Code of Conduct

Default Do you take the color of the packaging or juice into account when trying a new perfume?

Was reading this interesting article and was wondering what do you think?

http://www.gcimagazine.com/marketstr...138487989.html

Just taking a look at my collection, I think there might be some truth in that...

Default Re: Do you take the color of the packaging or juice into account when trying a new perfume?

Absolutely not.

for swap/sale:

Default Re: Do you take the color of the packaging or juice into account when trying a new perfume?

"Interestingly, perfumers often see color the same way consumers do and consistently use color as a stimulus for creative thinking. As trained professionals, perfumers organize fragrance palettes using colors to reflect the major scent families: citrus (yellow), florals (pinks, whites, and mauves), woods (greens), chypre (browns), orientals (reds and oranges) and so on. Additionally, new subfamilies such as ozones and watery influences are typically blue. Among the best perfumers, there is no learning curve for color." -

So true. There are no blue-colored fragrances in my collection, as I abhor aquatic perfumes.

This clip of Serge Lutens illustrates the writer's point quite clearly.

Thanks for posting this. I like to think it doesn't really move me one way or the other, but it does. I have a thing for golden/ambery/whiskey-colored juice for sure. I think the only colors that turn me off are highly synthetic neon looking colors like Gucci Envy for Men (though I like the fragrance despite the color of the juice). I appreciate a nice bottle/packaging but I'm after the scent first, and color before packaging.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Color, probably not. But if the juice has bits of debris floating on the surface, in suspension or at the bottom of the bottle, I will NEVER buy it!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

An interesting issue-- I suspect we are affected more than we realize by color.

A few years ago I read about a study on the effect of the color of food packaging on buyers. It would be interesting to see a study done on the effects of perfume color and packaging.

Blog Entries

l also would like to think it has no effect, but in all honesty l think it does. l have no blue or even pink juice in my collection.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution

Subconsciously, the marketing works on me, I think . However, I hope I have some sensibility left ,to make an informed decision of my own , based on what's inside the packaging. *LOL*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yes, the color of the packaging definitely influences my decisions. I'm not saying it should, but it does. The shade of blue of the Kiton Napoli bottle, or similar shades, will attract me every time. Thankfully, that color isn't very common in fragrance packaging; otherwise I would be poorer.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

I don't think juice colour affects my purchasing or sampling decisions, but who knows? I have scents coloured pink, green and mauve in my collection, but no blue. Packaging probably has more of an impact on me - excessively fussy, girly (ribbons, bows, twinkly bits, etc.,) or elaborate packaging/bottles tend to put me off, rather than the colour alone.

Dependent

doesn't affect me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    "Interestingly, perfumers often see color the same way consumers do and consistently use color as a stimulus for creative thinking. As trained professionals, perfumers organize fragrance palettes using colors to reflect the major scent families: citrus (yellow), florals (pinks, whites, and mauves), woods (greens), chypre (browns), orientals (reds and oranges) and so on. Additionally, new subfamilies such as ozones and watery influences are typically blue. Among the best perfumers, there is no learning curve for color." -

So true. There are no blue-colored fragrances in my collection, as I abhor aquatic perfumes.

This clip of Serge Lutens illustrates the writer's point quite clearly.

Great post, Kevin, and great thread, Irina!

I buy for scent first, even with an ugly bottle. On rare occasions, I have bought a horrible scent just for the bottle! (I love the Ravel in the background as M. Lutens speaks...)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Not at all

Blog Entries

No, I like the way some of the bottles look in my collection but only boight them because of the quality of the juice inside
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

None whatsoever. I see the packaging and bottle for maybe a few seconds, whereas the scent is with me all day. Having said that, a nice presentation is always a plus.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The packaging effects me on a subliminal level, as it should. Does it effect my choices? Probably not. But I would certainly be attracted to packages designed by graphic artists who are aware of the subliminal nature of commercial packaging, just because this is one of the ways the modern commercial world works. My guess is that most people are subject to this, without realizing it.

