Code of Conduct

Default Histoires de Parfums Range Of Fragrances

I have managed to obtain six samples from the range of fragrances from this house and below is my intial impressions having spent some time wearing each of the scents.

It opens with a lemony grapefruit fresh spicyness with a touch of licorice. After that I can detect lavender with anise coming through with a light woodyness in the
    background. This scent is so very light and soft that it was hard to detect at first then it bloomed on my skin.

After a while I am picking up vanille underneath the spicy freshness. This fragrance reminds me of Invasion Barbare but with the violet removed and the notes toned
    down and refined.

I like this as it is really well crafted and the ingredients are top notch. And as time has moved on from my above intial impressions the soft fresh vanille aspect
    becomes more prounouced in the basenotes and surrounds you in a halo of lovelyness.

So to sum up I do love its spicy woody freshness in the opening and soft vanille sweetness in the basenotes. And I get six to seven hours in longevity.

Well this opens with a boozy cumin/oakmoss type of smell and then gets leathery with what smells like brown sugar mixed in. I do not know what to make of this one
    as I'm now picking up a mahogany woody smell with spices mixed together. This is unequal to me that I have not smelled its like before.

I got to say it does have that old world vibe going on and you could imagine people wearing this hundreds of years ago. As time moves on It goes from a boozy spice
    to a leathery sweet tobacco with that mahogany woodyness.

I do like it and the opening does remind me of Puredistance M before it moves in another direction with its boozy/leathery spice.

So to sum up this one is a very boozy spicy leathery woody masculine fragrance that lasts nine to ten hours on my skin. Its unequal and has that old world vibe to it.

This starts with citrus notes then a very dry pine note appears very soon after which is joined by a blast of cool soothing eucalyptus. As time goes by I'm picking
    up a mixture of the pine and grapefruit notes with eucalyptus in the background. The menthol aspect and pine together with woods coming into play with incense make
    this fragrance interesting.

Though to be honest these fragrance accords are not to my taste though this would be worth sampling if you like these notes in a scent. Again everything is so well
    blended and the ingredients are top notch.

So to sum up a dry pine menthol fragrance with incense and woods which smells good and different from a lot of fragrances on the shelves. I got about six to seven
    hours with this one.

Lol..... Peach and rose with chocolate all mixed together is what I am getting on first application. It smells weird and unatural and a bit sickly. It gets a bit
    floral but the peach is still there. After a while it starts to smell like the vinyl which a lilo is made from which you use on the sea while on vacation.

I'm thinking that this fragrance may be better suited for women than a manly man.lol...... The peach note is getting stronger and this fragrance is a fruity
    gourmand that is not to my taste. I'm going to have to scrub this off my skin.lol

To sum up a fruity peachy chocolate floral gourmand which may be better suited for women than a man. Longevity is unknown as I scrubbed this one early.

Ambre 114

Ahhhh man this is gorgeous! A sandalwood and a beautiful creamy light sweet Amber with a touch of vanille is what I'm getting from this. I am now picking up
    a rose note within this beautiful mix. This scent is just enchanting and really divine to your olfactory senses. And it never overpowers or gets sickly
    sweet but just sits right on the skin giving you that perfect satisfaction.

I have to say this is the best ever ambre fragrance that I have ever smelled. The way the dry sandalwood mixes in with the amber and that touch of vanille is
    a work of genious. And the way the creator has managed to get that floral aspect too it with the rose is amazing. Full bottle worthy without any hesitation.

To sum up a gorgeous stunning creamy sandalwood amber fragrance which stands tall over most amber based fragrances.

Noir Patchouli

A heavy dose of patchouli and leather is what I'm picking up in the opening. The leather in this smells like new leather shoes and goes well with
    the patchouli. This is a dark fragrance though I am now picking up the florals which have started to overpower the new shoes leather accord.

These florals smell like Pot Pourri and have started to overpower the patchouli and leather accord after the opening goodness. (bring back the leather and patchouli).

After a good while a white musk accord starts too take over from the floral pot pourri and you get a little bit of the leather and patchouli back, too little though.

I love the opening of this fragrance as the patchouli and new shoes leather accord give you a dark and mysterious promise of things to come. Then the show is spoiled
    in the midnotes with that floral pot pourri which drowns everything out. Its downhill from there for me which is a damn shame as this fragrance held so much potential
    from its opening accord.

