Code of Conduct

Default No one ever told me Ubar was beautiful

I sampled it today and OMG. It is beautiful, especially in the drydown. I might need a bottle of this.
    I also remember Larimar mentioned something about it having suffered reformulation. I intend to write to Amouage and ask them about it.
    Larimar, if you are reading this: do you think they have messed up much with this beauty?

Hillaire

Default Re: No one ever told me Ubar was beautiful

Oh, hey, GelbeDomino? Ubar is beautiful.

I am not Larimar, but IMO, the best Ubar was the re-intro from 2009. Even better than the nineties version, but fated to be thinned down in 2011. How does one tell the latest from the one before it? Maybe Larimar knows.

Unfortunately, ladies, I don't know how to differentiate them. I bought it as a gift in January 2011 - it looked the same to me - but I could not believe it when I smelled it how thin it had gotten. I had two samples for myself before. It's still nice, but the unique rich creaminess was gone. I was very p...ed.

I am very lucky having the 90s one in the strange bottle. Totally gorgeous. Haven't sniffed the later versions.
    DONNA

The version I smelled a couple of years back was heavenly indeed. I haven't smelled more recently, but I'm really p*** off too at the watering down of the old amouage classics, Gold, now Ubar, and I'm having doubts about Homage too.

cacio

Blog Entries

This is sad to hear. I am a big advocate of buying a fume as soon as you discover you like it. These companies are completely unreliable. Look what happened to Mona do Orio! But now Amouage is just shooting themselves in the foot. No one will have faith in these scents anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    No one will have faith in these scents anymore.
    So true! I'm done with Amouage (enjoying my Amouage Lyric Extrait "lifetime" stock), also because the new releases reeked of mediocrity and money-making to me.

Hillaire, Larimar I wrote to Amouage asking about this and they reassured me that Ubar hasn't been reformulated since it was relaunched (I think that was back in 2009) and also that they haven't messed with Gold.
    They always reply promptly when I e-mail them with questions and I don't see why I shouldn't trust them. I mean, I trust them better than I trust most companies.

Maybe there was a variation with a certain batch? Same as it purportedly happens with Creed?

Blog Entries

Amouage - Ubar

Golden lily over hot spices. Somewhere, the fox glories in his elegant coat.
    He squints in the sun. Desert flowers; fushia and gay yellow.

Notes: Bergamot, lemon, lily of the valley, damascene rose, jasmine, civet, vanilla
    I hope you are right and no one has messed around with the perfection of this one!

Gelbe:

I think the attitude here on BN is that perfume companies always lie. It would be nice if it were just a batch thing, but this seems to be happening to many of their frags - all batches were bad in 2011?

Since they seem to respond to questions, I think somebody should ask them if they follow IFRA restrictions, in their sprays and in their attars. I find it hard to believe that old Gold would have conformed to the jasmine restrictions, for instance, let alone some of the attar they claim contain jasmine (as I think Homage should have).

cacio

Good luck, GelbeDomino! Do let us know please! Maybe your sample is the new one as well, so all is well for you.
    I do not believe these companies - it is just like Guerlain's T. Wasser claimed in an interview the formula for Jicky remained unchanged. That may well be - the ingredients are the same, but it does maybe not say in what ratio and at what overall concentration. I mean, seriously, it is ridiculous when you compare vintage PdT and a new EdP of Jicky. The latter is much thinner and less skankier and less creamier (which is not necessarily a bad thing as far as I am concerned). Get me right, I love Jicky EdP, but it takes an awful lot of jus to make it last through at least half of the day. Same here - Ubar may stick to the same formula, but the difference was so obvious for me as I was familiar with Ubar going through 2ml samples twice myself - much thinner jus, not just a bit.

Basenotes Institution

Well it's another perfume thinned and castrated *sigh*
    It's a shame. The bottle I bought in 2009 was excellent - long lasting scent , skanky silky flowers . It reminded me of Jicky in many ways. The sample Kumquat sent me years ago of Ubar was magnificent - like gold silk . Kumquat's sample made me fall in love with Ubar .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by GelbeDomino View Post
    Hillaire, Larimar I wrote to Amouage asking about this and they reassured me that Ubar hasn't been reformulated since it was relaunched (I think that was back in 2009) and also that they haven't messed with Gold.
    They always reply promptly when I e-mail them with questions and I don't see why I shouldn't trust them. I mean, I trust them better than I trust most companies.

Maybe there was a variation with a certain batch? Same as it purportedly happens with Creed?
    ah. Shakes head. Poor innocent gelbedomino. Sighs

Blog Entries

That's nice of you to remember that, Mimi. I'm so glad I helped you make a nice discovery. I love when that happens!

