ebay - see below:

The vintage is deeper, fuller & has a dusty, patchouli smell with an almost powdery edge in the drydown. One of the main differences is that the vintage is heavier on the civet which gives the fragrance a slightly animalic edge - not to any extent which should put anyone off it - the civet just serves to enrich the fragrance.

The best way to spot new/vintage is the label on the bottle. The vintage formulation has a label which wraps around the bottle. The newer version is just a small sticker on the front face.

I own them both and, though different, I think they're both great.

The original formula seems to emphasize the leather, the new version emphasizes the patchouli.

I purchased my vintage bottle from an ebay seller.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverbm View Post
    This was the first fragrance I ever owned. My father gave me a tester when I was a small child, about 25 years ago. I remember cherishing it dearly and would like to buy a bottle but first a question: If I buy a new bottle today, will it be the same fragrance that I had back in the mid-eighties - or has it been reworked over time, and if so to what extent?
    it has been reformulated very severely. i think the new stuff is crap. the old gentleman was one of the great masculines.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Even if your "novice nose" can't tell the difference now, suppose it can in the near future? I don't have a bunch of these kinds of reformulated vintage frags on my swap/sales page because I need the money !

I would gladly take many fragrances off your hands including this one if only you shipped to EU, shame!
    But I perfectly understand why North American users wouldn't want to go through that hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    it has been reformulated very severely. i think the new stuff is crap. the old gentleman was one of the great masculines.
    Yet, let's admit it, it does happen.

I would gladly take many fragrances off your hands including this one if only you shipped to EU, shame!
    But I perfectly understand why North American users wouldn't want to go through that hassle.
    It may be worthwhile going with a large lot and FedEx or another non-USPS shipper. It is not worth doing for one bottle, except perhaps the most expensive ones, like Patou Pour Homme.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th February 2012 at 06:02 AM.

Banned

.... for some reason it matters to me that the one I will test - and probably buy - is the same (or extremely similar) to the one that I had all those years ago
    Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    ... then you should get the vintage!
    get the vintage ...

Basenotes Member

Thanks all

@Derbyman Thanks for that advice re the label.

I'm going to bid on some vintage!

Thanks all

@Derbyman Thanks for that advice re the label.

I'm going to bid on some vintage!
    you're welcome. another useful signifier is the box. look for the black and white box. avoid the black box with gray silver pattern! it should be available on ebay, you could use the word 'vintage' to narrow down the search. be aware of stock images, they can show the old bottle while the seller actually has a new one. good luck!

vintage

reformulated

btw, this second picture is what stock images usually look like.

@bigsly: i wasn't the one who wrote that.

@bigsly: i wasn't the one who wrote that.
    I know. I changed the quoted material to reflect the proper response, after responding to the wrong post. Anyway, I have some mini bottles with the label wrapped around the whole bottle and can say that is the original. So, if you want a small amount to fiddle around with for a while, you can often get them on ebay inexpensively, unlike the large bottles. My minis are up for swap, along with a 100 ml bottle of the new one.

welcome oliverbm ...
    OK ...
    If I buy a new bottle today, will it be the same fragrance that I had back in the mid-eighties >> NO
    Has it been reworked over time, >> Yes
    and if so to what extent ? >> Noticeable

I would say they are like twins but not identical twins ,,, the vintage is much richer & denser with slight nuances that enrich the aura it projects .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

The new one pumps up the patchouli and lessens the leather. Not bad but still, not that great. Plenty of vintage Gentlemen to go around, I say.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Have the vintage. Way too much patchouli for my own liking but I respect it nonetheless.
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

I seem to remember Perfaddict doing a side by side review of the older and newer versions-I hope my memory serves me correctly- which was excellent. Perhaps he can weigh in here?
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didnt' notice much difference, but since the vintage is affordably available, why not try the vintage

I just purchased a bottle of this on overstock.com. It has not arrived yet.

On Overstock it says "made in the USA". Is this another EA product ? When I emailed Givenchy directly they said that all of their fragrances are made in France.

Chanel for instance produces fragrances in France and the USA.

Can anybody give me anymore input ?

I am very excited to get this. I've owned a sample before but for some reason I never bought a large bottle of it.

Thanks

I've been looking to do a regular wearing of the original for a while now but things keep coming up (and I need to wear something elsee for one reason or another). If anyone is interested, I have a 98% 100 ml bottle of the new and a new mini of the old, for swap or sale, if anyone wants to do a comparison without spending a lot.

Okay, I applied the vintage version over an hour ago. There is a blast of spice (nice) along with patchouli and a burning rubber kind of leather (birch tar?). The harsh elements have settled down now, and it's a very enjoyable blend, with a bit of a powdery quality. It's got many different things going on at the same time, with excellent balance. There are fruity, floral, leathery, and spicy qualities, along with the patchouli (which is not too strong now, and I really don't like strong patchouli notes!). The new one seems to be a reasonable attempt at "modernizing" this one, but that's not why I would be interested in wearing a frag like this in the first place, and I have recent leather frags for that purpose anyway. So, I think that these two should be sampled before committing to a bottle of either one, unless you are a stickler for vintage, in which case you probably wouldn't even consider the new one.

UPDATE: After 2-3 hours, I think the patchouli started to get to me. Looks like yet another bottle needs to find it's way to my sales and swap pages !
    Last edited by Bigsly; 5th March 2012 at 04:08 AM.

I have been using the reformulation for 2 days now. I had originally bought a mini of this a few years ago and wound up using the entire sample. However I had also bought a mini of eau savage extreme which was more to my liking. I have wanted to re visit "Gentleman" ever since.

The only thing I don't like about this fragrance is the powdery note. Can someone tell me what that is ? My short stint with Habit Rouge turned me off to powdery notes forever. Fortunately on me the powdery effect seems to be muddled by other ingredients. I have not been able to find vetiver in gentleman. The leather spice and patchouli are the most pronounced ingredients to my nose. I was looking forward to a dry leathery vetiver with spice but I am not getting it.

It is a rather tame fragrance (although not wimpy) and very polite as the name suggests. The uniqueness comes in it's complexity of ingredients IMO. I don't see this having the "wow" factor that some other fragrances had from this era (my era). This isn't a clubby fragrance or something to wear to draw attention from girls. I could see older women being attracted to this because it screams responsible stable and mature. This fragrance is more for someone that already has a wife and kids and ls secure with themselves. Somebody stable enough to have a few well made suits hanging in the closet.

Eventually I will go back to my Giorgio Beverly Hills but for the moment I am enjoying this scent. I would use this during the warmer months when I can have more freedom with what to wear. Wearing this all bundled up in winter clothing doesn't make sense. This needs the right outfit to go with it.

Thumbs up. A worthy purchase (directly from Givenchy.com) that will last me awhile. I am pleased to have it in my collection.

i don´t like it. It smells cheap loud French cologne.