To sum up a missed opportunity where the great opening is spoiled by floral pot porri notes. I get severals hours longevity from this one.

In Conclusion......

This is a fantastic house for fragrances to be sure and all the fragrances I have tried have been well blended and of good quality.

If I had to pick my top three it would be :

1. Ambree 114 - Absolutely bottle worthy without a doubt. Gorgeous!
    2. 1725 - I really like its spicy woody freshness in the opening and soft vanille sweetness in the basenotes.
    3. 1740 - I would not buy this though I like it and appreciate its spicy boozy leatheryness.

And the great thing is all six 2ml samples can be had for 10 Euros from the Histoires de Parfums website which is a good deal.

Here's the link if anyone is interested in obtaining these samples:

http://www.histoiresdeparfums.com/in...ue-samples.php

Default Re: Histoires de Parfums Range Of Fragrances

Good reviews. I tried about six from the line and my favorite was 1725 (bought travel bottle.) Also liked 1828 and A114.

Those are the three that I have in my wardrobe, they are great and I think I'd put them in that order too, great reviews BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have managed to obtain six samples from the range of fragrances from this house and below is my intial impressions having spent some time wearing each of the scents.

It opens with a lemony grapefruit fresh spicyness with a touch of licorice. After that I can detect lavender with anise coming through with a light woodyness in the
    background. This scent is so very light and soft that it was hard to detect at first then it bloomed on my skin.

After a while I am picking up vanille underneath the spicy freshness. This fragrance reminds me of Invasion Barbare but with the violet removed and the notes toned
    down and refined.

I like this as it is really well crafted and the ingredients are top notch. And as time has moved on from my above intial impressions the soft fresh vanille aspect
    becomes more prounouced in the basenotes and surrounds you in a halo of lovelyness.

So to sum up I do love its spicy woody freshness in the opening and soft vanille sweetness in the basenotes. And I get six to seven hours in longevity.

Well this opens with a boozy cumin/oakmoss type of smell and then gets leathery with what smells like brown sugar mixed in. I do not know what to make of this one
    as I'm now picking up a mahogany woody smell with spices mixed together. This is unequal to me that I have not smelled its like before.

I got to say it does have that old world vibe going on and you could imagine people wearing this hundreds of years ago. As time moves on It goes from a boozy spice
    to a leathery sweet tobacco with that mahogany woodyness.

I do like it and the opening does remind me of Puredistance M before it moves in another direction with its boozy/leathery spice.

So to sum up this one is a very boozy spicy leathery woody masculine fragrance that lasts nine to ten hours on my skin. Its unequal and has that old world vibe to it.

This starts with citrus notes then a very dry pine note appears very soon after which is joined by a blast of cool soothing eucalyptus. As time goes by I'm picking
    up a mixture of the pine and grapefruit notes with eucalyptus in the background. The menthol aspect and pine together with woods coming into play with incense make
    this fragrance interesting.

Though to be honest these fragrance accords are not to my taste though this would be worth sampling if you like these notes in a scent. Again everything is so well
    blended and the ingredients are top notch.

So to sum up a dry pine menthol fragrance with incense and woods which smells good and different from a lot of fragrances on the shelves. I got about six to seven
    hours with this one.

Lol..... Peach and rose with chocolate all mixed together is what I am getting on first application. It smells weird and unatural and a bit sickly. It gets a bit
    floral but the peach is still there. After a while it starts to smell like the vinyl which a lilo is made from which you use on the sea while on vacation.

I'm thinking that this fragrance may be better suited for women than a manly man.lol...... The peach note is getting stronger and this fragrance is a fruity
    gourmand that is not to my taste. I'm going to have to scrub this off my skin.lol

To sum up a fruity peachy chocolate floral gourmand which may be better suited for women than a man. Longevity is unknown as I scrubbed this one early.

Ambre 114

Ahhhh man this is gorgeous! A sandalwood and a beautiful creamy light sweet Amber with a touch of vanille is what I'm getting from this. I am now picking up
    a rose note within this beautiful mix. This scent is just enchanting and really divine to your olfactory senses. And it never overpowers or gets sickly
    sweet but just sits right on the skin giving you that perfect satisfaction.

I have to say this is the best ever ambre fragrance that I have ever smelled. The way the dry sandalwood mixes in with the amber and that touch of vanille is
    a work of genious. And the way the creator has managed to get that floral aspect too it with the rose is amazing. Full bottle worthy without any hesitation.

