Code of Conduct

Default Bleu de Chanel alternatives

If I like Bleu de Chanel and would like something like it, yet a bit more exciting, what would be good alternatives?

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel alternatives

Polo blue smells kind of similar, and I like it more. Also, ever try Gucci by Gucci?
    Current top 3:
    1) Gucci Pour Homme II
    2) Givenchy Play Intense
    3) Dolce & Gabbana The One

F Black by Salvatore Ferragamo.

Also, it cost half the price

Carbone de Balmain

Carbone de Balmain? Really? I'm curious, because I don't see the similarities.

Creed Erolfa. If you want something exciting but won't get compliments buy something from a line such as Comme de Garcons. If you want something that smells good and gets a ton of compliments stick with Bleu.
    Last edited by silentrich; 18th February 2012 at 10:37 PM.

Blog Entries

I love Bleu, and I don't really know too many things exactly like it. But a couple of Bonds share some overall similarity - they're sort of "powdery woody modern mainstream" like Bleu. Bond no. 9 I<3NY For Him (more mainstream) and Bond no. 9 Harrods For Him (more niche, with some nice violet leaf). I think that Rocawear Evolution is a wee bit like Bleu. And of course the other Chanels, particularly Chanel Homme Edition Blanche, but that's far more of a lemon scent.

Edition Blanche and Harrods for Him get the most respect around here, and are fairly exciting, so they're worth checking out.

I absolutely hated Bleu, I found it completely cloying and generic. I tried it a while back in an effort too replace Contradiction as my officewear scent, and it never happened. I don't know what it is, but there's some inky note in it that I find absolutely unpalatable. Polo Blue would work, you could also, as I mentioned go for CK line like Contradiction or CK Shock. I'mn so let down by the Chanel men's line, it's so blah...

Git
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I hope this Thread blossoms as I would be very interested to learn more and fill in the gaps with some of the names of the works that have led to all the 'generic' and 'smelled this before' comments about Bleu and then actually compare a few. It's not a style I am that familiar with.

Before I tried Bleu de Chanel I kept reading about how "generic" and how its "been done". Then I actually bought a bottle and still havent smelled anything close to it.

If BdC was a new Creed fragrance people would go crazy for it and it would be hip/unique to the online fragrance elitist snobs.

mr. reasonable: This is chanel's attempt to do the GIT/Cool Water fresh fougere, it's just put together in a super pedestrian way. I mean if you've smelled any "blue" fragrance, you've smelled this one.

jeightseven: Are you kidding? It's Chanel, that's a top tier brand, and arguably more prestigious than the faux provenance and feigned sophistication that is Creed. It's not a brand issue it's a "your men's line, with 2 exceptions sucks, and from a company that defined modern perfumery we expect better" issue.

Bleu reminds me of a musty high school locker room, masked by expensive body sprays. Probably just me though-a personal association.

But I'll tell you one thing. I'd feel better buying a Chanel product at retail price than a retail priced Creed, simply because the price point is reasonable BUT also because it's hard to find many (authentic) Chanel products discounted online. So I know I'm getting my money's worth with Chanel at retail price. With Creed, not so much.

JUST SAYYYYYIN....

Goodnight.
    Last edited by G Man; 19th February 2012 at 07:42 AM.

YSL L'Homme Libre and Biotherm Homme Force have the same vibe as Bleu de Chanel

Bleu de Chanel alternatives? Easy! You can just pick any of the boring, insignificant, indifferent, fresh, acqua designer fragrance you find in most perfumer`s shop all over the world..

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    mr. reasonable: This is chanel's attempt to do the GIT/Cool Water fresh fougere, it's just put together in a super pedestrian way. I mean if you've smelled any "blue" fragrance, you've smelled this one.

jeightseven: Are you kidding? It's Chanel, that's a top tier brand, and arguably more prestigious than the faux provenance and feigned sophistication that is Creed. It's not a brand issue it's a "your men's line, with 2 exceptions sucks, and from a company that defined modern perfumery we expect better" issue.
    But this is a subjective statement. I think Allure smells great, while I dislike Anteus (I'm guessing anteus & egoiste are your 2 exceptions).

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Bleu de Chanel alternatives? Easy! You can just pick any of the boring, insignificant, indifferent, fresh, acqua designer fragrance you find in most perfumer`s shop all over the world..
    or this - it's definitely more exciting

Last edited by petruccijc; 19th February 2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    or this - it's definitely more exciting

Joe - I'm not kidding - Evian was the first thing that came to my mind. You beat me to it. Love the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    lmao

And basenotes members wonder why they're referred to as fragrance snobs. Seems like Bleu de Chanel brings out the best of em.

