Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Lacoste Essential: Essentially Awful

Essential is a throwaway synthetic mess of a fragrance that has the same toxic chemical plant leak note later built into Porsche Design Essence and before it Chrome. initially one is treated (If that's even the right word for it) to citrus, a horrid floral note and that oh-so-romantic acetone (nailpolish remover) note. It dries down to reveal a powdery toxic sludge smelling of lilly, patchoulli and that same acetone note. This stuff is unwearable and sickening, I found myself aching to scrub it off after application. This atrocity is especially distressing since Lacoste also released the magnificent Lacoste pour Homme. If that brand had any sense, it would beg Claude Dir to return and do an encore of his absolute masterpiece of a fragrance, even a flanker of Lacoste pour Homme would be better than this sickening mess.

That Essential is popular is no more mysterious than why Chrome is popular, people apparently enjoy smelling like they've been chemically burned clean, but for anyone that actually wants something that smells good skips this rubbish and get Lacoste pour Homme instead.

Default Re: Lacoste Essential: Essentially Awful

I thought I'd hate (got a little when I bought a group), but it wasn't really bad, just not as deep, complex, rich, etc. as what I usually wear. It didn't seem to have calone in it, and I'm beginning to suspect that is a major problem for me, in terms of being able to wear recent designer frags that have some sort of "fresh," aquatic, sport, etc. quality to them. I'd like to wear it again, but I have so many I have to get to for various reasons it may take some time to get back here and report on a second wearing.

Not the best offering from this house IMO.

A regular work scent for me, along with Lacoste Red, Versace Man, Acqua Di Gio, Live Jazz, KC Black and Roadster.

I like this one a lot in the summer. It's very refreshing and clean smelling.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The closest I ever came to a buy from Lacoste was Challenge. And L.12.12 Blanc is OK for a clean shirt frag, but no desire to buy that one.

Not a fan. Can't stand the tomato leaf in this one.

This used to be my go-to scent when I was in college, so I bought was the 4.2 oz, thinking I'd use it every day. Then I discovered that my tastes had changed. I fell out of love very quickly - and am now stuck with the bottle.

Inoffensive, plain, and linear. I'm trying to bring myself to wear it again, but can't, even for nostalgia's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    More like this house isn't offering much to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    That Essential is popular is no more mysterious than why Chrome is popular, people apparently enjoy smelling like they've been chemically burned clean
    LOL! Beautiful.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I see no reason to stray beyond the original EDT when it comes to Lacoste.

On rare occasion I like to try frags that are very different from what I usually like, I guess to figure out what the perfumers are thinking perhaps more than anything else. However, if I really hate the smell I won't wear it. Some frags are good to wear when you can't spend much time enjoying the scent, especially if you get it for free and then you don't waste any of the "good stuff." Elegance is probably their most interesting frag, to me, and I have the old Sport (the second version, from 1994), which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    Essential is a throwaway synthetic mess of a fragrance that has the same toxic chemical plant leak note later built into Porsche Design Essence and before it Chrome. initially one is treated (If that's even the right word for it) to citrus, a horrid floral note and that oh-so-romantic acetone (nailpolish remover) note. It dries down to reveal a powdery toxic sludge smelling of lilly, patchoulli and that same acetone note. This stuff is unwearable and sickening, I found myself aching to scrub it off after application. This atrocity is especially distressing since Lacoste also released the magnificent Lacoste pour Homme. If that brand had any sense, it would beg Claude Dir to return and do an encore of his absolute masterpiece of a fragrance, even a flanker of Lacoste pour Homme would be better than this sickening mess.

That Essential is popular is no more mysterious than why Chrome is popular, people apparently enjoy smelling like they've been chemically burned clean, but for anyone that actually wants something that smells good skips this rubbish and get Lacoste pour Homme instead.
    LOL thats a harsh review, especially on a fragrance that is actually pretty good. Its not outstanding by all means but its a real nice casual fragrance and something a little different thanks to the tomato leaf. Its a top seller because its actually pretty good, id give it an 8/10, and i own lacoste pour homme as well and that is also pretty nice. Oh well everyone has different opinions on fragrances right..

Try Lacoste Essential Sport then

I like it for what it is, a pleasant casual fragrance. It has a place in my wardrobe as I don't want to wear a Serge Lutens when I'm mowing the lawn.

this is true
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by Ozjon701 View Post
    I like it for what it is, a pleasant casual fragrance. It has a place in my wardrobe as I don't want to wear a Serge Lutens when I'm mowing the lawn.
    Thanks, I think I just found a use for my bottle.

It's another nice, nonoffensive, pleasant fragrance. Not bad, but not really good either.

I think Lacoste did try to make a main stream scent here, but to me it is better than a lot of the others. The tomato leaf accord mixes it up and keeps it from becoming a noise-aching fresh aquatic like many others. I do like this scent and it is WAY better than their newest four fragrance launch IMO.