To sum up a gorgeous stunning creamy sandalwood amber fragrance which stands tall over most amber based fragrances.

Noir Patchouli

A heavy dose of patchouli and leather is what I'm picking up in the opening. The leather in this smells like new leather shoes and goes well with
    the patchouli. This is a dark fragrance though I am now picking up the florals which have started to overpower the new shoes leather accord.

These florals smell like Pot Pourri and have started to overpower the patchouli and leather accord after the opening goodness. (bring back the leather and patchouli).

After a good while a white musk accord starts too take over from the floral pot pourri and you get a little bit of the leather and patchouli back, too little though.

I love the opening of this fragrance as the patchouli and new shoes leather accord give you a dark and mysterious promise of things to come. Then the show is spoiled
    in the midnotes with that floral pot pourri which drowns everything out. Its downhill from there for me which is a damn shame as this fragrance held so much potential
    from its opening accord.

To sum up a missed opportunity where the great opening is spoiled by floral pot porri notes. I get severals hours longevity from this one.

In Conclusion......

This is a fantastic house for fragrances to be sure and all the fragrances I have tried have been well blended and of good quality.

If I had to pick my top three it would be :

1. Ambree 114 - Absolutely bottle worthy without a doubt. Gorgeous!
    2. 1725 - I really like its spicy woody freshness in the opening and soft vanille sweetness in the basenotes.
    3. 1740 - I would not buy this though I like it and appreciate its spicy boozy leatheryness.

And the great thing is all six 2ml samples can be had for 10 Euros from the Histoires de Parfums website which is a good deal.

Here's the link if anyone is interested in obtaining these samples:

http://www.histoiresdeparfums.com/in...ue-samples.php
    Have these six in large bottles (120ml) + Tubereuse III and think they're all great.

I have 1725, 1828, and Ambre 114. The latter is a hidden gem. Now try their rock star which is Ambrarem.
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

Thanks for the reviews Jack. I do love Casanova and Marquis de Sade is a real one off and great in winter on my skin. You've really got me interested in A114. Sounds beautiful!
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post-really informative.

I've been thinking about trying out HDP and this was very helpful. Thanks

I think I agree with your choice. I am rather intrigued though by Noir Patchouli, but the gourmandish base rather puts me off.

I have travel bottles of 1828, 1725 and 1969 and I like them in that order. I thought I liked 1740 when first sprayed but I couldn't bear the strong immortelle. Ambre 114 and Noir Patchouli I found too sweet.

Thanks for the reviews. I have always been interested in this house but it is always on the back of my to try list. 1740 and Ambre 114 are now at the top!!

And don't get forget Ambrarem. I love it, too.

Great house, great nose, and quality materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    And don't get forget Ambrarem. I love it, too.
    Ambrarem is outstanding.

Banned

nice job Jack !!!

Ambrarem = best release of 2011.
    My top 16:

1. Joop! - Homme 2. Puredistance - M
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco vanille 4. Tom Ford - Neroli portofino
    5. Tauer - L'air de desert marocaine 6. Armani Privé - Ambre orient
    7. Bond - Harrod's oud 8. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    9. Parf. Brückner - Aoud 1 10. Clive Christian - X
    11.Xerjoff - Regio 12. Lush - Breath of God
    13. M.Micaleff - Art collec. 102 14. Armani Privé - Figuier eden
    15. Nasomatto - Pardon 16. Heeley - Oranges and lemons ...

How does Ambrarem differ from Ambre 114?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    This is a fantastic house...

I'll second the Ambrarem suggestion and I'll add Petroleum as another big winner in their range. If you like tuberose, you should also give a chance to Tubereuse 1 and 3.

@Hedonist: Ambrarem shares the same combination of "bold structure / weightless result" of Ambre 114 but it's bolder, animalic and with a tad of oud. The latter is more of a classic spicy-oriental. They're both extremely well balanced.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I did look for samples of the three Editions Rare range including Ambrarem but they did not do samples of these unfortunately. Though I am very intrigued by Ambrarem, will have look out for a sample of it.

Thanks for the reviews! I received the exact same samples this week, but so far only tried Ambre 114. I'm not a big amber fan as it usually turns out way to sweet and powdery on me but I have to say I really like this one. It's well blended and not TOO sweet, quite wearable for me actually...

