Code of Conduct

Default Not Happy with my recent Purchase of L'Instant Guerlain

Hello All,

I recently purchased a Bottle of L'Instant Guerlain although it Smells great the projection of the cologne and longivity shall I say...it "Sucks". My Question is have others experience the same issues with L'Instant Guerlain regarding projection & longivity (within an hour of application I can only get a whiff if I put my nose to my wrist) and what do you recommend that I layer the new frag with to give it some staying power & projection?? Thanks!!

Default Re: Not Happy with my recent Purchase of L'Instant Guerlain

Um...this one does stay with you IMHO. Ask others around you. I become immune to the scent after a while but others can still smell it...that's my experience anyway.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I'm guessing you got the EDT which lasts on me for five hours where the Extreme version projects well and I get twelve hours or so.

Have never had thankfully any problems with longevity with this scent.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have never had thankfully any problems with longevity with this scent.

+1 Agreed

No, this happens with every cologne. You get used to it and don't notice it anymore, even though it still projects. Also, this goes in the Just Starting Out forum.

Blog Entries

The longevity of L'Instant de Guerlain EDT is great on me; it lasts all day. The projection is great for the first couple of hours; it fades on the 3rd hour onwards but it always makes its presence felt if you know what I mean.

I wore this yesterday (non-extreme version) and it stayed with me for 10+ hours. I sprayed twice on my neck and once on each wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by JonVengeance View Post
    I wore this yesterday (non-extreme version) and it stayed with me for 10+ hours. I sprayed twice on my neck and once on each wrist.
    Likewise...the EDT has very good longevity on me. I think the OP must be experiencing olfactory fatigue.

never had this problem. sorry.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I found the regular EDT rather weak on me, and ended up selling it, may have just become immune to it after time, but didn't find much interesting about it even if it did last. I think it's pretty overrated IMHO, will stick with Habit Rouge or Heritage which I think are far superior.

I only have the Extreme version, and I find its projection and longevity to be almost embarrassing.

I had the EDT and I found it had very good longevity and projection. I also think the nose fatigues with this one quickly. I say that because the first time I wore it, I could smell it on me for 10hrs or so. The next time I wore it, it only seemed to last about 6hrs. And the next time I noticed it even less. To me, this is a classic case of olfactory fatigue. If I wear it infrequently, I always get around 8-9hrs of longevity.
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garçons
    Love & Luck by Ed Hardy
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    The longevity of L'Instant de Guerlain EDT is great on me; it lasts all day. The projection is great for the first couple of hours; it fades on the 3rd hour onwards but it always makes its presence felt if you know what I mean.
    Agree with this.

I got 10-12 hours from the EdT when I owned it. I got around 18 hours from the EdP.

The base is different than the opening, a hibiscus musk I don't find compelling. It's not as strong as the opening either, so my guess is that is the problem. Try spraying on clothing next time (it might stain so keep that in mind).

Sound Scents

While I am not a huge fan of the scent itself, longevity and projection have never been a problem for me with it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

No problems at all regarding sillage and longevity. The EDT lasts 8-10 hours on me and the EDP 12 hours plus. I'm puzzled sometimes when I hear this only lasts 4 hours on certain peoples skin.

5 sprays: 1 on the chest, 1 each side of neck, 1 each wrist.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I'm guessing you got the EDT which lasts on me for five hours where the Extreme version projects well and I get twelve hours or so.
    this

I only own the EDP Extreme version but I get excellent longevity and pretty good projection on it. It will last me 12 hours plus , I remember spraying one spray on a piece of paper in my bedroom when I first got it and I just left that piece of paper on my dresser, and for like the next 4-5 days I could still smell the wonderful scent every time I entered that room, it was AMAZING.

The sillage on it is pretty ridiculous (in a good way), I'll spray it on my skin BEFORE putting a shirt on , and I'll go about the cold day in a shirt and jacket, take the shirt off that night, and the next day I can still smell the scent coming off the shirt even tho I never sprayed it anywhere near it, the scent also latches on to my jacket which I can still catch whiffs of it off of up to 5-6 days later.

