Code of Conduct
o

Default What health problems can a frangrance cause? Do "healthy" fragrances exist?

Hi everybody
    It seems to me that a lot of chemicals can be found in one fragrance. What do you think the effects of these chemicals can have on the body and on the environment? Do you know of fragrances that are made of ingredients that are not harmful, and if possible with a beneficial effect.
    Thanks everyone.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: What health problems can a frangrance cause? Do "healthy" fragrances exist?

Not sure, but over decades of fragrance collecting, I haven't had any adverse effects from fragrances.

Default Re: What health problems can a frangrance cause? Do "healthy" fragrances exist?

Interesting topic. I think the only negative effect of fragrance on me is that it makes my dry skin worse.
    Current top 3:
    1) Gucci Pour Homme II
    2) Givenchy Play Intense
    3) Dolce & Gabbana The One

dont worry unless you find one that causes an allergic rxn
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Superlearner:

You are opening a can of worms - if you search for IFRA and regulation you'll see the debates. I don't think anybody has documented yet serious negative effects from perfume use. Besides, the quantities of perfume used are relatively minor compared to the use of most other products.

Occasionally, a few people may get small skin allergies from specific substances; IFRA, for reasons unrelated to health concerns, has decided to ban these substances. It so happens that most of these banned substances are actually natural substances, like oakmoss, jasmine, and citrus oils. But I think I'm getting back to the whole IFRA controversy ...

cacio

I do think frags are one of the little small tiny drops in thw water of things that causes human beings to get cancer.

We can only guess to what an extend frags are the contributor to cancer - but my guess is that fragrances DO cause cancer.

Only problem is that I don't want to know.......because I'm a frag head

Not as much as the most intense frag heads in here, but I'm catching up, and FAST - so NO! I close my eyes and hope it will not cause cancer at all, that all is just guess work and theory and calmly sit back in my chair trying to persuade myself that frags are safe to use........hmmmmm
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Can shampoo, soap, toothpaste or hand cream, or a three course meal be harmful or beneficial? The same is with fragrance.
    I believe it is not harmful, nor is it particularly "healthy" in a big scale of things. Mostly it is individual. If you, for example, are allergic or sensitive to jasmine, or rose, or oakmoss, or anything (most people aren't), a fragrance with a big dose of it might cause you irritations, therefore it would be harmful to you. But if you find a particular scent calming, soothing, invigorating etc or it brings you joy, then it clearly has benefits to your overall health - not necessarily physically, but I believe physical health has a lot to do with our mind state, too.
    Currently wearing: Méharées by L'Erbolario

Basenotes Plus

Who knows, I’ve been heavily at it for 5-6 years now not concerned a healthy lifestyle and diet is more of a concern to me than fragrances. If anything they do have an affect on your mood and can bring you happiness my life has been full of joy even more since starting this hobby. Every day I look forward to a different fragrance and they make my work days more tolerable.

Nerf Herder

Quote Originally Posted by superlearner View Post
    Hi everybody
    It seems to me that a lot of chemicals can be found in one fragrance. What do you think the effects of these chemicals can have on the body and on the environment? Do you know of fragrances that are made of ingredients that are not harmful, and if possible with a beneficial effect.
    Thanks everyone.
    Quick answer - Gorilla (Lush) makes the claim of being natural/vegan driven. I doubt there's anything particularly beneficial about this, but if there is a chance that a synthetic molecule could eventually be proven carcinogenic, this would be a safe bet. Some artisanal perfurmers and Roja Dove are also largely (in some cases purely) natural product driven, but their price points tend to rise quite sharply as a result (Roja claims 85% naturals on average for his fragrances, pricing kicks off at $300 USD for 100 mL).

Longer answer - Every fragrance is pretty much a melange of oil, alcohol and water, along with some synthetic aromachemicals or naturally derived isolates in the mix with the oils. Alcohol is always going to dry your skin out and tends to be a solvent/diffusive for most molecules mixed with a fragrance. Any skin repairing, hydrating or nutritious effect from dermally absorbed substances is going to generally be countered by the alcohol's dry down, so if someone is claiming of health benefits to a fragrance, I call bullshit (Neurochemical uplift and psychogenic aphrodisiac affects aside).

The "skin sensitisers" being banned by IFRA are, as Cacio said, by and large naturals that have been used for hundreds of years, so the odds any of them are harmful is negligible, given that we tend to ingest a very large percentage of them and have done so for a very long time.

Synthetic aromachemicals - the jury is out. You'd need a specific long term study on daily exposure to fixed aromachemicals like Dihydromyrcenol, Ambroxan and the like to know for sure, and none of the companies with an interest in funding such a study will do so because it would damage their own commercial self interest. As far as I'm aware, I don't know about any such studies being published for peer review, but I'd love to hear about them if I'm wrong.

In general terms, there's nothing immediately alarming from their chemical structure and properties. Even if you can't trust fragrance manufacturers to legitimately care about your health, you can bank on them not wanting to put themselves at risk by knowingly opening themselves to billions in liability.

Still, we could have said the same for parabens and talcum powder years ago, so who knows?

All Is Beautiful

Only apply to clothing. Problem solved. Perfumes aren’t very safe on skin in my opinion.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Healthy fragrances? Eau de O.J. by Tropicana.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

If they say they use what the say, just dermatitis/atopies (rhinitis and asthma attack).
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

Basenotes Plus

Fragrance obsession could be a mental health issue...
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I concur, this is a far greater danger... especially to your financial health as well.

Not certain about both legal restrictions and ethical questions (not all and not necessarily legally regulated) imposed on most fragrances that may or may not have the beneficial effect to make them healthy, natural and close to nature.
    However did also have the so far beneficial experience (even if based just on mere luck) of no adverse reactions towards fragrances, irrespective if predominantly natural or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I fear this may be true!

And yet, fragrance has oftentimes been just the mental boost I needed. Not a small thing in life.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Cinnabar by Estée Lauder