Code of Conduct

Default It's here: Spicebomb hits Canada!

They say that the journey there is half the fun...

Although we had heard that SP's official release date here was the 28th of this month, a cold call proved that a little undercover work could yield quicker results.

I headed over, with a mission in mind, to La Baie in the outskirts of the city to nab the pre-premier sample I had been promised over the phone. The SA furtively handed me the tiny sample, not wanting to be too overt about it. I inquired whether a tester was available; the answer sadly no, only those few samples the company had provided. Now I understood why she was meting them out with such paucity (I had brazenly asked for two!)

Dejectedly, sauntering my way down the main aisle of the bustling cosmetics area, I suddenly heard a gaggle of voices behind me, a small crowd gathering. "What's it called?" a woman asked excitedly in French. "Spicebomb!" the SA exclaimed, arrmed with a tiny green grenade in hand, Again the question, the customer not understanding. "What? ("Comment, comment?" in French.) "Spicebomb! Spicebomb!"

Already a good 40 feet away from the counter and prepared to crack open my sample even before making it to the car, I made an about-face. Rushing back to the V&A counter, the lovely Lulu, another SA, was spritzing out the mouillettes to passers-by with great abandon, calling out at the top of her voice, "Spicebomb, Spicebomb, available at the end of the month!"

Missing the opening I had prepared for her under my t-shirt, Lulu sprayed me once, and then again, and I asked for another, just to make sure. Three generous hits to my chest area. What more could I have wanted - mission accomplished.

It's would be impossible for me to describe my initial reaction to you fully, in under a thousands words at least, but I'm sure I can muster a few: Like the most beautiful rose or tulip or poppy you could hope for in the height of summer, Spicebomb opens lushly and generously. Prepare to be transported. I remember how excited I had been at the release of Chanel's Égoiste 20 years ago. SP had succeeded in recreating that exact moment.

A full wearing since yesterday at 3:00 pm reveals that it has excellent longevity, a delightful candy-like rose and pipe tobacco backdrop, retaining a little of its predecessor Antidote with a gentle nod to the headiness of Annick Menardo's creation, Potion, from last fall. It's clever, rewarding, subtle yet evident, an exercise in contrasts.

Reapplication last night made it apparent that I would want to purchase the smaller format, when it becomes available of course, at the end of the month!

Best regards to my fellow BNoters!
    Last edited by mariodefior; 19th February 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: It's here: Spicebomb hits Canada!

^^^ Great report! Thanks for that! It's really great when a fragrance is truly deserving of its own launch mania, and I think Spicebomb easily lives up to its own hype.

Yes - three or four sprays of this one are a LOT of fun. I'm enjoying the easy ability of this fragrance to get compliments from the wife.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW...this little hand granade is causing quite a stir everywhere. The notes sound great.

Nice story mariodefior.

From Ohio.....Congratulations to my Basenotes Family North of the border!!! I hope Ours is not far behind!!!
    Gary

Wow, What a story! I'm truly excited to try this one out. Will probably be a purchase for me providing longevity and silage are good!
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Post Thanks / Like

End of the month, cool

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice post Mario, thanks ! I'll give this one a shot when its released. No rush, I never am in one...
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Should be arriving sometime this week. Hoping to get my hands on this soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't need to wait for this as I got a bottle today, this stuff is awesome, definitely worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    Don't need to wait for this as I got a bottle today, this stuff is awesome, definitely worth a try.
    Nice pic. Good on you for getting a bottle.

Awesome you say ? I can't wait to sample this guy out
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !