Code of Conduct

Thread: Bedtime scents

Default Bedtime scents

Sometimes I wear perfume to bed, as I know so many of us do. I'm curious about what people wear when prepping for slumber. I like l'Artisan's Bois Farine, Baghari on the odd occasion and for obvious reasons, and Ava Luxe Ambra Tibet. I wonder what the psychology behind these could reveal!

Default Re: Bedtime scents

For me it's typically vanilla. I don't wear scents with prominent vanilla notes during day time, but at night I put a bit on my wrists to sniff as I get off to bed. Jalaine Vanilla perfume oil is to die for, but any vanilla works for me.

Basenotes Institution

Anything not too sharp or citrussy - vanilla like kess ,musks,
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Lovethescents, I enjoy Bois Farine as a sleep scent, too.

Like Kess and Mysticknot, I also like vanillas and musks for bed. Some favorites:

Helmut Lang
    Perfect Veil
    Vanille Noire du Mexique
    Lorenzo Villoresi Musk
    Love's True Bluish Light
    Note Vanillee

Sometimes I crave some Angel at night, either body creme or a dab of the edp.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blue Amber is a top bedtime comfort scent for me. Just ran out of my sample, so looking for a bottle.

Another very different choice is vetiver. I have sprayed my pillow with Sel de Vetiver, and find it both refreshing and calming. Must find a cheaper vetiver alternative for this!

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Lovethescents, I enjoy Bois Farine as a sleep scent, too.

Like Kess and Mysticknot, I also like vanillas and musks for bed. Some favorites:

Helmut Lang
    Perfect Veil
    Vanille Noire du Mexique
    Lorenzo Villoresi Musk
    Love's True Bluish Light
    Note Vanillee

Sometimes I crave some Angel at night, either body creme or a dab of the edp.
    Vanilla! Seems rather obvious but I didn't think about it. Must try it. I do have a little sample of Perfect Veil that I had forgotten about as I found it a bit too light. I should try it before bed.

The idea of drinking warm milk before bed never appealed to me, but I do like the olfactory equivalent: Ava Luxe Milk (milk, vanilla, and musk).

Blog Entries

Berdoues Violettes de Toulouse EdT is nice and light -- perfect for spraying the sheets (or oneself.)
    For day wear I prefer the EdP strength.

Blog Entries

Lavender is supposed to induce calm deep sleep. My favorites are Hierbas d'Ibiza and Delrae - Illuminee

I also like to wear a light floral like Etro - Vicolo Fiori

Hillaire

I like deep, festive scents (esp with plum) for bed. I think I have some inexorable sleep associations with sparkling holiday nights as a child, when I loathed to go to bed but had to...
    My favorite is Jil Sander 4
    and also Knowing

Lavender is relaxing, but does not help me sleep. But, I am one of those weirdos that is not overtly calmed by chamomile tea.

For me, amber, vanilla and patchouli are all great sleeping scents. Jicky has lavender, but it also is heavy on the vanilla and amber, so it actually does the trick. Scents that seem to keep me from sleeping well include citrus, vetiver and extremely spicy fragrances where the spices are not buried in an amber accord.

Gucci EdP works very well for me. Especially after I get past the topnotes.

And also Christian Lacroix Tumulte PH. I always imagine myself lying on the sun warmed ground of a clearing surrounded by a cedar forest (and sometimes I include some wood elves in my fantasy ). A very peaceful image that helps me fall asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Blue Amber is a top bedtime comfort scent for me. Just ran out of my sample, so looking for a bottle.

Another very different choice is vetiver. I have sprayed my pillow with Sel de Vetiver, and find it both refreshing and calming. Must find a cheaper vetiver alternative for this!
    I don't know Blue Amber...must investigate. Now vetiver IS different! How curious! It's typically not in the 'comfort scents' vein but I'm terribly interested in trying this. Thanks for the idea. My top vetiver scent is FM's Vetiver Extraordinaire....that'll be on my pillow tonight :-)

Vanilla seems to be a common theme here, more-so than lavender, interestingly enough...but that lavender and vanilla combination, dear Jicky, is another I should try. I've only really given it a chance once and didn't care for it, but that was in the early days of my 'fumie obsession. Tastes do evolve....

