Code of Conduct

Question Polo v. Polo Crest

I've recently tried the discontinued Polo Crest and was wondering how it differed from the original Polo. To me it seems quite similar albeit lighter and less complicated. I'm not quite sure it's worth the investment for a full bottle.

Default Re: Polo v. Polo Crest

I just got an 80s Polo bottle and I've had Crest for a while. I only smelled the sprayer on the Polo. I'm guessing Crest is more floral (jasmine especially) and more ambery, but less herbal and mossy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I've recently tried the discontinued Polo Crest and was wondering how it differed from the original Polo. To me it seems quite similar albeit lighter and less complicated. I'm not quite sure it's worth the investment for a full bottle.
    I think you've pretty much said it. You may just want to consider the more recent Polo Modern Reserve - particularly if you like leather notes. I personally would not buy Crest at this point. I think I appreciate the original Polo much more these days.

I'm not a fan of MR. It doesn't have the richness, complexity, naturalness, etc. of PC or vintage Polo. If you like a kind or herbal/jasmine suede idea (with what comes across to me as a "synthetic" quality), though, MR may be for you.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Truly a lighter version of the original Polo. Much as i like Modern Reserve and though i have the similar smelling Chevignon Brand, Polo Crest still remains the best (and original) of them all and worthy of investment.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I agree with Perfaddict. Polo crest is a great men's fragrance that is softer than the original polo but has a real class to it. It has a lovely 'creamy' quality to it- smooth and herbal with a real masculine edge. One of my best fragrances.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Truly a lighter version of the original Polo. Much as i like Modern Reserve and though i have the similar smelling Chevignon Brand, Polo Crest still remains the best (and original) of them all and worthy of investment.
    Is Modern Reserve still in production?

Sound Scents

I own vintage bottles of both. I absolutely love the original Polo, but I have never warmed to Polo Crest (or any of the others, for that matter).
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

IMO Polo and Polo Crest (both vintage) have different character.
    The former is green-mossy-leathery and heavy enough, the latter - dry flowery-herbal-woody and quite restrained.
    I love them both.

Regards, Odor.

I have all three. MR seems to have a note in it that really dulls it down in comparison to the others. That doesn't make it a "dull" fragrance, but rather not as sharp. Crest is brighter in feel, citrus notes on top giving it that vibe. Polo is the most "brooding" scent of the three, having a darker, sharper edge. I would say it feels perhaps the most formal of the three, but Crest more classy, if that makes sense.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Just buy (vintage) Chevignon, the Whiskey bottle. Way cheaper and completely similar to Crest...............

My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

I also have all three and really like Crest and Modern Reserve.....Polo is a Great fragrance.....I just like the other 2 better!!!
    Gary

I also have & love all three, with the original being the least 'wearable' these days. Crest is getting ever harder to find though, so I consider mine a very good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Is Modern Reserve still in production?
    I don't if it's still being made, but it's readily available. It does seem to be getting more expensive online.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Just buy (vintage) Chevignon, the Whiskey bottle. Way cheaper and completely similar to Crest...............

I have heard this claim about a lot of frags, but then I am disappointed. And this one isn't cheap. I got 2 ounces of PC for about the same price as 100 ml of the Chevignon. I wasn't going to take the chance that only the top notes were similar, as is so often the case. Chevignon may satisfy most people, even most BNers, but I doubt I would think it has as good a base as PC.

I just finished writing up a review of PMR, not more than 20 minutes before seeing this thread:

I don't have my Polo Crest anymore or I'd so a side-by-side. It had been such a long time since I'd sampled PMR, that I was expecting more greenery and less leather, so I'm questioning my previous treatment of it as a summer scent; now I'd say it's a good intermediate for all seasons. It starts out as a very light, well-behaved spearmint with an Antaeus-like leather underneath, and surprisingly a bit of fruit, which to me is a lot like the banana in Acier Aluminium. This stuff, even moreso than Crest, turns the old drill sargeant's piney leather belcher of Polo into a usable fragrance; Crest did it largely with summery wintergreen, which I can only take so much of, but PMR does it with an interesing mix of summery and wintery notes. The sweet florals in the mid-notes remind me of Van Cleef and Arpels or Hammam Bouquet, which I don't like, but the leather reminds me of Parfum d'Habit, which I find very true-to-life. Plus there's some wood and pine needles, but it's from a lush, magnificent old growth forest, not the sort of "hey guys, we have a few pine trees too in New Mexico," bone-dry, scrubby forests of Yatagan. I also think it nails this genre better than Eucris because it includes more sweet spices and less astringent herbs.