Those are the exact six samples I ordered from them last summer. Good choices!

Great house IMO, the ones I tried were awesome.

I really value your reviews, Jack, based on our mutual admiration for APOM and Lumiere Noir. So I'm glad to see you head-over-heels for Ambre 114 -- I just bought it blind during Anthropologie's clearance sale.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Sound Scents

Thanks for the great reviews, Jack. Ambre 114 sounds incredible. 1740 sounds interesting too.
    Last edited by drseid; 19th February 2012 at 08:01 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I do like Ambre 114, but find it fairly linear in its development.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    I really value your reviews, Jack, based on our mutual admiration for APOM and Lumiere Noir. So I'm glad to see you head-over-heels for Ambre 114 -- I just bought it blind during Anthropologie's clearance sale.
    Good purchase and thanks I'm glad you find them helpful. I have been sampling Ambre 114 again today and love how the dry sandalwood mixes in with the amber. I also find the sweetness to be in the goldilocks zone been just right. This is a really lovely fragrance.

Wow, these reviews are terrific! Thanks. I really enjoyed reading them. Twice actually, and I am sure that I will come back to them. Would you post them as reviews Jack?

Actually I agree with absolutely everything that you say about these fragrances (with the exeption of Noir Patchouli, I haven't spent enough time on that one). Seriously, regarding the others you have had the same experience with every one of them that I had, you have interpreted them the same way. Now I am not the type of person who needs to agree, or be agreed with. On the contrary!! But it is great sometimes to have your thoughts and impressions validated by another Basenoter, particularly one with the experience that you have!!

I have 1828, just the little bottle, I love that bracing opening and the pine/vetiver accord. Can I ask you something? I am not interested in gender in fragrance, but I must say that I do find this to be quite "masculine". Do you? I think that it would wear beautifully on a man, but maybe a little, well, predictable. My partner thinks that it smells nice but he wouldn't want to wear it. BUT when you juxtapose it with a feminine woman, it takes a half turn somewhere and it is unexpected, fabulous!! Do you see what I mean?

I also have 1876 ,a dusty, spicy, pot pourri - like, rose and immortelle that I am always hoping that one of the guys would review, (I blow hot and cold about it). I couldnt agree more about the Amber 114. It is very beautiful, a shimmering glorious thing, and yes yes yes, there is that stage when you realise....it is rose!....there is a beautiful rose in this amber. It is on my wish list.

1969 wasn't a personal favourite either. I likened it to a big peach smoothie!

HDP used to do a little perspex box of samples of everything in the range. I still have it. The melange of notes when I open it is actually intoxicating. The samples go such a long way don't they? You can get a few full wears out of them. I think that says a lot about the quality of the materials.

I think that generally the fragrances in this range are skillfully constructed out of beautiful materials. Will you get some more samples please?!

Hi Foustie I'm glad you enjoyed my reviews as it has been a joy getting my nose around these wonderful well crafted fragrances. I have posted them as reviews as well which saves time writing them out again.

With 1828 it's the pine and vetiver notes that do move it towards the masculine side slightly though I think the menthol and grapefruit notes balance things out. And I think a women could easily wear this one as the pine and vetiver accord is not done with a heavy hand.

I have been wearing 1740 again today and noticed how the boozy notes withdraw and become prominent during the life of the fragrance like the tides of the sea. I'm liking it more and more.

I wish I could have obtained the three fragrances from the Editions Rare range but they did not have them on the site. I will keep a look out for them.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 21st February 2012 at 08:34 AM.

I have a full bottle of 1740 and it's quickly moving up the ranks. The buttery leather dry down is something else.

Thank You Jack. Yes boys, the 1740, booze, tobacco and leather. As I have said before, it makes me think of the early days of motor car racing and early James Bond!

Aw come on Jack, do the Mata Hari!

I think that brown sugar note you got from 1740 is the immortelle. That sweetness kind of killed it for me, although I think I should re-test at some point.

Thanks so much for the reviews, anyhow. I think I'll pull out my collection of HdP samples again!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the very informative reviews, Jack. The timing is perfect; my wife and I were at Aedes (NYC) yesterday and tested some of the fragrances from HdP. I haven't smelled/tried Invasion Barbare, but I really like 1725. Your review is spot-on.

I will be coming back there and will have a copy of your reviews handy for reference.