Maybe Dior Homme Sport. They don't smell the same, but I'd consider them in the same league/genre. I think Bleu is a little more versatile but DHS perhaps a little more 'exciting' as you mentioned you were looking for.

DHS focuses on ginger and grapefruit.

Personally, I love both of them.

If you like "blue type" scents, just stick with Bleu. The others are generally terrible. Most of the people commenting here don't like them. I certainly don't.

But what the hell, I'll mention one exception: Bulgari Blu. It's the only blue-type scent I wear. Most people don't like it, but I find its gingery fresh smell very soothing, like a well worn piece of clothing that you wear when you're down. But saying I like it probably brands me as dull.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    Bleu reminds me of a musty high school locker room, masked by expensive body sprays. Probably just me though-a personal association.
    I think you're absolutely right - and that this is key to the problems with this scent. There is some dirty vetiver and skanky musk under the hood, covered up by a lot of powdery, girly and very typical Chanel stuff, as well as some mainstream "blue", aquatic notes. For some of us, the contrasting and barely detectable dirty stuff is making it very interesting. But if people are put off by the whole package.... well, I'm not surprised. I don't think the critics of this scent are missing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    YSL L'Homme Libre and Biotherm Homme Force have the same vibe as Bleu de Chanel
    I haven't tried the latter, but I agree that Libre was trying to follow Bleu's path. There is definitely a similar vibe. I can even say that - for me - both fragrances were hard to love at first. But they seem to get to that vibe in very different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Maybe Dior Homme Sport. They don't smell the same, but I'd consider them in the same league/genre. I think Bleu is a little more versatile but DHS perhaps a little more 'exciting' as you mentioned you were looking for.

DHS focuses on ginger and grapefruit.

Personally, I love both of them.
    Yup - good call. I agree - Dior Homme Sport was definitely in the same class. The main difference (to me) is that the marketing for DHS didn't really try to differentiate it from the main lineup, whereas with Bleu, Chanel took the opposite approach, and embraced the "blue" difference with real vigor. But Chanel could have easily done Bleu as some kind of Allure Super-Sport flanker and gotten away with it.

I'm very curious to see what happens with Spicebomb, because I think that something like it, but a little more "Chanel", could have been done as an Égoïste extension, rather than Bleu as an Allure extension. My hunch is that Spicebomb may do well, but that it won't ever catch up with the success of Bleu. However, it might encourage more experimentation in the men's line at Chanel. I think Spicebomb shows what is *possible* in a men's designer release right now.

To me Guerlain Homme Intense has similiar vibe as Bleu, but more sophisticated.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Millesime Imperial
    3. Lalique Encre Noire

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    Currently wearing: Nightflight by Joop!

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to respond, I do understand this is sort of the common take on Bleu. My interest is maybe more academic, because the Chanel was created by Polge for a very specific demographic, he was perfectly up front about the target market, and being Chanel, there is an undeniable access to quality ingredients, not to mention a marketing budget and international distribution that would leave many companies breathless. The fact that I don't wear blue or fresh scents is neither here nor there - I'm just interested to know more about what are considered comparable in quality and style in this genre, or if Chanel has turned out a 'top of class' in the genre.

I tried a left / right with some 2010 GIT yesterday and preferred Chanel (despite having worn GIT in the mid 90s a lot and being quite familiar with it) but I also suspect GIT is a little thinner on the ground than it was 15 years ago. Purely research for me - no emotional investment in this one at all

PS I keep meaning to go and sniff Tiffany for Men Sport again and see if there is any relation to Bleu - both from the same composer and I do remember thinking the Tiffany Sport was a good take on that style.

Anyone?
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 20th February 2012 at 04:22 AM.

[QUOTE=G Man;2459744]Bleu reminds me of a musty high school locker room, masked by expensive body sprays.QUOTE]

This is my impression as well. I remarked in some old thread somewhere that Bleu is fresh and somehow sweaty at the same time.

My biggest issue with the fragrance is not the overall smell, though, but longevity problems.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Banned

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain - In the refreshing opening, one is immediately treated to a sublime, mojito cocktail, with its quasi-bitter lime, bewitching rum and herbal mint leaf. This invigorating brew flows to the waiting middle. Here, in the heart, a clean and fresh green tea, along with a tart and leafy rhubarb, as well as a semi-sweet bergamot subsumes the boozy mix, while a captivating pelargonium imparts its muted, flowery geranium aspects. The subdued melange meanders to the awaiting base. Taintless vetiver, with its chaste dirt and grassiness, coupled with a rich and dry cedar, along with a bitter-sweet lime as well as a hint of sweetness usurp the humbled melange, and commence its inviting drydown. This uneventful composition, albeit it possesses quality ingredients, is not nuanced enough to make it stand out in its genre. A spring and summer scent, it has average projection and longevity.