Code of Conduct

Default Suggested Fragrances for an Asian/Tropical Trip?

Hi guys, I am new here. Recently just got into my sense of smell and have been investing more into fragrances lately. I will be traveling all over Asia (Hong Kong, Singapore, Philippines, Indonesia) and was wondering what great fragrances would be ideal for me to bring? I consider myself to be a soulful, sensual, beachy person. Mysterious, artistic, yet passionate for adventure. At least that's how I see myself.

Here's what I plan on bringing:
    Dior Homme Sport
    YSL Live Jazz
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense (formal nights)
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (bar nights)
    Versace The Dreamer (romantic nights)

I have these but won't be bringing with me:
    Acqua Di Gio (too overused, although it was my first fragrance ever)
    CK One (it is nostalgic to me, but not something I like to wear)
    Mugler Cologne (it did not really hold up well to NY summers)

I plan on adding probably one more night fragrance and a couple of daytime fragrances. This is going to be a long trip (3-4 months) so any suggestions would be great. Also, do you think my night time fragrances are suitable? I haven't actually tried these during hot or warm weather (although I remembered my nights in Asia to be cooler than hot and humid New York), so I can imagine it transitioning well. I'm still a noob, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Suggested Fragrances for an Asian/Tropical Trip?

So you are looking for one more night and a few day. From your list it seems as if you are in the designer genre. With that being said

An excellent night time gourmand to try is Man by Rochas. YSL -L'homme is a great choice as well.

For a daytime adventurous scent I would go with Arancia- by Aqua Di Parma, Or Heremes' Concierge Orange. D Squared He wood is a great smell, Marc jacobs by marc jacobs is very well done, and Diesel plus plus is a very cheap and affordable day time scent
    Last edited by LiteEmUpGood; 20th February 2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: more info

Maybe a bit cliché but what about Opium Pour Homme Eau d'Orient?

For hot weather, I'll add another Acqua di Parma: Colonia. Also (if you can find it) Guerlain Homme L'eau. And I don't own it, but I suspect it won't be long before someone suggests Creed's Virgin Island Water -- which is, indeed, a good recommendation...if a bit pricey. (You could use the Parfum1.com 20% President's Day coupon and get a tester < $100 though). Heck, I'll also throw in Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche.

Your night-time arsenal looks fine. Check out Gucci Pour Homme II. The Prada might get a bit much in the heat, and The Dreamer might be a bit of a gamble for "romantic" forays. Don't get me wrong: I personally love it, but it can be a polarizing scent.

Lastly: I'm officially jealous. 3-4 months bobbing around Asia?
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

The ones you plan on bringing will work fine

I haven't tried any niche fragrances yet although I definitely would like to hear some suggestions. I'm a noob at fragrances and my nose is definitely not as refined as everyone else on here. Finding the perfect fragrance IMO is feeling like "a big boy now" all over again.

I am definitely curious to try Rochas Man after trying Au Masculin and The Dreamer (there seems to be a lot of comparisons between the three). Which brings me to Le Male, but I've always diverted myself every time I want to try it because of its popularity.

L'Homme is a MUST try. I hear so many great things about it. Marc Jacobs as well (coconut? this should be perfect). I remember liking HeWood a lot when I first tried it, and you just reminded me of it. Lots to try... I can imagine the most weight of my luggage would come from my fragrances.

Skip the Le Male. Especially in hotter climates.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

I spend a lot of time in the far East and these seem to work well and i'll never be without:

Niche: Epic Man. Reflection Man. Aventus.
    Designer: Platinum Egoiste. Pure Malt.

I found Asian girls particularly like the Amouages and surprisingly Pure Malt, which many say is too cloying in hot weather. Well, not on me it isn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory88 View Post
    For hot weather, I'll add another Acqua di Parma: Colonia. Also (if you can find it) Guerlain Homme L'eau. And I don't own it, but I suspect it won't be long before someone suggests Creed's Virgin Island Water -- which is, indeed, a good recommendation...if a bit pricey. (You could use the Parfum1.com 20% President's Day coupon and get a tester < $100 though). Heck, I'll also throw in Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche.

Your night-time arsenal looks fine. Check out Gucci Pour Homme II. The Prada might get a bit much in the heat, and The Dreamer might be a bit of a gamble for "romantic" forays. Don't get me wrong: I personally love it, but it can be a polarizing scent.

Lastly: I'm officially jealous. 3-4 months bobbing around Asia?
    Ha, if only I was there to travel and have fun. I will be doing work my boss the majority of my time. Of course, I'd like to have some fun too

The Prada is my signature scent right now. I love it. For some reason it makes me feel dangerous... I want to bring that "attitude" with me. I really hope it works well when I am there.

I gotta add your suggestions on my list to try. I've blind bought The Dreamer and Au Masculin and got really lucky so far.

I'm in hawaii this week, oahu to be specific, and i'm wearing grey vetiver today.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Agreed
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm glad the ones I have will work perfectly in the climate. I am going to try and bring a couple more (I just got into the whole fragrance/scent thing and obsessed about playing with smells and moods) and will sample the ones suggested. I have this picturesque idea on how my travel is going to be like and I want to capture that in a bottle. I will update on the ones I'm bringing with me!

By the way, I got all of my fragrances (save for CK One and Gio) by lurking this website and watching YT vids. More people should definitely appreciate their sense of smell more.

polo double black is a good one for the night out scent here in manila. we're known for mangoes too. and yeah strong coffee to i guess..

a hot halfie once told me she found burberry for men in the red box sexy.

well it just so happened i found this frag around these parts for cheap and had a bottle.

it is unforgettable to me now.

the bottle for burberry summer is the same as iv just seen it a few days ago but i haven't tried the summer version. the original was pretty light lemon/ vanilla combo.

Batucada

İssey Miyake - Leau d'issey Pour Homme
    Tommy Bahama - Set Sail St. Barts

For general usage, I suspect that a lot of your scents will conk out during day time wear, when you are not primarily in airconditioned buildings.

The three fresh scents I know survive a lot better than others in hot muggy day time weather are Azzaro Chrome, Diesel Plus Plus and Dali's Laguna. I usually wear them when I'm doing a lot of walking around, then have a shower and switch to something else at night.
    Regards,
    Renato

A little more expensive, one of my favorites for hot DC summers is Sycomore by Chanel, a fresh vetiver with a touch of wood and smoke. Both fresh and elegant. An Indian BNer confirmed that it holds up well in New Delhi too.

cacio

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    this ^^^^^^ and enjoy your trip !!!!