The color of the fragrance itself? No, that doesn't effect me at all. Unless it was black like ink. Then I might hesitate. But I have not encountered a fragrance that is this color yet.

I do not.

Not for me. It's all about the smell. In my mind I often associate fragrances with particular colours but that doesn't always match the juice or packaging colour anyway.

The nice bottle design is a plus, but its all about the juice imo

I will buy any fragrance for the smell alone, but have to admit that frags tinted pink repel me. I guess if I liked it I would buy it, but I'll try something else first. And keep walking past the pinks.

If I was in a shop and a male fragrance was in a bright pink box and the bottle had a red ribbon around it with sparkles on then I would most likely give it a pass.lol

PS. Though I do have Rochas man in my collection....lol

No, I like or dislike a frag only because of the actual scent. But having said that, some packaging could be made more attractive - I'm thinking of Shem el Nessim, which in the 50 ml EdP comes in a large plasticky box thing like a child's spaceship. For one of the higher priced frags, that seems very tacky. And Paul Smith Rose's bottle is really plain. I keep it well hidden from view, though I like the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    If I was in a shop and a male fragrance was in a bright pink box and the bottle had a red ribbon around it with sparkles on then I would most likely give it a pass.lol

PS. Though I do have Rochas man in my collection....lol
    Jack,
    I bought Rochas Man at TJMaxx and did know it said "Man", and I do really enjoy it. But the stockers at TJ's always put it in the feminine section, I guess because of the pink box.

yes, the color caries expectations, a more colorful bottle would tell me the fragrance is a fun and easy-sweet fragrance; a dark shade fragrance will tell me is oriental and strong; sometimes mismatch happens when marketing and perfumer do not talk to each other
    "Nature and all her wonders guide me...Emotions find expression in fragrance. Fragrance is the music of my dreams. Fragrance is my inspiration." - Annick Goutal

Not a factor.

No hot pink and lilac for me, please.

When I look at my collection the bottles appear quite neutral: golden or colorless juice, clear glass, black, silver or golden caps. And I remember the packaging was likewise discreet.

I think the design of the bottle and the color of the fragrance do matter. A design I don't care for won't keep me from trying a perfume, or from buying one I like. But a good design does enhance the overall experience. I am a visual person, admittedly. But I still think for most people an important part of the experience of perfume is the way the bottle looks, and the way it feels in your hand.

It's obvious that the manufacturers spend a lot of time on the look as well. Consider three Chanel products: No. 5, Coco Noir and Chance. It seems to me that they use bottle design, color and typeface to tell you, before you've even tried the perfume, what the product is, and to whom it is targeted.

Basenotes Plus

Looking at my collection, I like my bottles to be clear and the contents to be dark.

So let's say it was possible to make a colourless Norne - and it may very well be - and that from now on, all Norne would look like water but smell no different.

Yea or nay?
    Last edited by rowan-; 24th February 2014 at 04:44 PM.

Hmmm, I don't think I would buy a fragrance because of the colour of the juice.... but at the same time, if one of my favourite scents had a ridiculous colour, say neon yellow or bright red, I might get put off...

Quote Originally Posted by rowan-
    So let's say it was possible to make a colourless Norne - and it may very well be - and that from now on, all Norne would look like water but smell no different.

Yea or nay?
    Yea.

In most cases, no: as long as the juice contained is good and packaging is just as functional, practical and sturdy as to appropriately store and protect the contents.

I work with color and branding and there is no denying the science behind the article. What strikes me in this case, though, is that the targeting is largely predicated on in-store displays and standing out from neighboring products on the shelves.

I don't usually choose perfumes from in-store displays. I mostly get interested from reading about them or from talking to people who know my tastes and whose opinions I trust. So my attention is already focused before I see the product, in many cases.

I still feel the appeal of packaging and juice color, I suppose, but I don't think it plays a large part. Perhaps if I am trying to pick between two frags it might tilt the balance in favor of one.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.