Code of Conduct

Default Robert Piguet Bandit EDT Question

Is the EDT version any good? A local shop has it for $25. I've never tried any version of Bandit, but I heard its a good leather fragrance. Should I buy this or pass?

Default Re: Robert Piguet Bandit EDT Question

At that price - IMO yes.

Buy immediately. Bandit is a wonderful green leather, s&m, strong, bitter, very distinctive. You need to like green and leather, of course, but at those prices, you can always keep it for reference. There could be subtle differences in vintage and concentration, but what I've smelled so far, edt or edp, is always good.

Now, is it anywhere close to where I live so I can stock up myself?

cacio

alright. Good enough for me. . First impression coming up.

It's a very dry, bitter, green, aldehydes, leather. The leather here is not like Tuscan Leather nor Cuir Ottoman, FYI. Nevertheless, it's still a very well made fragrance. Get it!

Yup, I remember the EDT having a bit more galbanum and the EDP being more resinous.

Bandit is great. A sharp green leather. Not too floral. Not too synthetic.

for swap/sale:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    .... it's .... a very well made fragrance. Get it!
    this ^^^^^^^^ ... a great find at that price ...

depends on which version it is. i don't think there is a recent edt. if it's a clear glass bottle with a black label like in the pictures, buy immediately. these bottle type have been around for a long time, and it's vintage bandit in a great shape, the way cellier intended it.

if it's not this type, beware. while the more recent formula's are good, they don't come in edt. and before that, we have seen some pretty bad stuff under the name bandit. not recommended!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

It was Marlene Dietrich's signature scent
    ... gotta love the Bandit!
    I only own - and know - the EdP, though!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Buy immediately.
    What he says!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    What he says!
    unless it's the 90's bandit, which was bad (and it can't be the new stuff, since it is an edt.)

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    unless it's the 90's bandit, which was bad (and it can't be the new stuff, since it is an edt.)
    For EDT's I was aware only of those two bottles you just posted. Is there another one from the 90s? Can you please post a picture?

i am not entirely sure if there was one, but i think i've encountered an edt from the 90's. the stuff is rather rare. there seem to have been several owners to the name since that time, and probably as many different bandits. they where not very successful, and sometimes they gave a entirely new twist to the name bandit (smelling nothing like the original, and being bad perfumes).

i haven't got a picture, just wanted to make sure the op is aware of this 90's scam.

to the op: if it's the one from the pictures, buy several bottles. it's most likely a once in a lifetime opportunity.

i am not entirely sure if there was one, but i think i've encountered an edt from the 90's. the stuff is rather rare. there seem to have been several owners to the name since that time, and probably as many different bandits. they where not very successful, and sometimes they gave a entirely new twist to the name bandit (smelling nothing like the original, and being bad perfumes).
    Thanks

The one I picked up comes in the black packaging with a black bottle. I'll try and post a picture later, but it looks the same as the current EDP except that it has a gold cap.

There are a few articles that I found that discuss this EDT in a little more detail:

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...by-piguet.html

http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20..._revie_15.html

Quote Originally Posted by rhaybans View Post
    Is the EDT version any good? A local shop has it for $25. I've never tried any version of Bandit, but I heard its a good leather fragrance. Should I buy this or pass?
    A strong BUY! It is perfect: white tame flowers and the bitter 'leather', the inherent rasp like nylons - way better than the vintage oddments I came across.

Ahh - I'm talking about the most recent formulation in black bottles! Don' know which concentration it is said to be.

I got the edt and the parfum. I must say the the parfum is my favorite concentration...so far (I haven't tried the edp.) The parfum so green, a bit soapy, and smooth. The leather is minimal, but it's there. It's a subtle leather scent for spring, as it reminds me of that season. The edt is ok, but harsher with the rubbery/leathery thing up front. Edt reminds me of Halloween.

A screaming deal at $25, and well worth having, if even only as a reference smell.

A couple of years ago, I found a little shop online that was selling bandit in all 3 concentrations, each around $30, so I bought all 3. They all came in black bottles (technically very dark purple). The caps vary, but the EdT did have a (cheap looking) gold cap, whereas the EdP has a shiny black cap. The extrait has a clear ground-glass stopper with gold thread seal. Very classy looking.

Interestingly, only the EdP had a sticker on the box that stated that (paraphrased here)this particular EdP formulation is 100% faithful to the spirit of the original formula, and was personally approved by Germaine Cellier (the nose behind the original formula). Based on what I've read, I'm a little skeptical, especially considering that Cellier died DECADES ago, long before this reformulation happened.

In any case, I figure that if Piguet (or should I say: the holding company that now owns the brand) is comfortable enough staking his reputation on this reformulation, that's good enough for me.

