Code of Conduct

Default Bottega Veneta EDP

Was in Vegas this week at the City center and stopped by the Bottega Veneta store. The female I was with fell in love with this one, as did I, so i bought both of us a bottle which she thought was odd lol (another story). We tried all sorts of new things from Hermes, Tom Ford and on and on. We both seemed attracted to BV the most. This one is marketed to women but have you guys given this a try ? Its very nice plum, patchouli and leather. Im going to wear it today but this great stuff on card and hope some of you get a chance to try this one.

Default Re: Bottega Veneta EDP

I was a little disappointed with this after reading so many glowing reviews. I got the patchouli and plum, but no real leather. I found it just so-so.

It's not bad, but far from special. As gandhajala pointed out it is a patchouli affair and no leather.

In the grand scheme of things this one is very pleasant. There is very little leather but I do get some and not read anything about this one before we sniffed it. Pleasant surprise, glad I picked it up.

Sur la Plage

It was one of the best designer releases of 2011 IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Weak and lackluster. Typical designer scent. Not even worth a decant.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Weak and lackluster. Typical designer scent. Not even worth a decant.

You never like any of them.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

If you're the sort who loves stuff like Puredistance M, I suppose BV is a far cry. I own a bottle of Bottega Veneta, I think it's wonderful. Reminds me somewhat of SL Daim Blond which is another of my favorites. The leather note in BV is more a textural nuance - suede-like or nubuck. If you can manage that bit of expectation you'll be in for a treat. Otherwise, you're in for some disappointment. Anyway every fragrance has its share of detractors. Just 'screw' 'em & enjoy your bottle, Nersh!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    It was one of the best designer releases of 2011 IMO.
    I agree, and so did my wife. It wasn't my favorite for the year, and I didn't get a bottle, but it was definitely in my top five on the women's counter. And an impressive debut scent, too. I'll admit that the leather is very soft and restrained, but that's the way I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    If you're the sort who loves stuff like Puredistance M, I suppose BV is a far cry. I own a bottle of Bottega Veneta, I think it's wonderful. Reminds me somewhat of SL Daim Blond which is another of my favorites. The leather note in BV is more a textural nuance - suede-like or nubuck. If you can manage that bit of expectation you'll be in for a treat. Otherwise, you're in for some disappointment. Anyway every fragrance has its share of detractors. Just 'screw' 'em & enjoy your bottle, Nersh!
    This comment I'm sure was implied for me, because I'm the "M" man. No problem. I'll tell you my little story about Bottega Veneta. I have a lot of repect for Octavian Coifan's knowledge and reviews of scent. I don't always agree, but many times I do. I read his glowing review and was yearning to sample it.

I was vacationing in Chicago and had a chance to sample along with my wife (whose nose I really trust) I sprayed some on her and some on myself. We both were not wearing any other perfume because we knew we were going to sample it. We both were blown away at how typical designer it, and continued talking about how "boring" it was. I truly just wanted to like this, but I had be to honest with myself and admit it wasn't for me or my wife.

I totally agree with your comment "every fragrance has its share of detractors. Just 'screw' 'em & enjoy your bottle." If we all liked the same things, life would be boring. I enjoy some disagreement here on Basenotes. It makes things more interesting. We all need to trust our own noses and enjoy the scents that please our noses.

I was expecting Bottega Veneta's EDP to match the quality of their purses, and sadly it doesn't. Funny thing is Puredistance M matches the quality.
    Last edited by thebeck; 19th February 2012 at 11:40 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I'm sorry if my earlier comments came off the wrong way. No hard feelings ok? i don't follow Octavian's reviews. Anyway i must concede on the 'boring' aspect brought up by thebeck. As nice as I find it there isn't much development to keep your interest. But I feel it works well enough as a pleasant screensaver-style frag for daily wear.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    This comment I'm sure was implied for me, because I'm the "M" man. No problem. I'll tell you my little story about Bottega Veneta. I have a lot of repect for Octavian Coifan's knowledge and reviews of scent. I don't always agree, but many times I do. I read his glowing review and was yearning to sample it.
    Octavian has a very interesting and well-reasoned view of individual fragrances, but - for me - his viewpoint almost never translates - at least not logically. He is horrified by things that barely register for me, and falls in love with specifics and generalities that I can only describe as ephemeral and inconsequential. I enjoy seeing the things that he points out, but I am eternally thankful that I don't have the same reaction. He's definitely an art critic with an artist's temperament.

I smelled this today and damn is it good. I've had 1 spray on for about five hours and its going pretty strong still. Can't stop sniffing it either. Love it.

I thought it was quite good too. I was very surprised when told it was a women's scent, as there are a lot of unisex scents that smell more feminine than this one.

Curiously, the sales lady was telling me how the scent ingredients related to Tuscany. I said that was strange as Veneto, which I visit all the time, is nowhere near Tuscany.
    Regards,
    Renato

It's a great fragrance, but it's similar to Armani Prive Cuir Amethyste. This is on my to-buy list at some point, but other scents are ahead of it.

BV is a true unisex.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

i must say i really enjoyed this one and raced through my sample. in the end though, i began to find it maybe a wee pinch too sweet. daim blond (another apricot suede) edges this one out, but the competition is close.