The scent is quite lovely tho , like a beautiful field of flowers that's getting covered in chocolate rain on a warm summer day.
    Last edited by psylence2k; 23rd February 2012 at 07:39 AM.

I had the exact same problem/experience you're having with the EDT.

I traded it.

I do not have the same problem with the Extreme version.

You could try using unscented (or barely scented) lotion under it.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    have never had thankfully any problems with longevity with this scent.
    & 1(edt & edp)

I bought a bottle of this three weeks ago I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work on me, but no luck yet. I've tried spraying more heavily, spraying my clothes, using moisturizing lotion before spraying, respraying repeatedly after scent fades - nothing works and I'm fairly certain the problem is not olfactory fatigue.

Yesterday, I was home alone, so I experimented with a heavier dose. I started with four sprays and then half an hour later, when I could no longer smell the fragrance, I re-sprayed - this time eight sprays. Eight sprays certainly projects well initially, but, believe it or not, in an hour it was barely detectable. Oh, well, c'est la vie, I'll keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Doji Dave View Post
    I bought a bottle of this three weeks ago I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work on me, but no luck yet. I've tried spraying more heavily, spraying my clothes, using moisturizing lotion before spraying, respraying repeatedly after scent fades - nothing works and I'm fairly certain the problem is not olfactory fatigue.

Yesterday, I was home alone, so I experimented with a heavier dose. I started with four sprays and then half an hour later, when I could no longer smell the fragrance, I re-sprayed - this time eight sprays. Eight sprays certainly projects well initially, but, believe it or not, in an hour it was barely detectable. Oh, well, c'est la vie, I'll keep trying.
    ...your brains must be temporarily poisoned by the other ten scents you wear...forget your other scents for a week or so, and come to enjoy the refined class of L'Instant.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...your brains must be temporarily poisoned by the other ten scents you wear...forget your other scents for a week or so, and come to enjoy the refined class of L'Instant.
    Hahaha. If you're right about the poisoning I hope you're also right about it being temporary. I do like your idea though. I'm going to give it a try.

I feel the same way about my L'Instant Guerlain Extreme! Ugh... I wanted to love it... I really did. When I first sprayed it, I did enjoy it. But after a full wear I realized this is waaaay to dark for me. It's a cocoa bomb. And I'm not a huge fan of chocolate, especially dark chocolate. I know cocoa isn't chocolate, it's the plant they use to MAKE it. Point is, I prefer slightly lighter scents like Amouage Jubilation XXV. I would sooooo swap my full bottle of Guerlain for half a bottle of that stuff... Any takers? lol but seriously, I'm either gonna swap it, or sell decants of it on eBay till it's gone.

^^^ I just got LIDGE and I love it. It's less citrusy and more cocoa-y which I like. The cocoa note is much nicer than the one in Dior Homme IMHO.

As for LIDG, I get 8 hours with 5 sprays. I can't see this cologne lasting only an hour b/c it's pretty heavy for the first 2-3 hours.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

This one has trouble for two reasons:

1) The scent itself is not a frontal assault, so it is easy to develop a tolerance for it to the point where it seems to disappear.

2) L'Instant de Guerlain becomes less noticeable on dry skin or in very dry rooms. Being in the middle of winter here makes the scent more difficult to stick around for as long. But if you break a sweat, it comes right back.

I always spray at least once on a sleeve or sweater as a quick check this scent is still around. If it seems to disappear on me, I smell my sleeve and it usually verifies it is still there -- it just faded because of olfactory fatigue.

I am a huge believer in layering scent on top of lotion in the winter months. After showering, slather the lotion on, allow it to dry, get dressed, and then apply fragrance. It's how I keep the pepper smell alive on Bang!, which is notorious for disappearing after application. Lotion is cheaper than reapplying scent every two hours, and helps keep your skin in good shape too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I only have the Extreme version, and I find its projection and longevity to be almost embarrassing.
    Really, its the opposite for me.

the EDt has below average longevity & projection on me. EDP has quite good projection though.