For what it's worth, I DID compare it to a vintage sample, and it was very close. I could detect a difference, but it was subtle, and I can't honestly say that the vintage was inherently BETTER...just slightly different. As I recall, the vintage had a bit more of that almost acrid 'marijuana smoke and burnt rubber' accord.

The EdT was faithful to the other formulations, though a bit more transparent, and an ever-so-slightly different balance of some of the notes.

In any case, it is still a unique and very good fragrance, in any concentration.

andylama,

i've seen black bottles looking almost identical to ones of the recent formulas, they had a signed guarantee, bla bla, and the perfume smells not like bandit. where's the galbanum overdose? and what's this big, sweet ambery accord doing there instead? it isn't a bad perfume, but it surely isn't what they tell you either.

so much for trusting these marking ploys. unless we're dealing with fake bandits here, but who on earth would go through all the trouble and produce fake bandit tester bottles that don't even smell like bandit to begin with? i don't think that's the case here.

btw. the difference between the bottles? none, except that the label is a bit smaller in size, and the letters slightly fatter. there is another good and recent formula that has some letters not in capitals, if i remember correctly it reads BANDIT De ROBERT PIGUET instead of BANDIT DE ROBERT PIGUET.

@gido, I really appreciate all of your input. I may have to acquire a vintage sample eventually and test it against what I bought.

Oops, missed the follow up from months ago!

To test my memory, I revisited the concentration comparison. Sprayed EdT on one wrist and EdP on the other.

Well, skin me alive and roll me in rock salt, they are noticeably different!

Again, not comparing them to the vintage formulation, but to each other:

They both have the same primary leather note, and the EdT is not much less strong than the EdP, but the supporting notes is where they diverge slightly...

The EdT (huge gaudy gold cap) has a soapy floral note, and is a bit greener overall, BUT seems harsher / rough around the edges.
    The EdP (smaller shiny black cap) has an underlying oriental/amber accord, sweeter and smoother.

So, Gido, I see what you mean. But judging them only against each other, I prefer the EdP, but then again, I love orientals and dislike green soapy florals in general, so no surprise there.

It definitely isn't the same fragrance it was in 1944 or whatever, but still good, and still a bargain at $30, in any concentration.

does it feature a powerful sandalwood note?

isnt it the same which is orange blossom/jasmine powerhouse...? i think it smells quite intensely feminine.. if you are like most here who don't care a damn about whether a scent smells feminine or not - then, you must go for it..

Not at all.

for swap/sale:

Not to my nose, not in either concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    isnt it the same which is orange blossom/jasmine powerhouse...? i think it smells quite intensely feminine.. if you are like most here who don't care a damn about whether a scent smells feminine or not - then, you must go for it..
    It strikes me as somewhat feminine, but not intensely. ("intensely feminine" to me would mean big floral chypres, soliflores, candyfloss notes, etc.)

The leather note is very similar to the one in Knize Ten Golden Edition (and possibly even Cuir Mauresque), though greener and not sweet.

Basenotes Institution

If you've never tried it, Bandit Shower Gel is amazing. The mixture of leather, green and hot steam in a shower is a fantastic combination!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

i agree about the shower gel. it's especially good if you have the same edition perfume to go with it, afterwards.

The shower gel is also wonderful? Another thing to buy then. I have the body lotion and it is perfect, like the perfume. Persistent too. (Unlike, say, Knize Ten bath products, that are weaker and less interesting than the scent).

Now, if they only did the bath oil as well ...

cacio

i have to agree again, i was disappointed with the knize ten shower gel, too. especially in the beginning, it was not what i had expected. it's a very incomplete rendering of the knize ten shape, and remarkably weak (especially compared to the powerful knize ten toilet water.) after that i accepted it for what it is, just a nice shower gel. but i probably won't buy it again.

The edt is dark and rubbery, but very different. I like the parfum better.

It seems Bandit had many faces, ie formulations / bottles
    Has anyone tried Bandit in clear bottle in dark box (supposed to be mid 80th version)?

How good / not good this one compared to the original and current EdT/EdP?

Quote Originally Posted by aquariuz View Post
    It seems Bandit had many faces, ie formulations / bottles
    Has anyone tried Bandit in clear bottle in dark box (supposed to be mid 80th version)?

How good / not good this one compared to the original and current EdT/EdP?
    What is is this ????? IMHO this should be fake....
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

've contacted to RP with this photo and got a reply

Dear Shavkat,

According to the photo you have sent, this could be something that was
    produced back in the 80's by a different distribution company, but we have
    no way of confirming the authenticity since many bogus bottles appear online
    frequently.

Best Wishes,

Debra
    so probably its not a fake.

Fugly box though.