This is sad to hear. I am a big advocate of buying a fume as soon as you discover you like it. These companies are completely unreliable. Look what happened to Mona do Orio! But now Amouage is just shooting themselves in the foot. No one will have faith in these scents anymore.
    kumquat, I think this is sound advice. Beautiful image and poetry by the way.
    GelbeDomino, I just sampled Ubar from luckyscent and found it truly beautiful. I have no way of really knowing how old the sample is really, and I have nothing to compare it with, so no risk of disillusionment in this case.
    Follow your heart, and do let us know what you decide.
    I am head over heels in love with Lyric, trying to decide if I should, can or will take the plunge with a purchase. I am considering one of those travel sized trios which make the price seem a bit less painful.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Dear gents and ladies, I am not as naοve as you may think. I'm no little red riding hood, you know. I generally believe -at most- about 10% of what a company says.
    I have always thought of Mr. Chong as a pretty outspoken and straightforward person, and that's why I trust his word a bit more.

I have friends in the industry (not Amouage) who have told me they must reevaluate theyr formulas every 6 months due to bl**dy IFRA regulations.

I don't know how old my sample is, Larimar, but the juice is truly heavenly. I would dare to say I like this even more than Lyric.

Basenotes Institution

That's nice of you to remember that, Mimi. I'm so glad I helped you make a nice discovery. I love when that happens!
    Thank you Kumquat - for that sample ! It'll always stick in my mind .

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I am considering one of those travel sized trios which make the price seem a bit less painful.
    Where do you get these trios? You mean pick 3 different fragrances ... or the travel trio of one at luckyscent?

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    So true! I'm done with Amouage (enjoying my Amouage Lyric Extrait "lifetime" stock), also because the new releases reeked of mediocrity and money-making to me.
    Oh no.... Lyric is watered down too? No wonder my last 2 decants were different color ... different experience.

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    Where do you get these trios? You mean pick 3 different fragrances ... or the travel trio of one at luckyscent?
    the travel trio...raffy's has them also, in a wider selection of the fragrances, I think.
    I am trying not to worry too much about reformulations, since I only just sampled Lyric for the first time and love the new sample of it.
    I did note a difference when comparing an older sample of J25 with a newer one, with the newer one appearing less intense, though still very beautiful imo.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

^thanks for the fast response rtamara4. I remember when you were ordering samples - I still need to try Ubar and J25. Glad you ended up liking Lyric, I fell in love with that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    Oh no.... Lyric is watered down too? No wonder my last 2 decants were different color ... different experience.
    I haven't said that, have I? No, not that I know. I have my own stock that will do me however.

Basenotes Institution

Just bumping this thread out of interest .

I went to the Amouage website today . Have these always been the notes for Ubar ? This list comes from the Amouage website.

Tangerine ,orange, Litsea Cubeba, violet leaves, jasmine, orange blossom, ylang, tuberose, lily of the valley , rose wood, sandalwood, patchouli, vetiver, copahu balsam, vanilla ,animal amber.
    Is animal amber the same as civet ?
    Litsea Cubeba is like lemongrass , I take it . I'm just confused.

On other websites like Luckyscent , Ubar's notes are listed as bergamot, lemon, lily of the valley, damascene rose, jasmine, civet, vanilla.

Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 18th May 2012 at 11:11 PM.

The latter, Mims, are the notes I knew of. Luca Turin said in his review that Ubar contained buckets of ambergris. I regret not having bought a bottle when I first sampled it. It was a so creamy, plush and rich. The new bottle I was referring to was a gift, it still smells nice, but I can't accept that. As kumquat put it, it has destroyed my faith in Amouage and meanwhile I have lost interest in their new releases (they were all mediocre). Well, I have the otherworldly plush oriental rose Lyric in extrait for good... one can't have everything in life...

I have only tried the "new" Ubar, not the first version of it. I sampled earlier this year and bought a bottle a month ago.
    Projection, sillage and staying power are nuclear.
    I have to spray it only once in order not to choke people around me. I find it very complex and not for everyday use.

Basenotes Institution

I recently re bought Ubar with a gift certificate from a very good Basenoter friend .
    I don't know if Luckyscent has new batches or the same batches of 2009 . My new Ubar smells exactly like the one I had before .
    The labelled ingredients lists last of all - oakmoss and treemoss .

As GelboDomino has said - tenacity is nuclear but I find it soft and lasting rather than heavy . I have sprayed up to 5 times and ventured out in public with no ill effects .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 25th May 2012 at 07:05 PM.