I'm with Asha all the way...Jicky is THE one!

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post

I reach for scents with vetiver before bed often too. I use Miller Harris Terre de Bois body oil or L'Artisan Jatmansi body oil after a pre-bed bath sometimes because they contain some vetiver and find they ease fibromyalgia symptoms(muscle spasm and lack of deep sleep) a little. The fact that I massage the oil onto myself is probably helping too. But if you google "vetiver sleep muscle" you'll see many references to vetiver being used traditionally for help with mucle spasm and sleep. Years ago I mixed vetiver EO into some Sephora Brown body oil and used that with good effect. I shared some with other friends who had trouble sleeping and they raved about it. Brown has been discontinued though.

Another scent that has been found useful is jasmine. In fact, in one study it was found to be more useful than lavender: http://www.worldhealth.net/news/jasm..._restful_sleep
    I had a massage lotion custom blended at The Body Shop containing jasmine and vanilla that is nice to use at bedtime.

Lorenzo Villoresi has some nice bubble baths and lotions that I like using at bedtime: Teint de Neige and Donna. The former is extremely comforting, like a sophisticated baby powder, and the latter is just plain beautiful.

But more often, I grab whatever perfume I haven't put away into its box that isn't too energizingand spray a little on my PJs.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    I reach for scents with vetiver before bed often too. I use Miller Harris Terre de Bois body oil or L'Artisan Jatmansi body oil after a pre-bed bath sometimes because they contain some vetiver and find they ease fibromyalgia symptoms(muscle spasm and lack of deep sleep) a little. The fact that I massage the oil onto myself is probably helping too. But if you google "vetiver sleep muscle" you'll see many references to vetiver being used traditionally for help with mucle spasm and sleep. Years ago I mixed vetiver EO into some Sephora Brown body oil and used that with good effect. I shared some with other friends who had trouble sleeping and they raved about it. Brown has been discontinued though.

Another scent that has been found useful is jasmine. In fact, in one study it was found to be more useful than lavender: http://www.worldhealth.net/news/jasm..._restful_sleep
    I had a massage lotion custom blended at The Body Shop containing jasmine and vanilla that is nice to use at bedtime.

Lorenzo Villoresi has some nice bubble baths and lotions that I like using at bedtime: Teint de Neige and Donna. The former is extremely comforting, like a sophisticated baby powder, and the latter is just plain beautiful.

But more often, I grab whatever perfume I haven't put away into its box that isn't too energizingand spray a little on my PJs.
    Thanks for this great info. How frustrating to have a condition that interferes with sleep! The older I get, the more I realize just how important a good night's sleep is. I'm at that age when staying cool can be a challenge. Vetiver seems to have a cooling and relaxing effect. I'm been wanting to get some L'Eau de Jatamansi. Maybe I'll go for the oil!

Hello lovethescents
    both Baghari and Ava Luxe Ambra Tibet
    are my favorites for bedtime.
    I thought Baghari was a strange choice for bedtime
    but somehow it's just perfect from time to time.
    other ones in rotation are:
    The Body Shop Vanilla
    Love's True Bluish Light
    L'Eau d’Hiver
    Absolu
    Amour de Cacao
    Farnesiana
    Last edited by Agent Provocateur; 9th March 2009 at 12:51 AM.
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

In cool and cold weather, Samsara is a favorite bedtime scent of mine. The jasmine, vanilla and sandal wood are very warm and relaxing.

I just tested hubby's Burberry London (new one)
    what a fabulous scent for bedtime, warm and soothing .
    I think I'll definitely be throwing this into bedtime scent rotation!
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Basenotes Institution

Many great suggestions.

My one-and-true bedtime scent is Shalimar (the EdC) by Guerlain.

*yawn* it's getting late.

