Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar

Default SOTD Monday 2nd February 2015

Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Currently wearing: Coromandel by Chanel

Default Re: SOTD Monday 2nd February 2015

Cedre Atlas by Atelier Cologne

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

hello all,

Blog Entries

Morning all!

l have a day off, & l'm sampling Passage d'Enfer today. To my surprise, this smells kind of like springtime to me!

Have a great week, everyone.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hello all.

L'Artisan La Chasse Aux Papillons
    DONNA

Good morning everyone I'm starting the week with some Poison I felt really tired this morning soo hope it will make me feel more.....empowered Have a great day everyone.

Spritz and run. In Bois des Îles today. Enjoy your day off teardrop. Hope the week treats you all kindly.

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone. Robert Piguet Visa for me.

Wish you all a good start to the week.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Red Rose by Al Rehab

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Carven Homme (original) today
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Good morning, everyone!

Joining Hednic in the house of Atelier with Vanille Insensee,

Have a great day!

Good morning, good smelling people. I am smelling of henna from coloring my hair yesterday, and Neil Morris Prowl. Not a lot of perfumes can coordinate with the slightly wet-dog smell of henna but this one manages it pretty well.

Hello All,

House twins as per usual with Xscent: Egoïste. All lovely geranium and tagetes and spices and sandalwood.

Best to everyone.

Basenotes Plus

Hello all
    wearing Chanel Pm EDP

Have a happy Monday!
    Last edited by Viffer; 2nd February 2015 at 02:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Happy Groundhog Day, everyone!

Here we go with the next round of snow/sleet/freezing rain followed by more snow. I'm staying warm with tea, a book, and hubby, who stayed home for the day.

SotD is Laura Ashley No. 1 (original).
    Join us in discussing Penhaligon's newest feminine, Ostara, a daffodil soliflore by Bertrand Duchafour
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/403...74#post3474074

We also still have room in our Penhaligon's Trade Routes Sample Pass--sign up now!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/400...antium-Lothair

Good morning everyone, and happy Monday!

Thank you all for the happy wishes for the date Friday night. Dinner was fabulous and very special. Just in case anyone is familiar with it, the chef has a show on PBS called "A Chef's Life." http://chefandthefarmer.com/

En Passant
    today.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Under 18" of snow today. But, we don't shut down for that - it's Chicago! Wearing Slumberhouse Vikt today.
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 135ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium)

Basenotes Plus

Happy Monday and Groundhog Day! Montale Jasmin Full.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !. Congratulations to any Patriots fans checking in - hope those hangovers are subsiding

Mrs E, you were bang on about the final yesterday - the first two sets were tremendous entertainment with barely anything to choose between the two players. The less said about the fourth the better but I'm sure our man will be back again next year for another attempt. Hugely enjoyable tournament overall.

*dora*, your country has suffered enough turmoil in recent times - hoping for a brighter future for you all.

Portrait Of A Lady.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 2nd February 2015 at 03:18 PM.

Hello! Our temperatures are struggling to stay above zero degrees
    but I am cozy near the log burner and wearing Alien.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Monday 2nd February 2015

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Batacuda by L'Artisan
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

YR Rose Absolue

Blog Entries

John Collier

Robert Piguet-
    Baghari
    Vintage Parfum

Last edited by kumquat; 2nd February 2015 at 08:04 PM.
    Currently wearing: Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Creed Pure White Cologne.

Blog Entries

Viffer, you smell elegant and gorgeous, as do you all. Easyfish I love Via Verri.

Now, don't be mad with me..... I have some Mitsouko EDT and I wore it today intending to enjoy it and I just can't.

Vintage Armani this evening.

Ebene de Balmain - SOTD

Hey y'all -

Dior today. Plenty of vintage Miss Dior parfum this morning, plus a flourish of edt...

...and New Look 1947 for the evening. Have a good night, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    ...Now, don't be mad with me..... I have some Mitsouko EDT and I wore it today intending to enjoy it and I just can't.
    Mad?? On the contrary, I'm always rather relieved when I realize I'm not the only one around here who's not all head-over-heels about it ...I sort of loathe it now, actually, lol. It's partially a negative association thing, but it's mostly a bitter, sour peach thing. I've long since given up trying to get along with Mitsouko, and instead embraced Parure for beautiful Guerlain mossiness sans the sour peach, and Nahema's good for beautiful Guerlain moss plus rose! So you see dear, you have absolutely *nothing* to be embarrassed about ...Mitsouko isn't even really necessary.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

SOTE
    ,,,,,,,,,,,vtg. (70s)

Good afternoon and best to all. Private Collection today.