Alright, I got a bottle of Ubar (100 ml ) that someone sprayed once and gave it away to me. It was a bit of gambling, but I had high hopes it could be the real deal and it is.
    How to differentiate them? Well, my newer bottle had a silver steering wheel on the bottle, while the older now has a golden? Sounds stupid, but maybe mr. reasonable, who has just bought a newer can chime in?
    The difference in smell when I compared them last night:
    Very clear in the opening. The older has an immediate lush animalic creaminess. It is softer, heavier. The newer Ubar is sharper, more citrus, fresher. The floral heart is where I must admit the difference felt marginal when sniffing my wrists repeatedly and alternately. There is just more creaminess in the older.
    Now the base (2+ hours into wearing it) is where the difference is - for us perfumistas - really noticeable. The lush animalic creaminess gets darker and richer and lasts forever with still nice and considerable sillage. The newer is flatter, thinner, less longlived, 'watery' in comparison. I bet it has to do with the buckets of ambergris Luca Turin meant to smell in Ubar. The new is still a fantastic perfume, one of the best in the genre, but in direct comparison the older was for us perfumistas outstanding, extraordinary. Nothing like it.
    I am over the moon with my bottle now as I had always lamented not having bought a bottle at its time.
    Last edited by Larimar; 9th February 2013 at 08:45 AM.

The 50ml I bought has a golden coloured wheel / trim, Larimar. It may have been sitting in LC for year or two - hard to know how quickly the stuff moves. It seems really lovely but I have never experienced the first round of Gold & Ubar in the older bottles, which I imagine were pretty solid.

Thanks mr. reasonable for chiming in! So, *scratches head* either your bottle is old stuff, too or no theory.

Ubar -- I had a sample of it last year and it did not impress me at all. Then a kind BN sent me some from their bottle and it was love, very different by perception and the way it carried -- I rushed and acquired a large decant to include into the Blind Sniff. However, one sniffer did not recognize it -- and he claimed he knew it well enough -- he also said he would send me a drop of what he got and I am still waiting.

To sum it up: very much depends on a batch/year of production.

queen of the universe

On reading this thread I went to my sample box to revisit the 1ml decant sent to me by a kind basenotes member (belatedly, I learned to log who sent me what, this is a busy and generous bunch!). Civet, yes! For my money, as long as I can find vintage civet-laden scents like My Sin and Miss Dior, Ubar will be redundant.

The complaints I am reading leave me unenthused about pursuing the Amouage brand at all. I have a theory: luxury brands (as distinguished from niche), by definition aimed at the wealthy, are apt to be more hype than substance. Think of The Emperor's New Clothes; it's not called The Average Guys New Clothes for a reason, we average ones are not so easily duped.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Banned

I have bought my new Ubar 2 weeks ago and it has golden ring....its definately new shipment because this came directly from Oman, in the new shop here in Zagreb .....and reading your descriptions i think its unclear which versions you talk about:-)

Larimar how do you know which version you have? Maybe that is the new new versioin:-) , do you know when the person bought it?

Here is my pic

And i would say noone ever told me there are 2 new versions until i sniffed them:-) ......

The version i fell instantly in love was the one from 2009, and i got it in a sample from Whitefluffy (she bought it 1 year ago).....and that one has all the notes MimiGardenia lists.... this is how it smells to me:-) no civet note for sure or in minimum quantities, ambergriss i doubt any Amouage since 2009 has it:-) , i tried the real ambergriss from dear Mumsy

The new new version(bottle from the picture) has simpler base redominantly civet vanilla , and is less floral, more oriental:-) but i don't enjoy it that much....cuse i don't like dirty notes, i prefer it beeing clean, creamy lactonic like sandalwood is:-) ...and going to the Amouage website you suddenly see that the notes they list have changed from the mimi gardenia list! and its exactly how it smells now! It is a civet bomb:-) with vanilla, and strong citrus opening:-) ..so Amouage just changed it in an attempt to make it more similar to the original?? Or who knows for what reason.....and noone ever told me this :-)
    And since i know Larimar you like Jicky i kind of think this new version u would like more!:-) i.e. your bottle is the same as mine on pic, it is 100ml too??