I rotate three guerlains as bedtime scents...
    Shalimar
    Jicky
    Samsara EDP (in winter)

Common theme of the three is the guerlinade which includes vanilla.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I love to wear many, many different scents for bedtime. Some of the favorites are;

Eau d'Elide
    Fête
    31 rue Cambon
    Joy
    2000 et une Roses
    Guerlinade
    Prélude
    Ambre Sultan
    Arabie
    Youth-Dew
    Shalimar
    Le Temps d'Aimer
    Chloé (original 70's)
    Ombre Bleu
    Zibeline
    Vivre
    Sheherazade
    Bal a Versaille
    Tulipe Noire
    Bois des Iles
    Belle-Epoque

and oh so many more, but these are my first choices.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I love to wear many, many different scents for bedtime. Some of the favorites are;

Eau d'Elide
    Fête
    31 rue Cambon
    Joy
    2000 et une Roses
    Guerlinade
    Prélude
    Ambre Sultan
    Arabie
    Youth-Dew
    Shalimar
    Le Temps d'Aimer
    Chloé (original 70's)
    Ombre Bleu
    Zibeline
    Vivre
    Sheherazade
    Bal a Versaille
    Tulipe Noire
    Bois des Iles
    Belle-Epoque

and oh so many more, but these are my first choices.
    Brielle, can you please tell me about Fete and Vivre??
    Also, do you know Initiation? Or Gauloises(sp?)?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Every night, for weeks now, I want the very purple Yves Rocher Iris Noir at teeth-brushing time. It's the time of day I want something lip-smacking sweet and patchouli-related.

Fragrantica says it's a floriental with chypre accords. Notes from OsMoz: Bergamot, Coriander; Iris, Rosy Notes, Floral Notes; Patchouli, Tonka Bean, Ambrette Seed.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Blog Entries

Like Brielle87, I have a diverse and quite eclectic bed time wardrobe. In my case the most common denominator is musk - It seems I am truly a wild one at heart. Another commonality is nostalgia a few of my favourite sleep well scents were HG / signature scents for me back when I was young, beautiful... with a sweet powder tooth.

Lagerfeld Sun Moon Stars (winter usually)
    Dana Tabu
    Lentheric Baroque
    Coty L'Aimant PdT
    Estee Lauder Youth Dew bath oil
    TBS Japanese Musk
    Spiritual Sky Ambergris
    Spiritual Sky Violet
    Yves Rocher Ispahan (vintage)
    TBS Mostly Musk
    Andy Tauer Reverie au Jardin
    Ava Luxe Milk parfum
    Crabtree & Evelyn Nirmala (modern twin of my first bought perfume - Max Factor Le Jardin)
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I don't usually put on scent before bed, but on a rare occasion I'll spritz Molinard Vanille.

Basenotes Plus

BTW...According to reknown aromatherapist, Patricia Davis, vetiver is "deeply calming".

I wear lots of different scents to bed, here are a few of the most common ones:
    LHB parfum (for deep relaxing sleep & waking up still perfumed)
    Bois Farine (light weight sleep comfort scent)
    VISA parfum (when my daughter wants to snuggle)
    Timbuktu (if I feel a chill coming on)
    DSH Cathedral (winter only)
    Bourbon French Mimosa (for dreaming)
    BPAL Incantation (deluxe vetiver for deep sleep when jittery)
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Thanks so much for the vetiver suggestions. I tried Vetiver Extraordinaire last night and could NOT get over how fantastically relaxed and comforted I felt. It is really soporific!

I usually only apply once a day if I'm not sampling in the evening. So my bedtime scent is the scent of the day spritzed on my body and still there in the evening under my clothes. It's so lovely to get the smell of the drydown when in bed. There are fragrances that already has disappeared at that time of the day but many stays. Right now I'm wearing English Lavender and it's still there. It's a bit metallic and harsh in the opening but soon it becomes rounder and warmer and the dry down is warm and lovely.

All time favorite bedtime scents:
    Pot LeE
    Lea St Bath
    BPAL Inez or O
    B&BW Jasmine Vanilla

Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla!!!
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Most scents sort of wake me up and distract me, or make me feel alert. I've just tested Ubar on my arm and was going to wear it to bed, but I feel it sharpening my senses.

This is strange...but Bal a Versailles has been known to cure my insomnia. I think it makes me feel languid, as if I've already expended energy and now can sleep.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 14th April 2009 at 02:03 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I have two approaches to bedtime scents. The first is when there is no pressing need to fall asleep quickly. On those nights, I get out my box o'samples and dab both wrists with different fragrances. My husband and I spend time getting to know them, fragrance-stimulated free associating, and trying to put into words what we gather from each fragrance.