The chemical plant spill note you speak of is dihydromyrcenol, the stuff that is used in massive quantities in Cool Water. This, plus Tomato Leaf and Cassis, is most of what makes up Essential.

Therefore I'm amazed that I like Essential, since I think Cool Water is more like Bilge Water...

The fragrance is nothing overly special but it doesn't deserve the scathing review by the OP. It's definitely not offensive.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

I am actually not bothered by the notes, I dislike far more the poor longevity of this scent.

Sport is better!

The only Lacostes I like are Lacoste (green and white bottle- wonderful smell), Booster and Ellegance. Essential, despite subtle, is one of the most cloying fragrances I know.
    Last edited by LeoM; 18th July 2012 at 11:01 PM.

To date, I haven't found a single Lacoste fragrance that I would purchase.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Never liked it, don't care for it, gave it away real quick.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lacoste Essential is terrible, just like nearly everything else from the Lacoste line (except for maybe Green Relaxed).

I've tried a couple. Most of them had that synthetic smell to them, but to my untrained nose...I could be wrong.
    Only ones I could stand were rogue and Homme (of which I own a bottle of).
    Blanc wasn't terrible...but I couldn't justify purchasing it.

Donīt like this one, but strangely I do kind of enjoy the sport version. Strange thing is being a "sport" version, the projection and longevity is quite good...
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

You guys are a little to extreme......This is a great fresh green scent.....very casual everyday scent and perfect for summer, really non offensive(got compliments).....the only issue i have with it is longevity.......the sport version is also a good counterpart

Quote Originally Posted by _Enigma_ View Post
    Donīt like this one, but strangely I do kind of enjoy the sport version. Strange thing is being a "sport" version, the projection and longevity is quite good...
    Lol! I noticed that either! And the smell is a little better, just a little.

Its not worse than zillion of other sport frags. This one is certainly unoffensive and easy to wear. Its not groundbreaking but neither awful. Easy 3/5 stars scent for me that is on par (if not better) with Bleu De Chanel for example.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NYTID View Post
    You guys are a little to extreme......This is a great fresh green scent.....very casual everyday scent and perfect for summer, really non offensive(got compliments).....the only issue i have with it is longevity.......the sport version is also a good counterpart
    I think it is more a matter of competition. If there werent 100 better fresh frags out there, I would probaby purchase essential. Fresh frags arent my favorite type. Im more into sweet floral but when i do wear a fresh frag it will usually only be something that is exceptionally good.

I don't own it but I don't mind it.

The frag may not be anything spectacular or unique but it is far from an offensive throwaway mess or sickening as the OP calls it, that's just being dramatic. To each their own, though.
    Last edited by UrbanCoyote; 19th July 2012 at 02:05 PM.

Sur la Plage

Dreadful.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Lacoste Essential Sport is better.

Dont want to write off the whole house yet, my frag journey started off with the old Sport from '94, Booster and Lacoste 2000. Everything else after those I didnt like (Ie Challenge = cat pee) but Essential Sport and L.12.12 Blanc are pretty ok (I still dont own any of them though)

Out of the Lacoste house I've smelled Lacoste Pour Homme, Lacoste Booster, Lacoste Essential, Lacoste Essential Sport, Lacoste Style in Play, and Lacoste Challenge. Booster was the only one that I enjoyed and still do. Has a very refreshing mint with a slightly soapy drydown. Great summer frag.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Out of the Lacoste house I've smelled Lacoste Pour Homme, Lacoste Booster, Lacoste Essential, Lacoste Essential Sport, Lacoste Style in Play, and Lacoste Challenge. Booster was the only one that I enjoyed and still do. Has a very refreshing mint with a slightly soapy drydown. Great summer frag.
    It's a pitty Booster has bad sillage and lasting power on my skin.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    It's a pitty Booster has bad sillage and lasting power on my skin.

I like Lacoste Essential tbh. It's definitely not something that will blow you away, and it's very linear, but to me it's a pretty good smell and lasts good on me (7-8 hrs any day)

Lacoste Original (1984) remains as the only fragrance from Lacoste's "pre - Procter and Gamble" era.
    It also means that it remains as their only fragrance worth buying today.

I have a mini of Essential. The mini is nice in that it's a generous size and has a great sprayer. On first sniff, I thought "Hey, I kind of like this." That opinion didn't last long. At the 3 hour mark, I couldn't stand it anymore and had to wash it off. I tried it again at least twice since then, each time liking it less than the time before. To be fair, I have yet to find a typical summer scent I really enjoy. I like L.12.12 Blanc, but I wish it had a bit more of a mature vibe.

i don't think it's that bad of a scent. essential sport i think is a little better. just not something i'd go out and buy