Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Perfume induced headaches ( Possibly)

I am new to the world of fragrance..... for years I just had 1-2 bottles of nothing special on the bathroom shelf.....sometimes I wore it, if I remembered, mostly I forgot.
    Recently......this past few months, I began a fragrance collecting hobby..... ( ) and have made it my mission to never leave the house without wearing perfume..... ( its gonna last forever if I dont wear it) so I have actually stuck to it......

Sometimes I get a really stuffy headache....I am not given to headaches... I have put it down to the perfume.....not ALL of them but some.
    Chanel #5 is a bit headachey......but I love it so much I just take tablets and to hell with the headache!

I am not sure if its
    A....because I am relatively new to wearing it daily when I didnt used to, or
    B...if theres an ingredient in some of them that actually doesnt agree with me? it makes me question maybe certain oils ? I havent checked which one gives me a headache....I might do that the next time I get one, then when I have 3-4 on my list, I can compare what they have in common.
    Or C.....none of the above, I am just getting a headache!

Its not every day, but I would say at least once a week, maybe twice....

Has anyone here had this problem? and what did you do? did you find a common denominator?

Default Re: Perfume induced headaches ( Possibly)

Quote Originally Posted by anne north View Post
    I am not sure if its

B...if there's an ingredient in some of them that actually doesn't agree with me?
    This is entirely possible and credible IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Unfortunately, it happens - some people do get headaches. whether it's an ingredient or the alcohol or whatever. If it is an ingredient, it is really hard to pinpoint anything specific, because perfumes are mixes of hundreds of molecules, which are not listed.

Sometimes the issue is the big opening spray. Perhaps it could help if you don't spray near the face, but as far away as possible, for instance in the legs or the belly. You and other people will still smell, but not as directly as if you sprayed arms or neck. Dabbing (instead of spraying) could help too.

Do you get the same headache if you use No 5 body cream or bath gel? No 5 contains a lot of aldehydes, which are quite strong up top.

cacio

Basenotes Member

I cant wear fragranced bath gel or cream, I only use Aveeno.....prescribed for my excema, and its the only thing that works for me so I just keep to that.....

No 5 gives me a headache, as does Armani Diamonds.... I love both of these fragrances.... so I put up with it, but maybe they have similar ingredients, I will have to check.

2-3 days ago I wore Paul Smith Rose.....and nothing....Estee Lauder Beautiful....nothing.......

So I may have to note the ones that do...... and be very careful with them and spray like you said, with more caution and further away from my face.....

Thank you

Anne

Chanel no. 5 also gives me a headache, as does Poison and Shalimar. I really avoid them all.
    “Let the beauty we love, be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” -Rumi

TM Angel, suffocating headache inducer

Yoga breathing exercises, oddly, pretty much resolved this for me.

Try dabbing instead of spraying.

But yep, certain cents can cause headache in some people, it's real. I can't wear the body shop Moringa stuff around either of my older daughters, they like the smell but immediately get headache from it, and they can wear other perfumes, it isn't a mental thing, it's a reaction to some ingredient in there.

Basenotes Member

I will dab, cos I certainly am not giving away my new collection of lovelies...... they are all new and full bottles....and I love the smells.... I will just have to be conservative when wearing them. I dont douse myself as it is, just one spray to each side of my neck, and one spray on my wrist....then shared with other wrist.....so 3 in total. So I dont think I over-do it... (hope not anyway) but I just cant bear to give them all away.... I can see them lasting me a very long time now, given that I should probably stasrt using less.

I am thinking it may be the Jasmin... all the perfumes I have WITH Jasmin , do it to me, the ones without dont seem to... ( I dont think) I may have to take longer over this to decide if it is Jasmin...... And I have just ordered the BIGGEST bottle of Jasmin Noir... and Joy by Jean Patou.... doh!

Basenotes Member

Just received my beautiful bottle of Jean Patou JOY..... had to put a little of it on. and yep, here comes the headace. 2 Ibuprofen will cure that...

Must be a note in the fragrance you're using that's giving you those headaches. How many sprays do you use and where do you spray?

I get them at the back of my head and they can last several hours in which pain killers do little and I've tried them all. It usually happens when I have over-sprayed or sniffed a strong scent up close on my skin. Same thing happens with strong incense.

Basenotes Member

1 spray behind each ear, 1 spray on one wrist and share it.... if its not such a strong perfume I will also spray once on my cleavage.... LOL
    I have tried doing a sort of half-spray, but I cant control it very well. I have ordered some little glass perfume bottles with dabbers, and intend to decant the headache inducing ones into them... they are only 2ml sizes so it will be replenished regularly so that it doesnt go off.

Spritzing certain perfumes on an empty stomach will do that to me sometimes.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Must be a note in the fragrance you're using that's giving you those headaches.
    +1

The only fragrance that induced a headache, for me, was Issey Miyake's L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme. I quickly gave it away.

Quote Originally Posted by anne north View Post
    I am new to the world of fragrance..... for years I just had 1-2 bottles of nothing special on the bathroom shelf.....sometimes I wore it, if I remembered, mostly I forgot.
    Recently......this past few months, I began a fragrance collecting hobby..... ( ) and have made it my mission to never leave the house without wearing perfume..... ( its gonna last forever if I dont wear it) so I have actually stuck to it......

Sometimes I get a really stuffy headache....I am not given to headaches... I have put it down to the perfume.....not ALL of them but some.
    Chanel #5 is a bit headachey......but I love it so much I just take tablets and to hell with the headache!

I am not sure if its
    A....because I am relatively new to wearing it daily when I didnt used to, or
    B...if theres an ingredient in some of them that actually doesnt agree with me? it makes me question maybe certain oils ? I havent checked which one gives me a headache....I might do that the next time I get one, then when I have 3-4 on my list, I can compare what they have in common.
    Or C.....none of the above, I am just getting a headache!

Its not every day, but I would say at least once a week, maybe twice....

Has anyone here had this problem? and what did you do? did you find a common denominator?

anne north,

As a fragrance lover and migraineur, I can sympathize with you. Ultimately there are some ingredients that I can't tolerate. Quality of life is number one for me. That means. Absolutely no blind buys! I sample twice before I buy a larger quantity (decant or bottle). Sample on my wrists only. Trust me. That's enough to trigger multi day migraines in some instances. I can't scrub fast enough.

It's about patience. My love for fragrances is unending. Everyday there's something new to discover. No need to rush to purchase. Especially when you have headaches.

Good luck. Happy sniffing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alicka61 View Post
    TM Angel, suffocating headache inducer
    Yep, my friend who works as hotel manager said that after visitors who were wearing Angel they must open windows for NIGHTS and try not to put in those rooms other people, coz they will complain in most of cases.
    Its like eternal nightmare to me as well!

I love Fracas but gives me headaches, recently had same with Antilope Weil

Too much patch, too much tuberose, too much moss are my enemies