When it is more critical that sleep come quickly and remain deep, I choose fragrances for the following predominant notes:
    vanilla
    heliotrope
    almond
    vanilla
    musk
    mimosa
    linden
    talc

These notes, when well framed, almost guarantee a deep and restful sleep.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

I am not sure anyone has mentioned this yet, but I tend to wear to bed scents I am slightly ashamed of owning - one cheesey example would be Jasper Conran Mistress. If you saw me in my wincyette pyjamas, "mistress" is the last description that would spring to mind!
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    The idea of drinking warm milk before bed never appealed to me, but I do like the olfactory equivalent: Ava Luxe Milk (milk, vanilla, and musk).
    Totally agreed there- milk and I don't get on - so no wonder I go for the creamy vanilla musks at bedtime - a kind of replacement.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

None on myself - but every few days a few sprays of either Shalimar or Coco on to the pillow (by that I really mean on the pillow, under the pillowcase). Because their basenotes are actually quite soft and have a half-life of 200 million years.

Sur la Plage

I like to use The Body Shop White Musk for Men.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by VM I hate civet View Post
    I am not sure anyone has mentioned this yet, but I tend to wear to bed scents I am slightly ashamed of owning - one cheesey example would be Jasper Conran Mistress. If you saw me in my wincyette pyjamas, "mistress" is the last description that would spring to mind!
    I wonder how your scenario compares to my LLBean flannel tartan night shirt worn with Shalimar extrait

I've recently really been liking Pink Sugar at bedtime. It's so lighthearted, sweet, and comfy, and gives me fluffy, pink bedtime visions.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I wonder how your scenario compares to my LLBean flannel tartan night shirt worn with Shalimar extrait
    Very similar, I should think. Were we not all scattered to the winds, we could hold an "ironic perfume slumber party"... : - )
    Last edited by VM I hate civet; 15th April 2009 at 03:05 PM.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

Default Nightcap fragrance: Do you wear a fragrance to bed?

(I'm going to post this also on the male fragrance discussion board, too).

I often find myself wanting to apply a spray or two of something just as I'm going to bed. I don't think there's anything odd about this, I chalk it up to aromatherpy, but naturally I can't enjoy this as much as I would if I were awake. It gives a whole new meaning to OSmosis, huh? Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone have a "nightcap" fragrance they'd recommend?
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Default Re: Nightcap fragrance: Do you wear a fragrance to bed?

I guess I should have told you mine: I like a spray of Lolita au Masculin just before some shuteye! I'm going to do that now...
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Default Re: Nightcap fragrance: Do you wear a fragrance to bed?

There were very recent threads on both the men's and women's boards which covers this topic...short answer is "yes"

I generally don't. But if it do, I would wear something fresh, low, calming so that I can relax myself :P

Anything quite heavy in vanilla. It is one of my favourite smells and taste

I tend to oscillate between vanilla (Douceur de la Vanille or
    Cuir Beluga) and Heliotrope (Etro Heliotrope, Piver Heliotrope Blanc
    and Lullaby by Jeffrey Dame.) I will try a spritz of my hubbie's
    Vetiver by Guerlain after all those recommendations that vetiver is a
    sleep inducer.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

When I don't already have another fragrance on, I almost always sleep in Teint de Neige. I've worn it to bed for over five years now, and it's gotten to the point where it actually has a somewhat narcotic effect on me - my Pavlovian response to it, I'm sure - but now I can't imagine wearing it during the day. It's beautifully soft and fluffy, feminine, tranquil, dreamy, warm, cozy and cuddly, all the things a good bedtime scent should be ...and my husband loves it, too.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Really nice for bed time,
    Very strong though.

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk

Teint de Neige. I wear it almost exclusively to sleep

Molinard Vanille, Lolita Lempicka L, Bvlgari au The Rouge. I don't put them on as bed scents but tend to wear these more at home to relax then when out and about, so, in a way, they can become bed scents.

Chanel's Eau de Cologne is my favorite sleepytime scent.

Kiehl's Musk oil. Incredibly cozy and nuzzling.