And to add the older modern version opens more greenish, more liliy of the valley less citruses....almost lighter!but overall smell stronger

But the difference is obvious even to people who know nothing about perfumes:-) on side by side test( i did it on 2 friends both of whom are very average noses with no interest in perfumes:-) they both confirmed this: bottle from the pic is weaker and civety, they said yuk:-) , and for the old modern version that its better...exactly like i thought too, synthetic civet note is so different from the real one and i get it like something soar...and like glue, plasticky a bit...its not ugly! Just smells like i sweated and this was not what i smelled 1 st time i fell in love with it, and was so confused when people were talking about civet! What civet i thought are they crazy:-) ? All i was getting was beautiful lactonic creamy sandalwood and airy florals..very feminine ( and indeed it was not on amouage list back then as well!)

In the drydown they do converge massively, so after 4 hours, the older is more complex still tad like powdery but still balmy, the new new is just simple....and civet note doesn't smell good on me when my skin heats up, its much nicer on fabrics

Crazy Amouage how the play with us:-), they changed the list and they changed the perfume! So they don't lie technically speaking it was in front of our eyes the change:-) .....
    Last edited by iivanita; 12th February 2013 at 11:54 PM.

iivanita, I know the older (new) Ubar from two samples I had over the course of one year at least. When I finally bought a bottle in early 2011 I immediately noticed that it was thinner and in particular, the unique creaminess was gone. I attribute this creaminess and its outstanding (soft) longevity on my skin to ambergris. The newer (new) Ubar feels as if several notes were replaced, but the lush creaminess is what made it so very special.

Banned

ok but by the look of the bottle one can not say anything?
    how can one even differentiate them if not by smelling?
    i smelled perfume from 2009 in the old shop here in Zagreb who no longer has it and then from Whitefluffy...they were identical....

perfumes with good sandalwood are longlasting as well, for example i have Maharanih Intense....or Samsara...they all have this lush creaminess, and super longevity...i am almost sure noone uses real ambergris, in small quantities it would make no difference and in large it is too expencive....and that would also give it animalic smell and i dont fall for these things and am sure i would not love this much if it had anything animalic to it

this new bottle doesnt have sandalwood hence it smells so much different...and kind of more sweet, very civety...and more oriental...less floral....but thats all synthetic....its not real for sure....yes lush creamines is gone and replaced by sweet civet

so i was thinking from 2009 to 2012 amouage decides to chnage perfume? why? i thoght to make it more similar to the original?...or becasue of the price of ingredients?.. mysore sandalwood is also going out of the stock, so they had to change it?-----but they chnaged the listing of notes the same as they changed perfuem and i did not notice that...was not going after this

would be nice if someone else can say more to this...
    Last edited by iivanita; 13th February 2013 at 10:19 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Who knows? IFRA, shortage of materials compared to popularity of products?
    They just opened a new factory, so hopefully will employ some 'quality control' staff as the attars have also had more batch variation than is acceptable imo, price considered
    I have had some for ages, early relaunch & adore it!

Gold was most definitely watered down - the old 'mosque' bottle stuff is sadly nothing like the newer.

I think, as others have wisely said before, that Amouage scents are like vintage wines - variable.
    But that is normal with Middle East houses, so they may not have considered it a problem before people started complaining.
    Last edited by lpp; 18th February 2013 at 08:34 PM.

Banned

yes i fell in love with Amouage from 2009! now its 2013 ...

i would not mind batch variations if they use the same quantity of naturals all the time...but it feels they just skim it each year...after 4 years we have semi-skimmed perfumes hehe

Basenotes Plus

Maybe we should be grateful that we knew the 'oldies' - they seem to have become sort of 'standard issue' now, but as they seem to have moved away from natural ingredients, standardisation might follow!

'semi-skimmed' reference is cool!
    Last edited by lpp; 19th February 2013 at 07:36 PM.

it is 2014 now.... what should i expect if i buy it now? never tried it
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

I have not smelled the latest version, so who knows, but Amouage is reformulating. So certainly no blind buys or buys based on a sample of unknown vintage. The original was enormous, so it's still possible that the current one, while not as huge, it's still big enough - but one needs to check.

cacio

To clarify... the "old new" that was raved about is still in the modern bottle (minus magnetic cap), correct? I have a 50ml bottle that looks nothing like the new square bottle... or like any other amouage that I have seen. Like a polished stone of frosted glass that can be held in the hand. So is this not the initial re-issue, but in fact the 90s version? I did buy it online but had no idea it was THAT old.

And out of curiosity, how would the 90s version compare to the older (original) re-release that seems to be the most coveted batch?
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicolδi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

In another thread I read that the original Ubar (1995) was EDT. The "polished stone" I have clearly says EDP under the name on the bottle front... so maybe this is the 2009 re-release but prior to the new-style (rectangular) bottle switch across the entire line.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicolδi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

I have the latest version and despite its thinness, I still love wearing it.