Ryan, so true. I did have to shovel paths in the backyard for the dogs today -- it's not the snow, it's the windblown drifts. But it's so pretty out. And it's nice to say hello to the neighbors as we all shovel out.

Blog Entries

Foustie, Mitsouko is so not my thing either. l agree with Evangeline about the sour peach note; it's just not necessary!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Thank you girls! I am not alone. I always wonder what I'm missing with Mitsouko, you know, thinking that "I" just cant get it. I just find it an unpleasant, sour old thing, with a mean streak. A kind of whatever happened to baby Jane of a perfume.

... I always wonder what I'm missing with Mitsouko, you know, thinking that "I" just cant get it. I just find it an unpleasant, sour old thing, with a mean streak. A kind of whatever happened to baby Jane of a perfume.
    *gasp*

(Still love you, Foustie ! )

Basenotes Institution

((throwing oranges and apples at Foustie))

lol

First time from a sample:

Lavande Ombree by Au Pays de la Fleur D'Oranger

Gorgeous!!!!!! Love it. Want more.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Good story, 30R.
    Wonderful news, Kiliwia.

Smokey Boucheron

That's not a flanker. Yesterday's snowstorm bombarded the screening around the chimneytop where it melted, forming ice that eventually shut off airflow, sort of smoking us out last night. Smells mildly smokey yet. Sunshine has remedied the ice problem this afternoon.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.
    Currently wearing: Mira Baï by Chopard

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon/evening to everyone!

Has anyone else ever had a feeling of relief that it is Monday? I did today-- isn’t that awful?!? The weekend wasn’t “bad,” just exhausting, but at least it had nothing to do with any sporting events! I am so eternally thankful that bf is NOT into professional sports. Lol! Today is our little “anniversary" of more years than I'd like to admit, due to time flying by too fast... Anyway, I really don't care about such things, but it was nice that he remembered at 2:30 am, noticed that I was awake and said “Happy Anniversary!” I fully expect that he will have forgotten by the time I get home today.

SOTD is MPG Bois de Turquie.

ETA: Well, I didn't refresh my screen often enough, obviously! Foustie you are too funny, and I almost choked on my tea just now reading the various hilarious responses!!!! Baby Jane's perfume? Gasps? Fruits whizzing by? OMG, you folks are the best. See, I knew Monday would be better!
    Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 2nd February 2015 at 08:20 PM.
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Happy Anniversary to you and yours. I hope you two have a wonderful evening!

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    Good afternoon/evening to everyone!

Has anyone else ever had a feeling of relief that it is Monday? I did today-- isn’t that awful?!? The weekend wasn’t “bad,” just exhausting, but at least it had nothing to do with any sporting events! I am so eternally thankful that bf is NOT into professional sports. Lol! Today is our little “anniversary" of more years than I'd like to admit, due to time flying by too fast... Anyway, I really don't care about such things, but it was nice that he remembered at 2:30 am, noticed that I was awake and said “Happy Anniversary!” I fully expect that he will have forgotten by the time I get home today.

SOTD is MPG Bois de Turquie.
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 135ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Happy Anniversary to you and yours. I hope you two have a wonderful evening!
    Thank you! I have a feeling that I will go "celebrate" after work by buying some bare root roses!
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

Thank you girls! I am not alone. I always wonder what I'm missing with Mitsouko, you know, thinking that "I" just cant get it. I just find it an unpleasant, sour old thing, with a mean streak. A kind of whatever happened to baby Jane of a perfume.
    Ha ha, perfect description!

Happy anniversary, cestrum!

Had a terribly failed experiment last night trying to make vanilla scented body oil and couldn't get the nauseating smell out of my nose... so I went with the least gourmandish thing I could think of, Le Labo 49.

SOTE: Homme Elegant by Fragonard

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

L'Artisan Perfumeur Dzing!

Foustie, you are not alone on the Mitsouko issue, it took almost a year for me to enjoy wearing it after I bought it. Now I like it, but find I really have to be in the mood for it. It's a hard one to love. Excellent post, made me laugh, thanks.

Quarry,
    Smokey Boucheron, not sure I would want to try that one, lol. I hope the smoke clears out of your house entirely.

Cestrum, Happy Anniversary, I hope the two of you have a wonderful evening.

Wearing Sonoma Scent Studio Winter Woods this evening.

Wishing everyone a nice evening!

Basenotes Plus

Foustie, Evangeline, teardrop, and Kiliwia--I thought I was alone in not understanding/appreciating for art's sake/loving Mitsouko. Thank heavens I have found some kindred spirits. I have to admit, though, that in addition to Mitsouko, Shalimar and I do not get along unless it's a flanker with added vanilla.
    It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

I love Winter Woods. It's such an evocative fragrance. Warm, animalic and very smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Wearing Sonoma Scent Studio Winter Woods this evening.
    MadHat Scents

queen of the universe

Happy Anniversary, dear cestrum nocturnum!

SOTD is Patou Eau de 1000, newly acquired after lusting over it at my NYC friend's. It's safe to say I don't go for the shy fragrances! Big, astringent, and perfumy. Ohlala.

20150202_150937_resized.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foxbins View Post
    Foustie, Evangeline, teardrop, and Kiliwia--I thought I was alone in not understanding/appreciating for art's sake/loving Mitsouko. Thank heavens I have found some kindred spirits. I have to admit, though, that in addition to Mitsouko, Shalimar and I do not get along unless it's a flanker with added vanilla.
    Nope, not alone, not one bit. The only incarnation of Mitzy I can bear to wear is the vintage eau de cologne & I think that's because most of the stinky peach notes have evaporated. Shalimar is a scent I enjoy smelling on other people but like you, I only enjoy the vanilla flankers of this classic.

I'm all over the place with fragrances today. When I left for work this morning, I rushed out san scent. I felt "neckkid" without my fragrance, so I fished around in the bottom of my bag until I found an unmarked Nordstrom sample. Haven't a clue what it was, still can't place it; some newish soapy floral. Not my cuppa!

We received some excellent news today; Sofie has been accepted at Saint Louis University http://www.slu.edu, her first choice for college. some of you may remember back in 2005 when I was so excited about her learning to ride a two wheel bike! Whew! Time is passing so quickly!

Anyway, I took her out to her favorite sushi restaurant for a celebration meal, then off to visit Sephora (her request). She's not as "into" fragrance as I am, make up is more to her liking and she's a big fan of the brand Too Faced. So I treated her to the Too Face Semi Sweet Chocolate Bar Palette she's been craving.

Of course, I had to try some fragrance! So I mosey on over to the Select 'o Scent screen & choose a set of combinations I don't normally explore. Tried Tocca Beauty Bianca Notes: Bergamot, Lavender, Mandarin, Lemon Orpur, Rose Petals, Jasmine, Green Tea, Musk, Sugar. Which got a definitely "NO!" from the daughter.

Next was Stella edp Notes: Rose, Peony Flower, Mandarin, Rose Absolute, Amber. "I like that better. she said but it smells like some you have already. It's going to take something really special to get my attention, Mom."

I've created a monster.

Final sample was Atelier Cologne Pomélo Paradis Cologne Absolue Pure Perfume. "Wow! Let me smell that! Now that doesn't smell like anything you have. How much does it cost?" "$70", I say. "It's too much mom, you have soon much perfume!"

Like I said, I've created a monster.

We had fun though & her dad & I are so very, very proud of her.
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Richard James Edt tonight
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Basenotes Institution

Congrats to RMH Junior! There's a makeup line called Too Faced?..lol - I love that!
    Congrat's to my buddy cestrum_nocturnum and her hunky husband (and all of the crazy cats, dogs, animals and plants too...lol...[inside joke])
    30 Roses - I didn't know it was Groundhog Day, thanks for the reminder
    ErinK - ((jealous)) that restaurant sounds awesome
    jujy54 - I was missing you & here are you, blowing crazy scents all over the place as usual. I never warmed up to 1000, but I do have a soft spot for vintage Joy parfum

Long day today! Remember I told you I have a brand new receptionist today? Yeah. I felt like today I worked about as much as I do in 3 days. Then after dinner I drove up & picked up Dad and took him dinner with me. I'm exhausted! This week it's going to be like this every night. May the force we with me.

I took a long hot bath & literally drenched myself in:

Agua Lavanda by Puig

Ah...that's better. Off to bed. ((bear hugs)) all around...especially to ineespenes, I hope the Poison this morning gave you the power you needed!!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd February 2015 at 03:04 AM.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Armani Code Sport